Scotland U21

steve123

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Moore and Irving called up well done to them, a bit surprised no place for Hickey !!

I think they might be trying to protect Hickey a little given how many games he's being asked to play as a 17 year old. Otherwise it's madness as he's easily good enough. 

3 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I think they might be trying to protect Hickey a little given how many games he's being asked to play as a 17 year old. Otherwise it's madness as he's easily good enough. 

Yea got to agree seems a strange one if that is not the case !! 

4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Unfamiliar with a lot if these names, who is keeping Hickey out the team/squad?

One from ayr I think 

Delighted for Irving and Moore who both deserve a call up. Equally delighted Hickey hasn't been called up as we need to wrap him in cotton wool if we are relying on him to play every game til the end of the season. 

Famous 1874

Hickey is 100% being monitored. Miles ahead of anyone in that squad bar Gilmour. 

Excellent for Moore and Irving. 

6 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Gilmour should be starting for the first team.

I don't know about starting yet. Yes he has done well for Chelsea in the last few games but international football is different. I would however bring him into the senior squad at least for the experience and depending upon how he trains maybe play him

The Old Tolbooth
10 minutes ago, Dayman said:

I agree, England throw in the likes of Loftus Cheek, Odoi, and Mount, and don't think anything of it, maybe Gilmour is "too wee" to play for Scotland yet :facepalm: 

alwaysthereinspirit

Newco finally showing the positives from their new youth system. Can only be good for the future of Scottish football. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Be amazed if these games go ahead to be honest. Europe steadily heading into lockdown

fabienleclerq
34 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I don't know about starting yet. Yes he has done well for Chelsea in the last few games but international football is different. I would however bring him into the senior squad at least for the experience and depending upon how he trains maybe play him

It's different from Scottish football as the possession doesn't change hands as much but not so different from the Premier league. You could argue he'll be playing inferior opposition than he would at Chelsea (obviously works the other way in that his team mates aren't as good). 

For me it's a no brainer and if he's good enough for Chelsea he's good enough for Scotland. 

Sexton Hardcastle

Thought half this forum hated Scotland and the ‘tartan trannies’ so why get so worked up.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Patrick Reading, I think.

Brick Tamland
1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Newco finally showing the positives from their new youth system. Can only be good for the future of Scottish football. 

Indeed they are fairly showing that investment in youth is the way forward 😏

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

You’re probably right. The fact he’s not had a call up yet is incredible though. 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I agree, England throw in the likes of Loftus Cheek, Odoi, and Mount, and don't think anything of it, maybe Gilmour is "too wee" to play for Scotland yet :facepalm: 

That old chestnut! Probably bang on though 🤦‍♂️

baxterd1974
5 hours ago, Gambo said:

Patrick Reading - yet to make a first team appearance for Stevenage (according to EEN)

Danial Harvie - Plays for Ayr

Strikes me a classic Scotland decision based on no more than his age

2 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Investing in players with next to zero chance of playing for Rangers first team. Kennedy and Patterson were on bench on Sunday. But Ryan Kent was signed instead of giving youngsters a chance. 

Mr Brightside
3 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

There are 6 players contracted to Rangers in the U21s which is a pretty good return. Gilmour was also in their youth system.

alwaysthereinspirit
6 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

There are 6 players contracted to Rangers in the U21s which is a pretty good return. Gilmour was also in their youth system.

Name and shame.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

We had a spell with multiple players in the U21s not that long ago - Nicolson, Walker, Hamilton, King, Souttar, McGhee... It's noticeable that OF players not playing for the first team often get in while Hearts players usually need to be paying for the first team.

alwaysthereinspirit
40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We had a spell with multiple players in the U21s not that long ago - Nicolson, Walker, Hamilton, King, Souttar, McGhee... It's noticeable that OF players not playing for the first team often get in while Hearts players usually need to be paying for the first team.

OF kids are much better than the other teams dross. Or why else would Celtic/Newco sign them.

Most if not all will be world class one day. 
At the very least.

Saint Jambo
6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Had a quick look at Transfermarkt. Hudson-Odoi is the only one of those three that is similar to Gilmour.

