Lewis Moore

Thought Police

Thought Police

I was wondering if many had seen his interview on the Hearts website, or listened to it on Hearts TV?

Not your usual “big game, need to keep up momentum, etc etc” we get most weeks, but quite a telling interview for the young man.

Talks about how he lost his dad last summer and how he didn’t tell anyone at Hearts, which most likely had an adverse affect on how he was viewed until they became aware.

On the whole, I think he’s done well. I sometimes wish he’d show more confidence in himself to try and beat a man but it’ll come. As he said himself he was very close to chucking it not long ago.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/i-lost-my-dad-and-was-worst-time-my-life-lewis-moore-opens-hearts-rejuvenation-and-nearly-quitting-game-2445560

Lewis Moore opens up on Hearts rejuvenation and nearly quitting the game

Winger was close to turning back on game after father’s death

Lewis Moore has enjoyed the best week of his life at Hearts just months after thinking about quitting the game.

The 21-year-old winger is a product of the Tynecastle youth academy but endured a disrupted start to his senior career with three loan moves compounded by the traumatic death last summer of his father Michael.

Moore was considering his future before boss Daniel Stendel took over from Craig Levein in December but he has rediscovered his mojo.

Recent wins over Rangers and Hibs and a draw against Motherwell has left him rejuvenated albeit the Gorge side are bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership ahead of their visit to fellow strugglers St Mirren Wednesday night.

"The last week has probably been my best week as a Hearts player," said Moore. "I'm going into every game now believing I should be in the team.

"I've been here since under-10s and I made my debut at 17 against St Johnstone in the last game of the season then went on loan to Cowdenbeath.

"That was an experience. Liam Fox was the manager. I was playing every week there. Not so much football - more like rugby.

"I came back and was involved under Craig Levein and played 15/16 games. I thought I was going to be involved again but after pre-season I got told I was going on loan to Forfar - and to be fair I enjoyed it.

"Then I lost my dad and that was the worst time of my life. My head was all over the place. I was coming into training but I didn't want to be there.

"I made the mistake in that I didn't tell anyone at the club so the first two weeks of pre-season I was obviously miles off it.

"But when they told me I was going on loan (to Falkirk), I broke down and told them and I got all the support in the world.

"Hopefully I'm not in that situation again but I wouldn't make the mistake of keeping it in again. Even still, I have my good days and bad days, I am sure he will be proud of me now.

"The first six months of the season were terrible. When I went to Falkirk they thought I was a left-back. I couldn't believe what was happening.

"I don't think it benefited me at all. It was just a waste of time. I was going to go and get a job, that's how I was feeling at the time.

"I just didn't want to play football. It was constant set-backs. I was 21 and I wasn't even getting a game in League One at the start of the season so I thought, 'how am I meant to play for Hearts'?"

Moore is in a more positive place now and aims to help Hearts steer clear of relegation, starting against the Buddies whom they trail by three points.

He said: "My mind-set has totally changed now. My contract is up in the summer but my priority is to get Hearts away from relegation.

"I thought I was going out on loan again in January but thankfully the gaffer saw something in me.

"I knew the way he wanted to play I could fit right in and I am glad I'm doing that.

"The game is bigger than huge. It is a must-win. We probably took our time to realise we are in a dog-fight and Wednesday is massive."

jack D and coke

Loads of effort from him. Hopefully he can find a bit more confidence too to start taking players on more. 
He’s done well lately and would be nice if he got a goal tomorrow. 

If every Hearts player showed the same effort and desire as Lewis Moore we’d be in a far better place. He’s shown tremendous attitude lately and has been one of our better players. I see a bright future for him.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

Always difficult when someone loses a loved one, especially at a fairly young age.

I am glad he now feels more himself and that he is feeling like he is part of the team now. 

lets hope he can maybe get a goal or two in the remaining games!

Fair play to Moore. He’s really kicked on under Stendel and has been great for us recently. 

What’s concerning is the piss poor way in which we were/are managing young guys coming through. Sending him out on loan to Cowdenbeath to be coached by disaster Liam Fox, then sending him to Falkirk where they thought he was a left back. 

I know Gary Naysmith came in as loans manager, so you’d hope there has been some improvement in that area but it’s worrying to think how many young guys we’ve probably mismanaged out the game over the past few years. 

2 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Fair play to Moore. He’s really kicked on under Stendel and has been great for us recently. 

What’s concerning is the piss poor way in which we were/are managing young guys coming through. Sending him out on loan to Cowdenbeath to be coached by disaster Liam Fox, then sending him to Falkirk where they thought he was a left back. 

I know Gary Naysmith came in as loans manager, so you’d hope there has been some improvement in that area but it’s worrying to think how many young guys we’ve probably mismanaged out the game over the past few years. 

Exactly what I was thinking! The bit about Falkirk thinking he was a  left back is pretty shocking.

Footballfirst
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Scotland U21s. First game at Tynecastle too v Croatia Fri 27 March. 

I'm pretty sure that's the first time he's been included in a Scotland age group side

Hopefully now realises the importance of talking to someone when you are struggling. Fair play to him. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

I was wondering if many had seen his interview on the Hearts website, or listened to it on Hearts TV?

Not your usual “big game, need to keep up momentum, etc etc” we get most weeks, but quite a telling interview for the young man.

Talks about how he lost his dad last summer and how he didn’t tell anyone at Hearts, which most likely had an adverse affect on how he was viewed until they became aware.

On the whole, I think he’s done well. I sometimes wish he’d show more confidence in himself to try and beat a man but it’ll come. As he said himself he was very close to chucking it not long ago.

There’s something there, definitely. Feels very borderline at the moment - hard to say if he’ll make it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm so proud of this lad. I'll be honest, I'd written him off, always great to be proved so very wrong.

Think he has been great, he has had struggles in some games still but he has had a very positive impact and often now.

19 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Very good points which I hadn’t really thought about.

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Exactly what I was thinking! The bit about Falkirk thinking he was a  left back is pretty shocking.

Says more about Falkirk tbh.

Liam Fox and his rugby team when loaned out to be Cowdenbeath's worst ever manager.  And he's still employed by the club even now.

Gary Naysmith had been announced as Loans Manager when Moore went to Falkirk.  Looks like he was doing such a good job in his oh so vital role.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Coco said:

Liam Fox and his rugby team when loaned out to be Cowdenbeath's worst ever manager.  And he's still employed by the club even now.

Gary Naysmith had been announced as Loans Manager when Moore went to Falkirk.  Looks like he was doing such a good job in his oh so vital role.

Why the need to turn everything into someone at the club's fault. Moore said the league was like rugby not the way he was asked to play. If Falkirk don't know the position of a player they want on loan then that's their fault.

Hope Moore makes it. He has much more about him than Mulraney in terms of creating things and all round energy and commitment. Another good decision by Stendel.

16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why the need to turn everything into someone at the club's fault. Moore said the league was like rugby not the way he was asked to play. If Falkirk don't know the position of a player they want on loan then that's their fault.

Hope Moore makes it. He has much more about him than Mulraney in terms of creating things and all round energy and commitment. Another good decision by Stendel.

Believe it or not, but sometimes people at the club are at fault

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Believe it or not, but sometimes people at the club are at fault

No evidence of that in this case. He said himself he was off his game.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No evidence of that in this case. He said himself he was off his game.

You not think that the club should have made clear his position when agreeing the loan deal

22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes, it’s Falkirk’s fault if they don’t know his position but ultimately he’s a Hearts player and a Hearts asset. You would think there would be some sort of due diligence around where we are sending these guys and what it means for their development, etc. 

18-21 is a key age for players coming through and defining whether they’ll “make it” or not. For us to have such a nonchalant attitude to this is pretty disgraceful both in terms of how we develop our academy talents and how we actually support these guys coming through. 

