Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Doctor FinnBarr
On 04/07/2022 at 09:51, OBE said:

Has anyone used the Premium Fast Track Parking at Newcastle airport?

No, we used the long stay a few weeks ago going to Tunisia,about 3 minutes away with the shuttle bus. Arrived at 2.30 for a 6.00 flight, Tui checkin opened at 3 and by 3.30 we were through security and waiting for the pub opening at 4.00 (handy for us smokers as they have an outside puffing area). Was impressed by how quickly we got through considering there was 14 flights taking off between 6.00 and 7.10.

Maybe early morning flights are the way to go.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

No, we used the long stay a few weeks ago going to Tunisia,about 3 minutes away with the shuttle bus. Arrived at 2.30 for a 6.00 flight, Tui checkin opened at 3 and by 3.30 we were through security and waiting for the pub opening at 4.00 (handy for us smokers as they have an outside puffing area). Was impressed by how quickly we got through considering there was 14 flights taking off between 6.00 and 7.10.

Maybe early morning flights are the way to go.

Thanks for that, our flight is 06:00 also. I'm assuming there was no drama at bag drop & security?

Booked the posh motor into the Premium Fast Track Parking, swithering if I should amend this and take the wife's wee run-around, it'll be parked up for a fortnight. If it picks up anymore dents, bumps & scratches it'll blend in with the rest...😄

On 04/07/2022 at 11:51, OBE said:

Has anyone used the Premium Fast Track Parking at Newcastle airport?

I'm on holiday now and flew from Newcastle. I didn't use the above but the Airport, although busy was very well run and we had no issues with our check in / security etc. We are with Jet2 though and they are absolutely on the ball this year.

Used the long stay car park and it's a simple stroll to the terminal.

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'm on holiday now and flew from Newcastle. I didn't use the above but the Airport, although busy was very well run and we had no issues with our check in / security etc. We are with Jet2 though and they are absolutely on the ball this year.

Thank you, these comments are reassuring...👍

Doctor FinnBarr
25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Thanks for that, our flight is 06:00 also. I'm assuming there was no drama at bag drop & security?

Booked the posh motor into the Premium Fast Track Parking, swithering if I should amend this and take the wife's wee run-around, it'll be parked up for a fortnight. If it picks up anymore dents, bumps & scratches it'll blend in with the rest...😄

Nothing at all mate

45 minutes ago, Homme said:

That's the puzzling thing for me. How can a budget airline like Jet2 perform really well against a huge world airline like BA ?

🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

That's the puzzling thing for me. How can a budget airline like Jet2 perform really well against a huge world airline like BA ?

🤷‍♂️

No idea tbh but I honestly can't praise them highly enough so far. When you get to the airport you will see a squad of staff in red Jet2 polos on hand to help etc - it was the same when we arrived in Dalaman in the middle of the night too.

(Very much aware I have still to travel home on Monday though!)

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

No idea tbh but I honestly can't praise them highly enough so far. When you get to the airport you will see a squad of staff in red Jet2 polos on hand to help etc - it was the same when we arrived in Dalaman in the middle of the night too.

I've heard similar. Absolutely spot on with their service. 

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

🤷‍♂️

Because BA are shit and are treating their staff even lower than shit.

I don't think Jet2 got rid of many staff during the pandemic, therefore are in a much better place than BA, Easyjet etc etc.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, Homme said:

Yip, we've flew with Jet2 several times and there are always plenty of staff there to help if needed, can't fault them.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Are folk still booking holidays with the chance the plane wont even take off , or be there, shambles.

I think many people, certainly the TUI flights which tend to be package holidays, booked months ago, maybe even booked last year.

We've just booked a hotel in Lisbon for next June, the flights aren't even out for our dates yet, but the hotel we wanted was available so we just booked it to make sure we've got it, I'll book the flights when they come out in a few months time.  So that's an example that we will book easyjet flights about 8 months before we travel, we are not alone in doing this.  Hopefully there won't be any problems next year.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, we've flew with Jet2 several times and there are always plenty of staff there to help if needed, can't fault them.

Jet 2 are undoubtedly the best travel company in UK at the moment. Perhaps it's because they realise that treating staff and customers like humans will ensure staff stay and customers come back, year after year.

BA could learn a lot from them but they choose not to.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think many people, certainly the TUI flights which tend to be package holidays, booked months ago, maybe even booked last year.

