Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Салатные палочки

All Jet2 Spain/Canaries flights turning back. 

Screenshot_20200314-092020.thumb.jpg.009185c8d1deb239466ccb3513ba3e75.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Jet2 are suspending flights to Cyprus as well. 

3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Planes will soon be flying down empty to bring folk home.

Due to go to Costa del Sol at the end of the month with Jet2 which is obviously not happening now. Just waiting to hear from them.

Can see so many airlines struggling on the back of this, as well as many small/medium sized businesses. 

I P Knightley

Don't cancel anything unless the government issue advice that you shouldn't travel. If it's your choice, you have no chance of refunds as there is no insurance for the travel firms.

Booked to go to Coral Bay ( Cyprus) late April with Jet 2 , canny see that happening,  will contact them on Monday for an update....😫😫

5 minutes ago, ecjambo said:

Due to go to Costa del Sol at the end of the month with Jet2 which is obviously not happening now. Just waiting to hear from them.

Can see so many airlines struggling on the back of this, as well as many small/medium sized businesses. 

Jet2's cancellations are for two weeks, but would you want to go after the restrictions?

8 minutes ago, micole said:

Booked to go to Coral Bay ( Cyprus) late April with Jet 2 , canny see that happening,  will contact them on Monday for an update....😫😫

They'll contact you bud, customer services are inundated.

CavySlaveJambo

I am waiting to see if I can get home tomorrow, which also means being able to get to ALC from where I am. Or whether it would Mean returning to the UK elsewhere and then on to Edinburgh. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Day by day I've become used to the fact that our holiday to Lanzarote in the summer is on ever shaky ground, Jet2's announcement today is probably one of the final nails in it.

I am fortunate in that our final balance isn't due until the end of April, so I have time to wait and see what happens, if all travel isn't cancelled by then and if we cancel off our own backs, and we lose our deposit, then so be it.

My own personal feeling is, based on the way things are going, that all travel of any kind is soon going to become hugely restricted if not cancelled altogether.

Looking awfully like it's going to be the Costa del Back Garden for our holidays this year.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Day by day I've become used to the fact that our holiday to Lanzarote in the summer is on ever shaky ground, Jet2's announcement today is probably one of the final nails in it.

I am fortunate in that our final balance isn't due until the end of April, so I have time to wait and see what happens, if all travel isn't cancelled by then and if we cancel off our own backs, and we lose our deposit, then so be it.

My own personal feeling is, based on the way things are going, that all travel of any kind is soon going to become hugely restricted if not cancelled altogether.

Looking awfully like it's going to be the Costa del Back Garden for our holidays this year.

Once everywhere has mass infection there will be no point in travel restrictions. 

Салатные палочки
3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Planes will soon be flying down empty to bring folk home.

The Glasgow to Las Palmas and Lanzarote flew down empty this morning. 

Samuel Camazzola

Turkey for me in three weeks. Jet2 are basing their decisions on FCO advice and at present, they are still operating a full program to there. 

Turkey have already  put blockers on flights from Germany and Scandinavian countries, so with the increase in UK cases today, just anticipating the cancellation being confirmed soon. 

16 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The Glasgow to Las Palmas and Lanzarote flew down empty this morning. 

You just made it back in time, what lottery numbers you picking?

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

You just made it back in time, what lottery numbers you picking?

Our holiday was literally sandwiched between the sandstorm and the lockdown. 

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Don't cancel anything unless the government issue advice that you shouldn't travel. If it's your choice, you have no chance of refunds as there is no insurance for the travel firms.

This appears to be the best advice for now.

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Our holiday was literally sandwiched between the sandstorm and the lockdown. 

I got home 3  days before the sandstorm. It's the best weather we've ever had in the Canaries in February.

I usually moan about bas luck etc but we were lucky this year

7 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Jet2's cancellations are for two weeks, but would you want to go after the restrictions?

At the moment, I’m really not sure. Part of me is like, I’m as likely to catch it here as I am there. What I don’t want to do is go then get stuck out there, or be in isolation when I get back. The wife is pregnant so it’s on her to decide.

Ideally the restrictions to Spain get extended and we get our money back or can rearrange. Although losing out on money is a secondary thought to our health. 

Shanks said no

We were due to go to India in a couple of weeks, lost the holiday when Thomas Cook went bust, got money back. 

Did laugh earlier in the week when India closed its borders as we wouldn’t have got there anyway.

subsequently we booked Malta for a week and are now waiting for the Jet2 refund.

Will just stay at home for now and book something for next spring with the cash.

