Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

The wife and me were supposed to fly off for a week to Cyprus yesterday but decided it wasn't worth the risk. The news was the country had closed schools and tourists were required to self isolate in the their hotels. Despite this Tui refused us a postponement or refund. Rotten attitude by them. I wonder how many people still travelled because no refund or  credit was available. Anyone else in a quandary about their hols.....?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heartsofgold

I'm due to fly to the States in 3 weeks.  With their travel ban for the rest of Europe this is now in jeopardy.  Spoken to BA and they would not refund but if it's a government imposed travel ban then our travel insurance cover will pay out.  No way will we be cancelling off our own backs as neither will refund the money if we cancel ourselves.

41 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I'm due to fly to the States in 3 weeks.  With their travel ban for the rest of Europe this is now in jeopardy.  Spoken to BA and they would not refund but if it's a government imposed travel ban then our travel insurance cover will pay out.  No way will we be cancelling off our own backs as neither will refund the money if we cancel ourselves.

Your healths's worth more than the money mate. Not to mention the health of those you come into contact with....!

Heartsofgold
Just now, Section Q said:

Your healths's worth more than the money mate. Not to mention the health of those you come into contact with....!

If I or any of my family display symptoms then we will get tested.  If positive then the travel insurance pays out as we will need to cancel for health reasons.

I've save for 2 years for this holiday and it's doubtful I will be able to rebook for another 2 due to other things we are needing/wanting to do.  This holiday is for health reasons.  I've not had a break for more than 3 years longer than 5 days and I'm burnt out.  If I'm allowed and able, I will be on that plane.

19 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

If I or any of my family display symptoms then we will get tested.  If positive then the travel insurance pays out as we will need to cancel for health reasons.

I've save for 2 years for this holiday and it's doubtful I will be able to rebook for another 2 due to other things we are needing/wanting to do.  This holiday is for health reasons.  I've not had a break for more than 3 years longer than 5 days and I'm burnt out.  If I'm allowed and able, I will be on that plane.

Good luck. Hope it all works out.....👍

jambos are go!
On 12/03/2020 at 11:37, Heartsofgold said:

Spent ages before I got through to BA this morning. Quite quickly they offered me a voucher lasting a year for the full amount to go anywhere. Should point that I am a pensioner with asthma but don't know if that was a factor.

What are the insurance companies are doing about folk advised to go into home quarantine just before the flight?

On 12/03/2020 at 10:09, Section Q said:

The wife and me were supposed to fly off for a week to Cyprus yesterday but decided it wasn't worth the risk. The news was the country had closed schools and tourists were required to self isolate in the their hotels. Despite this Tui refused us a postponement or refund. Rotten attitude by them. I wonder how many people still travelled because no refund or  credit was available. Anyone else in a quandary about their hols.....?

Pretty much written off my holiday in June. No point cancelling as I won't get any money back so might as well see how it all pans out.

The Internet

There will be plenty of folk with holidays booked who would rather take the risk than settle for chucking away hundreds or thousands of pounds. Just the world we live in. 

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Pretty much written off my holiday in June. No point cancelling as I won't get any money back so might as well see how it all pans out.

I think air travel will be cancelled by then and if so you should get a refund....👍

Here's a photo of cruise ship passengers returning today to the UK from the States.

25922910-8108315-image-m-2_1584090708688.jpg

I am going to Taipei in 6 weeks.  So far so good as the Taiwanese are on top of it all.  I would never cancel though, my concern is the flight being cancelled.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Cancelled my hotel booking in Cardiff(6nations trip) thru Booking.com, explained the reason I have a cold and bad time to travel and have got £420 back out of £462 for 90% refund it was due zero refund as I took the cheap booking discount.. well happy with this will add though I am a regular customer with Booking.com so may have helped.

49 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I think air travel will be cancelled by then and if so you should get a refund....👍

Here's a photo of cruise ship passengers returning today to the UK from the States.

Looks like only the old folk survived. 

A wee bit vague the hotel bit SQ. Was it self isolate within the hotel perimeter or hotel room? Couldn't handle the latter. Sorry you couldn't go.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Did you pay by credit card?

