Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

because as long as new variants keep appearing then no country is going to be happy to allow freedom of travel to foreigners. 

Yet another new variant has appeared, this time in Los Angeles, gonna be many more I fear, until we get on top of this.

The LA/California one is really worrying but new variants will appear. What we need is for the new variants to be less severe.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The LA/California one is really worrying but new variants will appear. What we need is for the new variants to be less severe.  

Absolutely, but that's not what is happening with these new variants, they are not getting weaker, not yet anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Barack said:

I might be wrong, but isn't Mr. O' Leary somewhat of a cynic when it comes to Covid-19?

If I was a cynic, I'd put it down to that he's just an incredibly insensitive, arrogant, prick, who's sole purpose in life is adding to his billion euro personal fortune, over everything else.

am a cynic.

:laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's Jet2 just cancelled our Turkey holiday booked for May 9th. ☹️ Not unexpected tbf.

That'll be in response to Boris saying yesterday that the government would not make a decision on foreign travel until at least 17 May.

Bookings for July onwards are soaring seemingly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56161129

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That'll be in response to Boris saying yesterday that the government would not make a decision on foreign travel until at least 17 May.

Bookings for July onwards are soaring seemingly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56161129

The email referenced Bumbling Boris's statement. Actually a bit glad as knew it was coming and the worst thing for us would have been getting a last minute go ahead.

Shanks said no

Mentioned it on the Coronavirus thread

Holiday number 7 cancelled. Was expecting it and had been checking daily.

Was due to fly Easyjet 27 April to Crete, as of yesterday they were scheduled to begin flying on 30th March. Changed overnight following BJ announcement and now begin flying 1st May.

Thought I might as well call at 9am this morning and remarkably got through and 15 minutes later had a mixture of a cash and voucher refund*

* transpires that under their t's and c's you can't claim cashback from a previous voucher, tried arguing but to no avail. 

Given that I had called last week trying to cancel and all they would offer me was a voucher to fly UK>Greece whereas now I have a partial voucher that can book flights in the next 12 months for 2022, can fly anywhere and split it across different flights/destinations, then I am reasonably satisfied.

Holiday 8 - flights from London to Greece on 17th June - rate my chances as less than 50%

Holiday 9 - flights from Edi to Greece September - 75% chance

Holiday 10 - to Antigua in November must go ahead, PLEASE

Want to start booking 2022 but Mrs F losing the plot with me.

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Is there much to do in Antigua, for those who don't just want to sit by the pool all day & order Daiquiri?

Never been before but it appears to be beaches, beaches and more beaches. Culturally Nelson's Dockyard seems to be the main historic site and there are a lot of sailing options available, particularly by English Harbor where were originally meant to stay until I switched to an AI

I can but dream of lying on a beach for 7 days being served Mohito's! 

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Fair enough, I'd not turn Mojito's down either. Never really been drawn to the Caribbean, I must admit.

Always seems on the verge of pissing it down.

Holidayed on quite a few islands and they all have different things to offer, for example Jamaica - party time and Marley, Margarita - Chavez and an island of contrast, Tobago - did rain at 3pm every day but has a rainforest, Cuba - just loved it, Dom Rep - probably the only one I wouldn't rave about.

If I could afford to I would tick off as many islands as I could.

6 hours ago, Barack said:

Is there much to do in Antigua, for those who don't just want to sit by the pool all day & order Daiquiri?

Had a day stop there on a cruise back in 2009 and I spent all day in an Irish pub by the port. The Ex Wife did tell me that it's a lovely island though.

7 hours ago, Barack said:

Fair enough, I'd not turn Mojito's down either. Never really been drawn to the Caribbean, I must admit.

Always seems on the verge of pissing it down.

Been to the Caribbean many times, generally October/November time, once in May/June, and rain has never been an issue. Sounds, like me, you aren't a fan of just lying on a sun bed for 2 weeks. Pick the right place and you can get out and about without any bother. Always plenty organised excursions too, although a lot do involve going on a boat to another beach where you don't have the luxury of all inclusive drinks or several restaurants to eat from!

