Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

davemclaren

We were due to go up north for a wee break in just over a week. Just phoned the hotels to cancel and they were very understanding. Told them that, if we and them see this out, we’ll be booking up with them later in the year. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We were due to go up north for a wee break in just over a week. Just phoned the hotels to cancel and they were very understanding. Told them that, if we and them see this out, we’ll be booking up with them later in the year. 

Why would you not see it out?

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Dave's well into the vulnerable age group, kicking a hundred I heard 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Dave's well into the vulnerable age group, kicking a hundred I heard 

Fair enough. 

I think I'm old .

He's ancient. 

I have a holiday booked with Jet2 in May, which I know isn't going to happen.

I have not yet taken travel insurance out

I've paid only a deposit (not on a CC) and The balance is due imminently.

Do I cancel, thus losing my deposit.

Or pay up in the assumption I get a refund if they cancel on me?

Cairneyhill Jambo
Just now, ericb said:

Jet2 tweeted yesterday that all their flights have been suspended following FCO advice but intend starting them again on the 1 May 2020. 

Check out Jet2 tweets  

Jet2tweets (@jet2tweets)
https://twitter.com/jet2tweets?s=09
Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo
Update

5 minutes ago, ericb said:

I would be paying it up. I'm also due away with Jet2 in May and there's no chance of it happening imo so they will cancel it.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Jet2 tweeted yesterday that all their flights have been cancelled following FCO advice but intend starting them again on the 1 May 2020. 

Check out Jet2 tweets  

Jet2tweets (@jet2tweets)

They must be confident. 

1 minute ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Jet2 tweeted yesterday that all their flights have been cancelled following FCO advice but intend starting them again on the 1 May 2020. 

Check out Jet2 tweets  

Jet2tweets (@jet2tweets)

Starting again 1st May but under constant review, pretty sure they won't be flying anywhere in May.

50 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They must be confident. 

49 minutes ago, graygo said:

Starting again 1st May but under constant review, pretty sure they won't be flying anywhere in May.

Booked up to fly to crete on 10th May, I’ll post if I hear anything from them. Already had Italy cancelled for next week. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A bit of ( poor ) black humour. We are both in our 60s with ‘underlying health conditions’ which is why we cancelled. 

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A bit of ( poor ) black humour. We are both in our 60s with ‘underlying health conditions’ which is why we cancelled. 

You're a youngster compared to me.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Better getting a remote lodge or the likes off Airbnb Dave. You'll still get a hol but with the added bonus of staying well away from the virus.

John Findlay

I lost £500 way back in 1982. Was all booked up to follow Scotland in Spain.

Then the Argentinians decided to occupy the Falkland Islands. My insurance never covered War.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Better getting a remote lodge or the likes off Airbnb Dave. You'll still get a hol but with the added bonus of staying well away from the virus.

Good idea that. 

Doctor FinnBarr
27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I lost £500 way back in 1982. Was all booked up to follow Scotland in Spain.

Then the Argentinians decided to occupy the Falkland Islands. My insurance never covered War.

You sure it was a war John? Its always been described as a "conflict".

davemclaren
1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

War was never declared. 

Doctor FinnBarr
Just now, davemclaren said:

War was never declared. 

Thats what my then girlfriends Granny always said, it wasn't war unless Thatcher announced it to the people.

Malinga the Swinga

If you fancy a break, head to Islay. No confirmed cases of Coronavirus, and I stress confirmed, on the island as of today. Mind, Internet is shocking and weather not brilliant at this time of year. Most of distilleries are making hand sanitiser instead of whisky at the moment as well. Still a great place to visit.

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It was a war, I was right in the middle of it with thousands of others

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If you fancy a break, head to Islay. No confirmed cases of Coronavirus, and I stress confirmed, on the island as of today. Mind, Internet is shocking and weather not brilliant at this time of year. Most of distilleries are making hand sanitiser instead of whisky at the moment as well. Still a great place to visit.

The internet being shocking might not be a bad thing just now.

Malinga the Swinga
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The internet being shocking might not be a bad thing just now.

