When are you married?

Boof

Just had a thought today...at my wedding we had a religious ceremony, signed the bit of paper then had to ensure someone gave some relevant documentation to the registrar within a certain time period.

My question is...were we officially married as soon as we'd signed that bit of paper in the kirk or say, for whatever reason, it never made it to the registrar...would we have been  not married? Or married and just had a bit of a paper chase to make it official?

Question prompted by a colleague's revelation that she's a minister of the church of the flying spaghetti monster...

Shanks said no

If it’s a proper church or registry office 

How to marry

You can get married by a civil ceremony or a religious ceremony.

In both cases, the following legal requirements must be met:-

• the marriage must be conducted by a person or in the presence of a person authorised to register marriages in the district
  • the marriage must be entered in the marriage register and signed by both parties, two witnesses, the person who conducted the ceremony and, if that person is not authorised to register marriages, the person who is registering the marriage.

been here before
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Just had a thought today...at my wedding we had a religious ceremony, signed the bit of paper then had to ensure someone gave some relevant documentation to the registrar within a certain time period.

My question is...were we officially married as soon as we'd signed that bit of paper in the kirk or say, for whatever reason, it never made it to the registrar...would we have been  not married? Or married and just had a bit of a paper chase to make it official?

Question prompted by a colleague's revelation that she's a minister of the church of the flying spaghetti monster...

Probably the bit where they say 'I now pronounce you...'. Thats why there has to be witnesses. The paperwork is just a record of what has taken place.

55 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If it’s a proper church or registry office 

How to marry

You can get married by a civil ceremony or a religious ceremony.

In both cases, the following legal requirements must be met:-

• the marriage must be conducted by a person or in the presence of a person authorised to register marriages in the district
  • the marriage must be entered in the marriage register and signed by both parties, two witnesses, the person who conducted the ceremony and, if that person is not authorised to register marriages, the person who is registering the marriage.

The bit in red is what I wondered.

Are you officially married as soon as that bit of paper has been signed by the final signatory? Or is it when that bit of paper makes it to the registrar and they register it?

Knowing the answer really isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to my life - just one more of those idle musings that afflict me from time to time. :D 

2 hours ago, Boof said:

I wondered exactly the same thing and asked a minister when was the actual moment when the deed was done, no backing out etc.

He didn’t know!

I’d have thought, since it’s a legal thing, it’s when the register has been signed by both parties and the signatures witnessed?

Edited by FWJ

48 minutes ago, Boof said:

The bit in red is what I wondered.

Are you officially married as soon as that bit of paper has been signed by the final signatory? Or is it when that bit of paper makes it to the registrar and they register it?

Knowing the answer really isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to my life - just one more of those idle musings that afflict me from time to time. :D 

It's a done deal as soon as the officiant declared "I now pronounce you husband and husband".

Always enjoyed visits from missionaries and discussing themes along these lines. Think the Mormons blacklisted me, and the Jehovas have went quiet. Looking forward to Spaghetti worshippers darkening my door in the near future to discuss the issues Boof has brought to the table. 

I got married in a RC church in Belgium, to a Dutch woman, in a ceremony in Flemish, French, Dutch and Latin. 

I'm CoS, uni-lingual and, 30 years on, still not sure what the feck was going on. 😅

Edited by martoon

The whole concept is a bit weird isn't it. Genuinely no idea why its given some sort of gravitas and you get all sorts of financial and social benefits. 

Humans are strange creatures. 

4 hours ago, martoon said:

I got married in a RC church in Belgium, to a Dutch woman, in a ceremony in Flemish, French, Dutch and Latin. 

I'm CoS, uni-lingual and, 30 years on, still not sure what the feck was going on. 😅

Flemish and dutch?

10 hours ago, Smack said:

Always enjoyed visits from missionaries and discussing themes along these lines. Think the Mormons blacklisted me, and the Jehovas have went quiet. Looking forward to Spaghetti worshippers darkening my door in the near future to discuss the issues Boof has brought to the table. 

