Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok, I may have read the Edinburgh / Glasgow bit wrong, they are increasing their flights into Inverness though.

Seemingly it can be a really busy flight from Gatwick to Inverness, Miss JJ has been on that flight a couple of times and she said everytime she's been on it, it's been busy, which did surprise her as she didn't think it would have been that popular a flight.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, CostaJambo said:

When were you meant to go? We are due to fly to USA with VA mid-July. Not sure where we will stand if we decide ourselves not to fly yet the flight does actually operate.

This is the email from VA. Doesn't help you if you're going after 12 July 

Hello,

You may have seen in the news that a lot of destinations we and our partners operate to have been affected by travel restrictions. Because of this, flight schedules are significantly reduced until 12 July 2020.

As a result, we’re sorry to let you know that your flight on 30 Jun 2020 has been cancelled.

We understand how much you would have been looking forward to your trip, so we’ve updated our rebooking policies to ensure you have the flexibility you need. To make things as easy as possible and provide you with immediate peace of mind, we will automatically keep your ticket open as credit for you to use for travel any time up to 30th September 2022, with no fee to change your booking. If you choose to travel on the same route up to 30th November 2020, we’ll also waive any potential fare differences. If you need to alter your travel plans, or would like someone else to benefit from your booking you can change the passenger names too.

There’s absolutely no rush to make a decision right now. We suggest you keep your booking reference as confirmation of your credit and when you’re ready to rebook, we’re here for you. Just let us know when and where you’d like to travel here, and our team will be back in touch to complete your booking.

With our customer centre teams working from home due to government regulations, with limited infrastructure and availability, our phone lines are very busy right now. The quickest way for us to get you rebooked is to let us know through the form on the website. For more details on the available options and any further questions, please check our latest up to date information here

We're very grateful for your patience and understanding right now, and are really looking forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

Until then, stay safe and stay well.

Corneel Koster
Chief Customer Officer | Virgin Atlantic

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seemingly it can be a really busy flight from Gatwick to Inverness, Miss JJ has been on that flight a couple of times and she said everytime she's been on it, it's been busy, which did surprise her as she didn't think it would have been that popular a flight.

Popular place 

CostaJambo
2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This is the email from VA. Doesn't help you if you're going after 12 July 

Hello,

You may have seen in the news that a lot of destinations we and our partners operate to have been affected by travel restrictions. Because of this, flight schedules are significantly reduced until 12 July 2020.

As a result, we’re sorry to let you know that your flight on 30 Jun 2020 has been cancelled.

We understand how much you would have been looking forward to your trip, so we’ve updated our rebooking policies to ensure you have the flexibility you need. To make things as easy as possible and provide you with immediate peace of mind, we will automatically keep your ticket open as credit for you to use for travel any time up to 30th September 2022, with no fee to change your booking. If you choose to travel on the same route up to 30th November 2020, we’ll also waive any potential fare differences. If you need to alter your travel plans, or would like someone else to benefit from your booking you can change the passenger names too.

There’s absolutely no rush to make a decision right now. We suggest you keep your booking reference as confirmation of your credit and when you’re ready to rebook, we’re here for you. Just let us know when and where you’d like to travel here, and our team will be back in touch to complete your booking.

With our customer centre teams working from home due to government regulations, with limited infrastructure and availability, our phone lines are very busy right now. The quickest way for us to get you rebooked is to let us know through the form on the website. For more details on the available options and any further questions, please check our latest up to date information here

We're very grateful for your patience and understanding right now, and are really looking forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

Until then, stay safe and stay well.

Corneel Koster
Chief Customer Officer | Virgin Atlantic

Cheers for that, we are due to fly out on 18 July, nae luck. Will just need to wait and see what happens after 12/07 but I expect all the airlines will be exerting the maximum pressure possible on their governments to get back to full schedules by then. Fortunately we had only booked flights and not got round to booking any accommodation by the time of the lockdown so it could've been worse. Would appreciate an update if you have any luck getting cash out of them rather than credit.

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Cheers for that, we are due to fly out on 18 July, nae luck. Will just need to wait and see what happens after 12/07 but I expect all the airlines will be exerting the maximum pressure possible on their governments to get back to full schedules by then. Fortunately we had only booked flights and not got round to booking any accommodation by the time of the lockdown so it could've been worse. Would appreciate an update if you have any luck getting cash out of them rather than credit.

You're welcome mate. The process for cash refunds is text or Whats App a mobile no, provide all your details and they'll call you back, whilst warning about short staffing etc etc

It's good that you only have the flights to worry about. We'd booked 5 hotels, a mix of non refundable and free cancellations. One of the non refundable ones has given us the opportunity of a free cancellation which we've jumped at. Only left with the one now to go the same way hopefully

Will share how I get on with VA with you and hopefully you'll be ready to roll when they email you 

Spoke to Ryanair about refunds for cancelled flights and they agreed but that they wouldn't be processed until after social distancing is lifted as their staff can't process them currently (load of nonsense obviously).

Credit card contacted and advised of the situation and the amounts were credited back. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Spoke to Ryanair about refunds for cancelled flights and they agreed but that they wouldn't be processed until after social distancing is lifted as their staff can't process them currently (load of nonsense obviously).

Credit card contacted and advised of the situation and the amounts were credited back. 👍

What a lot of bollocks from Ryanair.

Glad it was sorted.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a lot of bollocks from Ryanair.

Glad it was sorted.

Cheers. Lucky we booked on a credit card really.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

👏👍

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Must take two people to operate the computer, maybe one has dodgy eyesight.  :laugh:

Advantage of paying by credit card.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Cheers. Lucky we booked on a credit card really.

Good to hear this option is available. Lucky? What other method have you used in the past?

2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Good to hear this option is available. Lucky? What other method have you used in the past?

I've used debit card on numerous occasions when booking flights. It was actually my partner who booked these ones otherwise I'd probably have used debit card again 😂

28 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've used debit card on numerous occasions when booking flights. It was actually my partner who booked these ones otherwise I'd probably have used debit card again 😂

Did your partner use the chargeback facility on the credit card? Debit cards (Visa) offer this service also, so you were safe on both options...👍

Jambo-Jimbo

Probably been mentioned before but Easyjet are definitely planning on re-starting flights on the 15 June, most likely only UK internal flights to begin with and then overseas at sometime thereafter.

Dagger Is Back
On 25/05/2020 at 21:45, CostaJambo said:

That's VA replying now after collecting some booking info. The usual offering to re-book. with a new booking needing done by 30/9/22 subject to us having to pay any price refund

Full financial refunds are taking longer than normal and they're unable to confirm a time frame at present. 

I was under the impression that you'd actually get to speak to a person but it all seems to be via text or WA

I'll see what they say tomorrow and try to nail down a timescale. I'm aware of my legal rights and prepared to give them some leeway but not prepared for them to take the proverbial

8 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Did your partner use the chargeback facility on the credit card? Debit cards (Visa) offer this service also, so you were safe on both options...👍

Not quite, if you paid by credit card you have a legal right to get your money back from your card issuer as they are jointly liable along with the vendor. With a debit card you have no legal right to it, it's at the discretion of your bank although they generally refund you before reclaiming from the vendor's bank. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

5 hours ago, graygo said:

Not quite, if you paid by credit card you have a legal right to get your money back from your card issuer as they are jointly liable along with the vendor. With a debit card you have no legal right to it, it's at the discretion of your bank although they generally refund you before reclaiming from the vendor's bank. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

Thanks for adding the finer points, I'll take the "generally refund you" bit.

Ryanair voucher worked fine, just used it to book flights for next May.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Thanks for adding the finer points, I'll take the "generally refund you" bit.

I've used it to get my money back a couple of times with no issues.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I've used it to get my money back a couple of times with no issues.

