Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Greece has already said no British tourists straightaway. 

anyway cancelled Disney today. Asked if I would rather postpone but with all the questions about the dining plan for 2021 around I cancelled until we have a better idea of the information.  Getting a refund within 2 weeks. 

there communication may not be that good at the moment but they are still doing the right thing for their guests. 

still need to sort out flights but got until 24 hrs before to cancel them because they are reward flights.

I've had 2 refunds from Disney now, on both occasions they said it would take up to 2 weeks but both times the money was back on my card within 3 days, even got amendment fees refunded as well, couldn't grumble with the service. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CavySlaveJambo
2 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

I've had 2 refunds from Disney now, on both occasions they said it would take up to 2 weeks but both times the money was back on my card within 3 days, even got amendment fees refunded as well, couldn't grumble with the service. 

I didn’t get my amendment fee refunded according to the invoice. 

2 hours ago, inspector said:

I was due to fly to Seville on the 8th of June with the return flights on the 11th with Easyjet. I received an email yesterday advising me that my flight was cancelled and giving me my options. I have chosen a refund. But my God they make it difficult by pushing the voucher option at every stage. 

This morning I received another email advising that the return flight was also cancelled. I had to go through the same rigmarole.  I would have thought that given my booking reference was identical, the first refund request would have been sufficient .

Hope you’re no in a hurry for your money as I’ve been waiting 6 weeks on mine 

I’m in no hurry but don’t know how it takes them so long 

10 minutes ago, theshed said:

Hope you’re no in a hurry for your money as I’ve been waiting 6 weeks on mine 

I’m in no hurry but don’t know how it takes them so long 

I'll wait. No problem. I'm pretty sure I'll get my full refund. It's the hotel I'm not too sure about after their last email asking for BIC code and IBAN numbers

Shanks said no
On 18/05/2020 at 14:40, The Frenchman Returns said:

Failed with TUI,

43 minutes on hold (total of 2hrs all told)

Tried to get flight changed, despite TUI no longer selling the Virgin flight I am booked on, as its been pulled. Asked to switch to the BA flight that they are selling and takes off an hour later. Could only do this if I paid a change to booking fee. Turned down that option, asked for a note to be added to my file that I was unhappy with the response. Felt for the girl as she was obviously having a nightmare but she kept giving the line "we haven't been informed by the airline that the flight has been cancelled" and "when we do hear we might switch to Heathrow"

Will sit on it and wait.

Not booking another holiday until some form of normality returns.

And to continue the tale............

Received 2 emails this afternoon from TUI whilst busy on the garden. Oh what a surprise!

We've been notified of a schedule change to your flights by the airline .

You will now be departing from and arriving into London Heathrow.

You do not need to contact us regarding this change, your booking will be updated and you will receive a new confirmation shortly. You can also view the new flight details on your manage booking.

So what I told them 11 days ago has come to pass. I have already booked Easyjet flights to Gatwick but my Virgin flights now leaves from Heathrow. I am pretty sure we cannot make the return flight back to Edinburgh. TUI are shut until Monday. Whatever I do now will cost me.

Can TUI just change a London airport?

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Received 2 emails this afternoon from TUI whilst busy on the garden. Oh what a surprise!

You do not need to contact us regarding this change, your booking will be updated and you will receive a new confirmation shortly. You can also view the new flight details on your manage booking.

So what I told them 11 days ago has come to pass. I have already booked Easyjet flights to Gatwick but my Virgin flights now leaves from Heathrow. I am pretty sure we cannot make the return flight back to Edinburgh. TUI are shut until Monday. Whatever I do now will cost me.

I would have thought that a change of airport consitutes a major change to the booking/holiday meaning you can cancel with a full refund, however you'd be out of pocket with the Easyjet flights, unless of course you can claim that money against Virgin as it is they who have changed the airport.

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I would have thought that a change of airport consitutes a major change to the booking/holiday meaning you can cancel with a full refund, however you'd be out of pocket with the Easyjet flights, unless of course you can claim that money against Virgin as it is they who have changed the airport.

Booked and paid for via TUI, only interaction with Virgin was to confirm seat selection and I was going to book their lounge.

TUI email gives me contact details 

If you do have any questions, please call 0800 107 1534. The line is open Monday to Friday 9am-7pm.

Yours sincerely,

Third Party Flying

Customer Advisors - Swansea

TUI Group

If I can get them to switch me onto the BA Gatwick flight I might be ok but having just checked the price its showing as £900 dearer for the pair of us (it was the same price when I booked but fancied a change from BA) . Easyjet don't fly to Heathrow or I would have taken the hit with them. 

Will see how my call goes on Monday.

I actually have one more holiday booked, yes with TUI, yes flying with a Third party airline but only from Manchester if that goes tits up too.

Not booking another.

I never learn. the Egyptian revolution kicked off, we were due on a Nile cruise, FCO said due to the curfew we wouldn't be able to get to Aswan. TUI said not according to their system, traveled to London and they called me whilst in Trafalgar Sq to tell me it was off. Mrs F says she had never seen me explode so spectacularly.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

some airlines are worse, it is someone like buzz or wow airlines (some pish like that) that change flights that mean rather than having say a long weekend in tallin. you get 6 hours there starting at midnight on the saturday night/sunday morning

Selkirk_Jambo
On 28/05/2020 at 19:48, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In a survey by Which, guess which airline was the worst for refunding people their money back?

Was it BA, nope.

Easyjet, no.

Jet2, not them.

KLM, not them either.

Who else could it be, I hear you ask.

Well, yous will all be shocked to learn it's.........(drum roll).....................RYANAIR.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/28/ryanair-worst-airline-for-flight-cancellation-refunds-finds-which-uk-customers-coronavirus

Strangely, we had the opposite problem with Ryanair. My missus (who works for Ryanair, incidentally) bought our tickets to Budapest back in January, subsequently cancelled in April. In between, she switched bank accounts, so when it came to asking for the refund, she specifically asked for the voucher. 

2 days ago, she gets an email from Ryanair saying that the refund is being processed and should be back in her account between 5-7 days. Of course, back to the old account :D  Everyone else has been demanding cash refunds and are only being offered vouchers, we wanted the vouchers and only seem to be able to get a cash refund. Gotta love Ryanair.

I don't mind Ryanair, generally. I have never experienced any issues with them and they get you where you are going. I certainly don't see them as a much worse option than Easyjet. Ryanair are cheaper and the service and experience are much of a muchness. 

Edited by Selkirk_Jambo

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Strangely, we had the opposite problem with Ryanair. My missus (who works for Ryanair, incidentally) bought our tickets to Budapest back in January, subsequently cancelled in April. In between, she switched bank accounts, so when it came to asking for the refund, she specifically asked for the voucher. 

2 days ago, she gets an email from Ryanair saying that the refund is being processed and should be back in her account between 5-7 days. Of course, back to the old account :D  Everyone else has been demanding cash refunds and are only being offered vouchers, we wanted the vouchers and only seem to be able to get a cash refund. Gotta love Ryanair.

I don't mind Ryanair, generally. I have never experienced any issues with them and they get you where you are going. I certainly don't see them as a much worse option than Easyjet. Ryanair are cheaper and the service and experience are much of a muchness. 

As per usual some folks don't have an issue, whilst others have heaps of problems, it's the way it goes.

Are you in Selkirk?  If so you're just a few miles away from me over Minch Moor.

Selkirk_Jambo
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As per usual some folks don't have an issue, whilst others have heaps of problems, it's the way it goes.

Are you in Selkirk?  If so you're just a few miles away from me over Minch Moor.

Yep. No doubt if I were to have a rough time with them, I would change my opinion. Some of the horror stories are nuts. That said, they're usually told from the side of the person complaining, so bit of exaggeration is to be expected.

I'm orginally from Selkirk but I live in Berlin now. You must be in Innerleithen or Walkerburn then? It's a beautiful stretch between those 2 and Selkirk. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

Yep. No doubt if I were to have a rough time with them, I would change my opinion. Some of the horror stories are nuts. That said, they're usually told from the side of the person complaining, so bit of exaggeration is to be expected.

