Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

57 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

we ordered before we went just so we had the details for the forms for coming home.

Cheers, I did wonder if you needed the details before you left. Saying that I know someone who went away recently and they all used the same details from a previous traveller. Doesn’t sound like they check anything. 🙄

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Never even got the results back from mines.

I genuinely think no one gives a shit and it’s all an act to make it look like they are doing something. The government’s are scared to admit publicly we are just getting on with it. Because of a vocal minority they have to be seen to be doing something. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I genuinely think no one gives a shit and it’s all an act to make it look like they are doing something. The government’s are scared to admit publicly we are just getting on with it. Because of a vocal minority they have to be seen to be doing something. 

When the SG tested public opinion by suggesting that it was not going to follow the rules set by the UK Govt from 4 October I wrote confirming my distain to the First Minister's Postbag because, after all, she states that she wants to know how her policies affect the public. A couple of days later, I got an automated response thanking me for contacting the International Passenger Coordination, Managed Isolation Enquiries mailbox, which I hadn't. The opening gambit was  'The Scottish Government considers that at this stage of the pandemic, international travel still carries a risk of bringing new cases and variants of COVID-19 into Scotland and urges caution before undertaking non-essential travel.'

I'll be exercising caution before taking my non-essential holiday in The Canaries where the 7 day rate per 100,000 population is 24.86, rather than staying in Scotland where the rate is 331.8. 

Worthing Jambo
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Anyone got any recommendation for cheap day 2 tests. 

Used Nationwide Pathology in August and results came back in a day or two.

Just had to post via Royal Mail too.

Recommended them to others and no problems either.

That's me checked in for Faro flights next weekend, hope I've done it right.

Added Covid vaccination status documents to boarding cards and will upload passenger locator forms later as these can only be done within 4 days of travel. 

As it stands just now our unvaccinated 14 year old will need either a lateral flow done within 2 days or a PCR within 3 days of departure. Unvaccinated 10 year old needs nothing before departure.

We all need a PCR test within 2 days of return to Scotland and must be booked before travel. Looks unlikely that this will drop to just a lateral flow test in time as they reckon it will change for the English mid term holidays which is a week after Scotland.

Have I missed anything?

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You and your missus will need to do test to get in Portugal. Not aware of uk vaccination certificate being EU compatible as yet which means a test. 

im flying this week to faro and we all require testing 2 adults a 14 and 12 year old. 

I never needed to do a test for Greece but I do know that Portugalw as asking for one back in August. May have changed now though.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Portugal (mainland) require eu covid  vaccine certificate or test. As I say UK is not, yet, compatible with EU scheme as far as I know. 

Unless something has changed since about 10am this morning. 

It is up to each individual country whether they accept UK vaccine certificates for entry to their country. For example NL accepts UK certificate for entry to the country but not so far for use in hospitality venues.

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Portugal (mainland) require eu covid  vaccine certificate or test. As I say UK is not, yet, compatible with EU scheme as far as I know. 

Unless something has changed since about 10am this morning. 

As far as I can see a vaccine certificate is valid for travel from UK to mainland Portugal.

From visitportugal.com:

• RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
    Rapid Antigen Test - 48h before boarding, or
    a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, or
    a valid Vaccination or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions.
  • Children under 12 do not need to present test.
  • All passengers need to fill a Passenger Locator Card (individually) before departure to Portugal 

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

According to uk advice site and my airline jet 2 a test is required. 

Im not aware of their UK covid certificate by part EU covid certificate compliant or part of reciprocal agreement. 

I accept my understanding/reading might be wrong 

DEA53137-A752-498C-9539-558BF2FCDDA8.thumb.png.c2aaa0693112cf7de126e531160fff23.png

Lord BJ appears to be right. It is different for each country though. Not an EU wide thing. As I was able to use my UK vaccine letter to get into Greece.

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Lord BJ appears to be right. It is different for each country though. Not an EU wide thing. As I was able to use my UK vaccine letter to get into Greece.

I've experienced the same. Vaccination was enough for Spain a month ago, but I need a test for the Netherlands later this week. The Netherlands also requires daily tests for access to hospitality and venues (free at affiliated clinics).

50 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

According to uk advice site and my airline jet 2 a test is required. 

Im not aware of their UK covid certificate by part EU covid certificate compliant or part of reciprocal agreement. 

I accept my understanding/reading might be wrong 

No you are correct. I had a look at the British embassy in Portugal on twitter.

Portugal doesn't accept the NHS vaccine certificate yet (but they do accept some other 3rd countries certificates)

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

You and your missus will need to do test to get in Portugal. Not aware of uk vaccination certificate being EU compatible as yet which means a test. 

im flying this week to faro and we all require testing 2 adults a 14 and 12 year old. 

You're right enough 😟 hoping a reciprocal agreement can be put in place soon. 

Best I can find is £29 for the rapid antigen pre departure tests and £43 for the 2nd day PCR tests.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

You're right enough 😟 hoping a reciprocal agreement can be put in place soon. 

Best I can find is £29 for the rapid antigen pre departure tests and £43 for the 2nd day PCR tests.

Qured does antigen tests for £25, although you may be able to get a discount of 10% on that depending on who you are flying with. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Qured does antigen tests for £25, although you may be able to get a discount of 10% on that depending on who you are flying with. 

Nice one, every penny helps. 👍

Assisted Ryanair financially back in July 2020 by accepting flight vouchers, several hundred pounds worth. Another flight switch from July 2021 to this month. Seething that the flights are currently £19.99...:o. Win-some-lose-some... 

CavySlaveJambo
On 04/10/2021 at 10:58, henryheart said:

When the SG tested public opinion by suggesting that it was not going to follow the rules set by the UK Govt from 4 October I wrote confirming my distain to the First Minister's Postbag because, after all, she states that she wants to know how her policies affect the public. A couple of days later, I got an automated response thanking me for contacting the International Passenger Coordination, Managed Isolation Enquiries mailbox, which I hadn't. The opening gambit was  'The Scottish Government considers that at this stage of the pandemic, international travel still carries a risk of bringing new cases and variants of COVID-19 into Scotland and urges caution before undertaking non-essential travel.'

I'll be exercising caution before taking my non-essential holiday in The Canaries where the 7 day rate per 100,000 population is 24.86, rather than staying in Scotland where the rate is 331.8. 

It is almost as if the Scottish Govt are ignoring the science now.  The virus is here to stay, but it is mutating to be more virulent, and at the same time the vaccines (many people will no longer have antibodies from them) are meaning it is a milder illness and the symptoms have changed to being more like a cold.   

The time for restricting international travel has got to be coming to an end, otherwise people will use the loophole and travel to/from England 

15 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

It is almost as if the Scottish Govt are ignoring the science now.  The virus is here to stay, but it is mutating to be more virulent, and at the same time the vaccines (many people will no longer have antibodies from them) are meaning it is a milder illness and the symptoms have changed to being more like a cold.   

The time for restricting international travel has got to be coming to an end, otherwise people will use the loophole and travel to/from England 

Are you from peebles?? 

Shanks said no

Flying from Manchester to the Canaries on 2nd Nov - even Simon Calder sounded unsure on Monday as to what the rules are.

Anyone got a clear steer?

7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Flying from Manchester to the Canaries on 2nd Nov - even Simon Calder sounded unsure on Monday as to what the rules are.

Not sure why he is unclear as it’s pretty clear on various websites what you have to do. Day 2 on return for vaccinated. 

6 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

???? I meant you going on about Scotland stopping restrictions or people will fly from England. Scotland has the same rules as England now. It was announced a couple of weeks ago

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

Not sure why he is unclear as it’s pretty clear on various websites what you have to do. Day 2 on return for vaccinated. 

It’s unclear as it’s changing from a pcr to a lateral flow but the definition of a lateral flow seems to be changing. Not just SC, other commentators and politicians have muddied things

for example

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58656292

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

???? I meant you going on about Scotland stopping restrictions or people will fly from England. Scotland has the same rules as England now. It was announced a couple of weeks ago

I have to avoid Covid stuff at times... guess I missed that one. 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Rules still haven’t changed regarding day 2 test. They plan to at the end of October but not confirmed as yet. 

You can delay booking your PCR test until you are ready to complete your UK locator form a day or two before your return.  At least that way you will have the best opportunity of matching the cheapest test to the legal requirement when you return.

The UK government was looking to bring in a Day 2 LFT for the English school holidays.  The Scottish government has committed to following the UK lead. If it is being delayed until November then it will miss the school holiday period.

I was hoping that the change would have come earlier as I have just booked a Day 2 PCR test this morning for my return from Amsterdam next week.  I waited until I had confirmation that my pre departure test for Amsterdam was negative. i.e. there was no point in booking it before it was confirmed I could travel there.

I notice that Randox is now offering Day 2 PCR tests for as little as £34.99 if you use "click and collect".  The only problem is that the nearest collection points are the best part of 200 miles away in Blackburn or Leeds. 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

You can delay booking your PCR test until you are ready to complete your UK locator form a day or two before your return.  At least that way you will have the best opportunity of matching the cheapest test to the legal requirement when you return.

The UK government was looking to bring in a Day 2 LFT for the English school holidays.  The Scottish government has committed to following the UK lead. If it is being delayed until November then it will miss the school holiday period.

I was hoping that the change would have come earlier as I have just booked a Day 2 PCR test this morning for my return from Amsterdam next week.  I waited until I had confirmation that my pre departure test for Amsterdam was negative. i.e. there was no point in booking it before it was confirmed I could travel there.

I notice that Randox is now offering Day 2 PCR tests for as little as £34.99 if you use "click and collect".  The only problem is that the nearest collection points are the best part of 200 miles away in Blackburn or Leeds. 

Yeah I was hanging on too but ended up purchasing this week as we go in a weeks or so time. Went with Randox as they have a drop off point fairly close. 

9 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

https://www.jet2.com/en/flights/safe-travel/travel-requirements/canary-islands

Above gives answer, essentially if vaccinated think your good for Spain. Currently you will need to have a pcr organised for day 2 return to uk.  You will need to fill out locator forms for both countries. Would check rules a couple of weeks before go as they are changing relatively quickly. 

A volcano also might cause some travel disruption. 

16 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Lord BJ is accurate. In addition the facemask requirements are also pretty much the same as in Scotland although in outside places where you cannot maintain 1.5m social distancing they are also required; you will find that the Spanish are very keen mask wearers. There are also capacity limitations on indoor facilities including restaurants, pubs and public transport which currently range from 50-75%, depending on the alert levels. You may also be required to provide identity if sitting indoors, much like the track and trace, but I'm not sure if this is still happening. Overall cases in The Canaries have been dropping very sharply, from 13,600 active cases in late August to currently less than 1,000, meaning that there is the possibility of restrictions being further lifted.

The La Palma volcanic eruption has so far been very localised in its impact, with flights to all other islands so far uninterrupted.

Hope this helps you Frenchman, and have a great holiday. 

Footballfirst

Latest from Grant Schapps

The government has also announced that from late October, eligible fully vaccinated passengers returning from countries not on the red list will be able to replace their day-two PCR test with a cheaper lateral flow test.

This will be followed by a free PCR if the result is positive, reducing the cost of tests on arrival into England.

Passengers will be able to send a picture of their lateral flow test as a minimum requirement to verify the test result, with the ambition remaining to have this in place for people returning from half-term breaks by the end of the month.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The government has also announced that from late October, eligible fully vaccinated passengers returning from countries not on the red list will be able to replace their day-two PCR test with a cheaper lateral flow test.

This will be followed by a free PCR if the result is positive, reducing the cost of tests on arrival into England.

Passengers will be able to send a picture of their lateral flow test as a minimum requirement to verify the test result, with the ambition remaining to have this in place for people returning from half-term breaks by the end of the month.

Cheers @Footballfirst and other for helpful hints. Might just have got lucky 13 after 12 cancellations.

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

That'll be the English half-term break not the Scottish. Shitebags!!

Nucky Thompson
53 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

That'll be the English half-term break not the Scottish. Shitebags!!

Scotland can make their own rules. Sturgeon could go before the UK for a change

18 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

She could but I think she said that she would fall into line with what they decided.

I've ordered our pre-departure lateral flow tests tonight but I'm going to hold off on the 2day return PCR tests, I think I can order them while on holiday to be delivered while we're away as long as I get the order reference number for the passenger locator form. Gives NS a bit longer to help out the Scottish travellers.

16 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Or possibly after or even not at all..........

I really don't mind having to take a PCR test, even though I will have more chance of catching Covid by staying at home than going to the Canaries.  

17 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

😂😂 If she does something before she gets criticised. Same if she does it after or at the same time. 

46 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Or possibly after or even not at all..........

I really don't mind having to take a PCR test, even though I will have more chance of catching Covid by staying at home than going to the Canaries.  

I don't mind taking a PCR test either but will be a bit miffed if I book the PCR tests and then they say that an LFT will do, especially when I'll be buying 4 of them.

