Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Stewie Griffin

Flew into Edinburgh earlier today around 14:30 with Ryanair and have to admit after what I’d seen and read I was expecting it to be a bit of a shambles however I was really surprised by how quick we were off the plane through security and had our luggage, seemed to only take 15 to 20 mins at most. Not sure if it’s the airport finally upping their game or if we just got really lucky.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Departures at Heathrow T3 two weeks ago was very well organised but security was a two hour unbelievably long zig-zag queue on two floors. It moved at a constant zombie like pace but at least it moved. Must have been murder for older people or those with younger kids. 
Departures in Florida took 15 minutes to get through security, quicker than usual. 
Arrivals at Heathrow was a breeze, luggage arrived before most people had got to carrousel.

highlandjambo3
13 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Flew into Edinburgh earlier today around 14:30 with Ryanair and have to admit after what I’d seen and read I was expecting it to be a bit of a shambles however I was really surprised by how quick we were off the plane through security and had our luggage, seemed to only take 15 to 20 mins at most. Not sure if it’s the airport finally upping their game or if we just got really lucky.

I think we’ve all seen the shambles recently on the news, mainly due to a shortage of baggage handlers/ground staff they let go (zero hours contracts/redundancies who’ve found better jobs etc) but, I’m sure behind the scenes they are desperate to get this sorted.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Shanks said no

Does anyone know how Easyjet are responding if the customer has to change flights and destination? We booked flights to the Canaries and its likely we won't be able to go. I'm guessing we will need to take a hit but as next summers flights aren't on sale yet I haven't tried yet.

Doctor FinnBarr

Anyone been through Prestwick airport recently? Just wondering how things are going there as we fly out to Tenerife at the end of Sept. Much better flight times for us than using Edinburgh and a saving of £300 for 4 of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the interests of fairness after my July slagging of Edinburgh airport what a difference when we flew in last night. Loads of staff at passport control and clearly with the baggage handlers as I would say we had our bags within 20 mins of landing.

On 13/08/2022 at 00:53, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Anyone been through Prestwick airport recently? Just wondering how things are going there as we fly out to Tenerife at the end of Sept. Much better flight times for us than using Edinburgh and a saving of £300 for 4 of us.

I drove past the airport terminal last Monday and it looked as quiet as ever. Monday is its busiest day for international passenger flights.  

26 minutes ago, henryheart said:

I drove past the airport terminal last Monday and it looked as quiet as ever. Monday is its busiest day for international passenger flights.  

Is it still just Ryanair that uses Prestwick?

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Is it still just Ryanair that uses Prestwick?

I believe it's still the only scheduled carrier, although the airport is still used for cargo flights as well as the military from the UK, USA and Canada

Anyone been to the states recently? Just wondering what covid stuff is needed - the airline and websites are not so clear 

22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I believe it's still the only scheduled carrier, although the airport is still used for cargo flights as well as the military from the UK, USA and Canada

With it being publicly owned (Scottish Government) I really can't understand why the SG haven't promoted it more and tried to encourage other airlines to use it.  

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

With it being publicly owned (Scottish Government) I really can't understand why the SG haven't promoted it more and tried to encourage other airlines to use it.  

Perhaps they have and there's been no takers, because of its location.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Perhaps they have and there's been no takers, because of its location.

Possibly.

I know for me, Prestwick wouldn't feature much anyway, for us it's Edinburgh then Newcastle then Glasgow.

3 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

Anyone been to the states recently? Just wondering what covid stuff is needed - the airline and websites are not so clear 

You need to be fully vaccinated. That's the only rule.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

You need to be fully vaccinated. That's the only rule.

need a paper copy of a cert or is the app ok?

30 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

App is fine.

Tremendous - avoided booking flights via Heathrow so hope all is trouble free

51 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

Tremendous - avoided booking flights via Heathrow so hope all is trouble free

I'm flying via Heathrow in 3 weeks time. 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

I'm flying via Heathrow in 3 weeks time. 

I think international flights will be ok, it’s Edinburgh to LHR I was weary of 

• 6 months later...
Jambo-Jimbo

Russell Quirk took Wizz Air to court over the consequential loses he incured when Wizz Air cancelled his flight to Portugal last year.

He had eventually received a full refund and the legal compensation he was due from Wizz Air, but had not received the £4500 he'd had to spend on alternative flights, hotel, parking etc etc etc. 

He ended up taking Wizz Air to court and won his case, but still Wizz Air ignored the court judgement, so he sent the baliffs round to Luton Airport with the authority to take the £4500 in goods, which included chairs, tables, computers even an aircraft if need be.

Wizz Air suddenly found his money and paid the debt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64999557

The last paragraph of the above article I find of particular note.

"Since December, Wizz has paid all CCJs [county court judgements] where it received the judgment, and is continuing to work to settle all other outstanding claims as quickly as possible."

Makes you wonder just how many more people have taken Wizz Air to court.

On 19/03/2023 at 10:13, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Russell Quirk took Wizz Air to court over the consequential loses he incured when Wizz Air cancelled his flight to Portugal last year.

He had eventually received a full refund and the legal compensation he was due from Wizz Air, but had not received the £4500 he'd had to spend on alternative flights, hotel, parking etc etc etc. 

He ended up taking Wizz Air to court and won his case, but still Wizz Air ignored the court judgement, so he sent the baliffs round to Luton Airport with the authority to take the £4500 in goods, which included chairs, tables, computers even an aircraft if need be.

Wizz Air suddenly found his money and paid the debt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64999557

The last paragraph of the above article I find of particular note.

"Since December, Wizz has paid all CCJs [county court judgements] where it received the judgment, and is continuing to work to settle all other outstanding claims as quickly as possible."

Makes you wonder just how many more people have taken Wizz Air to court.

Good for him.

I ended up getting £3800 back from BA for various delays, cancellations and lost bags (I had suitcases that went across the Atlantic at least three times before we eventually got them). **** knows how much the shambles last summer must have cost them.