• 1 month later...
Shanks said no
2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

That's ridiculous. They took your money first time around so should be refunding in cash. 

On a wider note, no wonder your Mrs is losing the plot :)  

Since writing my post on 23rd February holiday number 8 to Greece failed and I moved it to the same dates in 2022. Cost me a bit as I wasn’t willing to switch hotels. 

Holiday 9 is now in the balance, Greece mid September. Now going to extend it to 14 nights from 10, other than flights nothing else has been paid for yet. 

Going to book holiday 11 for spring 22, I am not giving up yet. 

Shanks said no

Interesting article in the Greek press

“We will gradually lift the restrictions at the beginning of next week ahead of the opening on May 14,” a senior tourism ministry official told Reuters on condition of anonymity.

The official said citizens from the European Union, the United States, Britain, Serbia, Israel and the United Arab Emirates will be allowed to travel to Greece via the airports of Athens, Thessaloniki, Iraklio, Hania, Rhodes, Kos, Mykonos, Santorini and Corfu, and two border crossings.

Passengers from those countries will not be quarantined, as long as they prove that they have received two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine or show a negative PCR test carried out 72 hours prior to their arrival, the official said, adding the tourists would be subject to domestic lockdown restrictions.

Under current rules, all foreigners arriving in Greece should test negative and quarantine for seven days. For passengers from Britain and the United Arab Emirates, a second mandatory test is also required upon their arrival.

So light at the end of the tunnel, certainly looks like 2 vaccines and a Covid passport will get you into Greece (funnily enough not to my recently cancelled Samos holiday airport (Holiday number eight) but that might be because they had a bloody earthquake as well)

Also new procedures being introduced for ferries and cruises.

Specially for @BarneyBattles, booked Holiday 11, number 12 already booked. Decided to go for Tel Aviv as it must be the safest place to go, definitely wouldn't have said that pre-covid.

😎

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

• 2 months later...
Shanks said no

OK given Boris saying Prescotts (2 jags) can now go to amber list countries and don’t have to self isolate on return, who is taking the risk? 

Shanks said no
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Nope. Still too much of a pain in the arse. Not missing a frappe that much.

i’ve given myself a deadline of end July to decide if I am trying for holiday 9, booked for mid September, so I’ll be watching closely to see what sort of a “holiday experience” is achieved.

almost gave up a couple of weeks ago but easyJet wanted double for the same flights 12 months later. 

Nucky Thompson

I would happily take a chance but the Mrs won't. 

We're booked up for Lanzarote for a fortnight in February, but I could do with a week in the Sun in maybe October

CostaJambo

Please nobody buy flights via gotogate - we have been waiting for about 3 grand back from Virgin from last summer. Long story but because I was really busy at work at the time I elected for the agent to follow up the refund for a £20 fee rather than do it myself. Got absolutely nowhere with gotogate so eventually had to do it myself and pestered Virgin into chasing it up for me and it turns out they authorised the refund last November. Finally got confirmation today that gotogate has "processed" the refund and we will get it soon. No doubt not before several more chaser emails.

hughesie27
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

OK given Boris saying Prescotts (2 jags) can now go to amber list countries and don’t have to self isolate on return, who is taking the risk? 

The risk of what?

Once you are double jagged there's not much else you can do to prevent yourself from getting it. The virus is here to stay so chances are if you don't get it this year you will at some point.

Unless of course your risk includes a worry of you passing it onto others.

Shanks said no
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The risk of what?

Once you are double jagged there's not much else you can do to prevent yourself from getting it. The virus is here to stay so chances are if you don't get it this year you will at some point.

Unless of course your risk includes a worry of you passing it onto others.

For me the main risk is that the rules change while I am abroad. 

Maybe risk was the wrong word though, more curious what the experience would be. We have 2 flights, 4 ferries and 3 hotels involved in our next holiday and I am unsure if I can put up with the hassle. Sort of wish I had booked a standard package and let someone else organise me.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Barack said:

Nope. Still too much of a pain in the arse. Not missing a frappe that much.

Found a crackin yin in Corfu a few years back, large brandy in it. To keep it easy at hame I just pour large brandy, ice, and top up wi milk.

11 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Nae option really! Flight vouchers expire at the end of October, unless one of our two Governments continue to declare Tenerife out-of-bounds. Fortunately, come October, all our group will be double jagged. Fingers crossed our intended hosts see a significant decline in Cv-19/Kent/Indian/Delta/Jock cases and benefit greatly from their own successful vaccination programme.

Edited by OBE

What's everyone's thoughts on October in Canaries?

I have now almost decided that I'm going to book, if it cancels then so be it, I'll get my money back. Only niggle is they don't cancel, but it remains on some list where I need to isolate when I come home, I may have to cancel, so I'd lose my money.

Surely things will be a bit clearer in October, is it worth the gamble, or wait till 22?

Shanks said no

@ericb the current mood music appears to be that double jabbed can travel. You might want to wait for Shapps announcement later this week. 

6 hours ago, OBE said:

Nae option really! Flight vouchers expire at the end of October, unless one of our two Governments continue to declare Tenerife out-of-bounds. Fortunately, come October, all our group will be double jagged. Fingers crossed our intended hosts see a significant decline in Cv-19/Kent/Indian/Delta/Jock cases and benefit greatly from their own successful vaccination programme.

Tenerife isn't "out of bounds", my cousin is off there on Saturday for a month. UK government doing away with self isolation on return if double dosed next month, not sure if SG can do differently.

12 minutes ago, ericb said:

What's everyone's thoughts on October in Canaries?

I have now almost decided that I'm going to book, if it cancels then so be it, I'll get my money back. Only niggle is they don't cancel, but it remains on some list where I need to isolate when I come home, I may have to cancel, so I'd lose my money.

Surely things will be a bit clearer in October, is it worth the gamble, or wait till 22?

Only an issue if it goes onto the "red list" as rules are changing regards to amber as stated above.

2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Only an issue if it goes onto the "red list" as rules are changing regards to amber as stated above.

But if it goes red, surely Jet2 will cancel before I go?

1 minute ago, ericb said:

But if it goes red, surely Jet2 will cancel before I go?

Right enough. It's possible it could go red while you're there but that would just involve a scramble to get back before Jet2 stopped flights.

• 3 weeks later...
CavySlaveJambo

This appeared in my inbox earlier today. 
Could be good news for everywhere starting to open up and a move from a Pandemic to an endemic virus.  

0CF7D581-9D66-4458-8B63-69BA65012179.jpeg

J.T.F.Robertson
19 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

This appeared in my inbox earlier today. 
Could be good news for everywhere starting to open up and a move from a Pandemic to an endemic virus.  

0CF7D581-9D66-4458-8B63-69BA65012179.jpeg

Could use a bit of reciprocation. :(

• 4 weeks later...
Shanks said no

Cancelled holiday 9 at weekend.

Partly covid hassle but mainly as Mrs F offered a new job. Switched the easyJet flights, had to pay top up, but gives me holiday 13 to look forward to. Holiday 10,11 and 12 do appear to be possible if I am willing to pay for tests. 

Found that by using booking. Com it made cancellation really easy for accommodation and free, no deposit, so no hassle. 

Only a couple hundred out of pocket for Greek ferries, original booking last summer and need to wait 18 months to claim 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cancelled holiday 9 at weekend.

Partly covid hassle but mainly as Mrs F offered a new job. Switched the easyJet flights, had to pay top up, but gives me holiday 13 to look forward to. Holiday 10,11 and 12 do appear to be possible if I am willing to pay for tests. 

Found that by using booking. Com it made cancellation really easy for accommodation and free, no deposit, so no hassle. 

Only a couple hundred out of pocket for Greek ferries, original booking last summer and need to wait 18 months to claim 

Just wait a couple of year to book a holiday. 

Too much hassle just now.

Shanks said no
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just wait a couple of year to book a holiday. 

Too much hassle just now.

