Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Jambo-Jimbo
18 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Bahamas, Andorra and Belgium all now going on the 14 day quarantine list

France will quite likely be next.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
21 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

My Turkey holiday looking sketchy next month. 1000+cases the last 2 days.

Yikes. Do you still want to go?

25 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

My Turkey holiday looking sketchy next month. 1000+cases the last 2 days.

They are really cracking down on people there now, 250000 inspectors out on the streets enforcing mask use. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Fair enough. 

I'm pretty sure Turkey will be added to the list within the next 5 weeks.

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm pretty sure Turkey will be added to the list within the next 5 weeks.

Unless things turn around I would imagine so. 

I decided to cancel my hotel for my trip to Manchester next month, as I cancelled outwith 28 days I was due a full refund. Refund received 3 days later. Thanks Premier Inn. 

Shanks said no

Some Greek islands beginning to see spikes. Cause appears to be partying holidaymakers. 

Mykonos and Poros worst hit so far.

Strict containment measures went into effect on the Saronic Gulf island of Poros on Friday after 13 people were diagnosed.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm not sure why anyone has been wanting to go abroad for a holiday this year. 

To get away from possibly the worst affected country in Europe?  

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Taking advantage of Covid prices. Flights are dirt cheap and so is accommodation. Most places, especially the less traditional destinations are much less riddled than the UK. 

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not sure why your not sure. As long as you keep to the common sense rules and protect yourself from others it’s as safe as here, safer in many cases.

Booking a holiday and paying for it and taking a risk with your money ? that’s another matter.

Weve just booked for Iceland and paid up front. I’ve been checking their numbers every day since but it’s more likely to be our numbers that stop us going.

One little cough on the plane and people will beg for parachutes - what a carry on.

That is my only reason for staying until next year at least.

Well I'm just back tonight after 5 days in Gdansk, apart from being an absolutely stunning wee city with more bars and restaurants than you could ever hope for, the Poles (very few other nationalities as far as I could tell) were taking precautions seriously. Face coverings inside, all staff wearing masks and hand sanitiser stations everywhere.

I've been checking the figures for Poland and they're not looking good with a serious spike in cases but it's mainly confined to the South of the country.

Flights were a breeze although wearing a mask from the minute you enter the airport till you leave your destination airport was a bit uncomfortable.

Would I go away again? Too right.

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well I'm just back tonight after 5 days in Gdansk, apart from being an absolutely stunning wee city with more bars and restaurants than you could ever hope for, the Poles (very few other nationalities as far as I could tell) were taking precautions seriously. Face coverings inside, all staff wearing masks and hand sanitiser stations everywhere.

I've been checking the figures for Poland and they're not looking good with a serious spike in cases but it's mainly confined to the South of the country.

Flights were a breeze although wearing a mask from the minute you enter the airport till you leave your destination airport was a bit uncomfortable.

Would I go away again? Too right.

Glad you survived 😁

As I said before, zero fecks being given in Tallinn re precautions, not a mask in sight. Plenty hand sanitiser and floor markings but largely ignored. Would be astonished if there isn't some sort of big second wave of infections. 

Heading home early tomorrow so I should really think about packing, but on the other hand the pubs are open until 6am 😏

Edited by Smack

Well my stand off with Ryanair ends in a draw with the insurance company losing out. Thanks to the current FCO advice claim made which should be pretty straightforward. Not sure how they can get away with flying tourists to places the FCO say you shouldn’t go to. 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 08/08/2020 at 15:26, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'd rather sit with a carry out on a balcony in Torremolinos than my back garden in Blackburn..........and lets not forget the cheap baccy.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Well my stand off with Ryanair ends in a draw with the insurance company losing out. Thanks to the current FCO advice claim made which should be pretty straightforward. Not sure how they can get away with flying tourists to places the FCO say you shouldn’t go to. 

They don't say you can't go, you can go if it's essential travel so Ryanair will fly if they can. Only you can decide if it's essential or not. 

Edited by graygo

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Was your flight booked pre-March? If so, I'd have thought the majority of insurance policies would have been in your favour. 

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Was your flight booked pre-March? If so, I'd have thought the majority of insurance policies would have been in your favour. 

Yeah was booked last year. Not concerned I’m pretty confident we are covered. 

31 minutes ago, graygo said:

They don't say you can't go, you can go if it's essential travel so Ryanair will fly if they can. Only you can decide if it's essential or not. 

Who is essentially travelling to Fuerteventura? Not many people I’d imagine. Ryanair clearly taking the piss since anyone travelling there will be doing so in all likelihood with invalid insurance.  That’s why the rest of the airlines have cancelled their flights. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'd rather sit with a carry out on a balcony in Torremolinos than my back garden in Blackburn..........and lets not forget the cheap baccy.

Well each to their own I suppose but I was really referring to all the uncertainty of the "air bridges" and going on holiday only to find you have to self isolate for 10 days or more on your return. Oh and I can understand why you wouldn't want to sit anywhere let alone your back garden in Blackburn! 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Yeah was booked last year. Not concerned I’m pretty confident we are covered. 

I'd believe so too. I think the insurance Co could have made an error here. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Who is essentially travelling to Fuerteventura? Not many people I’d imagine. Ryanair clearly taking the piss since anyone travelling there will be doing so in all likelihood with invalid insurance.  That’s why the rest of the airlines have cancelled their flights. 

I never mentioned Fuerteventura, how about Madrid, Barcelona? Same applies.

28 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'd believe so too. I think the insurance Co could have made an error here. 

In what way ?

Edited by Dazo

I was in canaries 2 weeks ago. Finish self isolation tomorrow. Have to say felt very safe there. Amazing how airport there was very into health safety with heat scanners, doctors and mandatory arrival health form on arrival. Back in Edinburgh it was border force more interested in mobile phone useage than health stuff. Self scan and no questions asked about form being completed. And Spanish canaries aren’t safe compared to us😀 Very worrying at our own border.

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, MES said:

I was in canaries 2 weeks ago. Finish self isolation tomorrow. Have to say felt very safe there. Amazing how airport there was very into health safety with heat scanners, doctors and mandatory arrival health form on arrival. Back in Edinburgh it was border force more interested in mobile phone useage than health stuff. Self scan and no questions asked about form being completed. And Spanish canaries aren’t safe compared to us😀 Very worrying at our own border.

So your work was happy about another 2 weeks leave ?, or maybe self employed.

27 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

So your work was happy about another 2 weeks leave ?, or maybe self employed.

Possibly working from home.

I'm away start of September and 9/10 self isolation wouldn't be an issue for me but I need to be on site right after I'm back. Just crossing my fingers that the rules don't change for my destinations. All good currently but it can change fast as we've seen.

Harry Potter
55 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Possibly working from home.

I'm away start of September and 9/10 self isolation wouldn't be an issue for me but I need to be on site right after I'm back. Just crossing my fingers that the rules don't change for my destinations. All good currently but it can change fast as we've seen.

Working from home, thats an option, anyway true what you say, rules changing all the time.

willie wallace

Yesterday I was speaking to my son who lives in Amsterdam and we were discussing the possibility of  him bringing the grandkids over.

Just shows how things can change in in just a few hours.

Jambo 4 Ever
22 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Yesterday I was speaking to my son who lives in Amsterdam and we were discussing the possibility of  him bringing the grandkids over.

Just shows how things can change in in just a few hours.

probably safer not to til a vaccine is found to be honest

willie wallace
15 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Yea,it was more wishful thinking than anything else.

59 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

That could be years away or never 

CavySlaveJambo
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

This will have to be the new normal til then

That is not realistic long term. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

Til there is a vaccine it will have to be 

they have been looking for a vaccine for HIV  for almost bc bc 40 years. They found treatments within 10 and highly effective treatment within 15. This might be the same case.  I would like to see my family face to face if that is the case because FaceTime is not the same. 

There are two other options that could happen. One is the virus mutates to common cold level of severity, might take 2-3 years. In fact might be happening already

Or Treatment is found for severe cases, which they are a lot closer too. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

they have been looking for a vaccine for HIV  for almost bc bc 40 years. They found treatments within 10 and highly effective treatment within 15. This might be the same case.  I would like to see my family face to face if that is the case because FaceTime is not the same. 

There are two other options that could happen. One is the virus mutates to common cold level of severity, might take 2-3 years. In fact might be happening already

Or Treatment is found for severe cases, which they are a lot closer too. 

You can’t catch hiv from someone in the same sag as this virus - which can be deadly

i know what you mean about FaceTime not being the same but like I’ve said until there is a vaccine - this is just going to have to be the new normal 

it’s not like you can give them a hug just now anyway 

7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

There is FaceTime for those who live abroad 

As long as people don’t break the regulations and accept the possible risks then that's their decision to make. 

Jambo 4 Ever
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As long as people don’t break the regulations and accept the possible risks then that's their decision to make. 

Yes but the safer way is video call - there is no doubt about that 

7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Yes but the safer way is video call - there is no doubt about that 

Video call is always safer than physical travel, pandemic or no pandemic. 

I’m not sure I understand the mentality; “There’s a global pandemic going on, with borders being opened/closed all the time and on/off quarantine restrictions constantly changing....so I’m just going to pop off abroad for a bit”?