31 years ago

Skippy Doodle

1 hour ago, mellors1874 said:

atmosphere was electric that night and when the goal went in the noise was unreal

great night 

Never ever forget the atmosphere that night, followed by a close second, the Atletico Madrid game 

The only European game I remember having that type of atmosphere was the Stuttgart game under JJ ... Big Petric that night .. nearly had a heart attack .. 

Atmosphere was electric at all 3 games .. never had the fortune to be at the Locomotive Leipzig game in the 70’s ... old man still maintains it was the best atmosphere yet! 

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Never ever forget the atmosphere that night, followed by a close second, the Atletico Madrid game 

The only European game I remember having that type of atmosphere was the Stuttgart game under JJ ... Big Petric that night .. nearly had a heart attack .. 

Atmosphere was electric at all 3 games .. never had the fortune to be at the Locomotive Leipzig game in the 70’s ... old man still maintains it was the best atmosphere yet! 

That was a strange game as it had a very late kickoff for german tv iirc. 

3 hours ago, mellors1874 said:

atmosphere was electric that night and when the goal went in the noise was unreal

great night 

Agree. Those were the days.

Also remember you had to get a coupon from 3 home games in order to qualify for a ticket for the Bayern Munich game.

Just now, CostaJambo said:

Also remember you had to get a coupon from 3 home games in order to qualify for a ticket for the Bayern Munich game.

Don’t remember that. I do remember a wee bit of grumbling because it was 10 sheets a brief.

Fast forward 25 odd years and £40 forLiverpool !

Ouch !

In a list of favourite games though, Bayern is probably in the top 5. Top 3 maybe !

3 hours ago, poultry said:

Remember it well, I was at the back of the goals in the school end when Ferguson rattled it in, what a night.

Me too :2thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I've never forgiven Petric for the sitter he missed that night.

It should have been ten

Remember it like yesterday. Was right behind the goal, great view as it hit the back of the net. Not a patch on Snodin’s free kick though imo.

I was in the Gorgie road end up against the corragated fence. What an atmosphere , result and night.

31 years ago.:21:

Edited by Hector Riva

Just now, It should have been ten said:

Remember it like yesterday. Was right behind the goal, great view as it hit the back of the net. Not a patch on Snodin’s free kick though imo.

That was another great night.

Gorgie Rd end that night.

A goal fit to win any game !

56 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Not quite right. Season ticket holders and those who attended the three home games prior qualified for a £1 per game discount.

Terracing tickets were £10 full price, down to £7 if you held a season ticket or attended all three and qualified for a full discount. 

1 hour ago, CostaJambo said:

The vouchers from 3 category b games during, iirc, January and February got you a discount, CJ.  £7 instead of £10. Still have the £7 ticket.

The standard terracing price that season was £3 for category b and £4 for a. There was a bit of grumbling about the mark up but it was all money to the club (split with Bayern over the two legs, presumably) and I doubt it stopped anyone from attending.

A unique night at Tynecastle and winning the game was fantastic.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That was a strange game as it had a very late kickoff for german tv iirc. 

You could very well be right. 👍

54 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Not quite right. Season ticket holders and those who attended the three home games prior qualified for a £1 per game discount.

Terracing tickets were £10 full price, down to £7 if you held a season ticket or attended all three and qualified for a full discount. 

That'll teach me to read all posts before replying to someone. Spot on, Shaggy.

I attended pretty much all home games (and most away) at that time but only occasionally held an ST. It didn't seem to be the norm back then. I think ST sales were typically low for all clubs in those days.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I've never forgiven Petric for the sitter he missed that night.

Too true. It was harder for him to miss than score.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Brilliant game. If only JC had scored across there.....

Also Robbo missed one with a glancing header in the last 10 minutes that would have put us through on away goals

20 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It was a half volley, on the turn with the ball coming down off his chest. 12 yards from goal.

A complete myth that it was a 'sitter'. I wouldn't back any of the players in our current squad to score it.

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, Boab said:

That was another great night.

Gorgie Rd end that night.

A goal fit to win any game !

Absolutely 👍🏼

Was out in the Persian Gulf aboard Hms Andromeda at the time. Had to settle for 30 minutes commentary of each game from the BBC world service. Great hearing the commentator state. Hearts Britain's last remaining representatives in Europe.

6 hours ago, poultry said:

Remember it well, I was at the back of the goals in the school end when Ferguson rattled it in, what a night.

Same here, I was right in line with the six yard box line, I'll never forget that night.

Sawdust Caesar
7 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

This is how it’s done Chelsea 

i'm at work just now so I watched it with the subtitles on. There are some strange interpretations for what the commentator is saying. 

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

It was a half volley, on the turn with the ball coming down off his chest. 12 yards from goal.

A complete myth that it was a 'sitter'. I wouldn't back any of the players in our current squad to score it.

He had more time than he thought. 😎

Funny how the Petric chance is so well remembered along with JC’s in the away leg yet Big Davie’s “pass back” in the first leg that would have put us 2-0 up is largely forgotten.

Probably a far better chance than either but shows the anamolies of two legged football. There’s certain times to do things as Copenhagen showed last night. 😀

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

It wasn't a sitter. 

It was the fact he cleared Gorgie  and hit a sataliete with his horrible attempt that made it seem worse. 

6 hours ago, Boab said:

Don’t remember that. I do remember a wee bit of grumbling because it was 10 sheets a brief.

Fast forward 25 odd years and £40 forLiverpool !

Ouch !

In a list of favourite games though, Bayern is probably in the top 5. Top 3 maybe !

From what I recall, Wallace Mercer said that if we wanted Robbo back from Newcastle then he would put the Bayern ticket price up to a tenner to pay for it...think it was usually about £6.50 or so prior to that.

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Smith

Mclaren

Levein

McPherson

Mckinlay

Don't think we will see a stronger back 5.

Agreed.  International CH pairing around that time as well.  

5 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Correct. Our players miss 2-3 of those on average every game, under less pressure.

6 hours ago, Martin_T said:

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It wasn't a sitter. 

It was the fact he cleared Gorgie  and hit a sataliete with his horrible attempt that made it seem worse. 

Gents. I’ll give you both that. It wasn’t a sitter. It seemed worse when I thought about it earlier to be fair.👍

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Gents. I’ll give you both that. It wasn’t a sitter. It seemed worse when I thought about it earlier to be fair.👍

Missing by 400ft was a fair effort tho. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Missing by 400ft was a fair effort tho. 

For sure. I just had him in my head much closer to the keeper and the goal when it happened 

Not a sitter but should have scored 

What a night though 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

For sure. I just had him in my head much closer to the keeper and the goal when it happened 

Not a sitter but should have scored 

What a night though 

Yeah, great game. 

He had more time. 

Tbh, if Petric had pulled that down and half volleyed it into the tc, Tynecastle would have been stunned.inti silence. 

It wasn't somthing I'd seen him do or ever threaten to do. 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I was at all three - the Bayern game takes the biscuit due to the reputation of that team.

7 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I was at all three - the Bayern game takes the biscuit due to the reputation of that team.

100% .. Think the fact that being in the shed definitely means the Bayern game was tops ... for me anyway ... that’s the most mental I ever remember the support going at a game after a goal .... only Adams strike topped that 😀 ... great memories indeed 

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, great game. 

He had more time. 

Tbh, if Petric had pulled that down and half volleyed it into the tc, Tynecastle would have been stunned.inti silence. 

It wasn't somthing I'd seen him do or ever threaten to do. 😂😂😂

Lol ... can still remember his marauding runs from defence ...it gave me the fear 😊

been here before
On 28/02/2020 at 13:40, Phage said:

Ferguson's free kick unobstructed would have hit me in the face that night.

Great night- probably the best I experiencrd in the old ground but Ferguson never scored from a free kick.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Great night- probably the best I experiencrd in the old ground but Ferguson never scored from a free kick.

Would the Ministry of Pedantrae accept, free kick being re-phrased as "set peice"?