Got to admit I am almost giving up, if I could just get cash back I probably would. The one we just shifted had cost us £334 for flights to Athens, some stories that the test on return to Scotland would cost us £340 (2x£170). Wouldn’t be willing to pay that. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Got to admit I am almost giving up, if I could just get cash back I probably would. The one we just shifted had cost us £334 for flights to Athens, some stories that the test on return to Scotland would cost us £340 (2x£170). Wouldn’t be willing to pay that. 

I admire your perseverance under difficult circumstances. 

18 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Test on returning to Scotland is £68, needs done by day 2 of your return. 

https://quarantinehotel.ctmportal.co.uk/quarantine/?country=Scotland&vacc=Y

You would also need to take an antigen test in Greece in the 3 days before your flight, these cost €20.

https://payments.iatriko.gr/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASrrVcObrrFtjNorZKhvZbUipAhCVYYcjH3ZDqhTcmXGfj_5tQm1IGUaAn0xEALw_wcB

45 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I've just been to Croatia and used Randox for Tests. Far cheaper than the scam that that Scottish government are trying to peddle through that company. 

You get bundle deals through Randox as well.

35 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

I've just been to Croatia and used Randox for Tests. Far cheaper than the scam that that Scottish government are trying to peddle through that company. 

It’s the test you have to take before you come back that’s the worry. 

If you test positive then that’s you screwed as have to isolate in hotel at your own cost. For me it’s no worth the risk at the moment 

1 hour ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Are the Random tests acceptable for the 2nd day tests? Great if they are.

This is what it says on gov website.

"book and pay £68 for a COVID-19 test – you should take this test within 2 days of arriving in Scotland and must book your testing kit using the CTM Booking Portal"

54 minutes ago, theshed said:

If you test positive then that’s you screwed as have to isolate in hotel at your own cost. For me it’s no worth the risk at the moment 

That’s where my head is at present, for the same reason. 

56 minutes ago, theshed said:

Plenty of cheap insurance policies will cover this for you. 

30 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Plenty of cheap insurance policies will cover this for you. 

It just the hassle of the whole thing to be honest 

Test positive over there... stuck in hotel for 10 days and not allowed out then that means 10 days off work as well. Thought when I got double jagged I’d get away on holiday but no such luck 

They really need to drop this testing carry on or no one will go on holiday and places will start going bust. 

Just now, theshed said:

It just the hassle of the whole thing to be honest 

Test positive over there... stuck in hotel for 10 days and not allowed out then that means 10 days off work as well. Thought when I got double jagged I’d get away on holiday but no such luck 

They really need to drop this testing carry on or no one will go on holiday and places will start going bust. 

Aye don’t disagree mate. 👍

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Someone I was with in Spain contacted their MSP regarding the disparity between English testing and the Scottish Gov scam - was going to be raised at Holyrood - another sweep sweep no doubt - the SG have got to get the missing 000s back somehow 

5 hours ago, theshed said:

Ah it depends what country you’re going to of course. 

4 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Are the Random tests acceptable for the 2nd day tests? Great if they are.

This is what it says on gov website.

"book and pay £68 for a COVID-19 test – you should take this test within 2 days of arriving in Scotland and must book your testing kit using the CTM Booking Portal"

I used Randox and NHS phoned me to ask if I had done it and I said yes and could send the result if they wanted. They said not to bother but we’re happy I’d done it. Bizarre as I could’ve just made it up.

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Someone I was with in Spain contacted their MSP regarding the disparity between English testing and the Scottish Gov scam - was going to be raised at Holyrood - another sweep sweep no doubt - the SG have got to get the missing 000s back somehow 

It really is farcical, why has this company been chose to benefit out of all those who do the tests? As I say I had no problem however using Randox.

31 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

It really is farcical, why has this company been chose to benefit out of all those who do the tests? As I say I had no problem however using Randox.

Did you not need to input a CTM reference number in the Passenger Locator form?

1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Did you not need to input a CTM reference number in the Passenger Locator form?

I had to put the reference number from Randox yes which was accepted on the form.

EDIT - I should also add this form was only glanced at leaving Croatia. There was no check of anything whatsoever in Edinburgh.

Edited by SteauaNeedarest