I'm orginally from Selkirk but I live in Berlin now. You must be in Innerleithen or Walkerburn then? It's a beautiful stretch between those 2 and Selkirk. 

👍 and yes the whole area is lovely, especially when it's great weather as it is just now.

Carl Weathers

Ryanair are at it. We filled out online form 2 or 3 weeks ago requesting a refund only to get another email today trying to push us towards vouchers. The email goes onto say if we want a refund we need to click on another link which is basically a page all about the voucher and no instructions on how to get a refund. I believe we will have to speak to someone to get a refund which I assume will be impossible. 

I have two sets of refunds to calm from this shower.

Has anyone else experienced this and found out how to get a refund?

3 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Ryanair are at it. We filled out online form 2 or 3 weeks ago requesting a refund only to get another email today trying to push us towards vouchers. The email goes onto say if we want a refund we need to click on another link which is basically a page all about the voucher and no instructions on how to get a refund. I believe we will have to speak to someone to get a refund which I assume will be impossible. 

I have two sets of refunds to calm from this shower.

Has anyone else experienced this and found out how to get a refund?

Same happened to me. Filled in the form to request a cash refund. 2 weeks later got a voucher. 

I went onto their website and used the online chat thing. Only had a 5 minute wait and I am now successfully in the queue to get a proper refund, although it could take months.

Carl Weathers
21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Same happened to me. Filled in the form to request a cash refund. 2 weeks later got a voucher. 

I went onto their website and used the online chat thing. Only had a 5 minute wait and I am now successfully in the queue to get a proper refund, although it could take months.

That's good to hear you didn't have a long wait. My wife will try that tomorrow. cheers.

I have given up waiting for Lufthansa to refund me for a product they have not delivered as it is past the date I should have flown.  Although I understand airlines are in difficulty so are many people and anything over a month and after the date the service should have been provided is unacceptable.  It would not be ok from any other service.  I have therefore raised a complaint with my bank as I paid on credit card, will see how that goes but they were advising even that would take up to 45 days.

Shanks said no

Virgin preparing to relaunch

Come fly with us
Mark it in your calendars — we’ll be starting by flying to Orlando, New York JFK, Los Angeles, Shanghai and Hong Kong from 20th July 2020. We’re crossing off the days already.

Tomorrow I try again to get through to TUI. On Monday they closed their switchboard after I had been on hold for over 4 hours.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Come fly with us
Mark it in your calendars — we’ll be starting by flying to Orlando, New York JFK, Los Angeles, Shanghai and Hong Kong from 20th July 2020. We’re crossing off the days already.

Tomorrow I try again to get through to TUI. On Monday they closed their switchboard after I had been on hold for over 4 hours.

Is that Branson putting his hand in his pocket?

CostaJambo
12 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Come fly with us

YAAAASSSSSSSSS, due to fly on 18/07. TFFT.

Hugh Phamism
15 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Come fly with us

For anyone heading to Orlando.

Image may contain: text

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Certainly a higher risk approach than Most of Europe. 

Hugh Phamism
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Indeed. It's all about the economy!!

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Life is cheaper over there.

CavySlaveJambo
5 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Disney and Universal look like they will still reduce capacity at their restaurants. Especially Disney given the info from them last week. 

6 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Proof is in the pudding - we will see what happens. They might have it right, who knows.

Dagger Is Back
On 05/06/2020 at 10:12, CostaJambo said:

YAAAASSSSSSSSS, due to fly on 18/07. TFFT.

Can't believe I'm saying this given how much you'd be looking forward to going but that is great news for you and yours.

Samuel Camazzola
26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s my jet2 flights to Cyprus on 8/7 just cancelled. 

Their summer programme has been pushed back to 15th July for now. 

Were you flights only? 

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Their summer programme has been pushed back to 15th July for now. 

Were you flights only? 

Yes. As my wife is shielding I’m please they cancelled. 