There are probably loads of young players that we’ve wasted and mismanaged by chucking them out on loan to whichever league one or two sides will take an extra body. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, HMFC 86 said:

You not think that the club should have made clear his position when agreeing the loan deal

Eh no it's really up to Falkirk as they know what positions they need filling. Moore played as a wing back for us at times didn't he? Maybe that's what confused falkirk.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, The Fonz said:

Yes, it’s Falkirk’s fault if they don’t know his position but ultimately he’s a Hearts player and a Hearts asset. You would think there would be some sort of due diligence around where we are sending these guys and what it means for their development, etc. 

18-21 is a key age for players coming through and defining whether they’ll “make it” or not. For us to have such a nonchalant attitude to this is pretty disgraceful both in terms of how we develop our academy talents and how we actually support these guys coming through. 

There are probably loads of young players that we’ve wasted and mismanaged by chucking them out on loan to whichever league one or two sides will take an extra body. 

Perhaps that's why we hired a loans manager? Lots of Hearts players have benefitted from loans. Which ones have been wasted?

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eh no it's really up to Falkirk as they know what positions they need filling. Moore played as a wing back for us at times didn't he? Maybe that's what confused falkirk.

C’mon now, obviously it’s up to Falkirk but we should be making sure the clubs we’re loaning him to are suitable and are going to play him in the right position. We can’t just pap players out to anybody who’ll take them. A bit diligence to at least try and ensure they’re treated right and the whole exercise doesn’t turn into a waste of time. Some of the loans have been totally pointless. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

and it’s up to us to ensure we place our young players well to aid their development 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

C’mon now, obviously it’s up to Falkirk but we should be making sure the clubs we’re loaning him to are suitable and are going to play him in the right position. We can’t just pap players out to anybody who’ll take them. A bit diligence to at least try and ensure they’re treated right and the whole exercise doesn’t turn into a waste of time. Some of the loans have been totally pointless. 

We don't know, that's the point. It's just another excuse for some to read something into comments and use it as an excuse to bash their own club. How do you know clubs have to play players in a specific position? The point of lower league loans is more to get the young boys playing men's football, experience first team football and to toughen them up. They're not going to Scottish League One to learn a position are they? Who are they going to learn from down there? It's also sometimes a way to free up space in our squad.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, HMFC 86 said:

and it’s up to us to ensure we place our young players well to aid their development 

And how do you know we didn't?

Kidd’s Boots

I've been singing his praises since the turn of the year, his industry, energy and understanding with Hickey on the left has been tremendous and fully deserves his call up. I'm so pleased that he has been able to firstly open up to the club, but also to us through the press about what he has been contending with. Undoubtedly given a slate by the new gaffer, and boy, has he grasped the chance. I really hope he gets the rewards, firstly with a confidence boosting goal and a new contract in due course. Some more recognition from the stands regarding his overall contribution in games wouldn't do him any harm either!!

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Perhaps that's why we hired a loans manager? Lots of Hearts players have benefitted from loans. Which ones have been wasted?

Almost definitely. However, even without a designated loans manager we should have someone accountable for making sure we are managing our young players careers and loans properly, which is clear to see that there wasn’t someone doing this. 

I couldn’t name you specific players as I don’t watch youth team games. Although given that (a) we’ve had very few youth players make it in the last 5 years (b) the way in which we manage our youth players careers has clearly been amateur at best, it’s a fair assumption to make. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

And how do you know we didn't?

Because they thought he was a left back...round and round in circles

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Almost definitely. However, even without a designated loans manager we should have someone accountable for making sure we are managing our young players careers and loans properly, which is clear to see that there wasn’t someone doing this. 

I couldn’t name you specific players as I don’t watch youth team games. Although given that (a) we’ve had very few youth players make it in the last 5 years (b) the way in which we manage our youth players careers has clearly been amateur at best, it’s a fair assumption to make. 

What's clear here? All of a sudden our loan system isn't fit for purpose, it's bizarre. From the current first team squad, Moore, Henderson, Irving, MacDonald, Walker, Connor Smith and no doubt some others have all benefited from loans. Moore, Henderson and Irving have all done well since coming into the first team squad off the back of loan spells. Keena seems to be doing well down south. Petkov got good reviews from his loan spell. Very few young players will make it at Hearts - if we get one a season breaking into the first team that's good going. We've had more than that.