It's really good to know all the options that are available to folk in these crazy, confusing times...forearmed and all that!

CavySlaveJambo
On 09/05/2020 at 00:08, CavySlaveJambo said:

Did you book through the Disney US site then? i am curious at to which hotel as well. 
But this may interest you given your first check in date. (And given Disney Springs not reopening for another couple of weeks) https://allears.net/2020/05/08/news-disney-world-now-only-accepting-reservations-for-july-1st-and-later/

Proposed dates of July 11th for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and  July 15th for Epcot and Hollywood Studios. 

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Proposed dates of July 11th for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and  July 15th for Epcot and Hollywood Studios. 

Just saw that. Means I get 2 year credit for my points rental, Yass. Unless they open the resorts on 29th June. No word on that yet.

Mad Dog Logan

Flight to Malaga on June 18th cancelled by Jet2 last Friday...

Refund in my account today....well chuffed...

Booking.com being dicks about apartment refund....well not chuffed.. 

Dagger Is Back

Cancelled BA flights on Monday. Full refund in yesterday.

👏

Virgin could learn a lesson or two 

CavySlaveJambo

I'm cancelling the visit to see Mickey and friends for this August.  Rebooking for Sept 2021. 

Just waiting on BA to let August fliers cancel their flights. Which hopefully will be soon. 

12 hours ago, westbow said:

Just saw that. Means I get 2 year credit for my points rental, Yass. Unless they open the resorts on 29th June. No word on that yet.

It looks like all DVC resorts are re-opening on 22nd June, not sure how that affects your voucher options. 

Shanks said no

Anyone considering the Caribbean and Antigua in particular, I just received this from the FCO

A State of Emergency is in place until 31 July. Under these measures:

• all persons must remain in their accommodation from 21:00 to 05:00 each day unless seeking urgent medical attention
  • face masks must be worn in any public place and must be worn for entry in to any supermarket or market
  • face masks must cover nose and mouth, leave eyes, forehead, and ears visible, and cannot be worn at the same time as head coverings or dark glasses
  • bars and nightclubs are closed
  • restaurants and meal vendors are allowed to operate delivery or take-out services only
  • retailers such as food and clothes shops, pharmacies, and hardware stores are allowed to operate between 05:00 and 21:00
  • public-facing government offices have restricted opening hours and visitors
  • beaches are open between 05:00 and 19:00 for exercise or relaxation only. During these hours picnics, music, drinking alcohol, and parties are prohibited. See Safety and Security – ‘Swimming’ for more information
  • no more than two people may travel in a motor vehicle at any one time. Face masks must be worn in motor vehicles when there is more than one occupant
  • people under the age of 18 may only leave their homes if they are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
  • people may undertake exercise in open fields, at the side of roads, and play golf or tennis between 05:00 and 21:00 each day. They may be accompanied by members of their household, or by one other person if they are not of their household. All must observe a distance of six feet and wear face masks
  • all social gatherings are prohibited. Churches are closed. Weddings, funerals, and baptism may take place but with no more than 25 participants all observing distances of six feet and wearing face masks

I am not going for a few months but doesn’t sound like fun at the moment 

Greece, Spain and Portugal all want their sand in our Brit cracks. How long before France succumbs to the pressure, with Beret in hand?

5 hours ago, jvm32 said:

It looks like all DVC resorts are re-opening on 22nd June, not sure how that affects your voucher options. 

It knackers them 😠. Looks like the insurance option then, no idea about that as flights deferred not cancelled. Imagine the insurance company will weasel out of it.

sprinbox98

I’m potentially off to Vegas on the first week in October. What do you think likelihood of this flu ahead would be? 

appreciate its still 4 months ago, but thought it would be interesting to gauge people’s views on this.

1 hour ago, sprinbox98 said:

I’m potentially off to Vegas on the first week in October. What do you think likelihood of this flu ahead would be? 

appreciate its still 4 months ago, but thought it would be interesting to gauge people’s views on this.