2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I don't mind taking a PCR test either but will be a bit miffed if I book the PCR tests and then they say that an LFT will do, especially when I'll be buying 4 of them.

If you are buying 4 then the price difference will certainly add quite a bit to the holiday cost. I'm not sure how quickly the SG will act to bring us in line with England as when I wrote to The First Minister last month to query why Scotland was lagging behind in confirming changes I was told that the Scottish Government 'urges caution before undertaking non-essential travel'.

Nucky Thompson

That's 2 holidays booked for next year now. Lanzarote in February and I've just booked Ibiza for July 

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, OBE said:

Arsehole shout-out for the Rangers tribute act v HMFC in Tenerife...Whisky Jar...maybe?

Whiskey Jar is a good shout although Carriages and the Jags bar will also show it. Jags tends to be a bit hunnish though.

On 07/10/2021 at 13:56, Footballfirst said:

I've just booked our Day 2 PCR tests for £28 each from Expert Medicals, I don't care that they're not UK government approved. I've got the reference number to put on my passenger locator form, that'll do me.

Footballfirst

Long post alert.

I returned from my weekend trip to Amsterdam last night. I'd like to share my experience of travelling to and from there and the problems and  pitfalls we encountered, at least with the travel stuff.  It offers a cautionary tale that may help you be better prepared for your trips.

Going out: 

* The Netherlands requires a pre departure test which I took the day before travelling (Qured)

* There is no courtesy coach from the Long Stay car park at the moment. You have to walk.

* Because of the health checks required, KLM don't issue boarding passes online, so it meant joining a queue. Sadly there was only one person at the KLM/Air France desk doing the check-in for the bulk of passengers for multiple flights (health checks, boarding passes, checked in baggage). Over an hour and 15 mins spent in the queue. When it was our turn the girl checked our docs and asked the reason for out trip.  A reply of "Leisure" brought a response of "I'm sorry, UK tourists are not allowed into the Netherlands". I assured her that the rules had changed a few weeks ago. She brought up the guidelines on her screen and I pointed her to the list of exceptions which included fully vaccinated travellers. She then relented and allowed up to proceed but warned us that we may be turned back at the NL border. Basically she was not aware of the travel rules and I was worried I had read or interpreted them incorrectly.

* A mad dash through security managed to get us on the plane with a few minutes to spare.

* 10 minutes later the pilot informed us that due to us missing our slot, and fog in Amsterdam, we would remain stationery for a further 55 minutes.  When we eventually took off the flight was uneventful until landing in fog, as you could see nothing outside during out descent, until "bang" we hit the runway hard.  Our stress levels were bad enough not knowing if we would be allowed in the NL without a hard landing.

* Onto passport control at the NL border. A 30 minute wait in the non-EU queue, then up to the desk. I was again asked the purpose of out trip. I said "visiting friends", which barely registered and my passport was stamped.

* What a relief, we had arrived.

In Amsterdam

* The NL operates an corona pass system, on a phone app, based on the EU Digital Covid Certificate (the UK's vaccination Certificate is not compatible with the pass).  For travellers without the EU-DCC, you need to take a daily antigen test (free at multiple locations) which allows you access to hospitality and other venues for 24 hours. Getting tested was little more than an inconvenience as you got your results within minutes and you were able to upload a QR code into the NL app.

* I think I visited 7 different pubs during our stay. I was asked to show my pass for scanning in 2 of them. Similarly out of maybe 4 restaurants and another 4 cafes visited, 2 restaurants and 2 cafe's scanned the QR code.

* The city is slowly getting back to normal with masks only required on public transport. However bars are still required to close by midnight. 

Travelling home

* Checked in around 2.5 hours before the flight to be on the safe side after out experience at Edinburgh. Our Vaccine Status and UK Locator forms were checked at check-in.

* Onto security. Queuing time again. Over an hour of zig-zags before we got through as only half the scanners were in action.

* Passport Control, not too bad with just a 15 minute queue.

* Checked the departure board, saw that the flight was delayed by 15mins (not too bad).  Time for a pint.  The next check on the departure board asked us to go to a specific gate (although not the gate at which the flight was due to leave from). A check with KLM staff at the gate established that there was was a requirement to verify our Vaccine Status and UK Locator forms a second time and stamp our boarding passes.

* Problem! There was a huge queue that filled the gate and stretched beyond the next two gates. It turned out that there were passengers from up to 10 flights (mainly UK) all trying to get their papers checked at the same time.  It was an awful administrative procedure and queue management from KLM to create this second check of documents that had already been verified by KLM at check-in. It was asking for trouble. 

* Joined the queue, then at points there were calls for specific flight to jump the queue (although not Edinburgh). Eventually got the second check done and onto the departure gate (still 5 mins before the delayed departure time) only to be told that the flight was closed and that we couldn't get on board. We were advised to go to the Transfer Desk.

* Queue time again.  Another hour plus wait to see if we could be rebooked on a later flight.  Yes we could get on the flight but it would cost us €390. A debate, discussion and phone call later and the price was reduced to €190, which we paid under protest in order to get home. The agent on the desk suggested that we submit a compensation claim and helpfully advised that 10 people out of 90 on our flight didn't make the flight, so we weren't alone.

* On the flight back I spoke to another passenger who also missed our original flight. I asked him about the cost. He advised that he had been rebooked at no cost (by a different agent on the desk).  Cue steam coming out my ears.  Compensation claim already submitted.

* My stress levels still had a bit to rise though. On reaching the exit barrier and popping in my parking card, it asked for £120 (4 days parking) for what had been pre booked and pre paid for £14 a couple of months ago.  The supplied contact phone number proved to be invalid, so again I was left to pay the fee and claim it back afterwards. Thankfully, it appears the the airport will repay the charge following an email exchange.

The moral of the story is don't travel if you get stressed out by queues and delays.  They appear to be inevitable at the moment.  Give yourself lots of time at the airport to get through any checks that the airlines choose to make. Not being in the EU will also add time at the borders. 

Edit: Our time spent in Amsterdam was great. Our friends there were as delighted to see us, as we were to be there again.

Edited by Footballfirst

Nucky Thompson
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Long post alert.

I returned from my weekend trip to Amsterdam last night. I'd like to share my experience of travelling to and from there and the problems and  pitfalls we encountered, at least with the travel stuff.  It offers a cautionary tale that may help you be better prepared for your trips.

Going out: 

* The Netherlands requires a pre departure test which I took the day before travelling (Qured)

* There is no courtesy coach from the Long Stay car park at the moment. You have to walk.

* Because of the health checks required, KLM don't issue boarding passes online, so it meant joining a queue. Sadly there was only one person at the KLM/Air France desk doing the check-in for the bulk of passengers for multiple flights (health checks, boarding passes, checked in baggage). Over an hour and 15 mins spent in the queue. When it was our turn the girl checked our docs and asked the reason for out trip.  A reply of "Leisure" brought a response of "I'm sorry, UK tourists are not allowed into the Netherlands". I assured her that the rules had changed a few weeks ago. She brought up the guidelines on her screen and I pointed her to the list of exceptions which included fully vaccinated travellers. She then relented and allowed up to proceed but warned us that we may be turned back at the NL border. Basically she was not aware of the travel rules and I was worried I had read or interpreted them incorrectly.

* A mad dash through security managed to get us on the plane with a few minutes to spare.

* 10 minutes later the pilot informed us that due to us missing our slot, and fog in Amsterdam, we would remain stationery for a further 55 minutes.  When we eventually took off the flight was uneventful until landing in fog, as you could see nothing outside during out descent, until "bang" we hit the runway hard.  Our stress levels were bad enough not knowing if we would be allowed in the NL without a hard landing.

* Onto passport control at the NL border. A 30 minute wait in the non-EU queue, then up to the desk. I was again asked the purpose of out trip. I said "visiting friends", which barely registered and my passport was stamped.

In Amsterdam

* The NL operates an corona pass system, on a phone app, based on the EU Digital Covid Certificate (the UK's vaccination Certificate is not compatible with the pass).  For travellers without the EU-DCC, you need to take a daily antigen test (free at multiple locations) which allows you access to hospitality and other venues for 24 hours. Getting tested was little more than an inconvenience as you got your results within minutes and you were able to upload a QR code into the NL app.

* I think I visited 7 different pubs during our stay. I was asked to show my pass for scanning in 2 of them. Similarly out of maybe 4 restaurants and another 4 cafes visited, 2 restaurants and 2 cafe's scanned the QR code.

* The city is slowly getting back to normal with masks only required on public transport. However bars are still required to close by midnight. 