We've just booked a hotel in Lisbon for next June, the flights aren't even out for our dates yet, but the hotel we wanted was available so we just booked it to make sure we've got it, I'll book the flights when they come out in a few months time.  So that's an example that we will book easyjet flights about 8 months before we travel, we are not alone in doing this.  Hopefully there won't be any problems next year.

Heres hoping JJ, enjoy your holidays when they come.

BA are a mess at the moment.

Our Boston - London - Edinburgh flight last week....

17 hour delay from Boston...poor communcation to passengers what was happening.

They rebooked us on connecting flight to Edinburgh which was taking off when we were landing in london.

Only guaranteed seats they could offer us to EDI was 36 hours later.

Ended up getting our bags in London (2 hour wait), getting a cab to Kings Cross and getting a train to EDI.

Found out the 'guaranteed flight' next day was also cancelled....so no idea when we would have got a flight back up.  Have checked and they're cancelling 50% of all EDI/LHR flights at the moment.

Cabin crew on the Boston/London flight were saying the comms to them was a shambles.

Not surprised to see them cutting more flights....just can't handle things and not the BA I used to fly with.

Nucky Thompson

Arrived at Newcastle airport at 6.15am last Monday for my 8.30am flight.

Walked straight up to Jet2 bag drop and through security within minutes.

I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Had a pint in my hand by 6.30am :biggrin2:

Arrived  back on the ground yesterday at 3.20pm and was back in my car for 4.05pm

What a difference from the Edinburgh airport chaos in May

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Arrived at Newcastle airport at 6.15am last Monday for my 8.30am flight.

Walked straight up to Jet2 bag drop and through security within minutes.

I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Had a pint in my hand by 6.30am :biggrin2:

Arrived  back on the ground yesterday at 3.20pm and was back in my car for 4.05pm

What a difference from the Edinburgh airport chaos in May

Might have something to do with Edinburgh being the 6th busiest airport in the UK and Newcastle being the 10 busiest...

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Might have something to do with Edinburgh being the 6th busiest airport in the UK and Newcastle being the 10 busiest...

All the more reason that Edinburgh airport should have put their staff on furlough instead of sacking them.

It's the busiest airports that are struggling the most just now

Jambo-Jimbo
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

All the more reason that Edinburgh airport should have put their staff on furlough instead of sacking them.

That's a question that needs to be asked and not just about Edinburgh airport but other airports and the airlines.

Why did they sack so many people when the money was available to furlough them instead, indeed wasn't that the whole purpose of the furlough scheme.

Edinburgh Airport as ever not letting me down on arrival. On arrival at our destination we were through passport control, luggage collected and in the taxi on route to the hotel within 30 mins of wheels touching the runway. 

Edinburgh arrival, passport scanner wouldn’t work so had to join the queue for the manual check being served by the 1 open desk. Moderate wait gave me some hope that our bags wouldn’t be far behind us. Another full hour wait before the first bag started to come through. 🙄

I hate arriving at Edinburgh. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Sky News carried out research into the airlines & airports.

Gatwick came out as the worst for cancellations with Glasgow in second place & Edinburgh being in 6th place, which came as a surprise to me as it's Edinburgh we only seem to hear about in the media, not much mention of Glasgow, yet they are way way worse than Edinburgh according to this Sky News report.

BA was the worst British airline followed by Easyjet for the number of cancellations.

And the UK was equal with Germany as the worst European country for the total number of cancellations.

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-the-airports-airlines-and-countries-with-the-most-cancellations-this-year-12650091

joondalupjambo
On 12/07/2022 at 16:40, Nucky Thompson said:

Was there not an issue that a large number of Edinburgh airport staff were on zero hour contracts and therefore not suitable for qualifying for the furlough scheme?  So perhaps not sacked as such, would that be something that was in the mix?  Whatever the employer using zero hour contracts in a situation where staff are key is now a case of what goes round comes round.

Edited by joondalupjambo

conn artist
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Edinburgh Airport as ever not letting me down on arrival. On arrival at our destination we were through passport control, luggage collected and in the taxi on route to the hotel within 30 mins of wheels touching the runway. 

Edinburgh arrival, passport scanner wouldn’t work so had to join the queue for the manual check being served by the 1 open desk. Moderate wait gave me some hope that our bags wouldn’t be far behind us. Another full hour wait before the first bag started to come through. 🙄

I hate arriving at Edinburgh. 

We had heard issues like yours but we landed from Venice at lunch time. Sailed through passport control (5 desks open as well as self scan), got our bags no problem at all. Seems very hit or miss.