Where's your evidence of this other than this comment about someone at Falkirk maybe not understanding the difference between a wing back and a full back?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Because they thought he was a left back...round and round in circles

Why is that Hearts fault? He's never played LB, so no-one at Hearts would say he's a LB. 

Sexton Hardcastle

Excellent to see a bit of patience and time pay off. Only during the rangers first half were well known posters calling him out and asking for him to be hooked before setting up the goal.

Well done to the lad. Terrible to lose a parent and obviously he was distraught. 
on to to his form and he more than merits his place. He’s definitely bulked up a bit and has been playing very well. 
hopefully he keeps his place for tomorrow night and has another good game.

He is playing for a new contract also and doing not bad at all.

good luck Lewis and keep it up lad 🇱🇻🇱🇻👍👍

Edited by 1971fozzy

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What's clear here? All of a sudden our loan system isn't fit for purpose, it's bizarre. From the current first team squad, Moore, Henderson, Irving, MacDonald, Walker, Connor Smith and no doubt some others have all benefited from loans. Moore, Henderson and Irving have all done well since coming into the first team squad off the back of loan spells. Keena seems to be doing well down south. Petkov got good reviews from his loan spell. Very few young players will make it at Hearts - if we get one a season breaking into the first team that's good going. We've had more than that.

Where's your evidence of this other than this comment about someone at Falkirk maybe not understanding the difference between a wing back and a full back?

If you read the article it’s clear that we weren’t or aren’t managing loans correctly. 

Sending lads to Cowdenbeath to be coached by their worst ever manger and complete dud Liam Fox. Or sending them to clubs where they don’t know what position they play in (presumably something that should be covered when deciding where to send players). 

Unsurprisingly there aren't a load of articles of youth players critiquing the loans function at Hearts, but the one in the OP makes clear that we were letting this young lad down and not making the effort to properly support his development. 

This is basic due diligence, but again this is a football department that was run like a holiday camp where no one does their homework and no one is accountable for any failures. 

17 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Excellent to see a bit of patience and time pay off. Only during the rangers first half were well known posters calling him out and asking for him to be hooked before setting up the goal.

same ones that probably weren’t even at the game 

31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We don't know, that's the point. It's just another excuse for some to read something into comments and use it as an excuse to bash their own club. How do you know clubs have to play players in a specific position? The point of lower league loans is more to get the young boys playing men's football, experience first team football and to toughen them up. They're not going to Scottish League One to learn a position are they? Who are they going to learn from down there? It's also sometimes a way to free up space in our squad.

Moore barely played, neither did Cochrane. Morison is at a level he should have been placed at a better club. As you say, I don’t know if things are being handled correctly with loaning out our youngsters but neither do you. I’m drawing a conclusion by the fact they all too often seem to come back no better than when they went. I’m not convinced it’s being handled right or that it benefits players at all in most cases. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, The Fonz said:

If you read the article it’s clear that we weren’t or aren’t managing loans correctly. 

Sending lads to Cowdenbeath to be coached by their worst ever manger and complete dud Liam Fox. Or sending them to clubs where they don’t know what position they play in (presumably something that should be covered when deciding where to send players). 

Unsurprisingly there aren't a load of articles of youth players critiquing the loans function at Hearts, but the one in the OP makes clear that we were letting this young lad down and not making the effort to properly support his development. 

This is basic due diligence, but again this is a football department that was run like a holiday camp where no one does their homework and no one is accountable for any failures. 

Given he's broken into the first team and is playing well, doesn't that mean we've developed him well?

Admit it, you have no idea how loans work at Hearts, like most of us. The evidence suggests we do a generally good job of developing players and use the loan system pretty well. Some players take their chance after a loan spell - Neilson, Gordon, Walker and others - and others don't and they tend to drop down a league for first team football.  

Put it this way, name a young player who has been released by us who immediately signed for a team at our level and then held down to a place. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Moore barely played, neither did Cochrane. Morison is at a level he should have been placed at a better club. As you say, I don’t know if things are being handled correctly with loaning out our youngsters but neither do you. I’m drawing a conclusion by the fact they all too often seem to come back no better than when they went. I’m not convinced it’s being handled right or that it benefits players at all in most cases. 

