Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He’s always worth listening to.

Very much so. This guy is very good too and worth reading his regular updates. 

Shanks said no
5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Rumours that easyJet are in trouble, have broke in the media. 

Easyjet sent out an email around 4pm yesterday

Travel should be simple and, with easyJet holidays, it is

Since our launch last year, we have been committed to creating the perfect holiday. We provide everything you need, from flights and baggage to accommodation and transfers*, in one great-value, ATOL protected package, with us an ABTA member. 

We want you to book your holiday with confidence which is why we are now launching our easyJet holidays Protection Promise which will be applied to all bookings. 

This is on top of the protection and guidance we're providing if our customers' holidays are impacted by Covid-19. From our Best Price Guarantee, to the flexibility to change plans, you're protected with easyJet holidays. That's a promise.

6 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Rumours that easyJet are in trouble, have broke in the media. 

Don't think they are in any more truouble than the rest of the aviation industry is at the moment tbh.

This story appears to have started from a union rep who was trying to pursuade pilots to go part-time or face redundancy and painted a really bleak future so as to try and sway their thinking, which worked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54303379

From there I think the media got a hold of it and, well you know what the media is like.

Samuel Camazzola

Poland and Estonia anticipated to be removed from the exempt list tomorrow unless there are any changes to the parameters. 

Various Greek Islands have very low rates but doubt these will be given exemption. 

UK rate is 66 with Scotland at 69. Benchmark for exemption is 20.

CavySlaveJambo

Putting this in here because it is travel and tourism related. 

Disney are laying off 28,000 Cast members due to the pandemic from there Parks, Experiences and Products division (some will come from Disney Stores).  

Disney World can fully reopen, but given Disney is big on Health and Safety are probably going to do it gradually.  And it is an international destination resort, so lots of people who have bookings and have cancelled due to not being able to travel.  Disneyland has not been allowed to reopen, and I can see Paris potentially having to close again. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Turkey & Poland removed from the safe list for England.

That's gonna really hurt the travel industry.

It certainly will.

School holidays coming up in a few weeks as well.

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Roll a six to start decisions it seems. Sweden and Italy kept on exempt list. 

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Numbers in Turkey have been steady /falling for the last couple of weeks so this makes absolutely no sense at all 

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Numbers in Turkey have been steady /falling for the last couple of weeks so this makes absolutely no sense at all 

Yeah, rate has been around 13 (66 in UK). There's been chatter about Schapps not being happy about the way Turkey records infections but it sounds like this decision has been knee-jerk to fit in with a weekly 5pm update. 

Shanks said no

Arrivals from the Caribbean islands of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba will also have to quarantine from Saturday.

The Scottish government announced that those arriving from the Azores and Madeira will no longer need to quarantine in Scotland "due to the low number of cases".

53 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Been rumours for a few weeks that Turkey are fudging the stats. Shame for those over there now impacted. 

Might be because of the below, taken from the Daily Sabah, an English language paper here

Turkey has been reporting symptomatic COVID-19 cases, minister says

59 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Been rumours for a few weeks that Turkey are fudging the stats. Shame for those over there now impacted. 

Simon Calder mentioned this on the TV earlier.

The thing is, if the rumours are true, it's bloody dangerous and disgusting that the Turks have put money before the welfare of tourists, imo.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Scotland as well.

19 minutes ago, graygo said:

Scotland as well.

Yes, the initial report was that it was for England and then Scotland was added to the reports about 20 minutes later, but by then I'd already posted.

On 25/09/2020 at 12:00, The Real Maroonblood said:

He’s always worth listening to.

Simon Calder was urging people to go on holiday less than a week before Spain went on lockdown.

People who phoned him on TV asking if they should cancel were being told not to listen to scare stories and go and enjoy their holiday.

Many including my wife and I took his advice and resulted in either being stranded abroad or having to pay thousands to get home.

Travel expert with his finger on the button  😂😂😂😂

Edited by luckydug

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, luckydug said:

Simon Calder was urging people to go on holiday less than a week before Spain went on lockdown.

People who phoned him on TV asking if they should cancel were being told not to listen to scare stories and go and enjoy their holiday.

Many including my wife and I took his advice and resulted in either being stranded abroad or having to pay thousands to get home.

Sorry to hear that.

I’ve usually found him quite informative.

Obviously not on this occasion.

9 hours ago, luckydug said:

Indeed, he urged people back in March/April for folks to pay their balance and if the holiday was cancelled they'd get all their money back and if it wasn't cancelled to go and have a wonderful time.

In fairness he nor any of the other travel experts who advocated the same thing, didn't know at the time, that so many restrictions would be in force in resort or quarantine rules would be brought in, however he and other's have cost a lot of people a lot of money, stress & worry who listened and followed their advice.

Have to agree with the Simon Calder comments. I normally like him but right from the start his advice has been very one sided.

I've seen quite a few folk on Twitter mentioning how Turkey is so much safer than the UK due to the measures they have in place. The restrictions are very loosely enforced. Some examples:

1) Some places take your temperature when you go in, most don't. One place scanned my crotch as a joke. If we entered the hotel via the back entrance at the end of our night out there was no check.

2) Masks are meant to be worn in all public areas. Nobody wore a mask in the hotel. In the streets people wore them round their necks. In bars and restaurants there were none.

3) There was no social distancing. At the pool during the day you would not thought it any different to a holiday in normal times. In bars and restaurants the tables were still packed in together.

4) No dancing. Bit of a weird one this, you weren't allowed to even stand at your table and dance. This was actually pretty strictly enforced at the beach strip bars as the police were patrolling and stopping if they saw it happening. Most places had regular announcements saying not to dance and enforced it themselves. Some didn't. In the bars in the main street there seemed to be plenty dancing.

Heartsmad1874

Thinking about a trip to New York with the missus end of November/start of December. Don't know if its worth booking with BA. Seen some bits online about them cancelling and offering vouchers instead of refunds. Tempted to just put it off until next year.

28 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Thinking about a trip to New York with the missus end of November/start of December. Don't know if its worth booking with BA. Seen some bits online about them cancelling and offering vouchers instead of refunds. Tempted to just put it off until next year.

Presumably you are happy to isolate on return? 

35 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Everything I had booked with BA this year I got a full cash refund, however not sure if that is the still the case (my last refund was about 6/8 weeks ago after my holiday in October was cancelled).

As it stands the US still aren't allowing entry direct from the UK unless you are a US citizen I believe, so would be a bit of gamble thinking that might change in those time frames, plus I'd imagine you'd need to quarantine on return as well.

Worth checking out BA's policy though to see where you would stand. Also worth noting some flights are still going to the US, so not sure where you would stand if the flight went ahead but you weren't allowed to enter, might make the refund a bit trickier.

Edited by jvm32

Doctor FinnBarr
On 02/10/2020 at 09:30, Sooperstar said:

Have to agree with the Simon Calder comments. I normally like him but right from the start his advice has been very one sided.

I've seen quite a few folk on Twitter mentioning how Turkey is so much safer than the UK due to the measures they have in place. The restrictions are very loosely enforced. Some examples:

1) Some places take your temperature when you go in, most don't. One place scanned my crotch as a joke. If we entered the hotel via the back entrance at the end of our night out there was no check.

2) Masks are meant to be worn in all public areas. Nobody wore a mask in the hotel. In the streets people wore them round their necks. In bars and restaurants there were none.

3) There was no social distancing. At the pool during the day you would not thought it any different to a holiday in normal times. In bars and restaurants the tables were still packed in together.

4) No dancing. Bit of a weird one this, you weren't allowed to even stand at your table and dance. This was actually pretty strictly enforced at the beach strip bars as the police were patrolling and stopping if they saw it happening. Most places had regular announcements saying not to dance and enforced it themselves. Some didn't. In the bars in the main street there seemed to be plenty dancing.

Think things must have been a bit different in Icmeler. we had our temp checked in every bar/restaurant we went into, hand sanitizers on every table plus also dotted round the premises. Even the 2 boat trips we went on (same boat) marked down temps incase the coastguard pulled them. Most Brits and Turks seemed to be wearing masks on the street but the Russians/Ukrainians etc didn't seem to think it applied to them.

I'm not long home and needing bed so I'll not go into a massive rant about our hotel, but I might do after having a good sleep (certainly didn't there last night).

7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Think things must have been a bit different in Icmeler. we had our temp checked in every bar/restaurant we went into, hand sanitizers on every table plus also dotted round the premises. Even the 2 boat trips we went on (same boat) marked down temps incase the coastguard pulled them. Most Brits and Turks seemed to be wearing masks on the street but the Russians/Ukrainians etc didn't seem to think it applied to them.

I'm not long home and needing bed so I'll not go into a massive rant about our hotel, but I might do after having a good sleep (certainly didn't there last night).

We went through to Icmeler one night to meet friends and it was night and day from Marmaris. So much quieter with most bars I seen closed. It was like a ghost town too. Apparently the rules are being applied more strictly through there.

When looking at hotels I did see a couple where the latest 10/15 reviews were all complaining about rude Russian guests.

I'm really pissed off with TUI/First Choice.

We booked a holiday to Tenerife in December 2019 which is/was due to depart this coming Friday.

They still haven't cancelled our holiday yet despite it being clear to me that the holiday won't be going ahead.  The only option they're giving us just now is a "free" amendment so we can rebook for next year. This isn't something I want to do as I'd much rather just get my money back.

So, 3 days before we are due to depart I am still waiting to hear from them about a holiday which I will not be going on.

Shanks said no
10 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

We booked a holiday to Tenerife in December 2019 which is/was due to depart this coming Friday.

They still haven't cancelled our holiday yet despite it being clear to me that the holiday won't be going ahead.  The only option they're giving us just now is a "free" amendment so we can rebook for next year. This isn't something I want to do as I'd much rather just get my money back.

So, 3 days before we are due to depart I am still waiting to hear from them about a holiday which I will not be going on.

If the flight is still going and the hotel is welcoming guests then that’s all you may entitled to. Have you checked? 

15 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If the flight is still going and the hotel is welcoming guests then that’s all you may entitled to. Have you checked? 

As things stand, the flight will still be going but considering the FCO are advising against all but essential travel I think it's very unfair. 

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

As you booked pre March, if you had holiday insurance in place at that time (or were covered via a packaged bank account), the terms will be in your favour and you'll be covered for a refund through them. 

You should still get your refund from TUI as it should only be flight only bookings that are entitled to be subject to amendments or credit vouchers. 

Nucky Thompson
34 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

As things stand, the flight will still be going but considering the FCO are advising against all but essential travel I think it's very unfair. 

I'm due to go to Lanzarote in February.

If the FCO advice is still the same and my holiday operator still went ahead with the holiday, then I would be delighted

Shanks said no
53 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

completely agree that it’s unfair, exactly same happened with my easyJet Crete flights, no refund and best I could get was rebook next year when Mrs F is unlikely to be able to get time off unless one of our other holidays is cancelled. 

I had booked during Covid though so was aware of the risks

Toxteth O'Grady
3 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

I think they will cancel it 

Yay, thankfully they have now notified me that the holiday is cancelled and I’ve went for a full refund. Just watching for the money to reappear in my account in the coming days but they’ve finally seen sense. 

I was due to fly to Portugal in 2 weeks , I got the dates changed to next year but had to pay extra for new flights ,  as they said - still flying and the hotel is open ,  my choice to cancel

Presumably you have insurance? I think even insurance bought before FCO guidance changed would cover you.

Shanks said no
49 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Yay, thankfully they have now notified me that the holiday is cancelled and I’ve went for a full refund. Just watching for the money to reappear in my account in the coming days but they’ve finally seen sense. 

👍

My laddie is still waiting for and having hassle trying to get his money back from KLM.

Since my last update, KLM have now cancelled all his flights and automatically rebooked him onto other flights which have now since been cancelled as well, he put in a for a full refund at the end of July and was told it could take up to 90 days to process it, we are now on day 77 and not a peep of an update.

He got an email from KLM at the start of this month saying that they are now unable to fly him to South Africa because the SA government are not allowing British tourists in.  So he contacted them for an update and to say that as they can't fly him now, he wants his money back, all he got is the usual BS of we are really busy, unprecedented times, we're working as quick as we can, in other words BS after BS after BS from KLM, his patience is running very thin now.  He'll wait the 90 days as per KLM's T&C's, however if he's not had his money back after that, then he'll be taking it further.

Needless to say he'll never ever book another flight with KLM and after the BS he's had from them neither will I.

The Real Maroonblood

Great news.

18 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My laddie is still waiting for and having hassle trying to get his money back from KLM.

Since my last update, KLM have now cancelled all his flights and automatically rebooked him onto other flights which have now since been cancelled as well, he put in a for a full refund at the end of July and was told it could take up to 90 days to process it, we are now on day 77 and not a peep of an update.

He got an email from KLM at the start of this month saying that they are now unable to fly him to South Africa because the SA government are not allowing British tourists in.  So he contacted them for an update and to say that as they can't fly him now, he wants his money back, all he got is the usual BS of we are really busy, unprecedented times, we're working as quick as we can, in other words BS after BS after BS from KLM, his patience is running very thin now.  He'll wait the 90 days as per KLM's T&C's, however if he's not had his money back after that, then he'll be taking it further.

Needless to say he'll never ever book another flight with KLM and after the BS he's had from them neither will I.

No offence mate but until the 90 days are up that's a non-story. 

2 hours ago, graygo said:

No offence mate but until the 90 days are up that's a non-story. 

Normally I'd agree, however they initially said that they'd be in touch within 60 days, then it changed to 90 days and yesterday he got told that they couldn't give him an update and didn't know how long things could take.

Just kicking the can further down the road, they know they have to pay out and are just stalling for as long as they can spin it, that's what's going on here now, well it certainly looks like that.

Toxteth O'Grady
23 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

That’s good. I don’t think they have any intention to fly anywhere that requires quarantine on return but they are only cancelling at short notice. I suspect this is because they couldn’t begin to cope with the numbers of refunds if they cancelled up to the end of the year. Also some people will cancel themselves and TUI will get to keep their money.

In still waiting on refund when flybe went bust.  Booked other flights and got cancelled. Should get money by Christmas. Glad the hotel was cancelled no problem. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Normally I'd agree, however they initially said that they'd be in touch within 60 days, then it changed to 90 days and yesterday he got told that they couldn't give him an update and didn't know how long things could take.

Just kicking the can further down the road, they know they have to pay out and are just stalling for as long as they can spin it, that's what's going on here now, well it certainly looks like that.

I take it the flights weren't paid by credit card so a charge back is out the equation?

17 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

I take it the flights weren't paid by credit card so a charge back is out the equation?

Doesn't matter now, result.

KLM have refunded him his entire amount of over £2300, it was in his bank account this afternoon, delighted he is.

So that's now the last of the wedding cancellation sorted, the flights/honeymoon to South Africa was the last thing to get sorted.

They are now looking at hiring a motorhome and touring Canada for their honeymoon next year, assuming the rearranged date of the wedding goes ahead, which at the moment is anybody's guess, but at least they have their money back and that was the main thing here.

Thank you to all who have offered advice on this matter. 👍