Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

We have a villa booked for Cyprus in July but currently a two week quarantine to get in after flying there. So unless that changes...

Will depend on how desperate they are for your Drachmas...In it's day, must've been the best named currency.

My first Ouzo in Benitses would've been the equivalent of 10 pence, even if that!...What a ***kin mess we got ourselves in, but everyone was in the same happy mess.

Was in Greece, Crete, Stalis last year, shouldn,t have left it so long, really nice people.

Good luck with the villa.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

15th June for general tourism, 1st of July for international flights including the UK going into the islands

Scotland will probably still have the stay at home message by then 

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

15th June for general tourism, 1st of July for international flights including the UK going into the islands

We may still be waiting to sit on park benches by then. 

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I was booked on the Edinburgh - Athens flight on the 13th June, Easyjet still have it on their website although saying sold out, and booked on the ferry to the islands on 14th. Cancelled now but looks like I missed it by a day........ might have been able to stay another night in Athens......

If the Edinburgh - Athens flight does go I will be sick and I ain't telling Mrs F

20 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I was booked on the Edinburgh - Athens flight on the 13th June, Easyjet still have it on their website although saying sold out, and booked on the ferry to the islands on 14th. Cancelled now but looks like I missed it by a day........ might have been able to stay another night in Athens......

If the Edinburgh - Athens flight does go I will be sick and I ain't telling Mrs F

It said 1st July in the post you replied to, 15th June is for Greeks holidaying domestically.

Edit; and for people arriving by car from surrounding countries, there'll be no flights till 2st July.

Edited by graygo

Shanks said no
Just now, graygo said:

It said 1st July in the post you replied to, 15th June is for Greeks holidaying domestically.

Flights to the islands are 1st July, less clear about Athens. Year round hotels that are available in Athens begin to open 1st June, maybe just for Greeks.

Advice from the ferry operator on Monday this week was 

Kindly be informed that due to the COVID-19 pandemic our company amends its cancellation policy. Due to the special circumstances of the pandemic, governments throughout the world have suspended all flights or applied travel restrictions to certain people, nationalities, and/or countries recently visited. Greece has announced a temporary restriction in passenger and ferry services

These emergency measures but also the uncertainty to travel during these unprecedented times, has led to many cancellations.

Hence why I wasn't taking the chance and cancelled. 

Update.

Jet 2 refunding all bar 240 which was 60pp.

So decent from them .

Used them a lot over the years good company .

27 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Flights to the islands are 1st July, less clear about Athens. Year round hotels that are available in Athens begin to open 1st June, maybe just for Greeks.

Advice from the ferry operator on Monday this week was 

Kindly be informed that due to the COVID-19 pandemic our company amends its cancellation policy. Due to the special circumstances of the pandemic, governments throughout the world have suspended all flights or applied travel restrictions to certain people, nationalities, and/or countries recently visited. Greece has announced a temporary restriction in passenger and ferry services

These emergency measures but also the uncertainty to travel during these unprecedented times, has led to many cancellations.

Hence why I wasn't taking the chance and cancelled. 

I don't think you would have been going anyway.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-20/greece-to-allow-international-flights-to-tourist-destinations-from-july-1/

8 hours ago, jake said:

Update.

Jet 2 refunding all bar 240 which was 60pp.

So decent from them .

Used them a lot over the years good company .

Why aren't they giving you a full refund? I've just had confirmation that they have refunded every penny

On 20/05/2020 at 09:15, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Been thinking this as well, sure you can go aboad on holiday but what sort of enjoyment is it going to be with all the inevitable restrictions which will have to be put in place. 

Just one example, the hotel pool, there will have to be social distancing in place, so at least 50% less sunbeds, hard enough getting a sunbed at times as it was, so good luck with that one, and the pool, social distancing in the pool as well, and would you really want to be going in the pool and swimming in the same water as dozens of other people.  Sure there will probably be plenty of chlorine in the pool to kill the virus, but that's not going to do your skin much good.

It's not just how safe it'll be to travel, it's the overall enjoyment of the trip that I think will be severely impacted, certainly this year for sure.

Agree. Was talking about this earlier in the week. If people want to go it’s their choice but the holiday will be extremely streamlined. In essence, is that a holiday?

Im not sure how upfront travel agents will be with prior info at they try to make money? Some people will let it slip in their minds and book up.  Some will go for it just to get away. 

Not for me though.  

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Why aren't they giving you a full refund? I've just had confirmation that they have refunded every penny

Jet2 will refund 100% unless you cancel the holiday before they cancel it, then you have broken the contract and will lose your deposit.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree. Was talking about this earlier in the week. If people want to go it’s their choice but the holiday will be extremely streamlined. In essence, is that a holiday?

Im not sure how upfront travel agents will be with prior info at they try to make money? Some people will let it slip in their minds and book up.  Some will go for it just to get away. 

Not for me though.  

We took the view fairly early on, that there would most likely have to be social distancing, limited numbers allowed into restaurants/bars/museums/sites/day trips etc etc etc, simply no large gatherings of people, and we decided that those kind of limitations were not for either of us, so no foreign holidays for us this year, I will keep a close eye on events and as time goes on hopefully things will become more acceptable to us.

In the meantime there are plenty of places in the UK which we can go and visit, it'll be day trips and 2 or 3 days here and there, probably for the next year or two.

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

I cancelled late last month.

They still took the balance which was due weeks later.

I was late july.

I cancelled thinking they wouldn't take the remaining balance.

Got one eye on the finances due to circumstances just now.

Although I doubt the holiday will go ahead given work backlog possible isolation after holiday I decided just in case to cut my losses.

The Real Maroonblood

Just received an email from Easy Jet telling me that my details have been accessed 

My email address and destination.

Fortunately no credit card details have been accessed 

They’re sorry.😩

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, MES said:

Same here from Easyjet 

Is your credit card and passport details okay?

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, MES said:

So they say. Just trip details accessed 

Same here.

I hadn’t got round to putting passport details as my trip isn’t until September.

I received the email from Easyjet this morning as well. Stated that , like others my travel details had been accessed but not credit card or passport details. 2 days ago, I received an email from the hotel we were supposed to staying in Seville stating that if I wanted a refund I could have one if I supplied my IBAN number and the BIC code. I haven't passed them asking instead that they just credit my credit card when they can access their POS .Given the Easyjet email, I'm not sure if the message from the hotel is genuine

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, inspector said:

I received the email from Easyjet this morning as well. Stated that , like others my travel details had been accessed but not credit card or passport details. 2 days ago, I received an email from the hotel we were supposed to staying in Seville stating that if I wanted a refund I could have one if I supplied my IBAN number and the BIC code. I haven't passed them asking instead that they just credit my credit card when they can access their POS .Given the Easyjet email, I'm not sure if the message from the hotel is genuine

The hotel is an awkward one.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

3 minutes ago, inspector said:

how did you book the hotel? did you get your flights and hotel through easyjet? if so i would be skeptical

30 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

how did you book the hotel? did you get your flights and hotel through easyjet? if so i would be skeptical

Yes. Booking.com in conjunction with Easyjet.

Spanish president apparently on TV just now announcing that they will lift travel restrictions in July.

Money talks.

davemclaren

All going to get interesting in July if airlines start flying despite quarantine regulations at both ends. Especially so if govt lifts the guidance to avoid all but essential travel meaning you can’t claim for your flight from the airline or your travel insurance. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

All going to get interesting in July if airlines start flying despite quarantine regulations at both ends. Especially so if govt lifts the guidance to avoid all but essential travel meaning you can’t claim for your flight from the airline or your travel insurance. 

A farce.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Early April, today's flight Murcia golf holiday :34: and late July, all 3 cancelled by Ryanair. Flights either side of our travel date in July are still scheduled, this must be a real concern for these travellers. Tourism is the largest industry in the world. Their lack of information, direction and general customer care throughout this ongoing crisis has been absolutely criminal.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Two week quarantine at holiday destination, the same on return, can't see many being persuaded.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Will probably happen Dave, the government's way of helping the airlines out without any cost to themselves. Helping out the insurance companies as well.

Edited by graygo

45 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s in the airlines interests to start running the routes, If easiest way to avoid refund and they will believe they will be able to convince some people to go. Lockdown restrictions are easing by the day across Europe and that is, hopefully, only going to continue. 

Personally think we will see Air Bridges happening and travel reopening around EUrope. Tourism/Aviation are so important governments will enable it.

I personally would be in favour of foreign travel re-opening for a variety of reasons. Not least fact I need a holiday to recover from lockdown 

Think places will see tourism return sooner than most think.

I've not completely given up hope for my sojourn to Poland in August yet.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've not completely given up hope for my sojourn to Poland in August yet.

