Festival Square

FWJ

I’m not too bothered about the aesthetics (although it’s a big improvement on the other buildings in the square) but delighted for the FH. I’m a member and support the FH/EIFF through charitable donations so it’s great to see one of Edinburgh’s two independent cinemas (and the main supporter of independent cinema as the Dominion’s not really that way inclined) get new premises. Should really help with attracting filmmakers to the EIFF which has struggled in the last decade. And from a purely selfish perspective, the seats will be comfier than the current ones!

Better than them closing the whole square off for weeks at a time while they put up and take down temporary structures for seasonal events.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Would be a great addition to the city and I'm impressed with the design, especially the under-ground element..

I can remember the public bogs being there but what was there before that/behind said toilets?

Other than that it looks quite a good addition to the Haymarket area.

The Natural Order
19 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

I can remember the public bogs being there but what was there before that/behind said toilets?

Other than that it looks quite a good addition to the Haymarket area.

It's not Haymarket. It's Lothian Road.

1 hour ago, The Natural Order said:

It's not Haymarket. It's Lothian Road.

Though it looks a bit like that 13 storey hotel at Haymarket that got knocked back a few years ago.

Same architect?

25 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Looks fine. But we don't need a new cinema in Edinburgh, we need a new live music venue.

The idea is that it replaces the current Filmhouse which has outgrown its current venue.

But spot on about a new music venue.  That big site at Haymarket would have been ideal IMHO.  In town and transport everywhere.

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Looks fine. But we don't need a new cinema in Edinburgh, we need a new live music venue.

:spoton: