Washing machine recall

Vlad Magic

It appears the model of washing machine I own is affected by the product recall due to fire risk.

Its a Hotpoint WMFUG 742P UK

I registered it online and was informed that this model is being recalled and replaced due to said fire risk.

Just seeing if anyone else on here has been through the process and how quickly and effectively it was completed?

Thanks

I had a tumble drier that was one of the recalled models. Process was very straightforward, all done on the internet and payment was made quickly after the machine was collected.

19 minutes ago, Cheile said:

I had a tumble drier that was one of the recalled models. Process was very straightforward, all done on the internet and payment was made quickly after the machine was collected.

What payment was involved?

40 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

What payment was involved?

When I registered my recalled machine on the Whirlpool website I was offered the choice of a credit to wards a new machine or a payment, both values were dependent on the age of the recalled machine. I chose  the payment option.

55 minutes ago, Cheile said:

When I registered my recalled machine on the Whirlpool website I was offered the choice of a credit to wards a new machine or a payment, both values were dependent on the age of the recalled machine. I chose  the payment option.

So no like for like replacement then?

4 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Well no. You’re getting a flammable one for one that isn’t. If you like the flame setting keep your current one. 

But seriously, I’m surprised by that.

“Hey we fecked up and potentially put you and your families lives at risk. But here, get yourself a shiter machine. You’re welcome.”

7 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

There was for me, had the choice of a like for like replacement or money towards another model. I took the like for like and got a brand new machine with full warranty. Our old one was about 5 years old.

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

No danger I was having another Whirlpool machine in the house!

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

I still have mine. I want a silver replacement. They only offer white.

Are you mental? A white one that won't burn your house to the ground is better than a gold plated one that will. 

12 minutes ago, Cheile said:

No danger I was having another Whirlpool machine in the house!

What did you get?

Quite a few brands are made by Whirlpool.

Same model as mine but not every unit on each model number is affected.    The serial number is required to determine if it's within the recall.    Mine was not.    You'll see the serial inside the door.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Same model as mine but not every unit on each model number is affected.    The serial number is required to determine if it's within the recall.    Mine was not.    You'll see the serial inside the door.

Yup.

I went through the whole online registration process including the serial number and door lock mechanism type.

It confirmed that mine is defective.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Yup.

I went through the whole online registration process including the serial number and door lock mechanism type.

It confirmed that mine is defective.

Pity.  I think you can choose a repair or replacement.    No idea re timescales.    You'll be ok to carry on with 20 degree cycles though which is fine for refreshing clothes,  etc.     

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Are you mental? A white one that won't burn your house to the ground is better than a gold plated one that will. 

I dont use it at present.

I just want one that matches my other appliances. I bought silver so give me silver you fire starting miscreants! 

46 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I dont use it at present.

I just want one that matches my other appliances. I bought silver so give me silver you fire starting miscreants! 

If there's money on offer then I'd take it and buy a Bosch instead.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

What did you get?

Quite a few brands are made by Whirlpool.

Didn't buy another tumble drier, may do in the future and will be very, very careful about which brand I get.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

If there's money on offer then I'd take it and buy a Bosch instead.

£50...Not even close to half for a semi decent replacement. 

39 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

What's a half decent replacement?

Bosch have a recall on gas hobs and dishwashers just now.

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

That's a shocker, is it really old?

The main board in the washer dryer that came with my place just gave up so rather than spend money on a so so machine I've replaced it at the cost of a small fortune. £50 doesn't come close to half a replacement.