Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Will be watching airline prices like a hawk in the coming months.

There will be dirt cheap bargains to be had. Consumer is now king.

will be keeping an eye on Florida (fort Myers) for next year over the next few months 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hugh Phamism
3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Some airlines are using flight change facility with no fee. This policy enables them to keep your money, but increase the flight cost of the amended date of travel. The nearer your get to your departure date and you didn't opt for the flight change, authorities step in and ban travel to certain foreign destinations, this then forces the hand of the airlines, they then cancel, you get refunded.

United airlines flight 37 left EDI for Newark this morning as normal. I am booked on the same flight next Monday and can't get a refund until either UA or the government force them to cancel it. I will get a travel credit, but will UA be around long enough to use it??

Edit: Just noticed that Delta have cancelled the EDI to JFK flight from tomorrow.

Edited by Hugh Phamism

1 hour ago, Hugh Phamism said:

United airlines flight 37 left EDI for Newark this morning as normal. I am booked on the same flight next Monday and can't get a refund until either UA or the government force them to cancel it. I will get a travel credit, but will UA be around long enough to use it??

Edit: Just noticed that Delta have cancelled the EDI to JFK flight from tomorrow.

Stupid, stupid thing to type, but I hope your flight is cancelled. If it's a wedding he/she can wait.

Hugh Phamism
3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Stupid, stupid thing to type, but I hope your flight is cancelled. If it's a wedding he/she can wait.

Nah, it's business, and yes it can wait. At the end of the day it's company funds tied up in the airline so no biggie. 👍

Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential foreign travel for an initial period of 30 days. That should kick in refunds for flights in that time?

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential foreign travel for an initial period of 30 days. That should kick in refunds for flights in that time?

I doubt it.

It's only advice.

highlandjambo3

Looking to buy a car soon......... should I wait ?  (Not related to this thread but didn’t want to start a new one).

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, graygo said:

If the fco advises against travel then your insurance won't cover you if you still go ahead with travel.

Can't upset the insurance industry. 

They would actually have to pay out.

Can't have that. 

7 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Looking to buy a car soon......... should I wait ?  (Not related to this thread but didn’t want to start a new one).

Sales will be slow, possibly a good deal to be had.

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can't upset the insurance industry. 

They would actually have to pay out.

Can't have that. 

Sorry but that makes no sense.

It would suit the insurance industry more for the fco not to advise against travel and have people cancel through choice.

37 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

The way thngs are developing right now, buy a horse, transport then burgers potentially.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Sorry but that makes no sense.

It would suit the insurance industry more for the fco not to advise against travel and have people cancel through choice.

The point I'm making is if the government said you can't travel then the insurance company would have to pay out.

17 hours ago, ecjambo said:

Our Jet2 holiday is being refunded within next 28 days. Actually feel for them a bit, and some other airlines, and hope they don’t go under at the end of all of this.

Our Jet2 holiday to Lanzarote scheduled for yesterday was cancelled on Saturday. The full refund was in our account last night. 

Some holiday firms are excellent. Why can’t they all be like that?

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The point I'm making is if the government said you can't travel then the insurance company would have to pay out.

It would be very unusual for the government to say you can't travel, they usually just advise. Insurance companies have to pay out if the FCO advises against travel.

I still can't see your point. I get it you are saying that the government are siding with the insurance companies but can't see how they are.

1 hour ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Our Jet2 holiday to Lanzarote scheduled for yesterday was cancelled on Saturday. The full refund was in our account last night. 

Some holiday firms are excellent. Why can’t they all be like that?

Credit where it's due, the company will love this publicity.

Stuart Lyon

Son and his partner were due to fly with Ryanair to Budapest this Saturday - they got an email from the airline this afternoon telling them to apply for a refund. 

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I know not all policies will be the same, but the wording on mines (and my partners, hers is with a different company as well) says the advice just needs to be set to 'all but essential travel', no requirement for a blanket ban. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

I know not all policies will be the same, but the wording on mines (and my partners, hers is with a different company as well) says the advice just needs to be set to 'all but essential travel', no requirement for a blanket ban. 

As long as you’re happy with your cover.

30 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As long as you’re happy with your cover.

Yep, insurance already confirmed they will pay out if I can't get a refund from the airline (which should happen anyway), the updated advice allowed that to kick in, so many others will be the same now as well. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

Yep, insurance already confirmed they will pay out if I can't get a refund from the airline (which should happen anyway), the updated advice allowed that to kick in, so many others will be the same now as well. 

That’s good news.

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have my holiday booked in May to go to Turkey but hoping it is cancelled. I won't be going but listening to advice I am best to wait for jet 2 to cancel rather than anything else. 

Where are you due to fly to? The programme to Dalaman and Antalya was cancelled today until 30th April. Flights to Izmir and Bodrum unaffected at present with schedule operating as normal. 

Just wait. I was due to fly to Antalya on 6th April but now getting full refund soon. 

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Where are you due to fly to? The programme to Dalaman and Antalya was cancelled today until 30th April. Flights to Izmir and Bodrum unaffected at present with schedule operating as normal. 

Just wait. I was due to fly to Antalya on 6th April but now getting full refund soon. 

Izmir mate. Hope it gets cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm meant to be flying to Antalya on 10th May, pretty sure I'll not be going.

Gordon Ramsay
3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Son and his partner were due to fly with Ryanair to Budapest this Saturday - they got an email from the airline this afternoon telling them to apply for a refund. 

My gf and I were meant to be flying to Budapest tomorrow with Ryanair. Emailed us today with the offer of a refund. Probably get it in £2 instalments. 

1 minute ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

My gf and I were meant to be flying to Budapest tomorrow with Ryanair. Emailed us today with the offer of a refund. Probably get it in £2 instalments. 

Or carry on luggage vouchers.

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm meant to be flying to Antalya on 10th May, pretty sure I'll not be going.

I've not had the personal confirmation as yet but their webpage confirms it for me. Give it a few weeks and the date will get pushed out to cancel yours. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Izmir mate. Hope it gets cancelled. 

FCO pretty much advises against all international travel so an update will come in due course. 

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've not had the personal confirmation as yet but their webpage confirms it for me. Give it a few weeks and the date will get pushed out to cancel yours. 

I'm pretty certain that is what will happen.

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

The majority of sane human beings would take Ryanairs offer and run like ***k, not you though, you take the dour square route to negativity and invent the improbable...Typical.

Just wondering if anyone knows who pays for your accommodation if your flight home is delayed and you are stranded in resort. 

Will the hotel kick us out if we don't pay the extra ? 

I'm waiting for my tour operator to contact me. 

We are due back on Saturday flying with Ryanair but holiday booked as a package with Travel Republic. 

Jusk curious because there is a story in the press about an English couple booked to fly home from Tenerife today 

who have had their booking cancelled as the flight has been turned into a rescue flight. I know they will get home eventually but there is nothing in the article about their accommodation costs and if the are allowed to stay on in their hotel. They haven't as yet been given an alternative flight. 

7 hours ago, luckydug said:

Just wondering if anyone knows who pays for your accommodation if your flight home is delayed and you are stranded in resort. 

We are due back on Saturday flying with Ryanair but holiday booked as a package with Travel Republic. 

Jusk curious because there is a story in the press about an English couple booked to fly home from Tenerife today 

who have had their booking cancelled as the flight has been turned into a rescue flight. I know they will get home eventually but there is nothing in the article about their accommodation costs and if the are allowed to stay on in their hotel. They haven't as yet been given an alternative flight. 

The hotel might try to charge you, but they shouldn't if you are ATOL or ABTA (cannae mind which one it is) protected. It's basically the same as what happened when Thomas Cook went bust and all of a sudden folk in hotels were wrongly being demanded to hand over cash.

Gordon Ramsay
8 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The majority of sane human beings would take Ryanairs offer and run like ***k, not you though, you take the dour square route to negativity and invent the improbable...Typical.

I will take the money and it was clearly a joke. 

You are a really weird individual. I would wish you good luck in your possible self isolation but you probably don't have a life anyway. Seem to get your kicks following my posts on an internet forum. 

Shame. 

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

The hotel might try to charge you, but they shouldn't if you are ATOL or ABTA (cannae mind which one it is) protected. It's basically the same as what happened when Thomas Cook went bust and all of a sudden folk in hotels were wrongly being demanded to hand over cash.

Trouble is this hotel operates a no cash policy so they have everyone's card details. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Trouble is this hotel operates a no cash policy so they have everyone's card details. 

Contact your credit card people and cancel your credit card.

Just back from a long weekend on Skye, the place was dead and it was absolutely magic.  No chance of getting it round those parts.

Tourist season hasn't kicked off over there yet, but they're worried it's going to be very quiet as tourists can't fly into the UK to visit in the first place.

Hugh Phamism

A quick look at Flight Tracker just now shows several flights still running in/out of Edinburgh. Destinations and airlines are Ryanair, Easyjet and United to/from Malaga, Tenerife, Munich, Warsaw, Newark and so on.

https://www.edinburghairport.com/flights/flight-radar

BTW - My flight on United to Newark on Monday has finally been cancelled. No refund as yet.

My trip to Germany is as good as cancelled. Only way I will get money back is if Eurowings cancel my flights. 

Mistake a lot of people are making is cancelling off their own backs. As shite as it is, don't cancel. Let them cancel it.

A friend said she's seen murmurs that all UK airports will be closed for up to 3 months soon. No idea where she heard it though.

Cairneyhill Jambo
10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

A friend said she's seen murmurs that all UK airports will be closed for up to 3 months soon. No idea where she heard it though.

I wouldn't be surprised. Spain are closing all hotels from Monday indefinitely. 

11 hours ago, tian447 said:

Just back from a long weekend on Skye, the place was dead and it was absolutely magic.  No chance of getting it round those parts.

Tourist season hasn't kicked off over there yet, but they're worried it's going to be very quiet as tourists can't fly into the UK to visit in the first place.

15 cases in Shetland, so I wouldn't consider Skye untouchable. 

heartsfc_fan
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

A high number that given the population

Doctor FinnBarr
On 17/03/2020 at 23:33, luckydug said:

A few years back when the volcanic ash thing kicked off we were in Salou for my birthday in April. Hotel was quiet so they started giving folks with cancelled flights free full board, it was an AI hotel so those us us with wristbands just nipped up to the bar and got them drinks. As the week went on and more people were getting in they couldn't put up anymore so opened their sister hotel in Cap Salou 2 weeks early. Well done Villa Marina and Festival Village.

8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I wonder if that's due to people flying in to Shetland for work etc. and coming into contact with it at airports or on planes.  Quite a lot of people travel between Shetland and the Mainland that way. 

I think we interacted with a total of 5 people in 3 days on Skye, mostly kept to ourselves in self catering. 

highlandjambo3
21 hours ago, tian447 said:

I run a small guesthouse up north and decided to branch out and do tour guides.  I pick up my first group tomorrow for a run up the Applecross peninsular then around Torridon.....it’s a spectacular run 170mile loop.

The thing is, no one will want to sit in a coach with a load of strangers now so, small private tours will do well.  The public event things are shut like culloden battlefield, distillery tours etc but tbh......there are a huge number of scenic drives up here and, the thing about tourists from abroad, they will be replaced by tourists from down south who still want to go on holiday but be a wee bit isolated, private lodges, cottages, out of the way.  I’ve lost a few bookings but, I guarantee once the dust settles down people will be heading north.....

my place. www.alba-Inverness.co.uk

Anyone fancy a wee break and tour, give me a shout.

p.s. This is not meant to be an advert 😂 

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I run a small guesthouse up north and decided to branch out and do tour guides.  I pick up my first group tomorrow for a run up the Applecross peninsular then around Torridon.....it’s a spectacular run 170mile loop.

The thing is, no one will want to sit in a coach with a load of strangers now so, small private tours will do well.  The public event things are shut like culloden battlefield, distillery tours etc but tbh......there are a huge number of scenic drives up here and, the thing about tourists from abroad, they will be replaced by tourists from down south who still want to go on holiday but be a wee bit isolated, private lodges, cottages, out of the way.  I’ve lost a few bookings but, I guarantee once the dust settles down people will be heading north.....

Is it practiced in this country that before boarding a coach you have to use hand gel?

2 years ago touring the Canadian Rockies it was common practice doing this.

highlandjambo3
22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is it practiced in this country that before boarding a coach you have to use hand gel?

2 years ago touring the Canadian Rockies it was common practice doing this.

No......but it will be tomorrow 😃

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

No......but it will be tomorrow 😃

👍

It must be standard practice in Canada.

To be honest it was no big deal.

Whether it help or not I don’t know.

No one came down with any illness.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I know a bathroom fitting firm up your way should you be looking for one. 😄 😉