Port Charlotte, Portnahaven, Bruichladich, and Bowmore would be ideal just now. If broadband was better, I would move over for next few months and work from there. Not so bothered with Port Ellen but now days getting brighter and a bit warmer, the island is a great escape from the reality of where we are now.

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Port Charlotte, Portnahaven, Bruichladich, and Bowmore would be ideal just now. If broadband was better, I would move over for next few months and work from there. Not so bothered with Port Ellen but now days getting brighter and a bit warmer, the island is a great escape from the reality of where we are now.

Always fancied visiting some of these places.

Malinga the Swinga

I played for Portnahaven in village match v Port Charlotte about 10 years ago and tore my groin after about 60'minutes. Tried to play second leg three days later after taking injection and went into tackle after a minute. Thought my leg was going to fall off and had to crawl off pitch. My wife just stood there shaking her head and not saying a word. Mind I was about 45 and should have known better.

Was worth it though cause we won on penalties over the 2 legs.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga
Spelling

hmfc_liam06
22 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I run a small guesthouse up north and decided to branch out and do tour guides.  I pick up my first group tomorrow for a run up the Applecross peninsular then around Torridon.....it’s a spectacular run 170mile loop.

The thing is, no one will want to sit in a coach with a load of strangers now so, small private tours will do well.  The public event things are shut like culloden battlefield, distillery tours etc but tbh......there are a huge number of scenic drives up here and, the thing about tourists from abroad, they will be replaced by tourists from down south who still want to go on holiday but be a wee bit isolated, private lodges, cottages, out of the way.  I’ve lost a few bookings but, I guarantee once the dust settles down people will be heading north.....

my place. www.alba-Inverness.co.uk

Anyone fancy a wee break and tour, give me a shout.

p.s. This is not meant to be an advert 😂 

Wish you all the best mate, great that you're taking the initiative and thinking of other ways of income.

On 18/03/2020 at 11:58, tian447 said:

Just back from a long weekend on Skye, the place was dead and it was absolutely magic.  No chance of getting it round those parts.

Tourist season hasn't kicked off over there yet, but they're worried it's going to be very quiet as tourists can't fly into the UK to visit in the first place.

On 18/03/2020 at 23:50, Ray Gin said:

15 cases in Shetland, so I wouldn't consider Skye untouchable. 

22 hours ago, tian447 said:

I wonder if that's due to people flying in to Shetland for work etc. and coming into contact with it at airports or on planes.  Quite a lot of people travel between Shetland and the Mainland that way. 

I think we interacted with a total of 5 people in 3 days on Skye, mostly kept to ourselves in self catering. 

Definitely in the hebridean islands, however not confirmed as there has only been 9 tests carried out on elderly patients with pneumonia symptoms.

My mate and his girlfriend have definitely got it after he came back from Prague.

Cairneyhill Jambo
22 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Islay is my second home. Spent 3 weeks of my summers hols every year in Port Wemyss up until about 1985. You'll know big Lachlan then? 🙂

Malinga the Swinga
12 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Islay is my second home. Spent 3 weeks of my summers hols every year in Port Wemyss up until about 1985. You'll know big Lachlan then? 🙂

I spent 3 weeks there every summer from 2000 - 2011. Stayed in Portnahaven next to bus garage overlooking harbour. While I may recognise Lachlan's face, I don't recognise name. Always found it strange Port Wemyss and Portnahaven were separate villages but shared one shop and one pub. 

Have family, in-laws that still stay on island.. Kids not keen on going back, they want heat and sun, but I would go back in a second. 

davemclaren
29 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I spent 3 weeks there every summer from 2000 - 2011. Stayed in Portnahaven next to bus garage overlooking harbour. While I may recognise Lachlan's face, I don't recognise name. Always found it strange Port Wemyss and Portnahaven were separate villages but shared one shop and one pub. 

Have family, in-laws that still stay on island.. Kids not keen on going back, they want heat and sun, but I would go back in a second. 

Been there a few times. An old friend’s mother has a croft near Portnahaven. I wouldn’t mind seeing out the virus there but I doubt my liver could stand it 

Cairneyhill Jambo
46 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We used to stay in Burnside, the last house on the right in Port Wemyss as you head to Portnahaven. Big Lachlan Cameron is the same age as me and there was a crowd who used to run about together. Same age as me (50) and he's the owner of Ayr United. He still has the family home in Portnahaven. Halfway along the row of houses heading to the pub. 

