3 up front

JamboAl

Stendel has said in the press he intends going with Washington, Naismith and Boyce up front.  Ignoring the merits or otherwise of this, it does not seem a good idea to publiicise his plan before a very important game.  It seems to me it is one step short of sending Goodwin our team sheet.

1 minute ago, kila said:

:laugh2:

I don't think Naismith will start tomorrow night...

Why ?

I know he has missed chances but he has created goals for us as well.

Wish we would stop being so open about these things too, tbh.

That aside. That must be the best front three we have had in quite a while.

David McCaig

Worrying if true, given that our two best performances of the season in the Rangers and Hibs games have come playing a rigid, disciplined 442 which is clearly atypical to Stendel's preferred style of football.

The 4-3-3 in the 2nd Half on Saturday was more akin to a 4-1-5 and seems more like a fantasy of Jimmy Calderwood than a plausible long term strategy... especially away from home.

We have 3 top class international strikers in Naismith, Boyce and Washington, but for me it should be very much a case of perm 2 from 3.

To have these 3 plus Walker on the pitch at the same time seems naïve in the extreme.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Why ?

I know he has missed chances but he has created goals for us as well.

Quantity of games, though he has played a lot more consecutively than I was expecting

4 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

That aside. That must be the best front three we have had in quite a while.

Indeed.

Not quite Robbo, JC and Sandy but pretty damn good all the same.

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Indeed.

It helped that they had Kenny Black, Iain Jardine and Neil Berry working hard behind them and JC gave that formation natural width.

Just now, Morgan said:

Indeed.

Not quite Janny, Bednar & Skacel either. We should really start regularly out-scoring teams with those three as our options up front though.

It's quite an interesting article:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-reveals-hearts-plan-play-liam-boyce-steven-naismith-conor-washington-together-2440862

To be fair, the manager is simply quoted as saying it is an option not that that will be our starting line up. If you trawl through other articles from recent weeks, you'll see that what he says to the press isn't always reflected in his selection.

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of the change of shape second half against Motherwell with Boyce and Naismith both in an advanced midfield role as it didn't suit Boyce in particular. He gave his best but I'd rather have him up top with Washington.

We didn't have 3 up front. We had one up front with two wingers plus Naismith and Boyce all trying to support Washington. It was exciting but all a bit chaotic. Would prefer a bit more control with Bozanic in midfield, Washington left, Moore right and Boyce and Naismith up front.

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Not quite Janny, Bednar & Skacel either. We should really start regularly out-scoring teams with those three as our options up front though.

If we ‘out-score’ St McGarvey 5-4 on Wednesday, that would do me!

3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

It helped that they had Kenny Black, Iain Jardine and Neil Berry working hard behind them and JC gave that formation natural width.

Yes.

How under-rated was Iain Jardine btw?

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes.

How under-rated was Iain Jardine btw?

Exceptionally!!

11 goals from 70 games as well.

Edited by David McCaig

17 minutes ago, kila said:

Quantity of games, though he has played a lot more consecutively than I was expecting

Could well be right

The thread was meant to be about whether we should be open with our team plans not who was best, worst or whatever.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The thread was meant to be about whether we should be open with our team plans not who was best, worst or whatever.

Sorry, Al.

:rolleyes:

been here before
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Cool.

Iain Jardine was a very underated player though. Square jawed, sensible hair but nae nonsense. Pooped up with a goal or two as well.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He never said what is quoted in the op, only that it was an option.

Ainsley Harriott
28 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

That aside. That must be the best front three we have had in quite a while.

The only front 3 we've had in a while. Nobody else would play 3 up top.

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

The only front 3 we've had in a while. Nobody else would play 3 up top.

Yeah, JJ maybe the last to do it? Kyle, Elliott and Skacel? Maybe Sergio with Beattie, Skacel and Elliott.

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Cool.

Iain Jardine was a very underated player though. Square jawed, sensible hair but nae nonsense. Pooped up with a goal or two as well.

You’ll get a row for that.

Stick to topic please.

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

But for which team?? 

Head says Hearts.

Heart says Hearts.

Playing Naismith, Boyce and Washington up top is not the problem, it is getting balls to them from midfield.  Backward or forward the midfield is week.  Play 3 strikers is all well and good if Hearts had a decent "No 10" distributing passes to the strikers.  Bozanic should be the midfield general but he plays deep and drifts out of the game too often.   

Who then: Bozanic? Clare? Walker? Irving? etc.?   

I think Stendel plays his cards even closer to his chest than Levein. How often do we see the team sheet an hour before kick off and get a surprise or three? He doesn't give a lot away in advance and looks genuinely surprised at press conferences when journalists ask him for team news.

This is just one of many options available to him. Goodwin would have been aware of that from watching the second half on Motherwell. I very much doubt it's how we'll start in Paisley.

And calling it 3 up front is misleading. It is more of a 4 1 4 1 with Boyce and Naismith playing as attacking midfielders.

Heres Rixxy
42 minutes ago, kila said:

:laugh2:

I don't think Naismith will start tomorrow night...

I can guarantee none of Naismith, Boyce OR Washington will start tomorrow night. I'd even put my house on it. 

Just now, Heres Rixxy said:

I can guarantee none of Naismith, Boyce OR Washington will start tomorrow night. I'd even put my house on it. 