- Loftus-Cheek was 22 when he started his first competitive game for England at the World Cup in 2018 (and only after Alli had been injured in the proceeding game). He'd made his debut 3 years earlier for Chelsea and had spent the whole proceeding season as a regular starter at Crystal Palace.

- Mount was 20 when he started his first competitive game for England earlier this year. He'd spent a full season as a regular at Vitesse Arnhem and then another full season at Derby. He'd then started this season as a starter at Chelsea.

- Hudson-Odoi is much more similar to Gilmour. He was 18 when he started for England against Montenegro and had only started 7 games for Chelsea.

England did have the luxury of starting Hudson-Odoi in a qualifier in a group they were always going to win comfortably. Starting Gilmour against Israel in one of our most important internationals in a decade would be amazingly high risk, especially when central midfield is actually an area that we have some decent options. 

7 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

OF kids are much better than the other teams dross. Or why else would Celtic/Newco sign them.

Most if not all will be world class one day. 
At the very least.

Just the Rangers players don't get a chance in the first team.

Kai Kennedy for example. Would be in the St Johnstone team for instance. 

Mr Brightside
51 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Name and shame.

All the players marked with a 2 next to them, as they are currently on loan.

Of the 6, Ross McCrorrie and Glenn Middleton have both played for Rangers first team. 

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Dayman said:

Why? Because he had two decent performances for Chelsea's first team? 

alwaysthereinspirit
31 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

All the players marked with a 2 next to them, as they are currently on loan.

Of the 6, Ross McCrorrie and Glenn Middleton have both played for Rangers first team. 

👍

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not just decent to be fair.

The worry about Gilmour is that, like Robertson, he will be brought down to the level of the players around him. He can win the ball, close down space, start attacks all he wants for Scotland but if he's only feeding the likes of Kenny McLean and Old McBurnie or O'Donnell down the flank, he won't be as effective for us. That said, the more quality players  who have shown they can do it at a high level - like Gilmour, Robertson, Fraser and McTominay - the better. McGinn, Fraser, Gilmour, Robertson and McTominay would be the makings of a cracking team you'd hope.

Guest ToqueJambo
42 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Had a quick look at Transfermarkt. Hudson-Odoi is the only one of those three that is similar to Gilmour.

- Loftus-Cheek was 22 when he started his first competitive game for England at the World Cup in 2018 (and only after Alli had been injured in the proceeding game). He'd made his debut 3 years earlier for Chelsea and had spent the whole proceeding season as a regular starter at Crystal Palace.

- Mount was 20 when he started his first competitive game for England earlier this year. He'd spent a full season as a regular at Vitesse Arnhem and then another full season at Derby. He'd then started this season as a starter at Chelsea.

- Hudson-Odoi is much more similar to Gilmour. He was 18 when he started for England against Montenegro and had only started 7 games for Chelsea.

England did have the luxury of starting Hudson-Odoi in a qualifier in a group they were always going to win comfortably. Starting Gilmour against Israel in one of our most important internationals in a decade would be amazingly high risk, especially when central midfield is actually an area that we have some decent options. 

We should be looking to Wales and Northern Ireland rather than England. Both have played teenagers recently.

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Or the fact he’s good enough to start for our first team, and probably has been for a year or so? 

If he was at rangers or Celtic Right now he’d be their star player, touted for a £20 million move down south, and in the Scotland team. 

He’s better than any player playing in the SPL outwith the ugly sisters. 

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

It's amazing to think that Loftus Cheek and Mount were a lot older than I thought they were, I honestly thought they were teenagers when blooded into the England set up, and I take your point about it being such an important game compared to a cushy qualifier, I still think he should be with the squad though, because he's the type of impact player we might well need when we inevitably struggle at some point, as is the Scotland way. 

21 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Hickey is 100% being monitored. Miles ahead of anyone in that squad bar Gilmour. 

Excellent for Moore and Irving. 

The boy Johnston can play left back came through at Liverpool but went to Holland for around half a million. Looks the part but another left sided defender isn't what we need!