I am due to go to florida mid October and starting to feel more confident. Things are burning out quicker than I expected and I hope it may be a good time before any second wave comes in (if it does at all).  Just dont know what the flight or airport situation and experience may be.

Edited by connlach

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, OBE said:

Greece, Spain and Portugal all want their sand in our Brit cracks. How long before France succumbs to the pressure, with Beret in hand?

Good for them.

5 hours ago, westbow said:

It knackers them 😠. Looks like the insurance option then, no idea about that as flights deferred not cancelled. Imagine the insurance company will weasel out of it.

That's rubbish. I had been thinking about renting some points this year as well, but in the end decided to leave it for a layer trip, puts me off the whole process now though. 

4 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

I'm meant to be going the second week of October, can't see it personally but who knows, as you say still 4 months away. 

23 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

That's rubbish. I had been thinking about renting some points this year as well, but in the end decided to leave it for a layer trip, puts me off the whole process now though. 

You can take out the dvc renters insurance which pays out for “any reason” But a) it’s expensive b) I don’t trust insurance policies 

Jambo-Jimbo

Now that Easyjet are the latest airline to announce significant job cuts of up to 30% of it's workforce, operating less planes (50 less) and cutting some routes, I just hope people realise that imo the days of cheap flights are coming to an end, I hope I'm wrong as I, like everyone else have taken advantage of cheap flights over the last few years.

Going forwards, I just can't see flights being as cheap as they have been over the last few years, I also can see that there will be less direct flights from the likes of Edinburgh and folks will have to fly via Gatwick/Heathrow/Paris/Amsterdam for some routes/destinations.

Only a couple of days ago Miss JJ got an email informing her that they were resuming flights on the 15 June, she wakes up this morning to find out in the media that she might not have a job by then.

1 hour ago, westbow said:

You can take out the dvc renters insurance which pays out for “any reason” But a) it’s expensive b) I don’t trust insurance policies 

From what I've read it doesn't sound like many people have had much success claiming on those types of insurance policies. It's probably something I'll look at again in a couple of years, but in the mean time I think I'll just continue to book direct if wanting to stay on site. 

Edited by jvm32

Jambo-Jimbo

In a survey by Which, guess which airline was the worst for refunding people their money back?

Was it BA, nope.

Easyjet, no.

Jet2, not them.

KLM, not them either.

Who else could it be, I hear you ask.

Well, yous will all be shocked to learn it's.........(drum roll).....................RYANAIR.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/28/ryanair-worst-airline-for-flight-cancellation-refunds-finds-which-uk-customers-coronavirus

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

7 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

Im booked for there and San Francisco in middle of September. 

A few weeks ago I thought no chance but now I’m thinking things might be open 

I applied for a refund with EasyJet for a holiday 5 weeks ago and never heard a thing yet 

Dagger Is Back
On 25/05/2020 at 21:45, CostaJambo said:

VA confirmed today that full refunds will be given but still no timescale. We'd also part used air miles so they will be recredited too

The process is not great though. You don't get to speak to a person as such it's all via text and WA and there is quite a lag between conversations. My advice? Just send a text or WA and don't be tempted to use both mediums. Be patient. They won't give you a refund timescale. Think I'll give them a month, then chase them and depending on their response, I'll consider a credit card claim if needs be

I've no idea what they'd be like processing a re-booking sorry

CostaJambo
24 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

VA confirmed today that full refunds will be given but still no timescale. We'd also part used air miles so they will be recredited too

The process is not great though. You don't get to speak to a person as such it's all via text and WA and there is quite a lag between conversations. My advice? Just send a text or WA and don't be tempted to use both mediums. Be patient. They won't give you a refund timescale. Think I'll give them a month, then chase them and depending on their response, I'll consider a credit card claim if needs be

I've no idea what they'd be like processing a re-booking sorry

Thanks for all the advice mate. I guess in our case it will only apply if they extend the no-fly date past 12/07 since we are due to fly after that, not sure we will even be able to postpone and get a credit on a later flight. 

