Imagine this scenario

gashauskis9

gashauskis9

We beat St Mirren 2-0 tomorrow night and go above them on goal difference.  

On Thurs morning, the SPFL/SFA decide to end the season prematurely due to COVID-19.  To ensure that Dundee Utd don’t hit the wall, the decision is taken to cancel the play offs, but relegate one and promote one.  As a result, St Mirren are relegated on goal difference on technically the last day of the season.  They then spend the rest of their eternity thinking about how this could have been avoided if they hadn’t let Celtic pump them last weekend.

That my friends is ****ing karma!!!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Weakened Offender

• gashauskis9

Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

On Thurs morning, the SPFL/SFA decide to end the season prematurely due to COVID-19.  To ensure that Dundee Utd don’t hit the wall, the decision is taken to cancel the play offs, but relegate one and promote one.  As a result, St Mirren are relegated on goal difference on technically the last day of the season.  They then spend the rest of their eternity thinking about how this could have been avoided if they hadn’t let Celtic pump them last weekend.

Lets just hope for a 2-0 win 🙂.

18 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Or even just 1-0 and they go down on goals scored... 🤪

A more likely scenario given the way our season has went....

We go to st mirren on Wednesday and absolutely hammer them 7-0 to put them bottom of the table. 

Saturday comes and St Mirren scrape a 0-0 draw with Killie to out us back bottom, then on sunday Morning  the SPFL/SFA decide to end the season prematurely due to COVID-19..........

tynietigers
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I like you scenario better ☺️♥️👍🏻

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Gets those w@nks back for lying down to Timothy in '86.

That would do it.

And you know what.  Ending this season early may be the best bit of that!  Just want it done.  Can't wait for next season!

More likely we go there, gift them an embarrasing goal and Naismith misses a number of sitters, get beat and get relegated.

While I would bite your hand off for a 2-0 Hearts win tomorrow night, I can't get excited about events that happened 34 years ago that fall into the realms of conspiracy theory, particularly when none of the personnel involved that day are still at St Mirren, Celtic or Hearts. Some of their supporters may be the same, but they never influenced the outcome.  

12 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

More likely we go there, gift them an embarrasing goal and Naismith misses a number of sitters, get beat and get relegated.

Thats the spirit 👍

GorgieFifeLife

Or what will likely happen is the season will carry on and finish as normal.  We will stay up, St Mirren will go down and Ross County will lose in play off.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

:rofl::sweeet:

They have to fulfil the 38 games, they can postpone or play behind closed doors. What they cannot do is finish a season early. Any team that finds themselves in the bottom two places, relegated, will be suing the arse off the SFA for millions. 

Allowayjambo1874
2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Could find one or two teams going bust from lack of income from closed doors games.

I’ve no doubt supporters from various teams would also be up in arms at paying for season tickets and missing 3-4 matches.

IveSeenTheLight
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

They have to fulfil the 38 games, they can postpone or play behind closed doors. What they cannot do is finish a season early. Any team that finds themselves in the bottom two places, relegated, will be suing the arse off the SFA for millions. 

Is that the case though?

Force Majeaure would probably be cited in any legal discussions.

Weakened Offender

The seethe for St Mirren is quite silly. They may well have had a few tinkers in their team that day who never tried but to still be going on about it now is sad. 

Fair play to folks from that neck of the woods who support their local team. 

29 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Is that the case though?

Force Majeaure would probably be cited in any legal discussions.

Force majeure is like WW3 starting or Aliens invading, not the flu. :laugh:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
39 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Would be my take on it.

33 games might give them an out all the same, then at least you have played all teams. Even if there is some disparity in home and away fixtures it could be argued to be reasonably fair.

International football competitions should be placed on hold and possibly even scrapped to allow dates to complete leagues, even if it is into the summer. After all they are the clubs employees, internationals are days away. I would be dead against my employees travelling for internationals in the circumstances.

Priority 1 National Leagues

Priority 2 National Cups

Priority 3 International Club Cups

Priority 4 International association tournaments i.e Euros

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Force majeure is like WW3 starting or Aliens invading, not the flu. :laugh:

force majeure
/ˌfɔːs maˈʒəː/
noun
noun: force majeure
  1. 1.
    Law
    unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.

2. 2.
    irresistible compulsion or superior strength.

Italian Lambretta
4 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Sounds great but what if the games postponed again due to the weather?

23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:
force majeure
/ˌfɔːs maˈʒəː/
noun
  1. 1.
    Law

2. 2.

I know what force majeure is. Under contracts however, it would have to be a near apocalyptic scenario to get out of not fulfilling a League and Cup Competition in the eyes of clubs, sponsors, and TV companies etc....

Why?

There is actually nothing preventing them from fulfilling this season either in another way, e.g. Closed doors. Or game played at a Later date. Therefore, using that reason to prematurely end a competition would not be acceptable.

It would however be an acceptable reason to postpone it. 

Edited by Cruyff

21 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:
force majeure
/ˌfɔːs maˈʒəː/
noun
  1. 1.
    Law

2. 2.

If the contract isn’t fulfilled that I’d assume the part where the team finishes Is relegated last isn’t fulfilled either. 

Regardless was this thread started by a 10  year old, surely an adult doesn’t sit at work daydreaming such nonsense. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

If the contract isn’t fulfilled that I’d assume the part where the team finishes Is relegated last isn’t fulfilled either. 

Regardless was this thread started by a 10  year old, surely an adult doesn’t sit at work daydreaming such nonsense. 

