Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I don't know but I suspect the budget airlines utilise the self drop service more than the flag carriers as it's more cost effective. The queues might be for the staffed check ins.

That's it, the media love bad news, they didn't mention where in the process the hold ups were. Suppose just pitch up a wee bit earlier and enjoy the Brewdog bar, maybe sleep on the flight...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Two sets of Ryanair flights to Malta cancelled already this year for 'Commercial/Operational' reasons. Went onto Skyscanner an hour after receiving the email and the cheeky *******s were still selling the flights.

TBF, Ryanair processed the refunds quickly and easily.

What month were you due to fly with Ryanair?

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Back in January and also next month.

Bummer...☹️ So much background stuff going on to eek as much dough out the punters as possible, needs regulated properly. I took vouchers for cancelled flights for Aug 20. Used them Oct last year. If I had opted for the cash, Id've been £500 better off, live and learn...

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, OBE said:

Edinburgh security check has been fairly consistent, 4/8 minutes. Has anyone checked-in hold baggage in the last week, is so, how long did it take please? 

Security doesn't seem to be the problem, it's everywhere else that's the issue.

Miss JJ now works out of Edinburgh Airport having transferred from Gatwick and this is what happened just a couple of days ago.

All the passengers were on board, they were ready to go.......except there was no luggage, the luggage train hadn't arrived to load the luggage yet, it eventually arrived and they got away an hour late.

The Paris flight this lunchtime, which was posted about above, it was on time, but the Madrid flight before it was 45 mins late taking off, it really seems to be luck of the draw right now, as some flights are getting away on time but lots aren't.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Miss JJ now works out of Edinburgh Airport having transferred from Gatwick and this is what happened just a couple of days ago.

All the passengers were on board, they were ready to go.......except there was no luggage, the luggage train hadn't arrived to load the luggage yet, it eventually arrived and they got away an hour late.

The Paris flight this lunchtime, which was posted about above, it was on time, but the Madrid flight before it was 45 mins late taking off, it really seems to be luck of the draw right now, as some flights are getting away on time but lots aren't.

In the current climate JJ, I'll settle for my arse getting on the plane...on time.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Since that Madrid flight at noon there's been 22 flights departed from Edinburgh. Paphos flight was 38 minutes late all the rest were pretty much on time and certainly within 20 minutes of their scheduled departure time which I can live with. 

Hopefully it doesn't get any worse than that.

On 31/03/2022 at 10:02, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Cost of flights are rocketing, it seems.

We were looking at a few places for a few days city break, Madrid came up ok, around about £160 all in from Edinburgh.

Looked again yesterday and for the same dates in June it's now £300 all in, near enough doubled in the space of a week.

The days of cheap flights are over, methinks.

I booked Madrid first week in January for £65 return going start of June. Those prices you are quoting are unreal 

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, graygo said:

Since that Madrid flight at noon there's been 22 flights departed from Edinburgh. Paphos flight was 38 minutes late all the rest were pretty much on time and certainly within 20 minutes of their scheduled departure time which I can live with. 

Hopefully it doesn't get any worse than that.

Like I said luck of the draw the now.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Like I said luck of the draw the now.

1 out of 22 flights delayed (even then it was less than an hour) is decent odds and probably not too different from "normal".

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, theshed said:

I booked Madrid first week in January for £65 return going start of June. Those prices you are quoting are unreal 

You've done well, as I've just looked again right now and for the dates in June which we were thinking about it's now £168.98 per person return, that's £337.96 for the two of us, and that's the basic cost, if you added on your choice of seats & one hold bag it'll now cost you a total of £411.40.   Needless to say we are not going, no way are we paying that for 2/3 days away, what we'll do is book somewhere well in advance.

14 minutes ago, theshed said:

Simply not true to say "The days of cheap flights are over"

Screenshot_20220406-152033.png

Edited by graygo

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

1 out of 22 flights delayed (even then it was less than an hour) is decent odds and probably not too different from "normal".

Today things seem ok, other days it's not been so great.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Today things seem ok, other days it's not been so great.

I'll be keeping everything crossed, hate delays.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You've done well, as I've just looked again right now and for the dates in June which we were thinking about it's now £168.98 per person return, that's £337.96 for the two of us, and that's the basic cost, if you added on your choice of seats & one hold bag it'll now cost you a total of £411.40.   Needless to say we are not going, no way are we paying that for 2/3 days away, what we'll do is book somewhere well in advance.