Just as you leave Portnahaven,  heading to Port Charlotte, there's a football pitch on your left. We used to go there every day and play footie. The farmer came along one day and saw us playing in the field so built goalposts for us. 

Malinga the Swinga

The pitch at Pottnahaven has unfortunately bitten the dust. Last village game I played was at that park. Ball kept going ointment fields next to it and the thistles were unreal. The best pitch now is Port Charlotte. They still have nets on goals and not vandalised. Spent many an afternoon playing there with son. 

Also played for Islay boys club there, with the issue of being mid 40's at the time. Was good to play in same side as my son though. Remember eating steak pie and chips and half an hour later, boys club were 2 players short so me and son played. Great times.

• 3 weeks later...
Jambo-Jimbo

The FCO have updated their advice on foreign travel, which was due to run out on the 16 April.

The FCO is now warning against all non-essential travel 'indefinitely', with no end date attached.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/government-indefinitely-advises-against-all-non-essential-travel/

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The FCO have updated their advice on foreign travel, which was due to run out on the 16 April.

The FCO is now warning against all non-essential travel 'indefinitely', with no end date attached.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/government-indefinitely-advises-against-all-non-essential-travel/

Thanks for the link JJ.

Stuart Lyon

I was due to fly to Seville with easyJet on 23/4/2020 and was assured by the company via an email that I would get a refund if that's what I wanted. Got an email from them about 30 minutes ago to say the full refund had been approved and would be credited to my CC account in 3-5 days!  Always wonder though why they take the cash off right away when you pay but a refund takes 3-5 days?

Jambo-Jimbo

Tui have changed their refund policy, meaning you have to jump through at least another hoop to get your money back.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tui-refund-holiday-cancelled-coronavirus-flight-hotel-seat-upgrade-a9471916.html

A couple of other wee pieces of info I've picked up over the last week.

Talk of Italian resturants not being open until the Autumn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-52282117/italy-s-coronavirus-lockdown-puts-restaurants-out-of-business?intlink_from_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftopics%2Fcme13z181mgt%2Frestaurants&link_location=live-reporting-map

And in Venice, there is some talk about it'll be next year before some hotels open again, February or March 2021.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/19/venice-considers-a-new-tourism-model-after-covid-19-lockdown

The point here is Italy won't be the only place to do this, can see Spain being similar, can't see many holidays abroad being taken this year tbh.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tui have changed their refund policy, meaning you have to jump through at least another hoop to get your money back.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tui-refund-holiday-cancelled-coronavirus-flight-hotel-seat-upgrade-a9471916.html

A couple of other wee pieces of info I've picked up over the last week.

Talk of Italian resturants not being open until the Autumn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-52282117/italy-s-coronavirus-lockdown-puts-restaurants-out-of-business?intlink_from_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftopics%2Fcme13z181mgt%2Frestaurants&link_location=live-reporting-map

And in Venice, there is some talk about it'll be next year before some hotels open again, February or March 2021.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/19/venice-considers-a-new-tourism-model-after-covid-19-lockdown

The point here is Italy won't be the only place to do this, can see Spain being similar, can't see many holidays abroad being taken this year tbh.

Can’t see a lot of leisure based foreign travel happening until the earlier of a vaccine, herd Immunity or the virus mutates to something less dangerous.  Once that happens folk will eventually become complacent again re their health and win’t mind being crammed in a metal tube breathing the same recycled air as 300 others. 

manaliveits105

After being on the ball earlier on and offering full cash refunds -( which I immediately applied for )or change fights to later for cancelled flights Ryan air have strung everyone along and now offering travel voucher valid for 1 year - if you want cash refund you will have to wait till their staff who handle refunds are back in office (no home working?) and there will be big Qs apparently - but when you try and find how you do that on site you just go round in circles .Bet if I wanted to give them money someone would miraculously appear .

May just settle for voucher meantime but have got another 2 flights to come over summer which will no doubt be cancelled also and could end up with 3 lots of vouchers with 12 months validity which may or may not be of use

Jambo-Jimbo
34 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can’t see a lot of leisure based foreign travel happening until the earlier of a vaccine, herd Immunity or the virus mutates to something less dangerous.  Once that happens folk will eventually become complacent again re their health and win’t mind being crammed in a metal tube breathing the same recycled air as 300 others. 

I certainly won't be going abroad again until there is an effective treatment or a vaccine.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

After being on the ball earlier on and offering full cash refunds -( which I immediately applied for )or change fights to later for cancelled flights Ryan air have strung everyone along and now offering travel voucher valid for 1 year - if you want cash refund you will have to wait till their staff who handle refunds are back in office (no home working?) and there will be big Qs apparently - but when you try and find how you do that on site you just go round in circles .Bet if I wanted to give them money someone would miraculously appear .

May just settle for voucher meantime but have got another 2 flights to come over summer which will no doubt be cancelled also and could end up with 3 lots of vouchers with 12 months validity which may or may not be of use

How am I not shocked at this.

My balance is due to be paid this Sunday with Jet2, for our holiday in July.

I'm not paying it, because

1)  I don't want to go now, I can't take the risk.

2)  Even if I did pay it then it got cancelled, I'd likely receive a credit note instead of my money back.

So it's simplier to just keep the money in the bank, at least I know I've got the cash here, and if by some miracle there is a vaccine or something, I've got the cash to book something and leave pretty much within a week or two.

highlandjambo3
46 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Here is a story about Ryan air, I have not shared this with many people......

My daughter and granddaughter had planned to fly down to the Harry potter studio in March 2017, she booked the tickets in June 16.... my daughter was not very well and sadly she died in October 16.  After a few weeks it was my granddaughters decision that she still wanted to go to the Harry Potter studio and I would take her.  Ryan air refused to change the name on the ticket to my name unless I paid £250, I refused and booked new flights with easyJet.  I will NEVER forgive them for that and I hope they go bust (I know it’s not their employees fault) their owner is an absolute snake.

Because it was a difficult time, I didn’t have the stomach to take this to the papers.

56 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I still would have went with the refund as at least you would have got the money back.  Voucher with a 1 year date is nearly useless. You are stuck with that airline and I can’t see anything other than ridiculous prices when flights eventually resume. No doubt it is scare tactics to stop the airline handing cash out. 

7 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Here is a story about Ryan air, I have not shared this with many people......

My daughter and granddaughter had planned to fly down to the Harry potter studio in March 2017, she booked the tickets in June 16.... my daughter was not very well and sadly she died in October 16.  After a few weeks it was my granddaughters decision that she still wanted to go to the Harry Potter studio and I would take her.  Ryan air refused to change the name on the ticket to my name unless I paid £250, I refused and booked new flights with easyJet.  I will NEVER forgive them for that and I hope they go bust (I know it’s not their employees fault) their owner is an absolute snake.

Because it was a difficult time, I didn’t have the stomach to take this to the papers.

That's shocking man. I will never book with them again after reading this. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I still would have went with the refund as at least you would have got the money back.  Voucher with a 1 year date is nearly useless. You are stuck with that airline and I can’t see anything other than ridiculous prices when flights eventually resume. No doubt it is scare tactics to stop the airline handing cash out. 

Yeah I will keep trying to get them to respond 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

My Ryanair flight in May was cancelled Via an eMail from them last week  Went on their site and requested a refund which should come within 25 days...maybe. 🥴

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yeah I will keep trying to get them to respond 

That’s what I am doing. I was meant to be away last week, I’m due to be away last week of June and 2nd week of August. First two are jet2 and last one is Ryanair I’m certain they will try to run that flight. Pretty much accepted no holidays this year but a voucher isn’t acceptable. 

manaliveits105
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My Ryanair flight in May was cancelled Via an eMail from them last week  Went on their site and requested a refund which should come within 25 days...maybe. 🥴

thats what I did on 26th March and just got a voucher offer yesterday - although cash refund might be available its impossible to get answer what you need to do to get on the cash refund waiting list - I will try a straight forward email requesting but not hold my breath for a response