I'm sure someone will be along from the SPFL shortly to keep us informed

:tumbleweed:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I know what force majeure is. Under contracts however, it would have to be a near apocalyptic scenario to get out of not fulfilling a League and Cup Competition in the eyes of clubs, sponsors, and TV companies etc....

Why?

There is actually nothing preventing them from fulfilling this season either in another way, e.g. Closed doors. Or game played at a Later date. Therefore, using that reason to prematurely end a competition would not be acceptable.

It would however be an acceptable reason to postpone it. 

Catastrophe is the word, I would say an entire western country being locked down could be termed a catastrophe.

I'm certain they will do everything they can to avoid the season not being completed, closed doors has to be a very realistic prospect. 

How long before a player catches the virus, then what do you do at that point. We may find out very shortly with the Nottingham Forest owner diagnosed with the virus, how far has he spread it?

6 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I fecking love this idea. Maybe when lombardi hearts were over they visited every game in Scotland between them to try and make this happen.

Ex member of the SaS
6 hours ago, newbie said:

While I would bite your hand off for a 2-0 Hearts win tomorrow night, I can't get excited about events that happened 34 years ago that fall into the realms of conspiracy theory, particularly when none of the personnel involved that day are still at St Mirren, Celtic or Hearts. Some of their supporters may be the same, but they never influenced the outcome.  

No conspiracy theory. Half their team celebrated ON THE PITCH with the Celtic team. They are and always will be scum and even the tiniest bit of pain or misfortune will be celebrated by myself and many others.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

This. Ending the season early when relegation, promotion and other things are up for grabs is the least fair and sensible thing to do. You can't give Celtic the title when they can still be caught and you can't relegate a team that could easily pull away from the bottom with one or two wins. What happens to the money awarded for league positions for a start if teams end the league having played fewer games or having had more games vs certain teams? Total can of worms.

Closed door games has to be the solution and I'm guessing the SFA is hoping that gets delayed as long as possible. Maybe they could even have coin tosses to decide the last few games without playing them. Otherwise, they just have to void this season or come up with something imaginative like league reconstruction.

No longer active
6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

The seethe for St Mirren is quite silly. They may well have had a few tinkers in their team that day who never tried but to still be going on about it now is sad. 

Fair play to folks from that neck of the woods who support their local team. 

We still couldn’t beat Dundee that day!

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

Ken. Ridiculous to blame another team. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

No, what's ridiculous is accepting it's fine for a team to down tools to help another team. Which as everyone who was around then knows is what several St Mirren players did. Us and Celtic were going for the title. Dundee were going for Europe. Half the St Mirren team were playing for a Celtic title win.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

This. Ending the season early when relegation, promotion and other things are up for grabs is the least fair and sensible thing to do. You can't give Celtic the title when they can still be caught and you can't relegate a team that could easily pull away from the bottom with one or two wins. What happens to the money awarded for league positions for a start if teams end the league having played fewer games or having had more games vs certain teams? Total can of worms.

Closed door games has to be the solution and I'm guessing the SFA is hoping that gets delayed as long as possible. Maybe they could even have coin tosses to decide the last few games without playing them. Otherwise, they just have to void this season or come up with something imaginative like league reconstruction.

How appropriate would that be for a shower of tossers?😄

8 hours ago, newbie said:

I can think of at least one of the personnel from then who is still on the payroll.

:leveinproblem:

Edited by graygo

29 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

Several decisions went against us, Sandy Clark's penalty claim inside the first 5 mins was one.

20 minutes ago, graygo said:

I can think of at least one of the personnel from then who is still on the payroll.

:leveinproblem:

:isee:

Ricardo Quaresma
19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Several decisions went against us, Sandy Clark's penalty claim inside the first 5 mins was one.

People seem to forget the mysterious food poisoning on the eve of this match;  the entire team were very ill, doubted over by all accounts

41 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

See for yourself

Weakened Offender
40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No, what's ridiculous is accepting it's fine for a team to down tools to help another team. Which as everyone who was around then knows is what several St Mirren players did. Us and Celtic were going for the title. Dundee were going for Europe. Half the St Mirren team were playing for a Celtic title win.

I'm not accepting its fine at all. I just only blame one group of players for not winning the league that day, ours. I also feel its silly to hold a 30 odd year grudge over a club whose fans all wanted us to win the league that day. 

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

People seem to forget the mysterious food poisoning on the eve of this match;  the entire team were very ill, doubted over by all accounts

See for yourself

I don't need to watch the highlights from that match, I was at the other one. The main match that day. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm not accepting its fine at all. I just only blame one group of players for not winning the league that day, ours. I also feel its silly to hold a 30 odd year grudge over a club whose fans all wanted us to win the league that day. 

Nothing silly about it. It was disgraceful from St Mirren. It's OK to both acknowledge we had it in our own hands (St Mirren also beat us 6-2 earlier that season) and also accept that a series of events conspired against us that day - illness, a major reffing decision and - mostly - St MIrren's actions. I mean Celtic got the goals they needed in the first half. It was ridiculous.

St Mirren were a good team that season. Look at their results in the lead up to that Celtic game, watch the highlights of their game vs Celtic and then come back and say there's no reason to hold a grudge. It's not a conspiracy theory. These things have happened in football before. Refs have been bribed. Whole teams have been bought off. Individual players, perhaps with a gambling problem for example, have been bought off. Leagues and games have been fixed in football in the past. There's no way Scotland is immune, and this was one example where, at best, some St Mirren players who supported Celtic very possibly decided do their team a favour by forgetting how to tackle, pass and shoot for an afternoon. That's what it looked like anyhow. It was like a bounce game for Celtic.

Edited by ToqueJambo