Venice passport control 10 days ago on arrival was a shambles.

Edited by conn artist

1 minute ago, conn artist said:

We had heard issues like yours but we landed from Venice at lunch time. Sailed through passport control (5 desks open as well as self scan), got our bags no problem at all. Seems very hit or miss.

Doesn’t seem to matter where we arrive from, unless it’s a domestic arrival it’s an issue waiting for bags. 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, conn artist said:

Venice passport control 10 days ago on arrival was a shambles.

Departures were a shambles back in 2017, by far the worst we've ever experienced, queues were all the way back into the duty free shop, doesn't sound that much has improved since we were there.

conn artist
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Departures were a shambles back in 2017, by far the worst we've ever experienced, queues were all the way back into the duty free shop, doesn't sound that much has improved since we were there.

Leaving wasn't so nice a few weeks ago admittedly. Terminal rammed, security chaotic but ticked along.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Anybody recognize any of these bags? 

Seemingly bags are people's missing luggage being stored at a warehouse near Edinburgh Airport, except they're not missing, as they are sitting right there. Edinburgh Airport has suspended it's helpline due to staff abuse.

image.jpeg.b62ee06125da23412f145e51390d7a19.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62190489

I retrieved one from there today - that went missing on journey back here last weekend (delayed due to cancelled flights…twice). This warehouse is for Swissport who handle luggage for some airlines.

Decided to go into the airport to try to track down someone from Menzies Aviation who handle luggage from others airlines, which covered out outbound journey. When eventually managed to speak to someone helpful, was told they have a warehouse elsewhere which houses hundreds of bags - public cannot access. My bag was lost 23 days ago - apparently sent back to Edinburgh a week past Friday. Now just have to continue to wait for it to be delivered.

With delays/cancellations and missing luggage both ways, looking forward to a decent compensation/insurance payout.

An utter shambles. 

Edited by Peebo

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

I retrieved one from there today - that went missing on journey back here last weekend (delayed due to cancelled flights…twice). This warehouse is for Swissport who handle luggage for some airlines.

Decided to go into the airport to try to track down someone from Menzies Aviation who handle luggage from others airlines, which covered out outbound journey. When eventually managed to speak to someone helpful, was told they have a warehouse elsewhere which houses hundreds of bags - public cannot access. My bag was lost 23 days ago - apparently sent back to Edinburgh a week past Friday. Now just have to continue to wait for it to be delivered.

With delays/cancellations and missing luggage both ways, looking forward to a decent compensation/insurance payout.

An utter shambles. 

How long do you have to wait on your luggage before you just say, stuff this and claim money from your insurance to replace lose of clothes ect 

9 minutes ago, theshed said:

How long do you have to wait on your luggage before you just say, stuff this and claim money from your insurance to replace lose of clothes ect 

Something I asked my insurance company today! In normal times, BA consider a case “lost” after 21 days - that timing is all out the window now.

Coverage for baggage delays kicks in after a few hours and all depends on your insurance as to what you could potentially claim back - could be a few hundred quid, maybe more. If case is truly lost, limit goes up a lot (again, depends on insurance).

Edited by Peebo

20 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Something I asked my insurance company today! In normal times, BA consider a case “lost” after 21 days - that timing is all out the window now.

Coverage for baggage delays kicks in after a few hours and all depends on your insurance as to what you could potentially claim back - could be a few hundred quid, maybe more. If case is truly lost, limit goes up a lot (again, depends on insurance).

Im away to America but not till sept and flying with BA so reading all this doesn’t give me confidence my bag will arrive back in Edinburgh as I come back via London. 

Will make sure my baggage is covered for 2k or something like that 

1 hour ago, theshed said:

Im away to America but not till sept and flying with BA so reading all this doesn’t give me confidence my bag will arrive back in Edinburgh as I come back via London. 

Good luck…would like to think BA will have their shit together by then. Can’t be much worse that they are at moment. 

Stewie Griffin
2 hours ago, theshed said:

I used to travel a lot for work using various airlines twice I had my luggage not turn up at the other end both times it was with BA. still gives me anxiety to this day even going on a family holiday that my suitcase won’t be on the baggage reclaim belt 

Jambo-Jimbo
15 hours ago, Peebo said:

An utter shambles. 

This is just one handler (Swissport) at one airport, I wouldn't be shocked in the least to learn that this situation is being repeated at other airports up and down the country.  This must be costing them all a small fortune.

