Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

davemclaren
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

thats what I did on 26th March and just got a voucher offer yesterday - although cash refund might be available its impossible to get answer what you need to do to get on the cash refund waiting list - I will try a straight forward email requesting but not hold my breath for a response

Oh well I expect a similar email then. 😖

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Here is a story about Ryan air, I have not shared this with many people......

My daughter and granddaughter had planned to fly down to the Harry potter studio in March 2017, she booked the tickets in June 16.... my daughter was not very well and sadly she died in October 16.  After a few weeks it was my granddaughters decision that she still wanted to go to the Harry Potter studio and I would take her.  Ryan air refused to change the name on the ticket to my name unless I paid £250, I refused and booked new flights with easyJet.  I will NEVER forgive them for that and I hope they go bust (I know it’s not their employees fault) their owner is an absolute snake.

Because it was a difficult time, I didn’t have the stomach to take this to the papers.

That is dreadful, that is a shocking way to treat people, especially under the circumstances, it's dreadful.

Flew with them once, never again, and I mean never again, I'll even pay more and have done just that, so I don't have to fly with them.

They are as cheap as chips but if something goes wrong your pretty much on your own, the number of horror stories I've heard about Ryanair.

We were going on a cruise, could easily get a direct Ryanair flight Edinburgh to Rome, but we paid extra and flew BA to Heathrow then to Rome.

Good job we choose BA because on the last day of our cruise, we were actually in Pompeii at the time, we got a text saying our flight the next day had been cancelled, French ATC & Italian baggage handlers were both on strike, long story short, got through to BA got re-booked on both flights for the next again day no problems, was told to book into a hotel & keep receipts blah blah.  Submitted claim and within a week BA had refunded the money for the hotel, meals etc etc into our bank account, if that had been Ryanair I'd likely still be chasing them for the refunds a couple of years down the line.

36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My Ryanair flight in May was cancelled Via an eMail from them last week  Went on their site and requested a refund which should come within 25 days...maybe. 🥴

Time-line for my Ryanair flight to Tenerife, 06/04/2020

Ryanair cancelled flight, 15/03/2020

Ryanair sent email with unique link for full refund, 20/03/2020

Yesterday (20/04/2020) Ryanair sent another email advising me to take their voucher (18 digit number). If I don't take the voucher there is also an option for full refund, but will be logged in a very long queue and will take some time to process (no shock there). The voucher can be used for flights that extend past the year expiry date, as long as the voucher is spent before the expiry date. 

Hope this helps.  

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yesterday (20/04/2020) Ryanair sent another email advising me to take their voucher (18 digit number). If I don't take the voucher there is also an option for full refund, but will be logged in a very long queue and will take some time to process. The voucher can be used for flights that extend past the year expiry date, as long as the voucher is spent before the expiry date. 

Hope this helps.  

Thanks. They'll be hoping I peg it before it’s resolved. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 13/04/2020 at 11:27, Stuart Lyon said:

I was due to fly to Seville with easyJet on 23/4/2020 and was assured by the company via an email that I would get a refund if that's what I wanted. Got an email from them about 30 minutes ago to say the full refund had been approved and would be credited to my CC account in 3-5 days!  Always wonder though why they take the cash off right away when you pay but a refund takes 3-5 days?

I think it's because they get the interest for the days it takes to transfer, as the money is still in the company's bank account. Pretty sure it's similar to on-line betting accounts (they used to pay out the same day, then changed it to 3-5 days to transfer).

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Here is a story about Ryan air, I have not shared this with many people......

My daughter and granddaughter had planned to fly down to the Harry potter studio in March 2017, she booked the tickets in June 16.... my daughter was not very well and sadly she died in October 16.  After a few weeks it was my granddaughters decision that she still wanted to go to the Harry Potter studio and I would take her.  Ryan air refused to change the name on the ticket to my name unless I paid £250, I refused and booked new flights with easyJet.  I will NEVER forgive them for that and I hope they go bust (I know it’s not their employees fault) their owner is an absolute snake.

Because it was a difficult time, I didn’t have the stomach to take this to the papers.

That’s shocking and a disgrace.

Fortunately I’ve never flown with them and never will.

36 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That is dreadful, that is a shocking way to treat people, especially under the circumstances, it's dreadful.

Flew with them once, never again, and I mean never again, I'll even pay more and have done just that, so I don't have to fly with them.

They are as cheap as chips but if something goes wrong your pretty much on your own, the number of horror stories I've heard about Ryanair.

We were going on a cruise, could easily get a direct Ryanair flight Edinburgh to Rome, but we paid extra and flew BA to Heathrow then to Rome.

Good job we choose BA because on the last day of our cruise, we were actually in Pompeii at the time, we got a text saying our flight the next day had been cancelled, French ATC & Italian baggage handlers were both on strike, long story short, got through to BA got re-booked on both flights for the next again day no problems, was told to book into a hotel & keep receipts blah blah.  Submitted claim and within a week BA had refunded the money for the hotel, meals etc etc into our bank account, if that had been Ryanair I'd likely still be chasing them for the refunds a couple of years down the line.

Sorry to hear that and your experience sounds typical.

I've flown with them a few times but recently I've worked out that if you pay a few quid more you can get a much more risk free experience with better airlines. 

Flying to Crete later this year (hopefully!) and BA came up £30 TOTAL more expensive for 2 people incl luggage than Ryanair. Flight times middle of the day also instead of 06:00 departure time on the outbound journey and 22:40 on the return leg.

I get constant stick now from some family members because I'm 'posh' for flying BA and other similar airlines instead of Ryanair etc but means we enjoy our holidays so much more, but for less than the price of a meal out, why wouldn't I? 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Been refunded by Jet 2

When were you due to fly? I'm the 17th May and not been contacted yet. I'm asking for the money back, good to know you got yours.

manaliveits105
41 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What email address or you going to request refund from?

Not got that far yet -  it may well be just leaving messages on their chat that they dont get round to answering at the mo

59 minutes ago, cuthy2k said:

I've flown with them a few times but recently I've worked out that if you pay a few quid more you can get a much more risk free experience with better airlines. 

Flying to Crete later this year (hopefully!) and BA came up £30 TOTAL more expensive for 2 people incl luggage than Ryanair. Flight times middle of the day also instead of 06:00 departure time on the outbound journey and 22:40 on the return leg.

I get constant stick now from some family members because I'm 'posh' for flying BA and other similar airlines instead of Ryanair etc but means we enjoy our holidays so much more, but for less than the price of a meal out, why wouldn't I? 

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the 2 all-in BA flights? Just curios, never looked or flown with BA.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I think it's because they get the interest for the days it takes to transfer, as the money is still in the company's bank account. Pretty sure it's similar to on-line betting accounts (they used to pay out the same day, then changed it to 3-5 days to transfer).

I agree re: the interest but there's a few bookies that'll pay out on the same day and most are 3 days max.

Edited by IronJambo

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

After being on the ball earlier on and offering full cash refunds -( which I immediately applied for )or change fights to later for cancelled flights Ryan air have strung everyone along and now offering travel voucher valid for 1 year - if you want cash refund you will have to wait till their staff who handle refunds are back in office (no home working?) and there will be big Qs apparently - but when you try and find how you do that on site you just go round in circles .Bet if I wanted to give them money someone would miraculously appear .

May just settle for voucher meantime but have got another 2 flights to come over summer which will no doubt be cancelled also and could end up with 3 lots of vouchers with 12 months validity which may or may not be of use

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t want a ****ing flight voucher from Ryanair. So I try to apply for a refund, tells me I can’t as apply has already been requested for it. Which I have but that claim tells me to accept voucher, which I don’t want.

I suspect I will need to call them, which is probably about a 3 day queue.

A voucher with a years expired date is no use when probably won’t be able to fly for 6 months is of little use.

UnfortunateLy they are not the only air lining acting this and I’m going to have to be claiming a good few flights it looks like.

I'm in the same boat with Ryanair regarding being offered a voucher. Horrendous company.

Anyway, if its any help, I submitted a complaint stating that I would be going to my credit card company if the refund is not received within the original time frame given. Which is next Monday so highly doubtful.

(Complaint form: https://contactform.ryanair.com/)

I've also raised it with my credit card company anyway and they've raised a dispute for me. Being told it could take up to 45 days for someone to deal with the case due to high demand but at least that's worst case scenario if I don't get refunded by Ryanair in the meantime.

Definitely do not accept their shoddy attempt to retain money that's rightfully yours. Total scumbags, I echo what others are saying in this thread: I won't be booking with them again.

Good luck!

Don't forget the voucher will only be to the value of what you paid. There is nothing stopping them from bumping up the prices next year to squeeze even more money out of you.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, cuthy2k said:

I think you've read my post wrong.

I flew with BA because I won't fly with Ryanair and a good job I did fly with BA when things went wrong.

Price wise IIRC the cost for the BA flights were around £120 in total more than Ryanair, however the Ryanair flight would have meant that we'd have 3 nights in Rome before the cruise and 1 night afterwards, whilst the BA flight involved only 1 nights stay in Rome beforehand, therefore the flight might have been £120 dearer but the overall holiday worked out over £400 cheaper (less nights in hotels) than if we'd flown with Ryanair direct from Edinburgh.

Worthing Jambo
26 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the 2 all-in BA flights? Just curios, never looked or flown with BA.

BA certainly ain’t posh😂

Mostly old aircraft held together with gaffer tape.

Unless you go premium or above I would class them as similar to a low cost airline.

They just have good routes and good flight times so there sometimes isn’t a lot of choice.

Easy for me to say because of my location but I would never fly Ryanair, ever!

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

When were you due to fly? I'm the 17th May and not been contacted yet. I'm asking for the money back, good to know you got yours.

I was due to Fly with jet2 holidays on 30th March, had my money refunded by 2nd April as I refused the voucher

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

BA certainly ain’t posh😂

Mostly old aircraft held together with gaffer tape.

Unless you go premium or above I would class them as similar to a low cost airline.

They just have good routes and good flight times so there sometimes isn’t a lot of choice.

Easy for me to say because of my location but I would never fly Ryanair, ever!

Ain't that the truth, ageing fleet BA have.

My daughter's partner is a FO with BA flying A319/A320's and he says you have to kickstart half the feckers, they're that old.

Compare that to Easyjet, was on a flight christmas eve from Edinburgh to Gatwick A320neo 2 weeks old it was.

Jet2 have a young fleet now, 737-800's 2 or 3 years old most of them are now, until a few years ago they were flying 30 yr old 737-300's.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

My Ryanair flight in May was cancelled Via an eMail from them last week  Went on their site and requested a refund which should come within 25 days...maybe. 🥴

Same, was flying out with them on 4th may, return flight on the 8th with Jet2 is a different story, can either take a voucher now or wait for them to get in touch about a cash refund 

davemclaren
Just now, Ribble said:

Same, was flying out with them on 4th may, return flight on the 8th with Jet2 is a different story, can either take a voucher now or wait for them to get in touch about a cash refund 

Flying with Jet2 to Cyprus in July which must be looking extremely doubtful now as well. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

23rd of may. My missus ended up spending about an hour on phone waiting for them on the phone she didn't trust them to get in contact with us. They tried bloody hard to keep get us to rebook later on knowing fine well the dates they are offering will not fly. 

Adam Murray
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Flying with Jet2 to Cyprus in July which must be looking extremely doubtful now as well. 

Cyprus for me in July also, balance of holiday to be paid by Sunday. I'll take my chances and pay the balance off with a credit card,  with either the holiday insurance covering any cancellation or the credit card company, just in case there are any hassles with jet2.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Don't forget the voucher will only be to the value of what you paid. There is nothing stopping them from bumping up the prices next year to squeeze even more money out of you.

Lets hope there's still competition in the market.👍

My digs for April 2020 have been transfered to April 21, no extra cost, good people. Inflation should tip me over the voucher value for next April, just gonna bank the voucher, need flights anyway.

Could also be cheaper, folk might be wary of flying, more extras could be bagged.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Worthing Jambo
32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Ain't that the truth, ageing fleet BA have.

My daughter's partner is a FO with BA flying A319/A320's and he says you have to kickstart half the feckers, they're that old.

Compare that to Easyjet, was on a flight christmas eve from Edinburgh to Gatwick A320neo 2 weeks old it was.

Jet2 have a young fleet now, 737-800's 2 or 3 years old most of them are now, until a few years ago they were flying 30 yr old 737-300's.

Flew to Bangkok and back last year on a 20 year old 777.

The in flight entertainment reset itself every time there was a bump of turbulence, when it worked at all!

Luckily, I had a load of stuff on my phone I could watch.

They have you as the flight times and prices were reasonable.

Was due to fly with them to Tampa in May but that’s off now 😔😷

I did find their holiday website booking system to be very good and again reasonably priced.

Walter Payton
3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yesterday (20/04/2020) Ryanair sent another email advising me to take their voucher (18 digit number). If I don't take the voucher there is also an option for full refund, but will be logged in a very long queue and will take some time to process (no shock there). The voucher can be used for flights that extend past the year expiry date, as long as the voucher is spent before the expiry date. 

Hope this helps.  

How did you pay for the flight- was it on a credit card?

Under the consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, merchants have 14 days to refund items that didn't arrive/weren't fit for purpose/have been cancelled etc. While transit merchants like airlines are slightly different in that I don't believe customers get the standard 14 day cooling off period for distance sales, when the airline has cancelled (rather than the cardholder) it was my understanding that taking longer to refund than 14 days would still be a breach of the regulations. 

Where does this leave you? If you can get through to their customer service (good luck!), you may find mentioning the consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 may accelerate them proceeding with the refund (I found this worked recently with IKEA, though it was the 14th day I actually received my cash back). Alternatively if you can't be bothered with the fight and you paid for the flight with a scheme guaranteed card you could ask your issuing bank to process a chargeback request against Ryanair. This might take longer, but at least it would see you get a cash refund rather than only having a voucher. 

CavySlaveJambo

Meant to be going to see Mr M. Mouse in Orlando at the end of August. 

Seriously doubt that will be happening but at the moment it is too early to do anything. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

23rd of may. My missus ended up spending about an hour on phone waiting for them on the phone she didn't trust them to get in contact with us. They tried bloody hard to keep get us to rebook later on knowing fine well the dates they are offering will not fly. 

Yeah I can imagine. 

I'm just going to quote the T's and C's we agreed to upon time of booking and I took a screenshot of their website where it stated you were entitled to a full refund (they later removed that). I might phone them this weekend.

highlandjambo3
58 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Seriously doubt that will be happening but at the moment it is too early to do anything. 

America will be bonkers by August 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Adam Murray said:

Cyprus for me in July also, balance of holiday to be paid by Sunday. I'll take my chances and pay the balance off with a credit card,  with either the holiday insurance covering any cancellation or the credit card company, just in case there are any hassles with jet2.

That’s the sensible approach Imo. 

Just a heads up. As long as you have paid £100 by credit card, the rest of the payment can be by whatever method you choose. The whole amount is covered by the credit card company. Consumer Credit Act Section 75

Easy Jet like most of them making things as unclear as possible re refunds...but of course making another booking or getting a voucher much much easier

All the refunds go through the call centre Q's meaning long delays

This from a company who want my money to bail them out

When this is over I hope we will make them pay...when they want funding I'd give them the number of the 'funding' call centre and tell them there will be delays but they can have a voucher in 48 hours

Edited by CJGJ

5 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Easy Jet like most of them making things as unclear as possible re refunds...but of course making another booking or getting a voucher much much easier

All the refunds go through the call centre Q's meaning long delays

This from a company who want my money to bail them out

When this is over I hope we will make them pay...when they want funding I'd give them the number of the 'funding' call centre and tell them there will be delays but they can have a voucher in 48 hours

If your flight with easyJet has been cancelled there is an online form for a refund that can be filled in and submitted.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/refund-form

Edited by jimmyjambo

I had a flight with easyJet booked for last week, was cancelled about 3 weeks back. I rang them up, took maybe about 20 attempts to get through, but once through got a refund and money was back in my account about 5 days later, didn't think it was too bad an experience, expected a lot worse. 

2 hours ago, Bring on the Future said:

How did you pay for the flight- was it on a credit card?

Under the consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, merchants have 14 days to refund items that didn't arrive/weren't fit for purpose/have been cancelled etc. While transit merchants like airlines are slightly different in that I don't believe customers get the standard 14 day cooling off period for distance sales, when the airline has cancelled (rather than the cardholder) it was my understanding that taking longer to refund than 14 days would still be a breach of the regulations. 

Where does this leave you? If you can get through to their customer service (good luck!), you may find mentioning the consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 may accelerate them proceeding with the refund (I found this worked recently with IKEA, though it was the 14th day I actually received my cash back). Alternatively if you can't be bothered with the fight and you paid for the flight with a scheme guaranteed card you could ask your issuing bank to process a chargeback request against Ryanair. This might take longer, but at least it would see you get a cash refund rather than only having a voucher. 

Thanks for the direction BotF, appreciated. Yes, I payed with CC.

I'm banking on some sort of normality next April, who know's what that might be though? My apartment dates have been moved to 2021. I've accepted Ryanair's voucher and will use it for flights in April 2021. I don't have issues with the voucher option, plus it may contribute to the airlines future continuity.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I agree re: the interest but there's a few bookies that'll pay out on the same day and most are 3 days max.

You're probably right, I don't bet, so only going by mates moaning about it changing, ages ago.

11 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

How am I not shocked at this.

My balance is due to be paid this Sunday with Jet2, for our holiday in July.

I'm not paying it, because

1)  I don't want to go now, I can't take the risk.

2)  Even if I did pay it then it got cancelled, I'd likely receive a credit note instead of my money back.

So it's simplier to just keep the money in the bank, at least I know I've got the cash here, and if by some miracle there is a vaccine or something, I've got the cash to book something and leave pretty much within a week or two.

I wouldn't be cancelling, you'll lose your deposit.

Jet2 have been very good at refunding. 

I was due to go to Turkey in 3 weeks, they sent an email asking if I wanted a refund or I could rebook and receive £100 discount so I've rebooked for next may. They even call you back rather than have you holding in a queue.

5 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I am due in florida end october and still clinging on to some hope although losing faith every day.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was 10th May and they emailed me On 7th April and called me on the 12th to offer refund or rebook.

The offered voucher is a tempter for the easy, we keep your money scenario that they are desperate for. A lot of people will just accept that and move on. Also a lot of people will take the voucher because....

They are being a little naughty and making it as difficult as possible to get through on the phone. Long waits, Ryanair staff not working etc etc

If you have been cancelled you can get your money back on the phone.

However it's worth considering the voucher if you are not in a position of needing the cash. Travel industry is in a mess and we should all do what we can to help businesses and each other.

14 hours ago, jvm32 said:

I had a flight with easyJet booked for last week, was cancelled about 3 weeks back. I rang them up, took maybe about 20 attempts to get through, but once through got a refund and money was back in my account about 5 days later, didn't think it was too bad an experience, expected a lot worse. 

My flight with BA to Seville last week was cancelled weeks ago. As per the others, there's no online option for a refund, and when I call them I get a message saying they're too busy right now to take my call and hang up. Normally I'd try at a quieter time, eg. midnight, but they've cut their call centre hours so iys only open during the day.

I'm sure I'll get a refund eventually, but it's a pain at the moment trying to get it. Maybe if they put a refund option online, their call centre wouldn't be as busy!

manaliveits105

Eventually came across a Ryanair email address and submitted cash refund request with - reference - flight dates and numbers and passenger names - its - [email protected]  

will see what happens 

highlandjambo3
7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Eventually came across a Ryanair email address and submitted cash refund request with - reference - flight dates and numbers and passenger names - its - [email protected]  

will see what happens 

I have a feeling nothing will happen, they will ignore this as best they can.

10 hours ago, Phage said:

The offered voucher is a tempter for the easy, we keep your money scenario that they are desperate for. A lot of people will just accept that and move on. Also a lot of people will take the voucher because....

They are being a little naughty and making it as difficult as possible to get through on the phone. Long waits, Ryanair staff not working etc etc

If you have been cancelled you can get your money back on the phone.

However it's worth considering the voucher if you are not in a position of needing the cash. Travel industry is in a mess and we should all do what we can to help businesses and each other.

Which airline do you work for ? If they had a shred of customer consideration about them I’m sure many people would consider helping them out. The fact is they look to squeeze every penny out of you every way you turn and make the most simplistic  of things very difficult and costly. Spare me if I don’t shed a tear for that particular industry. 

davemclaren

Not sure what your consumer rights are if you accept a voucher. I doubt you are covered by ATOL, ABTA, travel insurance or even your credit card should the company default before you use it. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not sure what your consumer rights are if you accept a voucher. I doubt you are covered by ATOL, ABTA, travel insurance or even your credit card should the company default before you use it. 

There's not an option on the voucher email to accept or decline, obviously if you pursue the refund, the airline will know your intention. The voucher will only become live when purchasing new flights, so if the voucher isn't activated, the refund may still be obtainable, hopefully.

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I can imagine. 

I'm just going to quote the T's and C's we agreed to upon time of booking and I took a screenshot of their website where it stated you were entitled to a full refund (they later removed that). I might phone them this weekend.

You'll get your refund no bother. My Jet2 trip was scheduled for 6th April and received an email from them a few days before regarding options. You'll have to call to arrange refund (as to be expected, they want to retain business) but this is no hassle. 

I already had another trip with them planned for October and used my refunded cash to book another trip for September as the deal was too good to miss. If both get cancelled, I'll get full refunds again. 

Samuel Camazzola
On 21/04/2020 at 11:27, Jambo-Jimbo said:

How am I not shocked at this.

My balance is due to be paid this Sunday with Jet2, for our holiday in July.

I'm not paying it, because

1)  I don't want to go now, I can't take the risk.

2)  Even if I did pay it then it got cancelled, I'd likely receive a credit note instead of my money back.

So it's simplier to just keep the money in the bank, at least I know I've got the cash here, and if by some miracle there is a vaccine or something, I've got the cash to book something and leave pretty much within a week or two.

If you pay the full balance and it's cancelled, you'll get full cash refund. If you don't pay, you'll be subject to lose the amount laid out in the Ts & Cs (unless you have an insurance policy that can back up your reasons for not being able to travel). 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

There's not an option on the voucher email to accept or decline, obviously if you pursue the refund, the airline will know your intention. The voucher will only become live when purchasing new flights, so if the voucher isn't activated, the refund may still be obtainable, hopefully.

Not so sure but it will all out I suppose. For my Jet2 one in July I might just rebook for the year after, assuming it will be cancelled. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Where do you stand with a voucher if the travel agent / airline goes bust?

That’s the point I’m making. I think you would just be an ordinary creditor 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m no expert but my take is they wouldn’t be a lot of use.

You have a voucher for some activity. In the event of it going bust you would be a creditor with that voucher and with no chance of getting anything back.

I don’t see how anyone would have any consumer protection with a voucher. Who would provide it ABTA, credit card company, banks etc I doubt would. So who repays you?

The reason you can get a refund, is they are obliged to by law. If they don’t exist there is no recourse as far as I could tell. Maybe your credit card company but not convinced personally.

I can understand why the airlines want people to take vouchers. I’m not convinced anyone should though. 

Unless ATOL and/or Abta underwrite them.