Unknown user
On 12/03/2020 at 10:09, Section Q said:

The wife and me were supposed to fly off for a week to Cyprus yesterday but decided it wasn't worth the risk. The news was the country had closed schools and tourists were required to self isolate in the their hotels. Despite this Tui refused us a postponement or refund. Rotten attitude by them. I wonder how many people still travelled because no refund or  credit was available. Anyone else in a quandary about their hols.....?

Our wee cousin had a holiday in Boston planned with his man, they were meant to leave next weekend but they've changed plans and are leaving today to beat the lockdown. 

I cant believe they're planning to get locked in the US, ****ing stupid if you ask me.

Jambo-Jimbo

My wife has an Aunt & a couple of cousins currently on holiday in Tenerife, they were due to fly home tomorrow, not heard from them so not sure whether that's still the case, they booked the flights with Jet2 but the hotel seperately.

Daughter is supposed to be flying to Valencia tomorrow, the flight is still on as far as she's been told, but Easyjet have said things can change, they'll let her know later today, whether it's a normal flight or if they are going down empty to bring people back to the UK.

It really is a fluid situation, things are virtually changing by the hour.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Easyjet have suspended all flights to Spain. 

As of an hour ago her flight was still on, she's cabin crew, so whilst the flight for outbound passengers may well have been suspended, the flight will still go down to Valencia empty to pick up passengers to bring them back to the UK, a so called rescue flight.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t want to sound rude about a family member buts that’s ****ing mental on a number of levels. They would have got a full refund if they were insured, I would have imagined, that will now disappear as they will be turned away at US border imo. 

If by some miracle they get in as you will say they will be locked in. The US health system is not ome I would want to rely on in case of emergency. 

I have witnessed the mentality of ignoring all logic because people want something to happens a lot recently but it never ceases to amaze me. 

His man's parents live over there now and hes on 6 figures which obviously both mitigate a bit, but still, unnecessarily risky.

If the FCO advise against travel to the country you are due to travel to most travel insurance companies will cover this (if the carrier won't refund and you can't reverse through a credit card).

If the airline cancels all flights it's really down to them to resolve, however in these cases some people will have booked accomodation separately. Again travel insurance should help with this.

Where you are unwell or are showing symptoms and are under advice of a doctor to self isolate cancellation should be covered by most travel insurance policies on the basis you'd be travelling against doctor advice or unfit to travel due to illness. I'd suggest calling your insurer to clarify their stance on this one, most will require a letter or proof from a doctor which isn't easy given many won't actually see you currently.

If a country impose a travel ban or just refuse entry this is not usually something travel insurance covers. In these instances the carrier will be your best hope or failing that trying to claim money back via credit card.

If you choose not to travel as you don't want to risk it (as in OPs case) again travel insurance generally won't cover this unless there is FCO advice against travel.

Hope this helps some of you

Just to add - some policies cover you travel in spite of FCO advice against travel providing you abide by any regulations/guidelines set out by that country so for folks who have relatives overseas and still want to travel this is worth checking. That way if you take ill during the trip and need to claim for medical expenses you may be covered. If the advice is in place not to travel you forfeit the right to abandon the trip however.

And if you were to travel and while away the FCO advise against travel to that country a lot of insurance policies cover you to abandon the trip and get an earlier flight home.

That's most scenarios I can think of. Will let you guess what I do for a living...

Has anyone booked travel with emirates as we were due to go to uae in a couple of weeks. Looks like they are not accepting foreign nationals for the foreseeable but seen emirates are not giving a 100% refund but taking a cut of 25%. Can they do that? We do have travel insurance so looking into that also

9 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Just to add - some policies cover you travel in spite of FCO advice against travel providing you abide by any regulations/guidelines set out by that country so for folks who have relatives overseas and still want to travel this is worth checking. That way if you take ill during the trip and need to claim for medical expenses you may be covered. If the advice is in place not to travel you forfeit the right to abandon the trip however.

And if you were to travel and while away the FCO advise against travel to that country a lot of insurance policies cover you to abandon the trip and get an earlier flight home.

That's most scenarios I can think of. Will let you guess what I do for a living...

Butcher?

We're going to France in a fortnight. Waiting to see what govts/Ryan Air do so insurance will pay out.

If nothing closed or cancelled, not sure what we'll do. Got a pool and big house waiting for us there so not the worst place to self isolate!

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

We're going to France in a fortnight. Waiting to see what govts/Ryan Air do so insurance will pay out.

If nothing closed or cancelled, not sure what we'll do. Got a pool and big house waiting for us there so not the worst place to self isolate!

O'Leary not cancelling to Spain or France yet, may be forced to copy his Italian policy shortly, still selling flights to Spain as I type.

No need to be dependant on insurance policy for flights if Ryanair or F&CO pull the plug. Big house cost could be an insurance job.

Thanks for info @RS86 👍

We're due to go to Treviso begining of May for our first wedding anniversary.