At least you know where your bag is now.

Harry Potter
23 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Anybody recognize any of these bags? 

Seemingly bags are people's missing luggage being stored at a warehouse near Edinburgh Airport, except they're not missing, as they are sitting right there. Edinburgh Airport has suspended it's helpline due to staff abuse.

image.jpeg.b62ee06125da23412f145e51390d7a19.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62190489

What a farcical carry on, companies taking folks money but not supplying a service. Disgrace.

highlandjambo3
On 14/07/2022 at 16:19, Dazo said:

Doesn’t seem to matter where we arrive from, unless it’s a domestic arrival it’s an issue waiting for bags. 

I don’t care how painful it is………..the mrs and I have been travelling for about 10 years now with just cabin sized bags…..works fine for me…..I tend to buy those wick away type of tops and trousers so rinsing and drying them is a breeze.

Nucky Thompson

If anyone is heading to Spain soon, they are not checking vaccine passports, they are barely looking at regular passports.

I got a paper copy of my vaccine passport sent, but I forgot to take it with me.

I was shitting myself incase my app didn't work because my phone couldn't get a signal, but they never checked a single person

11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If anyone is heading to Spain soon, they are not checking vaccine passports, they are barely looking at regular passports.

I got a paper copy of my vaccine passport sent, but I forgot to take it with me.

I was shitting myself incase my app didn't work because my phone couldn't get a signal, but they never checked a single person

Take a screen-shot if there's a next time, can then access with or without signal or save to files and highlight off-line access ability...:thumb:

Edited by OBE

14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Edinburgh Airport & Swissport getting slaughtered........again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62227219

I'm getting sorely tempted not to bother using the 20kg hold luggage I've paid for and just travel as light as possible using the cabin luggage. It'll be a stretch for 6 days but at least there's a washing machine in the apartment.

Can't be arsed with that carry on waiting hours for my stuff, assuming they don't completely lose it.

Edited by Ray Gin

On 17/07/2022 at 17:23, highlandjambo3 said:

I don’t care how painful it is………..the mrs and I have been travelling for about 10 years now with just cabin sized bags…..works fine for me…..I tend to buy those wick away type of tops and trousers so rinsing and drying them is a breeze.

I wish we could travel like that but we wouldn’t fit her shoes in a carry on bag never mind all the other ‘essential’ shit she needs to pack. It’s definitely the way to go though if you can manage it. unfortunately even a weekend away we book a checkin bag also. 🙄

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm getting sorely tempted not to bother using the 20kg hold luggage I've paid for and just travel as light as possible using the cabin luggage. It'll be a stretch for 6 days but at least there's a washing machine in the apartment.

Can't be arsed with that carry on waiting hours for my stuff, assuming they don't completely lose it.

To be fair you’ve had your holiday by then so I’d probably leave my bags if it involved hours of waiting. Pack anything of real value in a carry on. You surely don’t want to be doing washing on holiday ? 

33 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

3 pair O pants, 1 on, 1 drying and 1 still in the drawer smelling like scented violets...😄

Nookie Bear
15 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Edinburgh Airport & Swissport getting slaughtered........again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62227219

Was fine when we came back from Spain last week. Waited around 30 mins for luggage but otherwise sailed through everything.

We got the bus (400) home as it stops near us so no idea what the taxi queue was like.

Jambo-Jimbo
57 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

On our recent trip to Madrid, we had a hold bag included in the deal we got, and Mrs JJ was looking forward to all the 'essential' items she could take, you know those 'essential' items, that don't get worn or used.

She eventually seen sense and we ended up with just a cabin bag and didn't bother about a hold bag, mind we were only away for 3 days, so we didn't need a hold bag to begin with.

Jambo-Jimbo

I heard Simon Calder mention something about new rules coming into force for travelling to the EU, including something about fingerprints.

Anyway there is indeed new rules coming into force, later this year seemingly.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/entry-exit-system-ees/

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Entry-Exit-System-EES.jpg

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Lufthansa ground crew are on strike today, leading to the cancellation of around about 1000 flights with almost no Lufthansa flights leaving Frankfurt & Munich airports.  Just more travel woes around Europe.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/lufthansa-ground-staff-start-walkout-germany-pay-dispute-2022-07-27/

****ing Tories*

*can be substituted with brexit. 

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

****ing Tories*

*can be substituted with brexit. 

Brexit, covid or the tories, has to be one of them to blame. :laugh: