• redjambo

• Dagger Is Back

• Carl Fredrickson

• whodanny

Dagger Is Back

My financial well being

My business
My employees

Self employed so if I don’t work I don’t get paid. No customers means how can I pay my staff 

jambostuart
8 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My financial well being

My business
My employees

Self employed so if I don’t work I don’t get paid. No customers means how can I pay my staff 

This is the one which I think will be the biggest consequence of the virus.  Feel for anybody who is at risk financially or will potentially lose their job due to the virus and the effect on the economy. Between this and the uncertainty of Brexit, we are heading for some very challenging times and a lot of people will feel it in very real terms.

I hope everything works out for you mate. 

SectionDJambo

Glad I’m recently retired. 
Supposed to be going to the Grand National. Can’t see that happening with spectators now. 

Fear. I live with my two elderly parents (no, not in the basement, before anyone says anything). If I were somehow to blame for catching the virus and passing it on to my parents (one of whom meets almost all the "at risk" criteria), I'd find it a tad difficult to live with. So, I'm having to curtail almost everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

Dagger Is Back
17 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

This is the one which I think will be the biggest consequence of the virus.  Feel for anybody who is at risk financially or will potentially lose their job due to the virus and the effect on the economy. Between this and the uncertainty of Brexit, we are heading for some very challenging times and a lot of people will feel it in very real terms.

I hope everything works out for you mate. 

Thanks for that JS. I agree. The human cost is massive in terms of loss of life etc and that won’t be forgotten

As you say though, the economic fallout could be very challenging. In fact it could eclipse anything that many of us have seen in our lives

My wee business is a well respected and popular provider of children’s sports coaching

It’s not an essential spend though for families though when compared to heat/light, food etc

My customers come from every walk of life including many other self employed folks

People get laid off or perhaps have to work fewer hours and then have to prioritise expenditure.

If I lose customers I have to lay off my employees. I have to cancel classes at local sports centres and if other providers have to do likewise then it puts jobs there under pressure.

It’s an absolute nightmare and there will be people struggling everywhere. 

Imagine having an investment maturing now instead of say 3 months ago. Imagine the proceeds of that investment being required to provide an income or repay a mortgage etc

There’s already been a helluva lot of damage down and the longer it goes on....I shudder to think

Just now, redjambo said:

Fear. I live with my two elderly parents (no, not in the basement, before anyone says anything). If I were somehow to blame for catching the virus and passing it on to my parents (one of whom meets almost all the "at risk" criteria), I'd find it a tad difficult to live with. So, I'm having to curtail almost everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

That's stress full mate...  Changes are on the cards for many of us....

1 minute ago, hueyview said:

That's stress full mate...  Changes are on the cards for many of us....

Indeed. I feel lucky though - I've got it very easy compared to others. As well as folk affected by this economically, like Dagger, it's the folk who are receiving medical treatment (e.g. chemo) or who are due to have operations that I feel for. They must have no idea what is going to be happening over the 2-3 months to come, and how their treatment may be affected by the demands made on the NHS and its staff by the virus.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. I feel lucky though - I've got it very easy compared to others. As well as folk affected by this economically, like Dagger, it's the folk who are receiving medical treatment (e.g. chemo) or who are due to have operations that I feel for. They must have no idea what is going to be happening over the 2-3 months to come, and how their treatment may be affected by the demands made on the NHS and its staff by the virus.

I have a Renal appointment at the Royal, in a fortnight but I'm in fairly good fettle now.  So if they rearrange its OK.

Strangely I had an xray at lauriston today before the Cheltenham race, the department was empty, as was the prenatal and other waiting areas...    One lad at desk........  That will. No doubt change if things turn bad...

1 minute ago, hueyview said:

I have a Renal appointment at the Royal, in a fortnight but I'm in fairly good fettle now.  So if they rearrange its OK.

Strangely I had an xray at lauriston today before the Cheltenham race, the department was empty, as was the prenatal and other waiting areas...    One lad at desk........  That will. No doubt change if things turn bad...

Great to hear. :)

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Cheers mate..,

Dagger Is Back
29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Totally get that feeling of fear. I hope you’re all safe and in a few months life is as it was

If you did catch it though, you’re not to blame. 

We’ve set Mum up with Skype and shown her how to use FaceTime as I’d have the same concerns as you 

This thing is going to touch every one of us sadly. 😔

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Totally get that feeling of fear. I hope you’re all safe and in a few months life is as it was

If you did catch it though, you’re not to blame. 

