If league fixtures are not completed?

ollie2004

If all fixtures are not fulfillwd because of the latest health scare what happens?

Is the bottom side relegated, are there play offs or is the season declared void? 

Any thoughts?

Nobody knows but it’s unfair to crown anyone champions, relegate anyone  when the full round of fixtures are not complete. The financial repercussions are huge and would likely result in some court action and rightfully so. 
If anything it will be delayed

Edited by 1971fozzy

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Good question. I cannot believe there arent already threads discussing it.

:lol:

Psychedelicropcircle

Last ten years points accumulation, lest amount frees all

sevco united to go down due to being 8 yr old

It's not fair we go down, not fair dundee United don't go up 

I say we would need to expand the spl on a trial basis to 16 teams andeither keep it that way or have 4 relegations next again season

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:lol:

Best sarcastic wit bar none on JKB. I always look forward to reading his posts 😂

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, been here before said:

Amazing.

IveSeenTheLight
24 minutes ago, Eno said:

Beat St. Mirren by more than 2 tomorrow just in case......

You only need to win.

1-0 will do

Depending on when the league shuts down it's likely it could be a mini league playoff between say us, St Mirren, Hamilton and Ross County to see who goes down, like the playoffs in the lower league. Wouldn't be adverse to it to be honest.

Anything would have to be voted through by the SPFL (the clubs).

The vote would also have to be 10-2 in favour, depending on if they open the vote up to all SPFL member clubs.

The challenge will be that they won’t get that for pausing the league and relegating the club who are last and promote the team that is first. They also won’t get it got scrapping this year due to how far we’ve got.

For me the only alternatives would be to play ties behind close doors or picking up the fixtures at a later date.

Seymour M Hersh

Void the league this season and implement the restructure (to 14) next season ensuring that the Championship winners still gain promotion.  Only losers would be Celtic who don't get 9 in a row. :laugh:

P.S. Why is everything appearing like it's in bold?  Although this post hasn't. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

A_A wehatethehibs

I’d say the season just gets postponed and restart at a later date. Might be July or August. Fulfill the remaining fixtures over summer, season will end in September or whatever, then plan a short 22 game season “play everyone twice, home + away” to get the timing back on track for the following year. 

The alternative is to cancel the season and cancel the title, cup and relegation.

All fixtures must be completed in order to justifiably award any titles, relegation or promotion. There’s no way you could relegate St Mirren just because they were last at the moment fixtures got suspended (after Hearts hammer them tonight) 

These are all far too sensible answers if you  consider who is running our league. Think back to the cup semi finals and how they continually refused to consider m’field and came up with ridiculous solutions instead. Here there are potentially much bigger and more complex decisions to be made - I won’t hold my breath thinking they’ll come up with something fair and reasonable 

They’ll try closed door games first. If players are in isolation then postponing the league campaign for now is the only option.

UEFA can delay European qualifiers until August if the whole thing is ****ed. Our League Cup could be delayed to later in the season.

10 hours ago, been here before said:

To be fair, it can be hard to know when to start a new thread. Seems to me there are several issues triggered by coronavirus and discussing some of them discretely is not necessarily a bad idea.

For example, the thread about a 14 team league (really interesting) seems to stand on its own rather than being part of a virus megathread. 

Not everyone knows or remembers that a specific point was discussed on pages 15 and 23 of a 70 page discussion.

I'm not from Peebles but I'm very much in favour of the place.

12 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Depending on when the league shuts down it's likely it could be a mini league playoff between say us, St Mirren, Hamilton and Ross County to see who goes down, like the playoffs in the lower league. Wouldn't be adverse to it to be honest.

Not sure you’ve thought that through. 

grumpyespana

I see our team Cartegena fc ( Spain ) game this sunday is behind closed doors for two weeks at this moment in time.

annushorribilis III
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Cancel Euro 2020 and extend the season into June. 

Yup, I suggested the same yesterday. Ultimately, it's the Euros that are the problem. 

Just now, annushorribilis III said:

Yup, I suggested the same yesterday. Ultimately, it's the Euros that are the problem. 

With this new fangled format of games being played everywhere, it’s a cert to be cancelled imo. 
Would help all Euro leagues to finish their seasons into June.

Edited by Boab

annushorribilis III
Just now, Boab said:

With this new fangled format of ***games being played everywhere***, it’s a cert to be cancelled imo. 
Would help all Euro leagues to finish their seasons into June.

Agreed - also my point yesterday.

It's roughly 10 weeks to go (so players will be in training camps weeks before that) and I'm surprised UEFA aren't already holding talks with the national governments involved.  We'll probably end up with a Mexican stand off - UEFA will rely on one country calling wolf so they don't get the blame.  I don't understand how a situation can improve from the current  to a scenario where people/players are traipsing all over Europe when clubs are playing games behind closed doors already. 

avhudtheteeshirt

The worst case scenario, is to stop the league as it stands!

If the clubs get to vote on it, whoever is bottom would be relegated as the other 11 would then be safe!

The 11th club would not be able to play in the play offs so would also be safe.

The best option is to cancel this season altogether and start afresh as soon as the crisis is over.

I think stopping the league at this time and restarting in say 3 months time, would cause so much disruption to teams, it would be like starting a new league season without playing friendlies or league cup matches????

If Euro 2020 is changed to Euro 2021, that gives us UEFA another year to decide if Hampden really is the best stadium in Scotland to use :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

How not?

Your solution to decide the outcome of a league that was cancelled because games can’t be played is to play games ? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Nobody knows, at least if we get relegated this way we can use it as an excuse. Season will see its conclusion, they seem to be doing a reasonable job of containment in the UK thus far.

The Euros are bound to get cancelled,they're not wanting mass movement of folks going around all over the place and I'd think that will still be the case come June 

King Of The Cat Cafe

With so much uncertainty around, there's bound to be long-distance supporters who have not yet booked trains or planes for the semi-final. 

It's difficult to predict what the effect on attendance will be.

Austria has cancelled its ice hockey play offs and one of the teams I think is Italian who cross over, nothing decided its just come to a stop.

Could be a 12-club vote on whether to postpone any remaining games or play closed-doors. Would prefer the later just to get the season done.