It's a bit away but as it's looking reckon Italy might be ok but think we'll be in the middle of it ourselves.

Accommodation can be cancelled up to week before for full refund. The Ryanair flights we should get money back for as I reckon we'll be in shutdown.

Tbh I would really like to go if possible and give some support to Italy but I just can't see that happening.

Also doesn't seem like the most urgent issue ATM anyway.

Oh I've also got the premium travel insurance just in case so should be well covered

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

No ones going anywhere. 

Edinburgh airports live departure board counters your claim.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Im currently in Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote. Flew out on Thursday. The place is in lockdown so all bars and restaurants are closed for the next 15 days. You're only allowed to leave your appt/hotel for specific reasons like getting shopping in. 

Jet2 have confirmed their flights will operate as normal taking passengers home. 

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Im currently in Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote. Flew out on Thursday. The place is in lockdown so all bars and restaurants are closed for the next 15 days. You're only allowed to leave your appt/hotel for specific reasons like getting shopping in. 

Jet2 have confirmed their flights will operate as normal taking passengers home. 

The other day Lanzarote didn't have any infections, is that still the case?

34 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Same scenario as my GF. Fortunately she is due home tomorrow so doesn't have to deal with days of lockdown. Her uncle and Au tie though were likely on your flight and are there until Thursday.

Cairneyhill Jambo
21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Think there are 3 confirmed cases now. 

highlandjambo3
58 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They were ok up until Thursday 😉

1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Think there are 3 confirmed cases now. 

7 according to my GF yesterday.

Paid a sum today towards my holiday to Spain in August.

Would think the chances of getting my dough back are better by paying the holiday in full (needs to be by May) and having the decision to cancel taken out my hands. 

Edited by Debut 4

annushorribilis III

I was supposed to pay the £1k balance on 26 March  for holiday in early June (Fuerteventura). I tried to discuss with Jet2 but couldn't get through on phone so cancelled. Lost £120 deposit but not bothered - there just didn't seem any likelihood of getting  a holiday any time soon and little point in paying out another £1k just  to have to get it back via travel insurance when I'd likely be worse off.

annushorribilis III
14 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Has anyone booked travel with emirates as we were due to go to uae in a couple of weeks. Looks like they are not accepting foreign nationals for the foreseeable but seen emirates are not giving a 100% refund but taking a cut of 25%. Can they do that? We do have travel insurance so looking into that also

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/travel-updates/

The UK doesn't appear on their list of cancelled flights - just down the page a bit. 

8 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

I was supposed to pay the £1k balance on 26 March  for holiday in early June (Fuerteventura). I tried to discuss with Jet2 but couldn't get through on phone so cancelled. Lost £120 deposit but not bothered - there just didn't seem any likelihood of getting  a holiday any time soon and little point in paying out another £1k just  to have to get it back via travel insurance when I'd likely be worse off.

You'd have probably gotten that 120 back but yeah the offices must be getting absolutely hammered.

davemclaren
56 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You'd have probably gotten that 120 back but yeah the offices must be getting absolutely hammered.

Insurance policies have an excess generally so maybe not. 

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

Most likely going to do the same.

My balance is due at the end of April for early July (Lanzarote) with Jet2, there is 3 of us going so £180 deposit, which if we cancel I'm prepared to lose, which is looking more and more likely.

On the subject of insurance, we don't get insurance until about a week before we go, certainly don't buy insurance as part of the package, as I have pre-existing medical conditions I have to get insurance tailored to me, which tends to cost more, significantly more if I took it as part of a package.

At the start of last week I did a comparison check, just to see what they were charging.

If I took insurance out at the end of June covering for the two weeks away, for a decent policy it was £35+ that was just for me.

If I took out insurance now (last week) the exact same policy was costing me £388, with a £90 excess.

Even an annual policy was costing over £200.

So it makes no sense for me to take out insurance now costing £388 to then claim back £180 minus the £90 excess, it would actually mean I'd be £298 down.

Everybody will have different circumstances but for me insurance is too expensive to take out for longer periods, that is why I take it out just before we go.

Ainsley Harriott

I think the key thing to getting a refund is not cancelling yourself but waiting on your holiday company to cancel first then they are obliged to refund.

Jambo-Jimbo
On 15/03/2020 at 08:24, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As of an hour ago her flight was still on, she's cabin crew, so whilst the flight for outbound passengers may well have been suspended, the flight will still go down to Valencia empty to pick up passengers to bring them back to the UK, a so called rescue flight.

Update:

Flight took off from Gatwick to Valencia 40 minutes ago (08:20am), a handful of passengers on board and most probably are all people returning home to Valencia or the surrounding area, flight back to UK is expected to be busier as it's bringing people back home to the UK.