Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

We've got flights for June with Ryanair. Everything else has been cancelled and refunded. Dreading Ryanair running flights rather than cancelling and losing out on the flight refund.

If they do cancel and refuse to issue a refund I imagine we'll go through the credit card company to get the money.

michael oleary has just said on bbc breakfast that they expect to be back with some flights july/august

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think I’ll have a fight with TUI. We were due out on 4th August to Salou but took the decision to cancel our holiday 3 weeks ago given the situation.

Got through after 1.5 hours and lost the deposit, which was fair enough, I knew the terms and conditions. But we’re still due back a wedge already paid towards the hol which we were told at the time we should get.

Tried to call yesterday but understandably they are really busy. However, I didn’t even get through to the options as i did before . It just cuts off. 😳

just checked and today i got my refund for my flights from easyjet. was supposed to fly 2nd week in april so a few weeks after flights were due but at least i have my money back now

8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I don't think Ryanair will be running flights anywhere soon. If ever again.

53 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

michael oleary has just said on bbc breakfast that they expect to be back with some flights july/august

Sounds like we'll be okay then. Thanks 👍

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

In all honesty we won't be going anywhere this year, places just aren't going to be the same for quite some time.

A private villa/apartment and daily access to.a golf course will keep you right. 👍 

Jambos_1874

Does anyone know how the **** you get a refund from Ryanair? My flight was cancelled, I applied for a refund by clicking on the link in the email and then was told I have received a voucher. I cannot find anywhere on the website which actually allows me to apply for a cash refund, although it is vaguely alluded to. 

Shanks said no
On 22/04/2020 at 16:48, The Frenchman Returns said:

Thanks chaps

I expect to have EasyJet Edi-Athens flights on 14th June cancelled soon. Unfortunately for me I booked all the component parts myself as I knew what I wanted and couldn't get it via a package holiday.

It will be house if cards trying to recoup the cost and I would actually book the same location, dates, accommodation again for June 2021 but flights are only currently on sale until Easter 21, so I will have to sit with Easyjet vouchers for a few months.

Greek ban on UK flights expires 15th May, my accommodation can be cancelled FOC up to 14th May, hopefully the Greeks make a decision early. Ferries are booked directly with Greek ferry company and they would appear to be offering vouchers too.

This will be the 3rd holiday in a row cancelled. (I absolutely get that this is only money but apart from the flight I would appear to be much safer in Greece)

well I received the dreaded email this morning from my Greek apartment owners, asking me to cancel and waiving the cancellation fee. 

so I am now going to have the joys of contacting easyJet, Greek ferry company and Athens hotel.

This dream holiday was the one thing keeping me going through long Covid hours. Gutted.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/how-to-get-cash-refund-for-cancelled-tui-jet2-easyjet-and-ryanair-flight-and-what-the-law-says/ar-BB13u9TK?li=AAJsPCA&ocid=spartandhp

There was also a post with the Easy Jet details and where to send the form to earlier in this thread

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/

How to claim an EasyJet refund for a cancelled flight EasyJet is now directing customers to an online refund form to claim for cancelled flights. It says that it will do its ‘best to complete your request within 28 days’. 28 days is longer than the seven days easyJet is legally allowed to issue refunds for cancellations but, given the exceptional circumstances and number of refunds the airline is dealing with, it’s not unreasonable. Which? has heard from many customers from all airlines who have already been waiting longer than 28 days for a refund.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/ - Which?

Edited by CJGJ

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/how-to-get-cash-refund-for-cancelled-tui-jet2-easyjet-and-ryanair-flight-and-what-the-law-says/ar-BB13u9TK?li=AAJsPCA&ocid=spartandhp

There was also a post with the Easy Jet details and where to send the form to earlier in this thread

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/

How to claim an EasyJet refund for a cancelled flight EasyJet is now directing customers to an online refund form to claim for cancelled flights. It says that it will do its ‘best to complete your request within 28 days’. 28 days is longer than the seven days easyJet is legally allowed to issue refunds for cancellations but, given the exceptional circumstances and number of refunds the airline is dealing with, it’s not unreasonable. Which? has heard from many customers from all airlines who have already been waiting longer than 28 days for a refund.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/ - Which?

I've got Easy Jet flights to Seville in 3 weeks. Not cancelled yet but got the chance to re-book on to any flight in Europe or receive a voucher. Offer expired last night. Was going to book on end of Sept flight but will just book that separately over the next couple of days and wait for a refund for May flights.

Shanks said no

Chatted online to apartment owner last night. There are different rules for different accommodation reopening in June in Greece. Year round hotels vs seasonal. Here's what I was told

Hi Frenchman, I am afraid we are not allowed to open in June and you are not allowed to travel. Stay safe yourself, all the best Flora

17 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've got Easy Jet flights to Seville in 3 weeks. Not cancelled yet but got the chance to re-book on to any flight in Europe or receive a voucher. Offer expired last night. Was going to book on end of Sept flight but will just book that separately over the next couple of days and wait for a refund for May flights.

I was due to be in Seville last weekend but of course flight cancelled..had to wait until Easy Jet cancelled flight to claim.

Hotel are also going to refund as Spanish government ordered hotels to be closed as well

There are not enough details to rebook as there are not even flight details available that will certainly fly in order to book any accomodation

Looks like next year for Seville

inspector

Seville was going to be a popular place. We were due there on June 8th, also flying with Easyjet. Apart from generic e-mails from them, I haven't heard anything and don't expect any for at least a couple of weeks.

Hugh Phamism

We have a villa in Orlando, and (fortunately) decided to take it out of the short term rental market during the previous market collapse in 2008. We have had the same long term tenants now for the past 10 years, but I know of many owners who still have short term rental properties in the Disney area.

The current rules in Florida, declared by Governor DeSantis, is that hotels and condos are now open for business, but holiday villas are still locked down until further notice.  It is believed  by many that DeSantis is dancing to the tune of corporations (Disney and Universal, etc.) and the major hotel chains. This is a major disadvantage for the many private owners who rely on rental income to cover their costs and will impact future availability.

inspector
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Sevilla is nice. You would've liked it.

Thank you. 😭

1 hour ago, Hugh Phamism said:

We have a villa in Orlando, and (fortunately) decided to take it out of the short term rental market during the previous market collapse in 2008. We have had the same long term tenants now for the past 10 years, but I know of many owners who still have short term rental properties in the Disney area.

The current rules in Florida, declared by Governor DeSantis, is that hotels and condos are now open for business, but holiday villas are still locked down until further notice.  It is believed  by many that DeSantis is dancing to the tune of corporations (Disney and Universal, etc.) and the major hotel chains. This is a major disadvantage for the many private owners who rely on rental income to cover their costs and will impact future availability.

I believe Disney are taking bookings at their resorts/hotels from 1 June however they cancel on a rolling 7 day basis. They have cancelled through 23rd May today so are cutting it fine.

I am booked, with 3rd party agents, a Disney resort from 29th June but not going as virgin Atlantic are allowing free rebooking until sometime in 2022. I paid the 3rd party agents  a large deposit which I’ll never see again. Such is life.

6 hours ago, Barack said:

Thanks for that.. again 😭

Edited by CJGJ

Hugh Phamism
2 hours ago, westbow said:

I believe Disney are taking bookings at their resorts/hotels from 1 June however they cancel on a rolling 7 day basis. They have cancelled through 23rd May today so are cutting it fine.

I am booked, with 3rd party agents, a Disney resort from 29th June but not going as virgin Atlantic are allowing free rebooking until sometime in 2022. I paid the 3rd party agents  a large deposit which I’ll never see again. Such is life.

My buddy was booked to go in April with BA, which obviously didn't happen. He has rebooked for November, but who knows if BA will flying again (if at all...) by then.

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, westbow said:

I am supposed to be going in August.  Booked directed with Disney, so can cancel up until 8 days before I go, and get most of my money back (maybe lose £150). 

Disney have also said they don't know when they will reopen the parks.   Universal Orlando is closed until at least the 31st May.  

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I'll get your does and dont's for Seville next year

I've never been (would  love to). However, a DO is check when the Celtic scaffs are intending to descend upon the place like zombies from The Walking Dead. I believe hoardes of them pollute the place on an annual basis. 

You DON'T want to be anywhere near the place when masses in full kits are swarming the streets. I've been to places like Santa Ponsa which seems to attract the unwashed and it's not nice. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola
Typing error

Enzo Chiefo
9 hours ago, Barack said:

Bit like Jim Bowen in Bullseye...this is what you would have won😄

15 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I am supposed to be going in August.  Booked directed with Disney, so can cancel up until 8 days before I go, and get most of my money back (maybe lose £150). 

Disney have also said they don't know when they will reopen the parks.   Universal Orlando is closed until at least the 31st May.  

I’ve been on google Alert with Walt Disney world for a few months which is good for keeping up to date ( and the rumours which can turn out to be fairly accurate).

I booked easy jet to Gatwick and virgin to Orlando. Renting someone else’s Disney timeshare for four days initially then one weeks Airbnb (never booked, phew!) followed by last 3 days at a Disney resort through Disney.

Bit of a mess to wade through as 5 separate bookings. Only the time share is an issue, which to be honest is a result.

16 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

My buddy was booked to go in April with BA, which obviously didn't happen. He has rebooked for November, but who knows if BA will flying again (if at all...) by then.

I feel bad for the families who were bumped by Thomas cook last year and promised their kids they would go this year. I think the tourist industry will go through the same issues as estate agents in 2008. A slow growth initially but back with a vengeance. Just a gut feeling with no facts to back me up 😀.

Jambo-Jimbo
43 minutes ago, westbow said:

I feel bad for the families who were bumped by Thomas cook last year and promised their kids they would go this year. I think the tourist industry will go through the same issues as estate agents in 2008.A slow growth initially but back with a vengeance. Just a gut feeling with no facts to back me up 😀.

And that is probably the way it'll go.

The rest of this year minimal numbers of holidaymakers both flying from the UK but also into the UK.

Next year 2021 as confidence grows more will venture abroad again and as long as there isn't any major outbreaks then the numbers will continue to grow.

By 2022 all going well, I can see the industry recovering, not to 2019 levels but getting there, it'll take 2 or 3 years for the confidence to return, and that is either with or without a vaccine.

Carl Weathers

I have flights booked with Ryanair to Sweden in June and Barcelona in July. I'm assuming both will be cancelled. I don't fancy travelling until much later in the year/next year anyway. 

highlandjambo3

I decided to start up a tour guide business this year to bolt onto my guesthouse, one car and a maximum group of 4, providing both accommodation and tours rolled into one seemed to be a good idea at the time.  Managed to get one tour done before lockdown.  
Around 50odd cancellations now with more coming through every day but, I’m quite an optimistic fella.  Good thing is I don’t  employ any staff and, I can survive (pay bills) even if I am not operating.

I think two things will happen this year:

1.  I think when (if) we get a green light to travel, a lot of UK based people will opt for a stay in the UK holiday.  Even if holidays abroad are possible, some people may be a wee bit wary of how well protected they will be in another country, flying, departure lounges, hotels, social distancing etc....

2.  Large groups of people travelling in coaches throughout the highlands sightseeing will go down the pan I think.  Smaller more private tours will become more attractive.

We are currently taking in key workers and have implemented some changes (which are likely to be perminent).  We don’t check people in, there is a combination lock on the door to gain access, a cleaning station just inside the front door for hands and luggage.  Guests are restricted to their rooms.  Breakfast is at an allocated time per room with only one group in the dining room at anyone time.  Breakfast is a hot & cold self service buffet which is prepared and laid out before any guests arrive in the dining room.  It seems to work well, we’ve had people here for the last 6 weeks and not seen a single one of them 😃.

I think most small businesses will be planning some sort of operational change, if not they should be.  For certain, things will never be the same again.

Stay safe 

Edited by highlandjambo3

On 01/05/2020 at 20:41, Jambos_1874 said:

Does anyone know how the **** you get a refund from Ryanair? My flight was cancelled, I applied for a refund by clicking on the link in the email and then was told I have received a voucher. I cannot find anywhere on the website which actually allows me to apply for a cash refund, although it is vaguely alluded to. 

PM them on twitter seems to be the only way to get added to the very lengthy refund queue

Jambo-Jimbo
36 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I decided to start up a tour guide business this year to bolt onto my guesthouse, one car and a maximum group of 4, providing both accommodation and tours rolled into one seemed to be a good idea at the time.  Managed to get one tour done before lockdown.  
Around 50odd cancellations now with more coming through every day but, I’m quite an optimistic fella.  Good thing is I don’t  employ any staff and, I can survive (pay bills) even if I am not operating.

1.  I think when (if) we get a green light to travel, a lot of UK based people will opt for a stay in the UK holiday.  Even if holidays abroad are possible, some people may be a wee bit wary of how well protected they will be in another country, flying, departure lounges, hotels, social distancing etc....

2.  Large groups of people travelling in coaches throughout the highlands sightseeing will go down the pan I think.  Smaller more private tours will become more attractive.

We are currently taking in key workers and have implemented some changes (which are likely to be perminent).  We don’t check people in, there is a combination lock on the door to gain access, a cleaning station just inside the front door for hands and luggage.  Guests are restricted to their rooms.  Breakfast is at an allocated time per room with only one group in the dining room at anyone time.  Breakfast is a hot & cold self service buffet which is prepared and laid out before any guests arrive in the dining room.  It seems to work well, we’ve had people here for the last 6 weeks and not seen a single one of them 😃.

I think most small businesses will be planning some sort of operational change, if not they should be.  For certain, things will never be the same again.

Stay safe 

Was saying this to Mrs JJ just the other day, that hotels will need to implement something like this when they re-open.

For the foreseeable I just can't see there being the free for all that was the case in many of the larger hotels/resorts at breakfast time, same with all inclusive where there is a buffet lunch & dinner, I can see many people being put off with the prospect of dozens of other people milling around the food stations before them, I wasn't overly keen on that before all of this, as it was.

Also do people really want to go to a hotel/resort with say 1000 guests staying there, this is where I think smaller hotels will become much more popular, certainly in the shorter/medium term, people will, I believe, for the next few years be trying to avoid large crowds as much as they can.

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Stay safe 

Best of luck to you mate. Out of the ashes new businesses will flourish. It can take a seismic event to change industries. Businesses that have been white knuckling it for years will unfortunately go down but it forces people to look differently and use new technologies to solve new problems. Out of 2008 Airbnb and Uber emerged along with others to regenerate the economy. I have no doubt it will be a changed landscape but also new opportunities. We all just need to keep the heid up and be conscious of new possibilities. :) 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Chaps said:

Virgin Atlantic to cut 3,150 jobs and close Gatwick.

Branson will see them alright.

PortyJambo
17 minutes ago, Chaps said:

BA announced the other day that they wouldn't be re-opening their Gatwick operations either. That airport will struggle with losing both BA and Virgin.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

BA announced the other day that they wouldn't be re-opening their Gatwick operations either. That airport will struggle with losing both BA and Virgin.

Should kibosh the additional Heathrow runway for a while. 

40 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Hope they keep Glasgow and Manchester open.

Shanks said no
56 minutes ago, Chaps said:

there goes another fxxxxxx holiday then

getting sick of this

not due to fly until February,

And given that Virgin Atlantic also said it will move its flying programme from Gatwick to Heathrow. It said it intended to keep its slots at Gatwick "so it can return in line with customer demand" I might not be screwed just yet. 

how easy is it to get from Gatwick to Heathrow? I already have easyJet flights booked.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

getting sick of this

And given that Virgin Atlantic also said it will move its flying programme from Gatwick to Heathrow. It said it intended to keep its slots at Gatwick "so it can return in line with customer demand" I might not be screwed just yet. 

how easy is it to get from Gatwick to Heathrow? I already have easyJet flights booked.

Short journey along the M25.

So about 6 hours :laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Gatwick could go down the tube at that rate. BA blinks, and it's just Easyjet left.

Heathrow can barely cope as it is the now, if Gatwick went Heathrow would never be able to take up the extra flights.

Gatwick is I think Easyjet's main training base.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

getting sick of this

My Edinburgh to Gatwick flights with EasyJet gave us about 3 hours until Gatwick to Orlando flight. Yikes.

55 minutes ago, westbow said:

My Edinburgh to Gatwick flights with EasyJet gave us about 3 hours until Gatwick to Orlando flight. Yikes.

Transatlantic flights usually need you to check in a minimum of 2 hours before departure - although you can fudge that a little bit. Assuming that worst case however, that realistically leaves you 60 minutes to complete a 75 min transfer should you need to get to Heathrow, and even that assumes no afore-mentioned M25 traffic shitshow. I reckon you would've missed it.

Edited by trotter

2 hours ago, trotter said:

Transatlantic flights usually need you to check in a minimum of 2 hours before departure - although you can fudge that a little bit. Assuming that worst case however, that realistically leaves you 60 minutes to complete a 75 min transfer should you need to get to Heathrow, and even that assumes no afore-mentioned M25 traffic shitshow. I reckon you would've missed it.

Yeah, wouldn’t want the stress. Think easyJet and virgin are ok with alternative flights and destinations. Might try Los Angeles Instead next year. Unless it’s deteriorated to the point of biker gangs fighting over the last tin of tuna.

CavySlaveJambo
10 hours ago, Chaps said:

cutting Glasgow operations too, so only LHR and MAN now. 
And they’ve retired there 747 fleet today. 

JimmyCant
On 30/04/2020 at 09:48, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yes, once you've joined the refund queue, Ryanair are playing this open-ended by stating the refunds will gradually be made once the pandemic is less intense, clever!

I’m waiting on a big Ryanair refund for return flights for 6 people. Been sent the voucher option email but didn’t respond . Got in touch with my bank to chargeback. Their instruction was to email another final refund request and If there is no reply (no reply the last 2 times) within 7 days that is tantamount to a refusal to refund and they will give me the chargeback. Feck waiting until ‘the pandemic is over’ that’s just taking the piss.

26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m waiting on a big Ryanair refund for return flights for 6 people. Been sent the voucher option email but didn’t respond . Got in touch with my bank to chargeback. Their instruction was to email another final refund request and If there is no reply (no reply the last 2 times) within 7 days that is tantamount to a refusal to refund and they will give me the chargeback. Feck waiting until ‘the pandemic is over’ that’s just taking the piss.

Good advice JC, what precise Ryanair email address have you used?

I've got a few K sitting with Ryanair also, 2 seats, 7 seats and 6 seats, all return. (all paid with CC)

Thanks in advance for the email address.

JimmyCant
5 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Good advice JC, what precise Ryanair email address have you used?

I've got a few K sitting with Ryanair also, 2 seats, 7 seats and 6 seats, all return. (all paid with CC)

Thanks in advance for the email address.

[email protected]

That was the last one I emailed. It’s the same address the voucher email came from.

There’s another one I used 3 weeks ago which I’ll try and find for you.

check with your bank first that they will support your chargeback claim and what they need from you. Apparently not all banks are approaching it the same way

davemclaren
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Did you just phone your bank to discuss a chargeback?

11 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

cutting Glasgow operations too, so only LHR and MAN now. 
And they’ve retired there 747 fleet today. 

Bummer. Looks like they are abandoning Orlando for the time being.