ftse 100 stock market crash 9.5% today!!!!!

Masonic

14 minutes ago, Masonic said:

wow any of u seen this wonder what boris is going to say when he gets out of the cobra meeting

Anyone got any loo roll?

Edited by Lovecraft

Jambo-Jimbo

Here's an interesting stat that was mentioned just now on the TV.

The Dow Jones is lower now, then when Trump took over, all the gains over the last few years have been wiped out.

Obviously it'll be Obama's fault.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Here's an interesting stat that was mentioned just now on the TV.

The Dow Jones is lower now, then when Trump took over, all the gains over the last few years have been wiped out.

Obviously it'll be Obama's fault.

That's the thing about stock markets, very temperamental beasts. Anyone know how it compares to the 2008 crash? 

I'm no expert, but I think if the markets continue to fall like this, they'll be suspended. It's almost an  unrealistic position we're in. I don't know if anything like that has happened before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Davos punters are about to say enough is enough. 

14 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's the thing about stock markets, very temperamental beasts. Anyone know how it compares to the 2008 crash? 

Very close to a similar crash but as this is a one-off pandemic and not a systemic problem with the entire global banking industry it should recover quicker

AlphonseCapone
18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Very close to a similar crash but as this is a one-off pandemic and not a systemic problem with the entire global banking industry it should recover quicker

Basically a case of buckle down and ride it out? 

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Pretty much.

The markets & investors hate uncertainty, unfortunately there's an abundance of that right now.

42 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I’ve went home with woman like that before. 

It's quite crazy. I sold some of my works shares 4 weeks ago at £1.32 each and they've closed today at 84p. Got lucky!

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Cade said:

I wouldn’t think so - unlike 2008 this is a problem with every sector, if this lasts for 6 months lots of companies won’t survive it..

It won't last months.

Anybody who gets ill will get ill then either die or recover in a matter of a couple of weeks then get back to work.

Cold and clinic that may be, but them's the facts.

Unless, of course, it mutates and we get a 2nd wave.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

It won't last months.

Anybody who gets ill will get ill then either die or recover in a matter of a couple of weeks then get back to work.

Cold and clinic that may be, but them's the facts.

Unless, of course, it mutates and we get a 2nd wave.

Yeah 70 million people in the UK aren’t getting it in the next month.. it’ll last until a vaccine is widely available.

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

A lot of companies won’t survive it but that’s not necessarily bad for the markets. Companies will go bust and others will take advantage of that. 

Aviation Industry a good example they are getting smacked silly recently, some will go under. Other airlines will consolidate and grow from having new opportunities. Someone like Ryanair potentially benefit massively from this. These companies will be massively undervalued and when the wheels of the world start turning again many companies will grow quickly by taking advantage of changes. 

The markets love growth and they will have that from lots of areas. 

I don’t often agree with Cade but he’s called it pretty accurately. Markets don’t give that much of a duck about deaths they do care about the uncertainty and the restrictions though. That is most certainly a temporary situation. 

Of course it’s temporary but the timeframe is closer to 12 months than 1. There is nothing to suggest this will be manageable in a month or 2

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Personal opinion we ain’t at the bottom yet. So maybe a little too early to go. However, in a number of months maybe less, when we understand this better I would suggest it’s a great time to invest. Will be lots of bargains to be had and you will be buying low and therefore benefit most from the growth that will occur.

There is a lot of stats out there on how markets recover from these things. If you are interested I would encourage you do a bit of reading and you will find it quite enlightening and probably help you make your mind up.

Just in simple terms the FTSE was about double the value it was after the 2008  In about 10 years. Whilst other like the S&P quadrupled. Not sure you get that sort of return from banks or even property.

Long term investment are what the stock markets is about for your average investor. You aren’t a trader, I don’t think, so don’t act like one trying to get quick returns. Long terms patterns are pretty predictable though.

That’s really informative bud, thanks! I may well dip in but as you say it’ll be for a long waiting game. 👍

57 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Worth a wee investment just now then and play the waiting game? 

Certainly not a time to sell. I’ll be upping the AVCs in my pension. 

It's funny though, looking at 10 or even 5 year performance charts events like this are just a little blip.

If you're investing in the long run then you'll be fine. I've had some good returns over the years and much better than having cash gathering dust.

1 hour ago, Ritchez said:

It's funny though, looking at 10 or even 5 year performance charts events like this are just a little blip.

If you're investing in the long run then you'll be fine. I've had some good returns over the years and much better than having cash gathering dust.

As the old saying goes, it’s time in the market not timing the market. 

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Worth a wee investment just now then and play the waiting game? 

Only bet what you can afford to lose. Not an expert, far from it, but as others have said, there could be money to be made if you’re prepared to run the marathon.

My SIPP has taken a doing but hopefully the sale of the in laws house will go through next month. If it does, I’ll be paying in to the SIPP, getting tax relief on the contribution and then hopefully watch it grow

gashauskis9

Stay patient folks, if you save regularly you’ll come out of this well.  Pound Cost Averaging is a wonderful thing, it means your money goes further.  You haven’t lost a penny until you take the money out.  Gains/losses are merely hypothetical until you liquidate time cash.

Eg, if you save £200 a month and the cost of shares is currently £2 per share, you’ll be able to buy 100 shares today.  If the share price goes up to £3 next month, then next month you’d only be able to buy 66 shares, but the £200 you invested last month will have increased to £300.  Overall, at the end of the 2nd month, you’d own 166 shares and they’d be worth £500 (a gain of £100).

The most vulnerable just now are those drawing down on their investments in retirement.

13 hours ago, IronJambo said:

It's quite crazy. I sold some of my works shares 4 weeks ago at £1.32 each and they've closed today at 84p. Got lucky!

Catch the falling knife and buy them back.

1 hour ago, jb102 said:

Catch the falling knife and buy them back.

In a different time and circumstance I maybe would but I held them from a BAYE scheme and sold them tax free when they passed a palatable threshold. It was only a 3rd of my holdings and gave me back everything I paid in and I'm stuck with the rest for a couple of years at least.  It's an up and down stock that I don't really want to keep long term.  Aside from that, I already bought my Mrs a watch with the money 🤣

If anyone uses a SIPP and is a 40% tax payer, its time to fill your boots. 

You can effectively buy the FTSE100 at 3300ish

Happy days. 

Or wait - this could even get cheaper. 

Edited by The Brow

Dagger Is Back
7 minutes ago, The Brow said:

If anyone uses a SIPP and is a 40% tax payer, its time to fill your boots. 

You can effectively buy the FTSE100 at 3300ish

Happy days. 

Or wait - this could even get cheaper. 

Yip. I'm looking at this just now. SIPP hasn't been crystallised but I took some TFC out. Would be good to have taken cash out when the FTSE was up at 7500 or so and then pay back in at current levels

8 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yip. I'm looking at this just now. SIPP hasn't been crystallised but I took some TFC out. Would be good to have taken cash out when the FTSE was up at 7500 or so and then pay back in at current levels

Yeah hindsght is a wonderful thing! 

Ive made my own fund to stick this years contribution into, already got 34% off what I was going to buy at last week but I waited after seeing a few posts on an instagram stock broker I follow. Its a long term fund tho so im not overly arsed but its nice to get it cheaper. Should end up giving me around 8-10% a year plus whatever I make when the stocks bounce. 

Gold mining looks a tremendous buy just now. If I had any spare cash Id be sticking it into AAZ, CEY or HGM as theyre the stocks I usually buy.