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In a survey by Which, guess which airline was the worst for refunding people their money back?

Was it BA, nope.

Easyjet, no.

Jet2, not them.

KLM, not them either.

Who else could it be, I hear you ask.

Well, yous will all be shocked to learn it's.........(drum roll).....................RYANAIR.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/28/ryanair-worst-airline-for-flight-cancellation-refunds-finds-which-uk-customers-coronavirus

Ok, Ryanair are the worst but, have any of the other carriers fulfilled their legal obligations and refunded clients within the stipulated 7 days of cancellation? Nooooooooooooo!

Read Ryanairs small print, get savvy and tough out 3 hours in the cheap seats. Spend the savings in quality restaurants & upgraded digs when you get there...:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, OBE said:

Ok, Ryanair are the worst but, have any of the other carriers fulfilled their legal obligations and refunded clients within the stipulated 7 days of cancellation? Nooooooooooooo!

Read Ryanairs small print, get savvy and tough out 3 hours in the cheap seats. Spend the savings in quality restaurants & upgraded digs when you get there...:thumbsup:

Most of the others are quite fair though and you sense they're working with their customers to make the best of a bad situation even if missing the 7 day period. Ryanair just don't give a shit. They told us they won't refund until after social distancing ends, that's an indefinite period and completely unacceptable as a response. My girlfriend thinks like you hence why we had flights with them, left to me I'd always pay to go easyJet wherever possible when booking short flights. The small saving just isn't worth using Ryanair.

Dagger Is Back
11 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Thanks for all the advice mate. I guess in our case it will only apply if they extend the no-fly date past 12/07 since we are due to fly after that, not sure we will even be able to postpone and get a credit on a later flight. 

Yeah. Hopefully you’ll get come clarification soon. 

Good luck

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Most of the others are quite fair though and you sense they're working with their customers to make the best of a bad situation even if missing the 7 day period. Ryanair just don't give a shit. They told us they won't refund until after social distancing ends, that's an indefinite period and completely unacceptable as a response. My girlfriend thinks like you hence why we had flights with them, left to me I'd always pay to go easyJet wherever possible when booking short flights. The small saving just isn't worth using Ryanair.

Compaired to EJ, Ryanair are £620 cheaper for a group of 6 golfers travelling to Alicante next May, we like these large savings. Used the voucher that was issued for this weeks cancelled golf trip. We have our flights, Ryanair remains in business.

3 minutes ago, OBE said:

Compaired to EJ, Ryanair are £620 cheaper for a group of 6 golfers travelling to Alicante next May, we like these large savings. Used the voucher that was issued for this weeks cancelled golf trip. We have our flights, Ryanair remains in business.

To each their own and for a long weekend I wouldn't rule it out entirely but I'd rather pay 100 quid more and not fly with them for a week's holiday for example. That's about 14 quid a day (night) which isn't going to make much difference to the quality of your accommodation. I also try to avoid supporting businesses that shaft their customers and staff wherever they can.

I was due to fly to Seville on the 8th of June with the return flights on the 11th with Easyjet. I received an email yesterday advising me that my flight was cancelled and giving me my options. I have chosen a refund. But my God they make it difficult by pushing the voucher option at every stage. 

This morning I received another email advising that the return flight was also cancelled. I had to go through the same rigmarole.  I would have thought that given my booking reference was identical, the first refund request would have been sufficient .

CavySlaveJambo
On 28/05/2020 at 10:09, OBE said:

Greece has already said no British tourists straightaway. 

anyway cancelled Disney today. Asked if I would rather postpone but with all the questions about the dining plan for 2021 around I cancelled until we have a better idea of the information.  Getting a refund within 2 weeks. 

there communication may not be that good at the moment but they are still doing the right thing for their guests. 

still need to sort out flights but got until 24 hrs before to cancel them because they are reward flights.

Edited by CavySlaveJambo