I wouldn’t pay those prices myself. 
I haven’t booked a bag or seats as only away a weekend so rucksack will do me.  

Was in Tenerife back in January for £70 return with jet2 (amazing price) Looking to go back in November and  they want nearly £300 now…. No paying that 

Samuel Camazzola
On 31/03/2022 at 09:35, OBE said:

Tenerife South (entry), any major delays at passport control/security?

I landed in Tenerife last week. No issues. 

You can either enter using the self scan passport terminals or have the old school approach of someone manually check it (and now apply a stamp). 

Just beyond there, someone will check the locator form. I had mine printed and it was just a case of it being scanned then being waved through. 

Bags were there for collection in minutes. Booked taxi waiting outside and at hotel in 10 minutes! 😎 

If Edinburgh Airport complains that they are “struggling” due to lack of staff well they can royally go and **** themselves!!!

Rapidly got rid of my daughter who worked there the minute lockdown started. She loved that job. Feck em!

Shanks said no

Flew Edinburgh - Fuerteventura last month and didn't have any real issues at either end. 

Did Manchester - Fuerteventura in November and it was obvious then that Manchester weren't coping. Arrived over 3 hours before flight and didn't have a spare minute to get food / duty free or a drink. Management at the airport have had 4 months to gear up and have obviously failed.

I've passed through the airport 3 times in the past month. No issues checking in/dropping bags with Easyjet or Jet2. Security a bit slow despite no significant queues, but nothing that would have any consequence other than a bit of frustration. All flights on time.

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You can either enter using the self scan passport terminals or have the old school approach of someone manually check it (and now apply a stamp). 

Just beyond there, someone will check the locator form. I had mine printed and it was just a case of it being scanned then being waved through. 

Bags were there for collection in minutes. Booked taxi waiting outside and at hotel in 10 minutes! 😎 

Thanks for that update, appreciated. Last Oct was mayhem, 5 flights landed within 10 minutes of each other, the passengers were then corralled towards 2 passport stampers. 1 hour to reach baggage claim, the carousel had stopped rotating with just a dozen cases on it, one of which was ours. 

Samuel Camazzola
14 minutes ago, OBE said:

Thanks for that update, appreciated. Last Oct was mayhem, 5 flights landed within 10 minutes of each other, the passengers were then corralled towards 2 passport stampers. 1 hour to reach baggage claim, the carousel had stopped rotating with just a dozen cases on it, one of which was ours. 

I may have got fortunate but a Glasgow flight arrived at same time and joined same passport queue. Seemed to flow at expected pace. Arrival was early afternoon with several baggage carousels in operation from different arrivals. All looked to be functioning as well as can be. 

My flight was a Jet2 where the disembark protocols are the front rows get to leave first. This should have been implemented pre COVID instead of the usual stampede. However, the stampede is not eradicated if you need to board a bus to take you to the terminal. When I sense someone is a bit too eager to press ahead, I deliberately get in their way to slow them down! 😂 

12 hours ago, graygo said:

I agree, I'm booked onto a flight to Paris at this time next week and everything seems fine for the equivalent flight today. 🤞

Screenshot_20220406-131933.png

15 hours ago, OBE said:

Edinburgh security check has been fairly consistent, 4/8 minutes. Has anyone checked-in hold baggage in the last week, is so, how long did it take please? 

Flew from Edinburgh to Alicante yesterday with easyJet, took less than 5 minutes to check in our bags, this was for a 6.15 am flight, Jet2 looked quick as well, there was a big big queue at bag check in next to easyJet not sure which airline as we were through that quick, security and hand luggage was nice and easy as well

9 hours ago, OBE said:

Sounds unlucky. We went in October and flew through no problems. 

14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I use Reina Sofia Airport often, I've never seen the "self scan passport terminals" (new addition maybe) it should be the way to go if the punters can follow basic photo down, glasses & hat off instructions...:brows:.

Aye, private transfer is the way to go also...:cool:

3 hours ago, OBE said:

Thanks for that Bud!

Was yours the self service bag-drop?

