Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Looking for somewhere to go next weekend. Were hoping for sun and a swimming pool and no quarantine on return. Thought we had it nailed with 4 nights in Cyprus, but you need to have evidence of a negative covid test on arrival so that has scuppered things.

Looking like Berlin or Krakow now, where the weather will be good at least.

Italy or Turkey? 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shanks said no

I waited until yesterday, 14 days before we were due to fly to Greece before cancelling, in the hope the flights would cancel, they didn't.

Took 3 phone calls and me losing it on the 2nd call where the bloke tried to tell me I was going to be charged to change my flights, no refund was available, I would have pay the difference (2021 flights much more expensive) and that I could do all this online. Easyjet system would not let me do this as the flights were "off account" due to being a credit from a flight they previously cancelled.

So after Mrs F and No 1 son went into hiding I found 2 flights that were slightly less expensive than my £443 batch. I rang back for a 3rd time and they recognised that I had called earlier.... So re-booked flights for next year and everything went through without any charge. Checked the invoice and they had added a £148 easyjet credit (£37 x 4 flight change fee) onto my account.

So a decent result. Only problem is Mrs F doesn't have enough holidays, so might have to go on my tod, absolute result.

50 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Looking for somewhere to go next weekend. Were hoping for sun and a swimming pool and no quarantine on return. Thought we had it nailed with 4 nights in Cyprus, but you need to have evidence of a negative covid test on arrival so that has scuppered things.

Looking like Berlin or Krakow now, where the weather will be good at least.

Gdansk (Sopot) Thursday - Tuesday for £150 from Edinburgh looks good, weather should be decent and a great beach.

42 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Italy or Turkey? 

We are looking at 3 or 4 nights Wed/Thu to Sunday which makes it difficult to find suitable flights for those countries, particularly Turkey.

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Gdansk (Sopot) Thursday - Tuesday for £150 from Edinburgh looks good, weather should be decent and a great beach.

Would have been perfect if we could return Sunday/Monday. 

Edited by Sooperstar

Shanks said no
14 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

We are looking at 3 or 4 nights Wed/Thu to Sunday which makes it difficult to find suitable flights for those countries, particularly Turkey.

Would have been perfect if we could return Sunday/Monday. 

I've been looking at Krakow for a long weekend in a couple of weeks time and was getting some decent prices. We will have to leave it till the very last minute to see if we can risk going (very ill in-law and very pregnant daughter)

10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I've been looking at Krakow for a long weekend in a couple of weeks time and was getting some decent prices. We will have to leave it till the very last minute to see if we can risk going (very ill in-law and very pregnant daughter)

We will be making our decision on Sunday, for leaving on Thursday. I just really want to get away somewhere.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Worst pizza I ever bought was from a kiosk at Gdansk beach - it was effectively just tomato paste whirled on to a small base. Just thought I would mention that as it is still an abiding memory. :)

Loved Gdansk though, in great part because of the Solidarność connections.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Worst pizza I ever bought was from a kiosk at Gdansk beach - it was effectively just tomato paste whirled on to a small base. Just thought I would mention that as it is still an abiding memory. :)

Loved Gdansk though, in great part because of the Solidarność connections.

Worst pizza I ever had was in Salerno on the Amalfi coast, sounds pretty similar to the one you had. Go figure eh? 😁

They now have a Solidarność museum in Gdansk which is worth visiting if you've never been.

24 minutes ago, graygo said:

Worst pizza I ever had was in Salerno on the Amalfi coast, sounds pretty similar to the one you had. Go figure eh? 😁

They now have a Solidarność museum in Gdansk which is worth visiting if you've never been.

You would have thought that the Italians would have worked out pizza by now. :D  Strangely enough, my best ever pizza was in Honfleur in France.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Museum. Unfortunately I was there before it opened, but I'll make sure I go if I return.

Turkey is a likely destination for me in October, I'm getting mixed opinions from workmates on whether I should go, reasons ranging from

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

What if the quarantine rules change?

Anyone been or have any answers?

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, ericb said:

Turkey is a likely destination for me in October, I'm getting mixed opinions from workmates on whether I should go, reasons ranging from

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

Simon Calder (journalist for the Independent and regular BBC go-to-guy) is probable the most reliable public figure to gauge your thoughts on. 

Will it be hot? Yes

Will it be any good? Depends what you are after but with the vast number of 5* complexes, I'd expect you'll find something to make it enjoyable. 

Quarantine rules? Current indicator has Turkey below 14 (with 20 being a benchmark). Cyprus is below 4 and Greece is around 17 but certain islands have been put on the list by England and Wales. Scotland has given the whole country a blanket no go. 

Will it be safe? Depends what you are looking out for. Radge Geordies? Terrorists? COVID? 

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, ericb said:

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

Safe - no idea re Covid but generally very safe

good - been on some superb AIs there, with amazingly good food

hot - early October probably but late October chancy, we had a week of rain in Lara beach, think there is a string of resorts protected by mountains but can’t remember which

quarantine change - biggest risk probably a local rather than national outbreak- see Greece 

some really good hotels and I would veer away from brits only hotels. Royal dragon, royal Alhambra and Baia Lara beach were vg ones I remember 

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, ericb said:

Is this true? Jet2 have flights on just now?

They don't recognise the Scottish government guidance. They operate based on what guidance is provided by the FCO. It's caused issues! 

5 hours ago, ericb said:

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

Found Lara beach very safe, later October may be a little cooler especially in the evening. Hotels are amazing, very large though so might not be your thing. 

5 hours ago, ericb said:

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

@hughesie27 is there just now.

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, ericb said:

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

We went for a few years to Marmaris or Icmeler for the last week in Sept. first week in Oct. Weather is in the 30s during the day but canny half dip at night, so much so that bar owners will bring out shoulder wraps to keep you there. In saying that the sea (Marmaris Bay) is at its warmest  as its had 6 months to warm itself up.

Oh aye, its safer than walking through most schemes in Edinburgh at night.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

10 hours ago, ericb said:

Will it be safe?

Will it be any good?

Will it be hot?

I'm here just now.

Temp check as you go through passport control. Temp checks at hotel and some restaurants (generally not at bars).

Hotel and bar staff wear masks. You are onlynrewllyneslexted to wear a mask in the street and on transport.

Sanitizer all over the hotel and in a lot of bars and restaurants. 

Seen the police patrol the main streets twice checking for masks (mainly checking for Turks and hospitality staff). On the spot fine if caught.

Exchange rate is fantastic. 

Cases seem safe for the next couple of weeks at least.

Definitely more masks thank UK.

Thanks All,

Have been to Turkey a few times, and have no issues, it was just a query as to COVID, and whether it is considered safe to travel there right now.

I think I will go, I just hope it doesn't get added tot he quarantine list.

Edited by ericb

Samuel Camazzola

Jet2 have pulled holidays to Portugal (Algarve) until end of Oct. Unless some islands are opened up, Turkey, Cyprus and Italy looking like the only main short-haul 'summer' destinations. 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 17/09/2020 at 23:21, hughesie27 said:

I'm here just now.

Temp check as you go through passport control. Temp checks at hotel and some restaurants (generally not at bars).

Hotel and bar staff wear masks. You are onlynrewllyneslexted to wear a mask in the street and on transport.

Sanitizer all over the hotel and in a lot of bars and restaurants. 

Seen the police patrol the main streets twice checking for masks (mainly checking for Turks and hospitality staff). On the spot fine if caught.

Exchange rate is fantastic. 

Cases seem safe for the next couple of weeks at least.

Definitely more masks thank UK.

On 18/09/2020 at 13:06, ericb said:

Thanks All,

Have been to Turkey a few times, and have no issues, it was just a query as to COVID, and whether it is considered safe to travel there right now.

I think I will go, I just hope it doesn't get added tot he quarantine list.

Damn you both for talking about Turkey. Cancelled my caravan holiday in Lossiemouth  (full refund) and my 3 night hot tub break in Newtonmore (no refund but I sold it to a mate for  half price) and booked 11 nights AI in Icmeler.

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Damn you both for talking about Turkey. Cancelled my caravan holiday in Lossiemouth  (full refund) and my 3 night hot tub break in Newtonmore (no refund but I sold it to a mate for  half price) and booked 11 nights AI in Icmeler.

My Algarve trip is a no go so planning on booking Belek in the next day or two. ☀ 

Heading home tonight. Would happily have stayed an extra week if work wasn't in the way. Lucky to get away as it's always a lottery when you book.

Cases around 14 per 100k atm. UK is 38.1 per 100k.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Heading home tonight. Would happily have stayed an extra week if work wasn't in the way. Lucky to get away as it's always a lottery when you book.

Cases around 14 per 100k atm. UK is 38.1 per 100k.

What like is the seating on planes like mate? Is it still 3 to a row or are things distanced?

3 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

What like is the seating on planes like mate? Is it still 3 to a row or are things distanced?

You fae Aberdon?

Plane are completely normal other than you must wear a mask at all times other than when eating or drinking. You also disembark row by row from the front.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

You fae Aberdon?

Plane are completely normal other than you must wear a mask at all times other than when eating or drinking. You also disembark row by row from the front.

Fit?

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

You fae Aberdon?

Where’s Aberdon?

Shanks said no

New FCO advice just out for Greece with local restrictions now impacting Attica (Athens and islands of Angistri, Aegina, Hydra, Kythira, Poros,Salamis, and Spetses.) 

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

New FCO advice just out for Greece with local restrictions now impacting Attica (Athens and islands of Angistri, Aegina, Hydra, Kythira, Poros,Salamis, and Spetses.) 

There can't be many Greek holiday destinations left on the exempt list? I can't recall Rhodes or Halkidiki being listed previously but there will be only around 5/6 weeks left of their summer season. 

Shanks said no
20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There can't be many Greek holiday destinations left on the exempt list? I can't recall Rhodes or Halkidiki being listed previously but there will be only around 5/6 weeks left of their summer season. 

Halkidiki were hit early doors due to the adjacent border.

from fco

Thessaloniki, East Macedonia & Thrace, Larissa, Corfu, Karditsa, Trikala, Volos, Rethymnon, Paros & Antiparos, Santorini, Rhodes, Kos:

Restaurants, bars and entertainment venues will remain closed from midnight to 7am

A ban of gatherings of more than 50 people, either indoors and outdoors.

This list of areas may be expanded.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Halkidiki were hit early doors due to the adjacent border.

from fco

Thessaloniki, East Macedonia & Thrace, Larissa, Corfu, Karditsa, Trikala, Volos, Rethymnon, Paros & Antiparos, Santorini, Rhodes, Kos:

Restaurants, bars and entertainment venues will remain closed from midnight to 7am

A ban of gatherings of more than 50 people, either indoors and outdoors.

This list of areas may be expanded.

Cheers. Rhodes likely to be one of the last ones standing. 

I thought Bulgaria would have been added to the exempt list as they had been showing a sustained low rating lately. 

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Marmaris on Sunday. Be good to get away.

Icmeler for us on Friday, hope we're still allowed to travel. Going to be sweating until that flight takes off.

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Icmeler for us on Friday, hope we're still allowed to travel. Going to be sweating until that flight takes off.

It'll be like the scene from Argo when you are sitting on the runway. 

10 hours ago, graygo said:

Enjoy. 👍

Cheers

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Should be fine. Turkey has been hovering a reasonable amount below the Government's trigger for quarantine.

Doctor FinnBarr
17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Cheers

Should be fine. Turkey has been hovering a reasonable amount below the Government's trigger for quarantine.

More worried that wee Jimmy will stop us travelling to the airport. As long as they announce quarantine when I'm over there I still get full wages. if they announce it before I leave my pocket takes the hit.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Everyone jumping on the bandwagon now :smugger:

Went to Icmeler for years mate but not been for the last 5 but seeing as how its about the only place we can visit now............

12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Everyone jumping on the bandwagon now :smugger:

My bandwagon for Portugal is raring to go  -  not looking good though       

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, shlabalaba said:

My bandwagon for Portugal is raring to go  -  not looking good though       

The plug got pulled on my Portugal trip as the airline pushed back their re-launch date. Trip to Antalya - which was originally planned at Easter - now on the cards. 

Currently 30C in the shade so fingers crossed Turkey is kept on the exempt list. 🤞 

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We should still be ok for a few days in Tarbert in October. Not expecting 30 in the shade there. 🧐

God knows what radioactive materials lurk in that part of the country! 😳

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

There is a U.K. trial as well with Medical Detection Dogs. 

Yeah, I heard £0.5m has been put in to fund the trial. 

Shanks said no
18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Denmark, Slovakia, Iceland & Curacao have all been added to the travel quarantine list.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-denmark-slovakia-and-iceland-added-to-englands-travel-quarantine-list-12080518

Looks like I missed a bullet, for once, as I had priced EDI-CPH for next weekend, return was only about £60.