Hibs owner wants beer allowed at football matches...

Section Q

"Hibs owner quickly susses out that drinking copious amounts of alcohol during the match eases the pain of watching Hibs" 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Treasurer

• Section Q

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

If they can allow the English hooligans beer at the ground they can allow us it.

Correct, Jammy.

I was a semi regular as hospitality in the old stand for a number of years.

A quick pint or two and a smoked salmon sandwich at half time was always most enjoyable.

Wee Ron and his grand plan for the Hubs. So currently our turnover is five million more than that mob despite their alleged near sell out crowds every other week. Are they still giving thousands of tickets away for nowt. Big screen new tannoy and disco lights the hobos will be creaming themselves with their new signings. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I've never understood the real need for bevvy at football matches. Surely folk can go a couple of hours without a drink and enjoy the match.

Fine for those that are responsible but it will be those that abuse it that spoil it for the many.

**** me, I am getting old!

I agree, it's hardly make or break if you don't get a drink. 

However, seat service at Munich was brilliant. 

Never moved, 5 pints and two hot dogs. 

Brilliant 

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, tian447 said:

"Hibs owner quickly susses out that drinking copious amounts of alcohol during the match eases the pain of watching Hibs" 

With that logic I want some disco biscuits on sale at Tynecastle. 

😉

1 hour ago, SM Sheffield said:

It works fine here in England, it is a good revenue raiser for clubs, and some of the fans down here often cause big trouble and are just as bad if not worse than those north of the border.

The solution is simple, just have it for certain games, or home fans only. At Hillsborough they don’t serve alcohol to Leeds fans, and fans of other clubs where there might be trouble. The same could easily be done at Tynecastle. There isn’t going to be trouble when Hearts are playing Ross County, Kilmarnock etc. Just ban Old Firm fans from drinking, don’t have alcohol at derbies, sorted!

Absolutely correct SM the sensible way to do it is to have a licensing system, administered by the local authority. For example Hearts playing Ross County would be granted a drink license whereas a Hearts Celtic game would not be granted a license. This would be a common sense approach rather than the puritanical and authoritarian system which is currently the case. I should add I only occasionally have a pint at the game nowadays but I think it's grossly unfair that middle class rugby types can have a pint but working class football supporters are committing a criminal offence if they drink alcohol in the stadium 

48 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

😉

As soon as I posted it, I thought..

"Hang on a second here..." 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Boris5115 said:

Wee Ron and his grand plan for the Hubs. So currently our turnover is five million more than that mob despite their alleged near sell out crowds every other week. Are they still giving thousands of tickets away for nowt.

Fairly obvious that Ron has worked out that the Hibs support is a bunch of ragged ersed idlers. Only surprise is that he hasn’t asked for permission  to sell cheap cider and brasso. 

4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Does this guy not realise that his own scummy fans are one of the biggest factors in why drinking at games is a long way off in this country

Our own fans aren't much different. Don't you go to away games....?

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, Section Q said:

I think the guy who replied to you was possibly hinting at the fact that Hibs fans invaded the pitch, started fights, broke the goalposts, broke the advertising boarding, smashed out their seats and took them home and wrecked the pitch at the national stadium in 2016. They have also had 3 high profile incidents this year alone - a fan running on pitch and confronting Rangers player and glass bottles thrown at players on more than one occasion. 

We might have some idiots in our crowd but Hibs fans are the filth of the planet IMO.

highlandjambo3

Here is my take on this:

1.  Don’t sell alcohol in the grounds at football matches.

= a.  Punters who want a drink pre & post match will continue to do so and, behave themselves at  
             the match.

b.  Wee jakeball neds who want to cause trouble will drink too much before the game, sneak  

booze in during the game, sing any songs they feel like, square up to punters who call them

out (only if said punters are 65+ and getting on a bit) and, generally make an arse of

themselves.

2.  Do sell alcohol in the grounds at football matches.

= see a & b above.

