European Class

mickycameron98

mickycameron98

Watching Rangers v Leverkusen tonight. The goals European teams score against Scottish teams are usually different class. I remember a few occasions against us, Bordeaux at Tynecastle being an example. That Braga goal at ibrox. Always interesting to watch, any other crackers I'm missing? 

4 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Augenthaler's goal against us.

A beauty !  But wee JCs would have been a peach of a goal too. I'm convinced to this day that the keeper got a touch.

Салатные палочки

The first Braga goal at Ibrox was a peach. 

To be honest I'm struggling to remember the goals scored against us in Europe. Mallorca? Red Star? Atletico? All I remember is the silence. 

I seem to remember both AEK goals being good but that might just be because they pummelled us. They were a cut above. 

N Lincs Jambo
16 minutes ago, whodanny said:

A beauty !  But wee JCs would have been a peach of a goal too. I'm convinced to this day that the keeper got a touch.

He did. JC was apoplectic with rage that we didn’t get a corner from it. Still a great European trip though

mickycameron98
9 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The first Braga goal at Ibrox was a peach. 

To be honest I'm struggling to remember the goals scored against us in Europe. Mallorca? Red Star? Atletico? All I remember is the silence. 

I seem to remember both AEK goals being good but that might just be because they pummelled us. They were a cut above. 

They were. I remember thinking how are we winning? Then 2 goals in last 5 minutes I just thought, fully deserved if not hard to take.

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Never seen this 1 tbf

Rangers mate "Smith should have saved it"

Wind on a couple months

Augentauler scores another at Ibrox. 😀

Fozzyonthefence
38 minutes ago, WageThief said:

And iirc he did it again about 6 months later at Ibrox in the European Cup. 

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

And iirc he did it again about 6 months later at Ibrox in the European Cup. 

But with half the ferocity at Ibrox.

Was with German mates in the Bayern end, great night.

Ex member of the SaS

Watched the game too and can never understand the mentality of these teams, They score and do nothing until the opposition score then it's panic stations. Why not get into them when you are on top? Great result and just a pity the Huns got the consolation goal.

On another point, the away game behind closed doors and this may happen here. What is to stop us playing a recording of our fans in full voice just to intimidate the opposition in an other wise silent stadium?

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, mickycameron98 said:

Watching Rangers v Leverkusen tonight. The goals European teams score against Scottish teams are usually different class. I remember a few occasions against us, Bordeaux at Tynecastle being an example. That Braga goal at ibrox. Always interesting to watch, any other crackers I'm missing? 

Chances are Malmo have scored a raker or two?

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Kenny Black kept backing off but it was a peach.  Great trip though.

9 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

He did. JC was apoplectic with rage that we didn’t get a corner from it. Still a great European trip though

Slightly off topic, but didn’t JC also glance a header off the post in the second half? Other people who were at the match with me didn’t see it, but I’m convinced he did. Quite late on, I think. 

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, WageThief said:

Stevie Wonder could see that one coming........he almost wound his leg up before smacking the ball.......I think everyone ducked.

10 hours ago, whodanny said:

I still think he is going to score whenever I see that!!

Calebs Grandad
10 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Watched the game too and can never understand the mentality of these teams, They score and do nothing until the opposition score then it's panic stations. Why not get into them when you are on top? Great result and just a pity the Huns got the consolation goal.

On another point, the away game behind closed doors and this may happen here. What is to stop us playing a recording of our fans in full voice just to intimidate the opposition in an other wise silent stadium?

Budge doesn’t like noise. 

Bordeaux scored a cracker at Tynecastle, I was sat right behind the goals and it was like slow motion, felt sure I could have got out of my seat and saved it.

In fact they scored 2 crackers that night. ☹️

Edited by graygo

11 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

Never seen this 1 tbf

I'm only old enough to have worn out 'back from the brink' but I've seen it many times.  A lot of weird images are burned into my brain - like a guy with moustache pumping his fist wearing a wedding ring celebrating a goal (against Hibs I think).  It's only on here in the last couple of years I've realised the significance of stuff like the Tannadice game with Robbo's goal when he rounds the keeper which has a weird magical quality for me like watching Tom & Jerry or SuperTed.  Even a lot of the commentary takes on a musical quality, I can remember the notes and flow of a lot of the commentary more than the words.

Maybe I will have a son and he'll get me back by watching the upcoming BBC documentary on repeat for the next 3 years.

Pretty sure after the Augenthaler goal his name pops up on the screen and his number (5?).  I could never understand what the 5 and 'Klaus' was all about!  I think I used to think it was rating the goal!

Edited by WageThief

AEK scored a really good header and a long range, deflected one which was a bit of a sickener at the end. Having said that, they battered us that night.

Albert Riera, who went on to play for Liverpool, scored the 40 yarder at Tynecastle for Bordeaux. That was an absolutely outrageous goal, possibly one of the best I’ve seen.

I’m pretty sure Schalke’s goal against us at Murrayfield was a bit of a screamer as well but can’t be sure.

The biggest difference I notice in European matches is every side Rangers have faced, they all take the ball in “difficult” spaces and with players on. The touch is totally different as well and they play passes better than us, and by that I mean the weight, the spin on the ball, the pace of the ball etc and they pass to their team mates strongest foot. I think by 20 minutes Rangers had 30 successful passes and Bayern had about 200 🙈. They also don’t panic and very rarely play hopeful balls. Loads of times last night they’d create great space down the lines and no one would be in the box so they’d work it back to the defence and start again, no panic. The little subtle differences last night show how far behind we are in all aspects. One boy pulled the ball out the sky, set himself up for a shot all in the one movement and one touch. The ball taken down and rolled off his foot into the space and on his strongest side and he got a shot away. All of Rangers best bits came from sort of blood and thunder style football. Sliding tackles, hurrying them and pushing them off the ball. Don’t know the stats off the top of my head but I don’t think Rangers had a shot on target from open play and scored from a corner. We aren’t fit in this country either. 

5 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I still think he is going to score whenever I see that!!

Maybe we will all wake up, with a monumental hangover, having dreamt the last thirty years and it will be the next day. Wee John scored and our away goal has seen us into the semi final. What a fantastic ending to the season we have to look forward to.

6 hours ago, leginten said:

Slightly off topic, but didn’t JC also glance a header off the post in the second half? Other people who were at the match with me didn’t see it, but I’m convinced he did. Quite late on, I think. 

It was Robbo. Should have scored but just glanced it past the post (didn’t hit it)

26 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Maybe we will all wake up, with a monumental hangover, having dreamt the last thirty years and it will be the next day. Wee John scored and our away goal has seen us into the semi final. What a fantastic ending to the season we have to look forward to.

Maradona at Tynecastle!!

18 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Maradona at Tynecastle!!

Kept quiet by Big Slim and Chuck Berry, meanwhile up the other end the real wizards, Robbo, JC and Fozzy would be doing their magic. 

(I'm actually making myself feel a wee bit sad, in the light of our present situation, reminicing about the past. )

21 hours ago, whodanny said:

It would have bern a truly great and significant goal.  I often think of it.  Brilliant.

59 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

It would have bern a truly great and significant goal.  I often think of it.  Brilliant.

Memories Doug. What will we look back on when we look back at this season ? Two victories at Fester ? Beating Sevco in two significant fixtures, ruining their season ? But ultimately they mean nothing if we don't stay up. just as JCs near miss and Fergies screamer at Tynie led to nothing. Oh boy, but what memories. I love The Heart Of Midlothian.