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Bizarre times indeed, who would've thought that travellers are currently willing their flights to be cancelled?

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Bizarre times indeed, who would've thought that travellers are currently willing their flights to be cancelled?

Yip. 😄

I have just received a questionnaire from Easyjet asking me to comment on their cancellation procedures. I can be a keyboard warrior.......but only after I've received my refund.

35 minutes ago, inspector said:

I have just received a questionnaire from Easyjet asking me to comment on their cancellation procedures. I can be a keyboard warrior.......but only after I've received my refund.

Wimp...😁

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Ideal. Cyprus is pretty much accessible all year with a decent climate in the winter months so you'll get there whenever it suits you. 

CavySlaveJambo
8 hours ago, OBE said:

I am still waiting on being able to cancel my flights for August, hopefully by the end of the month. 

4 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I am still waiting on being able to cancel my flights for August, hopefully by the end of the month. 

Don't you cancel the flights! let the carrier do it...:thumbs_up:

We were due to be flying to new York tomorrow for a week, book via last minute.com.

They were brilliant to deal with, sent us an email last week with all of our options, obviously chose the full refund. I wont have any issues using them again now.

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

We were due to be flying to new York tomorrow for a week, book via last minute.com.

They were brilliant to deal with, sent us an email last week with all of our options, obviously chose the full refund. I wont have any issues using them again now.

Is the cash back in your bank?

mrmarkus1981

I had a week long UK break booked in a lovely cottage in Perthshire, near Kenmore.

Email after email, no reply. I emailed them for 1 last time yesterday saying that if they didn't reply, I would be letting Amex chase them for my deposit. Strangely enough they folded in an hour and emailed me.

They are still taking a £25 booking fee and £25 CANCELLATION fee. Arseholes

Unique-cottages.co.uk - AVOID

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I had a week long UK break booked in a lovely cottage in Perthshire, near Kenmore.

Email after email, no reply. I emailed them for 1 last time yesterday saying that if they didn't reply, I would be letting Amex chase them for my deposit. Strangely enough they folded in an hour and emailed me.

I think they may have been one of the firms that Martin Lewis' MSE had mentioned as a lot of customers were experiencing issues with them. 

Get your card company to issue a charge back for these fees. They have no right to apply a cancellation fee for something you didn't cancel and couldn't fulfill. The admin fee is a nonsense too as the 'admin' is on their part and not something you've initiated. 

mrmarkus1981
39 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think they may have been one of the firms that Martin Lewis' MSE had mentioned as a lot of customers were experiencing issues with them. 

Get your card company to issue a charge back for these fees. They have no right to apply a cancellation fee for something you didn't cancel and couldn't fulfill. The admin fee is a nonsense too as the 'admin' is on their part and not something you've initiated. 

They offered to move it but I didn't want to, so I 'cancelled' it!

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, OBE said:

Don't you cancel the flights! let the carrier do it...:thumbs_up:

For late August. One of the flights is domestic so that is the problem.  Should have just booked it as a straight through flight really. 

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I use homeaway.co.uk (formerly called owners direct).  You deal directly with the person that owns the property, admittedly there are now a few property chain businesses on there being managed by small companies now but, on the property page there is an “owners profile” tag so it’s easy to see who you are dealing with.  I’ve used them loads of times and been all over the world.

mrmarkus1981
17 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I use homeaway.co.uk (formerly called owners direct).  You deal directly with the person that owns the property, admittedly there are now a few property chain businesses on there being managed by small companies now but, on the property page there is an “owners profile” tag so it’s easy to see who you are dealing with.  I’ve used them loads of times and been all over the world.

Ive used them half a dozen times too, mostly abroad though. Not for UK breaks

finally got a response from Ryanair after supposedly being added to refund queue on 27th April, got told refund will be processed within a maximum of 10 weeks, from today!!!!

Section 75 claim now made via Credit Card

3 hours ago, OBE said:

Is the cash back in your bank?

We were told it will take a few weeks to get the cash. As we will be keeping the cash aside to possibly book again nest year, the wait doesn't bother me at all.