6 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I think the guy who replied to you was possibly hinting at the fact that Hibs fans invaded the pitch, started fights, broke the goalposts, broke the advertising boarding, smashed out their seats and took them home and wrecked the pitch at the national stadium in 2016. They have also had 3 high profile incidents this year alone - a fan running on pitch and confronting Rangers player and glass bottles thrown at players on more than one occasion. 

We might have some idiots in our crowd but Hibs fans are the filth of the planet IMO.

You're right matey we do have some idiots...!

The Treasurer
10 hours ago, Section Q said:

Yes I attend all away games.

Our fans are far from being angels but I can't recall them throwing glass bottles at players, challenging players to a fight, punching opposition players, invading the pitch and destroying the goalposts/advertising boards/pitch

It's little things like that that make them a wee bit "different"

The Treasurer
17 minutes ago, Section Q said:

You're right matey we do have some idiots...!

You seem very keen to highlight the problems with our own fans (which no-one is denying exist) but you just seem to gloss over the scummy behaviour of the wee team fans.

Why is that ?

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but has he said that he wants to double their turnover and his idea is to sell alcohol in the ground 😂

that seems to be the main (only) idea of his "vision"

Calebs Grandad
20 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Worthy of consideration. The original alcohol ban was more to stop folk taking drink to games.  I can’t remember any ground where you could actually buy it. 

Extra revenue for the clubs and more supporters in the stadiums prior to kick off time so certainly worth looking at I agree. Perhaps best avoid trialing it at the next Celtic v Rangers though or it will only come up for consideration again around 2050! 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
20 hours ago, Boab said:

I’m thinking more old firm games, derbies and the like.

For most games it really could work and bring in cash. Does already with fan bars etc !

Exactly. In the context of Tynecastle, you can already drink inside the ground before game in the bar, the difference with concourse drinking (which is the same as English football- sadly I don't think for British football there will ever be equivalent rules to rugby where people can take drinks to their seats) would be that you are already through the ticket barrier so it could mitigate against that 14.50-15.00 rush at the ticket barrier, and also allow for a pint at HT which particularly for away fans who are on a day out would be most welcome.

can't see why people are against this. Those who cant behave themselves at a football ground are unlikely to be the ones who pay premium prices for beer in a plastic cup inside the ground but the ones who overdo it in the pub/at home on the drink (or stronger substances). Then there are also many who might just be idiots who like singing sectarian songs or chucking bottles/coins at the pitch regardless of their consumption of alcohol or other substances

Scottish football is heavily reliant on income from gate receipts. Fans are complaining a lot at the moment about the prices they are being charged. The prospect of an away game at the moment involves not being allowed to drink on the bus/train or in the ground, whilst freezing your nuts off in terrible weather, and paying what many consider to be an expensive price for tickets to watch sub standard football. Needs to be a re-think

21 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

You can only drink in the concourse english games. 15 mins before HT and 15 after. It’s long overdue ffs. 

This.

Scotland has an American style prohibition attitude to alcohol treating everyone as if they have the same problems with it I find.

People buying drink at grounds are not going to suddenly change into a drunken arsehole after 1 pint at half time.

I've done a number of games in England and you barely have time to buy a pint, finish it and get back to your seat before half time is up.

Selling beer before the game would be competing with the pubs in Gorgie so I'm not convinced thats a big money spinner.  It works better in England where these newer football stadiums are not that close to the local pubs.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

You seem very keen to highlight the problems with our own fans (which no-one is denying exist) but you just seem to gloss over the scummy behaviour of the wee team fans.

Why is that ?

No I don't, but your response isn't surprising.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Yes I attend all away games.