If so, they should support you through the refund process.

Debit card not so clear cut.

Edited by DETTY29

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, westbow said:

I see disneyworld and Universal are shut. Between that and cinemas being empty their incomes will be taking some hit!

All 12 Disney Parks are shut (6 locations some with more than one park)  Some closed in January. 

9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Thoughts and Prayers with all who have suffered holiday disruption.

There's not many of you about, thank's very much for your concern.

Pal of mine arrived in Benidorm today. Not heard from him but seemingly things are shutting down from midnight tonight. 
Hope it doesn’t affect his families holiday too much as they work hard to go away. 

They wouldn’t have went if it was refunded. 

CavySlaveJambo
57 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Was on the verge of booking travel to the US in May a couple of weeks ago but decided to wait until the end of this month to see how things went. So glad now that I held off.

I am due to go late August so keeping fingers and paws crossed! 

I’m due to go to Seville Tom morn. Seville seems to be the only ok part in Spain as they are in state of emergency and my worry is not getting home. I’m no keen on going but she wants to go

couldnt care about the lost money if we don’t go but she’s going in a right mood if we don’t go. Course if we go and can’t get back then it will be my fault 🙄🙄

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, theshed said:

I’m due to go to Seville Tom morn. Seville seems to be the only ok part in Spain as they are in state of emergency and my worry is not getting home. I’m no keen on going but she wants to go

couldnt care about the lost money if we don’t go but she’s going in a right mood if we don’t go. Course if we go and can’t get back then it will be my fault 🙄🙄

Women.

😟

Looking forward to Valencia & Turkey in May. 

Unless the flights are cancelled by Easyjet - I'll be going. Got to help the herd immunity that Johnson was talking about plus Id rather be quarantined somewhere warm in a nice hotel, than in the UK. 

3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Tell her you’ve got symptoms so she can go herself if she wants. Enjoy the peace and quiet. 

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Was on the verge of booking travel to the US in May a couple of weeks ago but decided to wait until the end of this month to see how things went. So glad now that I held off.

We booked this holiday in May last year.

CavySlaveJambo
27 minutes ago, theshed said:

Cases in almost all parts of Spain now and the whole country is on lockdown from Midnight tonight which means only food shops and pharmacies will be open. 

manaliveits105

most people. In Spain eat in bars and restaurants in holiday areas so shops are now being rammed with people panic buying due to this afternoons announcement  friends in costa Blanca say

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Section Q said:

I know I'll be accused of wearing a tin foil hat, but WTF is that all about in the context of what we've been told about CV19? There' is far more to this than we're being told. I can understand why, if that is true by the way

Psychedelicropcircle
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I am going to Taipei in 6 weeks.  So far so good as the Taiwanese are on top of it all.  I would never cancel though, my concern is the flight being cancelled.

Do they let miserable ***** in though.🤪

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Cases in almost all parts of Spain now and the whole country is on lockdown from Midnight tonight which means only food shops and pharmacies will be open. 

Have decided in last few minutes we ain’t going to Seville now and she’s opened up a bottle to drown her sorrows. 

She says we are going to Newcastle by train for a day out Tom instead 

So instead of drinking in Seville and having nice tapas in 25 degree heat I’m going to be drinking pints with the gordies 

5 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

There will be plenty of folk with holidays booked who would rather take the risk than settle for chucking away hundreds or thousands of pounds. Just the world we live in. 

So true, my pal who works security management at Edinburgh Airport just phoned....  Things looking dire there........

The USA figures will scare the sh*,t out  of folk when released over the weekend...   Baring in mind the hundreds of thousands travelling across the Atlantic this Summer..

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I think they have the most people per square mile. Might be wrong.

Салатные палочки

Just back from Gran Canaria and you wouldn't have known anything about Coronavirus. Business as usual, pubs, restaurants and beaches mobbed. First time it was mentioned was the flight home. 

Not a chance I was cancelling it after saving for a year. 

25 minutes ago, theshed said:

Have decided in last few minutes we ain’t going to Seville now and she’s opened up a bottle to drown her sorrows. 

So instead of drinking in Seville and having nice tapas in 25 degree heat I’m going to be drinking pints with the gordies 

Life is all about stories. I'm sure you'll make plenty with the geordies

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, theshed said:

Have fun.

4 hours ago, theshed said:

Going in 6 weeks time...….maybe !!

2 hours ago, hueyview said:

The USA figures will scare the sh*,t out  of folk when released over the weekend...   Baring in mind the hundreds of thousands travelling across the Atlantic this Summer..

Yeah quite a few American figures scare the sh*t out of me already. Not surprising though. It’s the diet. 

10 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Yeah quite a few American figures scare the sh*t out of me already. Not surprising though. It’s the diet. 

:)

Thatay well change after this virus....

jambostuart

Meant to be going to Portugal next Sunday as part of a package deal. Would imagine flights will be cancelled by then, in which case I would imagine I will get my money back, and if not I'll cancel but likely to lose my money in the latter scenario.

5 hours ago, The Brow said:

Unless the flights are cancelled by Easyjet - I'll be going. Got to help the herd immunity that Johnson was talking about plus Id rather be quarantined somewhere warm in a nice hotel, than in the UK. 

This is my thinking.  

4 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Meant to be going to Portugal next Sunday as part of a package deal. Would imagine flights will be cancelled by then, in which case I would imagine I will get my money back, and if not I'll cancel but likely to lose my money in the latter scenario.

What restrictions do the Portuguese government have in place? The virus is everywhere. Might as well be in sunnier climes.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Just back from Gran Canaria and you wouldn't have known anything about Coronavirus. Business as usual, pubs, restaurants and beaches mobbed. First time it was mentioned was the flight home. 

Not a chance I was cancelling it after saving for a year. 

Currently in Fuerteventura. 

Doesn't seem any different to the last time we were here. Warm weather shops open as normal and Hotel reasonably busy. 

Our problems may start when we try to fly home again. 

Will he British government let us back in again ? 🤔

jambostuart
1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What restrictions do the Portuguese government have in place? The virus is everywhere. Might as well be in sunnier climes.

So far closures of schools and bars etc. They've had relatively few cases and taking pre emptive measures. My fear is getting stuck over there if I'm honest. Things are changing rapidly and only getting worse at the moment.

So far closures of schools and bars etc. They've had relatively few cases and taking pre emptive measures. My fear is getting stuck over there if I'm honest. Things are changing rapidly and only getting worse at the moment.

If they’ve taken you there they will bring you back. While new flights to and from Italy have been cancelled the airlines are still bringing customers who flew out with them back to their original departure points.

It’s only a matter of time before the UK start closing schools, bars, etc. Might as well get some sun in meantime. I don’t mean to sound flippant, but your just as likely to get it her as anywhere else.

jambostuart
Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

If they’ve taken you there they will bring you back. While new flights to and from Italy have been cancelled the airlines are still bringing customers who flew out with them back to their original departure points.

It’s only a matter of time before the UK start closing schools, bars, etc. Might as well get some sun in meantime. I don’t mean to sound flippant, but your just as likely to get it her as anywhere else.

I don't think you sound flippant, and I agree. I'm just worrying over the return as I can't afford not to be in work.

However I'm more likely to isolate myself more on holiday too tbh as I usually just sit on my balcony with a couple of beers and chill out.

If I stayed here I'd be kicking my heels frustrated and bored and end up down the pub.

I don't think you sound flippant, and I agree. I'm just worrying over the return as I can't afford not to be in work.

However I'm more likely to isolate myself more on holiday too tbh as I usually just sit on my balcony with a couple of beers and chill out.

If I stayed here I'd be kicking my heels frustrated and bored and end up down the pub.

Where you’d likely catch the virus.

6 hours ago, The Brow said:

I'm booked (and paid) to go to Turkey in May as well, 2nd attempt after having to cancel in October last year as the mother in law passed away.

I'll be going unless someone tells me I can't, unfortunately that is what I think will happen.

Matthew Le Tissier

Not so far flung, but booked on LNER to head South to Isle of Wight for a few days in April. Can see all major travel being knocked on the head soon