Hibs owner wants beer allowed at football matches...

Section Q

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Treasurer

• Section Q

• davemclaren

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Based on no evidence whatsoever I’m not convinced this would be the case. I doubt people would get up to go for a pint whilst the game was ongoing and return from that pint, having missed 5 minutes of the game, to continue watching. I think it’s far more likely someone would go for a pint moments before half time - in a similar fashion to those who want to beat the queue at the kiosks or for the pisher. I’d wager that those looking for a pint on the 65 minute mark aren’t likely to return. 

I have my doubts about the popularity of pre match pints in the comfort of the concourse too. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to my seat from the diggers, less from the Tynie Arms and even less from (gulp) Stratties. All these boozers score much higher than the concourse for warmth, comfort, facilities and (presumably) variety of lager given that the options would likely be restricted by a sponsor. 

All these presumptions, if correct, render the ban pretty pointless.

So someone goes for a pint just before halftime, they then return to their seat a few minutes after halftime has started disturbing folk that are watching the game.  Then what happens a few minutes later?  That's right they need a pish so need to go back and forward disturbing everyone again :lol:

The majority of games we go to we will have a good drink before and after the game and I just don't see the point in being able to squeeze in another couple pints in the stadium.  

I'm probably just turning into a grumpy old man :lol:

been here before
36 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It is a no brainer for me.  Our owner would never go for it however as she treats us all like her 4 year old grandkids but in the real adult world drink is a big part of our society.  Most are responsible and should be able to have the choice whether to drink at the game or not. They want to charge the punter top dollar to watch a game of football but it is on their terms. 

The argument that it would encourage loutish behaviour and trouble does not wash with me.  People will be drinking before and after regardless of this rule and in my experience at a faster pace pre game to get them through the next 90 minutes dry spell.  As if this 90 minutes would have any impact to some little jakeballs agenda.

I would be up for a compromise and make it over 21s only or at least have a discussion about it.  The revenue would make an impact, of that I am sure.

So does the following...

Matchday tickets

Programme sales

Food sales

Hospitality

Subscribing to Hearts TV as opposed to leeching free internet streams

Buying stuff from the shop

FOH subs

But thanks to your ongoing sparkly princess hissy fit you choose to take no part in any of them so lets not pretend you give a **** about not contributing to another.

1 hour ago, kingm616 said:

The idiots could not be trusted to behave and only spoil it for the majority who could act like civilised adults. Never happen. Recipe for disaster if it did unfortunately.

Exactly , has he not seen what bother his so called supporters are like after a couple of sherbets ? Pitch invaders 'racists  serial bottle and coin throwers' goalie punchers ? Aye m8 get the beer in ! 🙈🙈🙈🆘👈👏👏👏👏🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

As a former season ticket holder at Newcastle i can say having a pint a half time was great. You get a pint before the match and at half time. You don't get tanked up in the stadium, it's too expensive ffs 😂. Thanks to the 2016 final, pretty put a end to it ever coming back.

We_are_the_Hearts
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Arseholes who love causing mayhem will love it.

Normal folk will be against it.

😂😂Normal folk...did you just type that lol

We_are_the_Hearts

All that happens now is some folk drink much more cause they know they won't get a drink at the match. And then others sneak it in. It wouldn't make any difference, all it would do is stop discriminating against football fans

1 hour ago, ...a bit disco said:

I'm in the above camp.

Old?

20 minutes ago, been here before said:

So does the following...

Matchday tickets

Programme sales

Food sales

Hospitality

Subscribing to Hearts TV as opposed to leeching free internet streams

Buying stuff from the shop

FOH subs

But thanks to your ongoing sparkly princess hissy fit you choose to take no part in any of them so lets not pretend you give a **** about not contributing to another.

I was trying to work out this incredible revenue - say we have a sponsor so £1 per pint average as cost , say 5000 supporters would buy pints , average 2 pints , cost £4

sales £40000 cost £10000 profit £30000 x 19 games revenue - £570000

Thats prob the max less staff wages and misc £70000 

Net Revenue £500000

Not too bad but i think thats also being generous on what it would cost and games. 

In reality you would lose 6 games a year minimum Hibs , Celtic and Rangers (x2) 

So say 50k wages etc and income £390k

so still around £350000 boost to club revenue a season. 

I think we are missing the important message in Ron's update.

By simply building a big screen you can increase turnover by 100%, who would have known it was so simple 🤣

1 minute ago, baxterd1974 said:

By simply building a big screen you can increase turnover by 100%, who would have known it was so simple 🤣

Surely not😮

It’s better to allow beer in the ground than have fans line up 2 or 3 double spirits at 10 to 3 and down them all then go to the game 

If they can allow the English hooligans beer at the ground they can allow us it.

fabienleclerq

"if you can't ho two hours without a drink" argument doesn't really fit tbh. 

Folk end up getting tanked up as they know they'll have to wait or take a bottle in with them. 

Fundamentally it's about choice and I should be able to choose if I want a beer or not. 

8 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

You probably can with turnover as low as Hibs.

It would make pretty much zero difference to the behaviour. It’s an easy option to use that as a reason for adults at one particular sport in this country can’t decide if they want a drink. 

Had drink at pre match and halftime at both Millwall & West Ham with no issues, are folk really saying fans of English clubs are capable of behaving better than fans of Scottish clubs. 

Lucky if it means 2 pints before the game which folk atm have in the pubs and one at half time, so essentially one additional beer/cider to what is consumed at the moment, difference being the clubs make additional money and means a more staggered(no pun intended) level of folk entering the ground rather than the last minute rush. 

Just now, Cade said:

Arseholes who love causing mayhem will love it.

Normal folk will be against it.

It’s cultural.

I watch a lot of football abroad. No problems whatsoever with drink on sale.

Enjoy it because I guess I am normal.

Scotland is not normal !

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s better to allow beer in the ground than have fans line up 2 or 3 double spirits at 10 to 3 and down them all then go to the game 

If they can allow the English hooligans beer at the ground they can allow us it.

You don’t think that would still happen?  😄

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Why? The only place where I have seen similar is Scandinavia where they buy bulk on the ferries as soon as the ship leaves the quayside.  The Finns are the worse offenders.  I have never understood the Scots propensity for booze before a football match. 

2 hours ago, Diego10 said:

An overpriced pint of weak lager in a plastic cup hasn't ruined English football somehow

I recall attending events in Europe where beer tents sold 'light' beer at 2% and at an exorbitant price.

1 hour ago, Longshanks said:

Folk back and forward to the bar and needing a pish you'd be up and down letting people past constantly.

Plenty boozers before and after the game to have a drink in, I really don't see the point

Good point.

I've never gone to a game on an average winter day and craved a cold drink. Maybe a cup of tea if I can be bothered to queue. A pint before or after in a warm pub, now you're talking.

mulleted_jambo

People saying behaviour will be worse are just using that as an excuse. Currently you have people sneaking in bottles of bucky/whisky/vodka, I’ve seen folk doing lines of coke in the toilets during a game. Do you really think two or three pints of pisswater lager is really going to make a difference?? If people want to get smashed and behave like arseholes they will and beer in the ground won’t change that.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Worthy of consideration. The original alcohol ban was more to stop folk taking drink to games.  I can’t remember any ground where you could actually buy it. 

the only one I sort of remember was Clydebank, they had a social club behind the goals and you could watch the game from there (memory might be playing tricks) when the ban came in they were ordered to close the curtains and lost a fair bit of revenue.

All for allowing it on the concourse pre match, less sure about during the game or half time. 

52581BE3-6B9E-41AE-BF14-E7B0C1247FC0.jpeg

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

joondalupjambo

Ron only ever going to look at initiatives that raises a lot of income because the only other option is to stump up personal cash and he will not be doing that.  

He is also probably going to come up with things that he sees in the USA or on his overseas travels, not new ideas just ones that we do not use here.

It will not take long for him to realise that Scottish football is a bit of a back water,  run by a bunch of idiots who will never have the hee haws to try something new and/or different.

I bet even some Hibs fans have him sussed already.  A lot of talk and ultimately little action or change.

24 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

the only one I sort of remember was Clydebank, they had a social club behind the goals and you could watch the game from there (memory might be playing tricks) when the ban came in they were ordered to close the curtains and lost a fair bit of revenue.

All for allowing it on the concourse pre match, less sure about during the game or half time. 

52581BE3-6B9E-41AE-BF14-E7B0C1247FC0.jpeg

Yip, I remember that. My experiences in England of getting a beer at the football  leave me a bit Meh about it, to be honest. 

3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I've never understood the real need for bevvy at football matches. Surely folk can go a couple of hours without a drink and enjoy the match.

Fine for those that are responsible but it will be those that abuse it that spoil it for the many.

**** me, I am getting old!

Same here. Couple pints before the match and I'm fine with that. 

Drinking pints in the ground I'd be back and forth to the bogs anaw

Ques are already absolutely massive in almost every stadium without the chance of getting a pint at half time.  ***** fighting and arguing over who is getting served first etc.  Aye nae bother Ron.  

2 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Folk back and forward to the bar and needing a pish you'd be up and down letting people past constantly.

Plenty boozers before and after the game to have a drink in, I really don't see the point

:spoton: 

It would be an absolute pain in the arse. Bad enough at Tynecastle with folk arriving late and people nipping off for a pie before the half-time rush.

Regularly have a pint at City.

That's it a pint pre match.

The bars close when the game starts and open for half time.

£4 for a lager and £4.50 for a fruit cider.

Both are decents pints.

10% off for season ticket holders.

Away games the young fans like to throw it about for some reason.

Think alcohol is their second drug of choice.

joondalupjambo
35 minutes ago, Hearts Daft said:

Don't disagree that Scottish football is run by idiots but the people who will make the decision are in Parliament and most of them have probably never been to a football match in their life. No doubt if football was more middle-class like Rugby there would be no problem but as for the current Scottish govt they are authoritarian in the extreme when it comes to football and the ordinary supporter. 

Yep but the first folk who he has to convince are the SFA I would have thought.  Then they take the proposal to other clubs, Police Scotland, Health and Safety and other relevant bodies then when they have concensus  the SFA would approach the Scottish Parliament.  That is why I cited the SFA but agree the Parly will have the final say.

3 hours ago, Barack said:

The WRU has a no-drinking zone now at the Principality, due to people getting fed up with getting up and down every 30 seconds to go for more drink, or go for a piss. About 4000 seats.

The state of some of the folk in there on match days, gives credible evidence to just ban it totally. 

Drinking in the stadium in Scotland...nah!

I've been to the principality and agree with your post.

4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I've never understood the real need for bevvy at football matches. Surely folk can go a couple of hours without a drink and enjoy the match.

Fine for those that are responsible but it will be those that abuse it that spoil it for the many.

**** me, I am getting old!

You may be getting on a bit old boy, but your words are wise.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Section Q said:

It has to come eventually 

, people drink before games anyway so it’s not like it stops drunk fans from getting in.

Scottish football as a whole has lost hundreds of millions of pounds from the ban, because of two equally horrible clubs who still profit from living in the past.

Edited by Pasquale for King

The Treasurer

Does this guy not realise that his own scummy fans are one of the biggest factors in why drinking at games is a long way off in this country

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Longshanks said:

So someone goes for a pint just before halftime, they then return to their seat a few minutes after halftime has started disturbing folk that are watching the game.  Then what happens a few minutes later?  That's right they need a pish so need to go back and forward disturbing everyone again :lol:

The majority of games we go to we will have a good drink before and after the game and I just don't see the point in being able to squeeze in another couple pints in the stadium.  

I'm probably just turning into a grumpy old man :lol:

That happens anyway, I have two guys in my row that arrive late, go before HT, back out at HT, back in after HT then leave early albeit one goes out the other end of the row as he’s closer to it 🤔🙈🤬👿?!?! Never says excuse just taps my shoulder like I should have eyes in the back of my head. Ignorant skinny *****. Annnnndddddd breathe 😆

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Does this guy not realise that his own scummy fans are one of the biggest factors in why drinking at games is a long way off in this country

It would save them taking glass bottles of buckfast in, they could get it in on draught 🤮

1 hour ago, Hearts Daft said:

Don't disagree that Scottish football is run by idiots but the people who will make the decision are in Parliament and most of them have probably never been to a football match in their life. No doubt if football was more middle-class like Rugby there would be no problem but as for the current Scottish govt they are authoritarian in the extreme when it comes to football and the ordinary supporter. 

These laws have been in place since the early 1980s and it was a Westminster Tory government that introduced it in response to riot at an OF cup final. 

The fans have to show they can be trusted to behave. 

Sadly they have misbehaved on many occasions and not just the OF fans. 

That's why football fans are treated differently imo. 

It works fine here in England, it is a good revenue raiser for clubs, and some of the fans down here often cause big trouble and are just as bad if not worse than those north of the border.

The solution is simple, just have it for certain games, or home fans only. At Hillsborough they don’t serve alcohol to Leeds fans, and fans of other clubs where there might be trouble. The same could easily be done at Tynecastle. There isn’t going to be trouble when Hearts are playing Ross County, Kilmarnock etc. Just ban Old Firm fans from drinking, don’t have alcohol at derbies, sorted!

Think it kinda funny folk moan about ticket prices, but apparently would be happy to pay for pints at the football that you know are going to be £6-7 each. Knowing Edinburgh, Underbelly would probably get the contract to run the bars. 😱😉

I used to think it would be great but no longer really see the point.

Go to a pub/fans bar before the game and then arrive 10 mins before kick off.

Return to pub/fan bar after match if required.

Not sure I really see the joy of knocking back a plastic pint of lager in 15 minutes at half time.

scott herbertson

I too, have changed my mind. I’m at capacity once I pitch up from stratties. Also takes me most of half time to get round to the bins for our half time meet up plus a. Toilet stop. Queuing for a 2% lager doesn’t appeal.