If your one goes ahead I’m hopeful my one will go ahead in September to Germany.

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Will probably happen Dave, the government's way of helping the airlines out without any cost to themselves. Helping out the insurance companies as well.

If it does happen it will be hard not to conclude that it’s a deliberate action by the government. 

highlandjambo3

Highland news today saying that up to 50% of people in Scotland want to head up north at some point to holiday this year (no source quoted) and, easyJet putting extra flights from Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness mid June.  Private holiday lets and cardigan parks the first to pick up followed by hotels/guesthouses if they can provide evidence they can social distance. 👍

CavySlaveJambo
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Yet in March before the blanket advice, the advice was if you went to a destination that either was in lockdown or you had to quarantine was against all but essential travel to those countries.  

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, graygo said:

I said that to my wife a couple of weeks ago. Thought requests for bail outs had gone a bit quiet

highlandjambo3
18 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Highland news today saying that up to 50% of people in Scotland want to head up north at some point to holiday this year (no source quoted) and, easyJet putting extra flights from Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness mid June.  Private holiday lets and cardigan parks the first to pick up followed by hotels/guesthouses if they can provide evidence they can social distance. 👍

😂😂 cardigan parks..... autocorrect is brutal........ should say caravan  

41 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

😂😂 cardigan parks..... autocorrect is brutal........ should say caravan  

I thought it was a company with numerous sites.

Dagger Is Back

I'd have to say that so far, touchwood, the cancellation and refund process has been fine

J2 refunded flight costs for five of us within 2 weeks

BA are refunding flights within 3 weeks

California and UK hotels booked through booking.com have given us free cancellations even when it was a non refundable bookings we made

VA are making it difficult to get anything other than re-booking or vouchers

Pretty pleased to be honest as I was expecting a battle. One San Francisco hotel and VA to go

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I didn't realise that EasyJet were flying to/from Inverness. 👍 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I didn't realise that EasyJet were flying to/from Inverness. 👍 

According to their website, Easyjet only fly to Inverness from Gatwick, Luton & Bristol and I can't find anything in the media or their schedule saying that Easyjet are to start flying from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Inverness.

highlandjambo3
29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

According to their website, Easyjet only fly to Inverness from Gatwick, Luton & Bristol and I can't find anything in the media or their schedule saying that Easyjet are to start flying from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Inverness.

Ok, I may have read the Edinburgh / Glasgow bit wrong, they are increasing their flights into Inverness though.

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok, I may have read the Edinburgh / Glasgow bit wrong, they are increasing their flights into Inverness though.

Did they take on the FlyBe route? 

32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

they do have a route from edinburgh to inverness, you have to change at luton/gatwick

CostaJambo
3 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I'd have to say that so far, touchwood, the cancellation and refund process has been fine

J2 refunded flight costs for five of us within 2 weeks

BA are refunding flights within 3 weeks

California and UK hotels booked through booking.com have given us free cancellations even when it was a non refundable bookings we made

VA are making it difficult to get anything other than re-booking or vouchers

Pretty pleased to be honest as I was expecting a battle. One San Francisco hotel and VA to go

When were you meant to go? We are due to fly to USA with VA mid-July. Not sure where we will stand if we decide ourselves not to fly yet the flight does actually operate.

Could that professor who was fired not just say he was testing his penis to ensure it still worked?

Haha wrong thread... just

Edited by Jeff

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

When were you meant to go? We are due to fly to USA with VA mid-July. Not sure where we will stand if we decide ourselves not to fly yet the flight does actually operate.

I would imagine if the flight goes and you're not on it you'll lose your money. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Could that professor who was fired not just say he was testing his penis to ensure it still worked?

Haha wrong thread... just

:lol:

Dagger Is Back
19 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Flying in to San Francisco and then flying back from LA. Only got the email to say the first flight on 30 June is cancelled, no mention of the second one, which was due on 17 July. My understanding was that if the flight is on and you don't fly, VA have no liability. If the FO travel advice doesn't change then I'd assume you'd be claiming on your travel insurance? 

We didn't feel comfortable going even though it's 2 months away. I don't think any of us would have relaxed.

Our plan was to hope that VA cancelled which they have. If they didn't then we were hoping FO advice would stay to allow us to claim on travel insurance. If they changed the FO advice, then we were goosed and would have taken the sizeable hit

It's not what you want to hear I'm sure.

Hope you get it sorted out OK