Yes, and our flight was full,with another easyJet flight that left just before ours

Edited by shauncl

1 hour ago, OBE said:

I use Reina Sofia Airport often, I've never seen the "self scan passport terminals" (new addition maybe) it should be the way to go if the punters can follow basic photo down, glasses & hat off instructions...:brows:.

I watched my wife getting irate because it wouldn't work, I had to explain to her that facial recognition doesn't work too well if you have a face mask on. 😄

4 minutes ago, shauncl said:

Yes, worst part was trying to sit on those crappy benches they have

Eh?...Sorry Bud but, how are you tying in crappy benches with self service bag-drop?

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

I watched my wife getting irate because it wouldn't work, I had to explain to her that facial recognition doesn't work too well if you have a face mask on. 😄

:biggrin2:..Easy done, I can sympathise with her, I've been ready to go on the 1st tee muzzled...:(, I can claim it's an age thing...

6 hours ago, OBE said:

Eh?...Sorry Bud but, how are you tying in crappy benches with self service bag-drop?

After you've went through security and just after you go through duty free, waiting to find out what gate to go to the benches are sh**e

20 minutes ago, shauncl said:

After you've went through security and just after you go through duty free, waiting to find out what gate to go to the benches are sh**e

:thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, OBE said:

I'm not sure why they were in use when the border control guys were stamping British passports. 

27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm not sure why they were in use when the border control guys were stamping British passports. 

Maybe European citizens only. Since Brexit, I've been stamped in Porto, Tenerife and Malaga...

Doctor FinnBarr
13 hours ago, OBE said:

They were there before lockdown as I used them, not allowed to use them now as a non EU citizen.

17 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

They were there before lockdown as I used them, not allowed to use them now as a non EU citizen.

👍

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, OBE said:

Maybe European citizens only. Since Brexit, I've been stamped in Porto, Tenerife and Malaga...

They were definitely being used by the Edinburgh arrivals which I thought was bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

They were definitely being used by the Edinburgh arrivals which I thought was bizarre. 

There will still be plenty Brits who hold EU passports until they next renew.

Jambo-Jimbo

Going to Madrid afterall now, it has to have been meant.  :laugh:

Miss JJ gets staff offers which change all the time, hasn't been any for Madrid at the time we were looking for.........until last night.

Got return flights from Edinburgh to Madrid for 2 in June, choose our seats, 1 bag in the hold, £101, that's not each, that's total cost, oh you fecking beauty, nailed that there and then.

Just looking at hotels now, somewhere central but within our budget.

• 4 weeks later...

Hotel booking, £230 extra for 14 nights if you want the security of free cancellation, no free is it? Currently a lot of shaftin going on.

6 hours ago, OBE said:

Hotel booking, £230 extra for 14 nights if you want the security of free cancellation, no free is it? Currently a lot of shaftin going on.

Just pay the extra £230 then cancel - you show them who’s boss! 😎👍

15 hours ago, OBE said:

That isn’t really new and think you are looking at it the wrong way round. Pay up front with no cancellation is generally a discounted price, cancellation is included on their standard rate. 

A week to go till my 3 times cancelled Jet2 holiday to Turkey. Well as long as nothing happens before then like a nuclear war or something.

26 minutes ago, graygo said:

A week to go till my 3 times cancelled Jet2 holiday to Turkey. Well as long as nothing happens before then like a nuclear war or something.

A friend of mine booked Turkey 16 month ago, got a call yesterday informing him the hotel is closed due to refurbishment, he was due to fly this Friday, they should be jailed for that kinda shit.

4 time lucky for you...🍀

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

That isn’t really new and think you are looking at it the wrong way round. Pay up front with no cancellation is generally a discounted price, cancellation is included on their standard rate. 

👍

I see the US are still insisting on a pre flight covid test. You still need a fit for flight certificate taken the day before. Total arseache. Only them and the kiwis as far as I can see. Australia, Canada, Singapore, etc., all fine. 

20 minutes ago, westbow said:

I see the US are still insisting on a pre flight covid test. You still need a fit for flight certificate taken the day before. Total arseache. Only them and the kiwis as far as I can see. Australia, Canada, Singapore, etc., all fine. 

Didn’t know that. I’m going over in September so hopefully that’s dropped before then 

£95 for a pcr in Edinburgh airport - antigen airport drive through and home tests available cheaper. Not sure I trust them to deliver on time though.