:isee:

gashauskis9

I hope this is a bluff because tactically I don’t think it will work.  Sacrificing a midfielder in a game like this is suicidal, especially when there are still some clear defensive frailties.

Keep going on about this, but I’m not apologising.  Confidence builds from the back to the front.  Sort out the defensive calamities, and all of a sudden midfielders play with confidence and expression.  When this happens, your attacking players will flourish and the goals will come.  All our attack is not the answer.

47 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Worrying if true, given that our two best performances of the season in the Rangers and Hibs games have come playing a rigid, disciplined 442 which is clearly atypical to Stendel's preferred style of football.

The 4-3-3 in the 2nd Half on Saturday was more akin to a 4-1-5 and seems more like a fantasy of Jimmy Calderwood than a plausible long term strategy... especially away from home.

We have 3 top class international strikers in Naismith, Boyce and Washington, but for me it should be very much a case of perm 2 from 3.

To have these 3 plus Walker on the pitch at the same time seems naïve in the extreme.

You're right, stendel should have made no subs and settled fir the 1-0 defeat. 

It's almost as if we looked more likely to score goals in the 2nd half after the changes than we did in the first half. 

19 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I think Stendel plays his cards even closer to his chest than Levein. How often do we see the team sheet an hour before kick off and get a surprise or three? He doesn't give a lot away in advance and looks genuinely surprised at press conferences when journalists ask him for team news.

This is just one of many options available to him. Goodwin would have been aware of that from watching the second half on Motherwell. I very much doubt it's how we'll start in Paisley.

And calling it 3 up front is misleading. It is more of a 4 1 4 1 with Boyce and Naismith playing as attacking midfielders.

Aye it was obvious Boyce and Naismith were playing behind Washington. 

Ainsley Harriott
25 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Yeah, JJ maybe the last to do it? Kyle, Elliott and Skacel? Maybe Sergio with Beattie, Skacel and Elliott.

Definitely not since Sergio anyway. Agree that washington, boyce and naismith is a belter of a front 3

Edited by Ainsley Harriott

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'd go as close as I could to the Easter Road team. How the legs are is going to be important, win the battles we win the war. 3 up front can wait a wee while longer for me

8 minutes ago, Barack said:

If it's Boyce and Washington up top, with Naismith deeper...great.

We've not signed Boyce to be a link player. Washington is occupying defenders and creating space. Exactly where Boyce should be.

This. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

:lol: 

Imagine getting a ticking off on an anonymous football forum.  :wow:

The shame of it.  :biggrin:

WheatfieldWarrior

An announcement at this stage may very well be an attempt to influence / disrupt the preparation of the opposition.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.

2 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

An announcement at this stage may very well be an attempt to influence / disrupt the preparation of the opposition.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.

Converseley, the announcement might scare the living daylights out of the opposition!

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Maybe the weather has been a factor but it’s been more high and long from us in the last 3 matches. 

I wonder if we’ll go back to getting the ball down with more focus on that again? His change v Motherwell at half time suggests DS saw we had to adjust back to that style and it brought the equaliser.

It looked a game too far for the Boz/Damour combination which is pretty limited when it comes to creativeness. We need our better technical players slotted back in for Wed I think. 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Stendel has said in the press he intends going with Washington, Naismith and Boyce up front.  Ignoring the merits or otherwise of this, it does not seem a good idea to publiicise his plan before a very important game.  It seems to me it is one step short of sending Goodwin our team sheet.

No he's not he's said it is a good option. You cannot just read headlines in Scottish papers.

image.png.8da955358eb9b64648dbf10fe1a041e4.png

Kidd’s Boots

Posted this on the official match thread 

I think the system can accommodate Wash Boyce and Naismith if we are sacrificing  Bozanic as on Saturday. Losing Clare early didn’t help the balance on the right. Naismith playing off the front two works better imo with Damour now more comfortable in the holding role. Smith/ Clare Hickey/Moore are working well now as units on the right and left which allows us 442 433 4141 325 depending on how the gaffer sees the game going. The last 3 games Sevco, Hubs and ‘Well couldn’t cope with the press or changing of formation, I lost count of the number of times they all made bad passes either straight out for a throw in or to us. On Wednesday if we can have the strongest team with all the above fit we have enough to take care of getting 3 points out of this. (Brain farts excluded!!)

Deans Jambo

Boyce doesn't look fit. Need to control the midfield. So I'd go with this 4-3-3, Walker can provide width if required. 

Washington,  Naismith,  Walker

Bozanic, Irving, Damour

Hickey, Dikamona, Halkett, Smith

Bobby.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

He never said what is quoted in the op, only that it was an option.

Granted - but the report also said "he was preparing to deploy".

Either way it could be a help to the opposition.

2 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

It was clearly 4-1-4-1 second half . 

been here before

Can everyone please stop pointing out that the OP is slavering and that Stendal has said and done no such thing as intimated in the OP.

"The thread was meant to be about whether we should be open with our team plans not who was best, worst or whatever".

Im telling you this so the OP doesnt have to give you all a row.... again.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The clear and obvious answer to that is NO. However he didn’t specifically reveal a team plan. Everybody and his dug knows that we are limited up front and if Boyce Washington and Naismith are fully fit these days, they’re all starting in forward roles although not necessarily a front 3. We won’t start with a front 3 vs St Mirren either. Might turn into that if we get in trouble. He’s played a front 4 and even a 5 at stages of games already.