Travelling home

* Checked in around 2.5 hours before the flight to be on the safe side after out experience at Edinburgh. Our Vaccine Status and UK Locator forms were checked at check-in.

* Onto security. Queuing time again. Over an hour of zig-zags before we got through as only half the scanners were in action.

* Checked the departure board, saw that the flight was delayed by 15mins (not too bad).  Time for a pint.  The next check on the departure board asked us to go to a specific gate (although not the gate at which the flight was due to leave from). A check with KLM staff at the gate established that there was was a requirement to check our Vaccine Status and UK Locator forms a second time and stamp our boarding passes.

* Problem! There was a huge queue that filled the gate and stretched beyond the next two gates. It turned out that there were passengers from up to 10 flights (mainly UK) all trying to get their papers checked at the same time.  It was an awful administrative procedure and queue management from KLM to create this second check of documents that had already been checked by KLM at check-in. It was asking for trouble. 

* Joined the queue, then at points there were calls for specific flight to jump the queue (although not Edinburgh). Eventually got the second check done and onto the departure gate (still 5 mins before the delayed departure time) only to be told that the flight was closed and that we couldn't get on board. We were advised to go to the Transfer Desk.

* Queue time again.  Another hour plus wait to see if we could be rebooked on a later flight.  Yes we could get on the flight but it would cost us €390. A debate, discussion and phone call later and the price was reduced to €190, which we paid under protest in order to get home. The agent on the desk suggested that we submit a compensation claim and helpfully advised that 10 people out of 90 on our flight didn't make the flight, so we weren't alone.

* On the flight back I spoke to another passenger who also missed our original flight. I asked him about the cost. He advised that he had been rebooked at no cost (by a different agent on the desk).  Cue steam coming out my ears.  Compensation claim already submitted.

* My stress levels still had a bit to rise though. On reaching the exit barrier and popping in my parking card, it asked for £120 (4 days parking) for what had been pre booked and pre paid for £14 a couple of months ago.  The supplied contact phone number proved to be invalid, so again I was left to pay the fee and claim it back afterwards. Thankfully, it appears the the airport will repay the charge following an email exchange.

The moral of the story is don't travel if you get stressed out by queues and delays.  They appear to be inevitable at the moment.  Give yourself lots of time at the airport to get through any checks that the airlines choose to make. Not being in the EU will also add time at the borders. 

Edit: Our time spent in Amsterdam was great. Our friends there were as delighted to see us, as we were to be there again.

I'm getting stressed for you by reading your post.

I'm not looking forward to my trips if that's what's in store.  

Some of it sounds like a lot of bureaucratic nonsense 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Currently in the algarve. The passport control didn’t even look at our test certificates. In fact the women didn’t look at anything other than passport. 

The airline were very stringent on rules and checks. Someone came on with those lanyards saying she was exempt. The air steward stated they have not been previously notified so the only way she would be allowed on flight was by wearing a mask. She tried to argue, air steward just picked up phone and spoke to someone to come and escort her from the flight. At that point she put a mask on. 

The weather is good in Portugal but the mozzys are horrendous so make sure you have plenty repellent and treatment. I’m currently clawing like a ****ing junkie. 😡

It’s been great getting away and half considering extending current stay but pet issues look like will prevent this 

Will most defo be away over Chrimbo period.

I'd heard from others that nothing was checked, would be just my luck though. Anyway, sorted now. Looking forward to getting over there and just switching off.

48 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Long post alert.

Going out: 

In Amsterdam

Travelling home

* Checked the departure board, saw that the flight was delayed by 15mins (not too bad).  Time for a pint.  The next check on the departure board asked us to go to a specific gate (although not the gate at which the flight was due to leave from). A check with KLM staff at the gate established that there was was a requirement to verify our Vaccine Status and UK Locator forms a second time and stamp our boarding passes.

* Problem! There was a huge queue that filled the gate and stretched beyond the next two gates. It turned out that there were passengers from up to 10 flights (mainly UK) all trying to get their papers checked at the same time.  It was an awful administrative procedure and queue management from KLM to create this second check of documents that had already been verified by KLM at check-in. It was asking for trouble. 

Due to fly there In 3 weeks time with easyjet, so thanks for the report.

Flying back at 9.30 at night, so if we are delayed by airport queues and miss the flight it could be a shambles. 
Will have to think if it is going to be worth  it.

Did you only have to do a lateral flow test before flying to Amsterdam ?