We’ve set Mum up with Skype and shown her how to use FaceTime as I’d have the same concerns as you 

This thing is going to touch every one of us sadly. 😔

Thanks, Dagger. Same to you. :thumbsup:

Regarding the bit in bold, very good advice. My Mum said exactly the same thing to me today. But I'll make sure that I ca' canny anyway while the virus is about.

Absolutely shitting it for older family members with underlying health issues. 

I'd be really worried about my dad if he catches it tbh. 

:sob:

Knowing how fearful potential girlfriend's are of catching the virus,  even before you have the courage to kiss them.....   :)

Mac_fae_Gillie

Visiting my 82yr old Mum who has dementia on hold for now

Going to make no foreign travel plans at all this year and save money

Hopefully going to get a lot of overtime next few months

Got tendonitis in left shoulder which will not be sorted for some time.

effectively written this year off and plan to save money/make money

and enjoy next year to the fullest.

I'm worried about my wife, because of blood clots. I'm worried because I'm self employed and it's but, a matter of time before building sites are closed. 

I worry about my family full stop.

Sport and leisure, I don't give a shit about, when push come to shove.

I hear the Italian outbreak is a total different outbreak from China. So?

My wife has Cystic Fibrosis,  if she gets the virus she stands pretty much nae chance if surviving. She is a teacher so has already had to self isolate. From now on she has to work from home but hasn't been told how, although has been told it could be for 3 months😯.

I'm a greenkeeper so working outdoors reasonably safe but still trying to avoid folk. It's a pain in the arse. If I caught it the guilt of taking it home would be tough 😔

7 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Glad I’m recently retired. 
Supposed to be going to the Grand National. Can’t see that happening with spectators now. 

When you look at the death toll on the over 50s you shouldn't be, only 2 deaths in Italy were people under 50.

6 minutes ago, Herbert said:

When you look at the death toll on the over 50s you shouldn't be, only 2 deaths in Italy were people under 50.

That's the spirit! Do u do motivational speaking? Daniel should have you in for the team talks.

7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Know how you feel. Wife and I look after her mother who is in her 80s and not great health. I'm realistic about things, wife usually is but, understandably so, not with her mother.

My own parents are not in great health either and are both in the at risk category. As I live the other end of the country from them, it is my sister who will be feeling the same with them. I'm stuck between taking time off to visit them, or thinking if I do I out them more at risk. Obviously, phones  alls between us have increased recently.

34 minutes ago, superjack said:

Know how you feel. Wife and I look after her mother who is in her 80s and not great health. I'm realistic about things, wife usually is but, understandably so, not with her mother.

My own parents are not in great health either and are both in the at risk category. As I live the other end of the country from them, it is my sister who will be feeling the same with them. I'm stuck between taking time off to visit them, or thinking if I do I out them more at risk. Obviously, phones  alls between us have increased recently.

Shit mate ain't it.My mum hits so many danger zones luckily my sister lives 10 mins away as she is on her own after my Dad passed I'm actually glad that she has remained independent and a hardy wee soul at 78 as it's maybe best for her to.live alone but with my sister not far away if she needs anything.My mum's main problem is though despite the health problems she has she still thinks she can take on the world which is good in a way but I worry that she thinks of this as nothing much.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

I’m quite  fit for my age. Do a lot of walking and cycling. Very lucky in that I seem to have inherited a family gene of looking and feeling younger than I am.
My big concern would be catching it and passing it onto somebody else with health problems. 
I think the decision will be taken out of my hands anyway. I would reckon that the toilet facilities, for thousands of the people who would be there, would be a major issue. Those hopeless wee portacabin things that are covered in piss after a couple of hours, with poor hand washing, won’t be much of a help for the personal hygiene recommendations.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, robbodog said:

My wife has Cystic Fibrosis,  if she gets the virus she stands pretty much nae chance if surviving. She is a teacher so has already had to self isolate. From now on she has to work from home but hasn't been told how, although has been told it could be for 3 months😯.

I'm a greenkeeper so working outdoors reasonably safe but still trying to avoid folk. It's a pain in the arse. If I caught it the guilt of taking it home would be tough 😔

That’s really shit.

I hope things work out alright.

I have 2 elderly Dads and a daughter with a dodgy immune system. That’s a worry. Not that arsed otherwise. Can live without watching us or West Ham this season to be honest.

Be gutted if can’t go to Canada to see the Bairn in August mind

I drive a black taxi, absolutely on my knees after Jan and Feb. Was starting to pickup Tues and Wed this week which were fairly good. Thursday someone flicked a switch.

Airport is a ghost town.

Town is deserted.

Playhouse/football etc the bread and butter are gone.

I'll struggle to pay my taxi rent this week and the way it's going, I definetly wont even cover expenses next week.

My sister bought a b&b a year ago, she has had a tough first year and starting to find her feet. Bookings are ok she says, but wont take much to tip her over the edge.

Photographer next door depends 100% on tourists for his tours. He was struggling last year big time and this could end his business aswell.

I know so many people that live week to week. Just hope the banks are going to be reasonable when it comes to things like mortgage payments.

Robbo-Jambo
6 hours ago, Herbert said:

Sure he will be glad to hear that. :cornette:

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Phage said:

I drive a black taxi, absolutely on my knees after Jan and Feb. Was starting to pickup Tues and Wed this week which were fairly good. Thursday someone flicked a switch.

Airport is a ghost town.

Town is deserted.

Playhouse/football etc the bread and butter are gone.

I'll struggle to pay my taxi rent this week and the way it's going, I definetly wont even cover expenses next week.

My sister bought a b&b a year ago, she has had a tough first year and starting to find her feet. Bookings are ok she says, but wont take much to tip her over the edge.

Photographer next door depends 100% on tourists for his tours. He was struggling last year big time and this could end his business aswell.

I know so many people that live week to week. Just hope the banks are going to be reasonable when it comes to things like mortgage payments.

I’ve been running a b & b for the last 12 years.....last year was the busiest time and, as it stands, this year is just as busy, I have bookings right through the summer, of course these can still be cancelled.

Some tourist expert the other day said a lot of folk from England/wales will be heading north for this years holidays.  I’m staying optimistic. 

It's not effecting me greatly, lucky I know, I work in pretty remote areas most of the time, so it's not effected my work. I've no elderly relatives, neither has my wife, my son is 13 and his school is still open so no change there, his club rugby game is on tomorrow.

I feel for the people on here when I hear about thier concerns though. 

The Internet

I'm not the least bit worried about myself but like most there are older relatives or relatives with underlying health issues™ who I'm just hoping won't be affected. 

Overall I'm just pissed there's no fitbaw for the foreseeable. 

13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Same boat. My dad is nearly 80 and in an old folks home who have decided to ban visitors, allowing entry to staff only. Hoping these self imposed measures will be enough. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I’ve been running a b & b for the last 12 years.....last year was the busiest time and, as it stands, this year is just as busy, I have bookings right through the summer, of course these can still be cancelled.

Some tourist expert the other day said a lot of folk from England/wales will be heading north for this years holidays.  I’m staying optimistic. 

I would imagine there’ll more people in the UK will just here and tour in the country.

16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My financial well being

My business
My employees

This my position, been looking at the figures today, trying to work out how to keep my employees in work and i can only say it is grim. 

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I am in the Scottish Borders running a small 14 bedroom Hotel and for the whole of April i have just  31 nights booked out.Just waiting for the Melrose 7s to be cancelled and my numbers will get lower. 

Dagger Is Back
11 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

This my position, been looking at the figures today, trying to work out how to keep my employees in work and i can only say it is grim. 

Sorry to hear that mate. Tough times and tough decisions ahead for sure.

Would be lying if I said I’m not losing sleep over it. 

Best of luck to you. The fact that you’re sitting down, looking at figures and preparing yourself, is all you can do at the moment 

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I would imagine there’ll more people in the UK will just here and tour in the country.

That’s what I’m saying.  The gap in foreigners will be filled by brits.

Not ideal for everyone as bigger business will suffer, large hotel chains, bus tour companies, airlines, cruises etc...etc....  

I Was branching out this year to include guided tours as well as accommodation but, not sure how it will pan out now.

16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My financial well being

My business
My employees

I part own a small business as well. Entirely involves engineers visiting other businesses, so that’s that pretty much screwed when this escalates. Already told staff if we close there’ll be no wages, I’ll be paying nothing. No VAT, paye, zilch. Nothing in and nothing out if we close. Will deal with it when we re-open. 

Dagger Is Back
21 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Agreed that people would do that  instead of going abroad. However, depending on how long this lasts, the economic impact could last for a while. I fear massive job losses, across every industry and a spiral in to recession which means people having to and choosing to tighten their purse strings

Dagger Is Back
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I part own a small business as well. Entirely involves engineers visiting other businesses, so that’s that pretty much screwed when this escalates. Already told staff if we close there’ll be no wages, I’ll be paying nothing. No VAT, paye, zilch. Nothing in and nothing out if we close. Will deal with it when we re-open. 

Yip that's me too. That's bad enough in terms of the staff impact,  but how can we pay our mortgage etc. if we have no money coming in? We still have those fixed overheads on a personal level that just won't go away. Just an absolute nightmare

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yip that's me too. That's bad enough in terms of the staff impact,  but how can we pay our mortgage etc. if we have no money coming in? We still have those fixed overheads on a personal level that just won't go away. Just an absolute nightmare

It’s awful. I’ve been overpaying my mortgage so not got much savings and the savings I do have are in inaccessible fixed term deals  bar a very small amount. On a personal level I’ve got money for six weeks max, without wages coming in before I struggle. Not going to be enough. The uncertainty leaves you feeling a bit helpless. We’re opening next week, or some of it, but past that who knows.

55 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I booked my holiday to the south of france in Jan for may. Cant see that happening now.

Dont cancel wait for travel restrictions and get your cash back. Then have a nice break touring the Scottish establishments 🙂

Was speaking to a member of staff from a large hotel on George Street. They were booked out 100% for the next few months. That's dropped to 25% last week and continues to nose dive.

10 hours ago, superjack said:

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Same boat. My dad is nearly 80 and in an old folks home who have decided to ban visitors, allowing entry to staff only. Hoping these self imposed measures will be enough. 

I'm not being morbid or that but we know because we're realistic, if any older people or anyone with health issues catches this, then they aren't going to make it unfortunately. 

I worry about these folk and the Government don't seem to be taking all the necessary precautions to safeguard these people. 

I can understand fully small business owners concerns and if the government can bail out banks, they can also put in some financial stimulus to help out businesses in this time.

12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm not being morbid or that but we know because we're realistic, if any older people or anyone with health issues catches this, then they aren't going to make it unfortunately. 

I worry about these folk and the Government don't seem to be taking all the necessary precautions to safeguard these people. 

I can understand fully small business owners concerns and if the government can bail out banks, they can also put in some financial stimulus to help out businesses in this time.

Hope you and yours stay healthy 👍

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I know what you mean. As I said, I'm realistic, and the wife is, but just not admitting it when it  comes to her mother, totally understandable.

We've also got a holiday in New York booked in june, this being cancelled is totally accepted. Hopefully it goes ahead, if it doesn't, there are worse things to lose.

Edited by superjack

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s awful. I’ve been overpaying my mortgage so not got much savings and the savings I do have are in inaccessible fixed term deals  bar a very small amount. On a personal level I’ve got money for six weeks max, without wages coming in before I struggle. Not going to be enough. The uncertainty leaves you feeling a bit helpless. We’re opening next week, or some of it, but past that who knows.

Likewise. I reckon we’ve got 2 maybe 3 months. You might find that access to savings as you describe is somehow facilitated. 

I know you and I are talking about the self employed angle but there could be massive job losses across the country and the Government will need to seriously look at what emergency procedures can be introduced.

Did I not read that RBS had said that mortgage repayment holidays would be available?

Like you, I feel helpless. If my hall partners close, tend to be church halls, schools and sports centres, or there’s a quarantine, we’re goosed.

Can only continue as we can for now and roll with whatever comes our way.

Hope it works our Ok for you buddy

Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

Likewise. I reckon we’ve got 2 maybe 3 months. You might find that access to savings as you describe is somehow facilitated. 

I know you and I are talking about the self employed angle but there could be massive job losses across the country and the Government will need to seriously look at what emergency procedures can be introduced.

Did I not read that RBS had said that mortgage repayment holidays would be available?

Like you, I feel helpless. If my hall partners close, tend to be church halls, schools and sports centres, or there’s a quarantine, we’re goosed.

Can only continue as we can for now and roll with whatever comes our way.

Hope it works our Ok for you buddy

You too mate. Happier, more certain times ahead I’m sure. 

On 13/03/2020 at 23:16, hueyview said:

Football

Travelling.. Taxi/Bus/Train/Tram/Plane etc

Attending Hospital

I have a pre-op assessment on 1/4/2020 for upcoming major surgery. Still going ahead it seems, only thing that concerns me is the hospital I'm referred to has previously been the centre of a MRSA outbreak. Worse still its supposed to be a state of the art modern hospital. 

At least if I cough on my morning commute to work I can have 2 seats to myself on the train. The speed that people move away from you is quite amusing.

Edited by Marvin