The alternative to placing players out on loan is releasing them isn't it? Surely by putting them out on loan we're giving them a chance no matter what the club is. And I assume we can't just pick and choose any club to place them at. That club has to want them and have space for them.

As I said, some players use loan spells as springboards into the first team and others, despite multiple loans, don't make it and we let them go around age 20/21. Zanatta for example most recently.

Edited by ToqueJambo

30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why is that Hearts fault? He's never played LB, so no-one at Hearts would say he's a LB. 

We've got a loans manager surely he'd ask where they intended to play the lad it's pretty simple

4 minutes ago, jambocub said:

We've got a loans manager surely he'd ask where they intended to play the lad it's pretty simple

Absolutely

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The alternative to placing players out on loan is releasing them isn't it? Surely by putting them out on loan we're giving them a chance no matter what the club is. And I assume we can't just pick and choose any club to place them at. That club has to want them and have space for them.

As I said, some players use loan spells as springboards into the first team and others, despite multiple loans, don't make it and we let them go around age 20/21. Zanatta for example most recently.

I’m not entirely against loans but you look at some, that I’ve already mentioned and think wtf was the point in that. I think if our squad wasn’t so bloated it would make more sense to have more of them in and around the first team squad. You look at people like Garrucio or McLean or Wighton and think really? We need to bring in these guys as back up? We have nothing coming through that’s better? 

I just wonder if we get it all right with our youth players often enough. 

Saint Jambo

When the poster above said Naysmith was already announced as Loans Manager when Moore joined Falkirk, it is worth highlighting the timeline...

- 6th August - Naysmith announced as Loans Manager

- 8th August - Moore announced as having joined Falkirk

It seems pretty hard to believe that Naysmith was involved in negotiating Moore's move to Falkirk given that timeline. Posters criticising the club would seem more credible if they were saying 'it's awful that the club were handling loans so poorly, I'm really pleased that we've addressed this by bringing in a loans manager which was clearly needed'. Those using this as an opportunity to criticise Hearts having a Loans Manager come across as ill-informed and like they are just looking for the next stick to use to beat the club (or former management team).

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, jambocub said:

How do we know they didn't and Falkirk said LM/winger? Or isn't it a fair assumption for the team sending a player out on loan that the team asking for the loan player knows where that player plays though 🤣 "So, Jimmy, just to confirm you know Jamie Walker is a winger not a CB right?" 

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to my own team here. If someone at Falkirk thought Moore could play LB for them that's their problem. We've played Meshino in several positions. Sibbick may play in a couple of positions for us, so might Langer.

Anyhow, Moore seems to have improved. This is a good thing, however it happened. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not entirely against loans but you look at some, that I’ve already mentioned and think wtf was the point in that. I think if our squad wasn’t so bloated it would make more sense to have more of them in and around the first team squad. You look at people like Garrucio or McLean or Wighton and think really? We need to bring in these guys as back up? We have nothing coming through that’s better? 

I just wonder if we get it all right with our youth players often enough. 

The good youth players will come through. A loan is just one way to help them develop. IMO it's more about playing men's football, toughening them up and experiencing a first team environment, just from what I've read when other Hearts players described the benefits of their loan spells. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

The good youth players will come through.

I think that’s an unfair assumption tbh. It’s almost as if you’re saying it doesn’t matter what the club do the good ones will force there way through anyway. I don’t believe that.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think that’s an unfair assumption tbh. It’s almost as if you’re saying it doesn’t matter what the club do the good ones will force there way through anyway. I don’t believe that.

I can't think of anyone we released who has gone on to prove us wrong.

I agree with you that with our recent injuries, I wish we'd put more of the youngsters in instead of signing more players. In general though if you compare us to other clubs our size we seem do a better job than most, maybe all when you look at it over a lot of years.

Edited by ToqueJambo

3fingersreid

Aside from him sounding positive about his career  , I hope it helps to get people talking about any issues they have in their personal life , don’t bottle anything up go and talk to someone .