Our fans are far from being angels but I can't recall them throwing glass bottles at players, challenging players to a fight, punching opposition players, invading the pitch and destroying the goalposts/advertising boards/pitch

It's little things like that that make them a wee bit "different"

👍

Nelly Terraces

Went to watch Seattle Sounders while on holiday there in July. Absolutely top drawer  experience I must say. I had a couple of pints from their craft beer bar (yes, they have a bar specifically for good brews, in fact they have more than one) while watching the game.

The entire match day experience was superb & miles better than going to Tynecastle, great atmos with loads of singing, everyone in the bit I was in standing up, absolutely amazing stadium & of course the beer helped though the fact it was fecking roasting weather might’ve increased my enjoyment on that front!

The Treasurer
23 minutes ago, Section Q said:

No I don't, but your response isn't surprising.

Pointing out the obvious shouldn't come as a surprise

The Treasurer
15 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Went to watch Seattle Sounders while on holiday there in July. Absolutely top drawer  experience I must say. I had a couple of pints from their craft beer bar (yes, they have a bar specifically for good brews, in fact they have more than one) while watching the game.

The entire match day experience was superb & miles better than going to Tynecastle, great atmos with loads of singing, everyone in the bit I was in standing up, absolutely amazing stadium & of course the beer helped though the fact it was fecking roasting weather might’ve increased my enjoyment on that front!

I'm sure a hot sunny day in Seattle would just about beat a cold Wednesday night in Scotland

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Pointing out the obvious shouldn't come as a surprise

Then it's obvious we too have some sh1t supporters. The op wasn't about Hibs fans it was about alcohol in Scottish football.

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Then it's obvious we too have some sh1t supporters. The op wasn't about Hibs fans it was about alcohol in Scottish football.

On your first point, if you read my post I agreed with this.

On your second point, the OP was about the hibs owner wanting alcohol at matches, I pointed out (correctly) that his own fans were a major factor in this being unlikely in the near future

Nelly Terraces
11 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm sure a hot sunny day in Seattle would just about beat a cold Wednesday night in Scotland

Errrr yeah, just a tad fella! Aside of the 6% IPA the entire day was top notch, they have a fans march from a local park to the ground, looked very impressive when it turned up outside the ground (we were sat in the sun enjoying a pre match slurp outside a bar just by the stadium), like you say guess the weather helped! Doubt I'd be enjoying downing a pint of overpriced lager while freezing my knackers off in the middle of a Scottish winter!:biggrin2:

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

😉

The Heath Ledgers were our staple at football matches throughout the '90's.

Far more agreeable than the council bingo that today's young team appear partial to.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Errrr yeah, just a tad fella! Aside of the 6% IPA the entire day was top notch, they have a fans march from a local park to the ground, looked very impressive when it turned up outside the ground (we were sat in the sun enjoying a pre match slurp outside a bar just by the stadium), like you say guess the weather helped! Doubt I'd be enjoying downing a pint of overpriced lager while freezing my knackers off in the middle of a Scottish winter!:biggrin2:

But was there any pavement dancing, Nelly?

All the beer, sunshine, and atmosphere in the world is *%$# all without the pavement dancing.

I believe if some arsehole is going to get smashed and cause chaos at a football match then they will do this in a sh1thole of a boozer with a crowd of like minded people, 2-3 pints before and after the game within the ground isn't going to mean Scottish football turns into a battleground.

I like his idea and I like the thought of the income it could generate for clubs.  If anybody has been to Newcastle will know what I mean, a huge indoor bar selling food with tables and the pre-match football on the screen with betting facilities.

Average attendance at tynecastle ~17k.

Lets say we make an average of £5 a head per person per game. Obviously some will spend 20-30, and some will spend none, but £5 is probably a good estimate, especially as some will probably enter the stadium 15-30 minutes earlier if there’s a pint waiting for them inside. 

£5 x 17,000 = £85,000

Say we average 19 league and 5 cups games a season at home 

£2,000,000 a season. That’s nearly 8 players on 5k a week, or 4 on 10k a week. If clubs our size can’t challenge in the europa league group stages with that extra kind of money then I don’t know if we ever will. 

1 minute ago, Dayman said:

Lets say we make an average of £5 a head per person per game. Obviously some will spend 20-30, and some will spend none, but £5 is probably a good estimate, especially as some will probably enter the stadium 15-30 minutes earlier if there’s a pint waiting for them inside. 

£5 x 17,000 = £85,000

£2,000,000 a season. That’s nearly 8 players on 5k a week, or 4 on 10k a week. If clubs our size can’t challenge in the europa league group stages with that extra kind of money then I don’t know if we ever will. 

The Foundation of Hearts Bar, add on 10% to every purchase as a donation to the foundation .... there's another £200k annually for nothing.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

On your first point, if you read my post I agreed with this.

On your second point, the OP was about the hibs owner wanting alcohol at matches, I pointed out (correctly) that his own fans were a major factor in this being unlikely in the near future

Please just go away...

Byyy The Light
21 hours ago, mulleted_jambo said:

People saying behaviour will be worse are just using that as an excuse. Currently you have people sneaking in bottles of bucky/whisky/vodka, I’ve seen folk doing lines of coke in the toilets during a game. Do you really think two or three pints of pisswater lager is really going to make a difference?? If people want to get smashed and behave like arseholes they will and beer in the ground won’t change that.

Spot on.  Won't change a thing.

'Ann Budge will be against this because she doesn't want adults to make their own decisions'

Ann Budge comes out in favour of it down the line

'she's in bed too much with Hibs who brought it up first'

Hissy fitter gonna hiss.

Edited by DETTY29

3 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

sadly I don't think for British football there will ever be equivalent rules to rugby where people can take drinks to their seats

Thank **** for that! I was at Murrayfield at few years ago for the NZ game, and spent the whole game getting up and down to allow people out or back to their seats with their drinks. Was a pain in the arse. Funniest thing was watching a guy stagger side to side up the stairs with a tray of 4 pints, sloshing them all over the place. By the time he got to his row there was about an inch of beer left in the glasses :lol: He probably had to go straight back out to get more.

Out of interest how are the drinks served at the Bar Zero Bar?  Plastic bottle or into a plastic glass?

Obvs legislation would need to be revoked first and then local licensing approval required but I think we at very least it should be trialed.  

Folk just need to understand it will be over priced, in plastic tumblers and you can only drink on the concourse.

Edited by DETTY29

Ainsley Harriott

Has he seen the way his scummy support have behaved in recent year? All beginning with a pitch invasion the likes of which haven't been seen since the 80s followed by player assaults and glass bottles flying across the pitch. Stick to the drug smuggling old Ron.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Thank **** for that! I was at Murrayfield at few years ago for the NZ game, and spent the whole game getting up and down to allow people out or back to their seats with their drinks. Was a pain in the arse. Funniest thing was watching a guy stagger side to side up the stairs with a tray of 4 pints, sloshing them all over the place. By the time he got to his row there was about an inch of beer left in the glasses :lol: He probably had to go straight back out to get more.

Yes actually on reflection I wouldn't fancy being covered in beer when we score at easter road etc :lol: 

On 27/02/2020 at 13:50, sadj said:

I was trying to work out this incredible revenue - say we have a sponsor so £1 per pint average as cost , say 5000 supporters would buy pints , average 2 pints , cost £4

sales £40000 cost £10000 profit £30000 x 19 games revenue - £570000

Thats prob the max less staff wages and misc £70000 

Net Revenue £500000

Not too bad but i think thats also being generous on what it would cost and games. 

In reality you would lose 6 games a year minimum Hibs , Celtic and Rangers (x2) 

So say 50k wages etc and income £390k

so still around £350000 boost to club revenue a season. 

5 hours ago, Dayman said:

£5 x 17,000 = £85,000

Amazing how differently people can see things

We won't make much money from sales but why not let people have a beer on the concourse. Not sure it should be allowed in the stands though.