My mate in Lithgy used to invite them into his home and play them at their own game. There were 2 Mormon girls in Livingston and tbh they were very pretty and definitely worth "it". They both came to my door and after I revealed my intrigue in Satanism they soon left  :(

6 hours ago, The Brow said:

The whole concept is a bit weird isn't it. Genuinely no idea why its given some sort of gravitas and you get all sorts of financial and social benefits. 

Humans are strange creatures. 

Would love to know what the financial and social benefits are

Edited by IronJambo

19 hours ago, Boof said:

When she places your gonads in her purse....!

41 minutes ago, gjcc said:

What about sex offenders?..

...Asking for a fiend. 

Maybe they could just be dead registered as dead.

Oh, and FTFY :D 

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Flemish and dutch?

The same language, Smithee, but in practical terms, dialect, accent...often a marked difference. 

Regardless, it was all Dutch to me on the day. :rolleyes5:

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

The same language, Smithee, but in practical terms, dialect, accent...often a marked difference. 

Regardless, it was all Dutch to me on the day. :rolleyes5:

I only recently heard Flemish properly, it was weird! Recognisable dutch words but the accent meant I could only pick out bits and bobs. 

I just cant imagine it being done in dutch and Flemish, surely it would be like doing a service in American then Australian English?

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I only recently heard Flemish properly, it was weird! Recognisable dutch words but the accent meant I could only pick out bits and bobs. 

I just cant imagine it being done in dutch and Flemish, surely it would be like doing a service in American then Australian English?

I'm not actually saying it was, bud. It was just a sweeping statement that there was a lot said, in various languages, and I only understood the occasional, and pertinent, English that was aimed towards me. The priest was actually Italian and his English was modest but just good enough for me to follow.  Add the Latin and a touch of interpreted French for some guests and it was all a little overwhelming.

Dont regret it for a second though and we're still together 30 years on, give or take, from meeting and the big, baffling day itself. 👍

Just now, martoon said:

I'm not actually saying it was, bud. It was just a sweeping statement that there was a lot said, in various languages, and I only understood the occasional, and pertinent, English that was aimed towards me. The priest was actually Italian and his English was modest but just good enough for me to follow.  Add the Latin and a touch of interpreted French for some guests and it was all a little overwhelming.

Dont regret it for a second though and we're still together 30 years on, give or take, from meeting and the big, baffling day itself. 👍

Ah ok, I've obviously misunderstood 👍

7 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I got married abroad and didn't have to register it over here. So for me I guess it was when I signed the dotted line.

You should've registered it over here...

42 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You should've registered it over here...

You actually can't anymore.They changed it a few years ago. As long as you married according to the law in whatever country then it is legal in the UK.

23 hours ago, Boston Jambo said:

Marriage, it's not just a word, it's a sentence.

Marriage is an institution ... and who wants to live in an institution??

16 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Would love to know what the financial and social benefits are

Then you're doing it wrong. There's lot of financial breaks for married couples - least of all the ability to swap money between you both without the taxman asking. You can employ a spouse to do nothing to take advantage of their spare tax, all sorts of little tricks. The government loves marriage. 

Theres probably less social benefits now that I think about it as most folk dont really give a **** these days do they. Other than not having to shag your cellmate in jail. 

18 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

You actually can't anymore.They changed it a few years ago. As long as you married according to the law in whatever country then it is legal in the UK.

I didn't know that. 

13 hours ago, The Brow said:

Then you're doing it wrong. There's lot of financial breaks for married couples - least of all the ability to swap money between you both without the taxman asking. You can employ a spouse to do nothing to take advantage of their spare tax, all sorts of little tricks. The government loves marriage. 

Ha. Good for you that one of you has spare tax allowance. Me "employing" my Mrs or the other way around isn't going to work for either of us. We don't even get child benefit for our kids!

You got any tricks that work?