Hibs owner wants beer allowed at football matches...

Section Q

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Treasurer

• Section Q

• davemclaren

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The idiots could not be trusted to behave and only spoil it for the majority who could act like civilised adults. Never happen. Recipe for disaster if it did unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, kingm616 said:

The idiots could not be trusted to behave and only spoil it for the majority who could act like civilised adults. Never happen. Recipe for disaster if it did unfortunately.

An overpriced pint of weak lager in a plastic cup hasn't ruined English football somehow

chester copperpot

I've never understood the real need for bevvy at football matches. Surely folk can go a couple of hours without a drink and enjoy the match.

Fine for those that are responsible but it will be those that abuse it that spoil it for the many.

**** me, I am getting old!

I don’t think the alcohol ban has a great effect on those it targets. Especially when you consider it’s likely alcohol would only be permitted in the concourse. 

...a bit disco
Just now, chester copperpot said:

I've never understood the real need for bevvy at football matches. Surely folk can go a couple of hours without a drink and enjoy the match.

Fine for those that are responsible but it will be those that abuse it that spoil it for the many.

I'm in the above camp.

Worthy of consideration. The original alcohol ban was more to stop folk taking drink to games.  I can’t remember any ground where you could actually buy it. 

5 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

:spoton:

N Lincs Jambo

I remember our pre-season friendly at Rotherham in 2012. Quite a few Hearts fans never got round to seeing the pitch that day despite paying to get in as they were happily drinking in the concourse 😂

I’m all for it.

In order to change Scotland’s horrendous association with alcohol, you need to try and alter that culture, not just admit we can’t be trusted.

Like trains, there could be occasions when they don’t allow it. It could work.

Just now, Boab said:

I’m all for it.

In order to change Scotland’s horrendous association with alcohol, you need to try and alter that culture, not just admit we can’t be trusted.

Like trains, there could be occasions when they don’t allow it. It could work.

Not allowed for European games. 

13 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

This man gets it

Just now, davemclaren said:

Not allowed for European games. 

I’m thinking more old firm games, derbies and the like.

For most games it really could work and bring in cash. Does already with fan bars etc !

24 minutes ago, kingm616 said:

this

too many neds/yobs act like idiots without drink

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Worthy of consideration. The original alcohol ban was more to stop folk taking drink to games.  I can’t remember any ground where you could actually buy it. 

too many idiots though

7 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Too many idiots at the football. Imagine the nick of them, if they could buy booze during the game.

Ron might be a little out of touch with Scotland or even football generally. 

It's an image he has of happy fans, everyone getting on. If you look at the overall vision he offered yesterday it was very positive. 

But we know how toxic and angry it can be at games when things aren't going so well. 

been here before
8 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

this

too many neds/yobs act like idiots without drink

So you're saying that with drink they wouldnt act like idiots?

Controversial viewpoint.

As for the matter in hand I've always found it simple to take in a hipflask to games regardless.

I'm quite thankful for the little break of no pints, means I'm not running to the toilet all game! 

Another fans bar under the Wheatfield and improving the current one so there's more seats / stools would be the only improvements I'd seek at Tynie in terms of match day beers.

been here before
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's an image he has of happy fans, everyone getting on. If you look at the overall vision he offered yesterday it was very positive. 

But we know how toxic and angry it can be at games when things aren't going so well. 

Rons just trying to buy over the Hubz fans by offering them beer and big tellys and theyre all ponying up for it on .nugget.

Its a bit like magpies getting excited about shiny things.

Edited by been here before

11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Too many idiots at the football. Imagine the nick of them, if they could buy booze during the game.

Or conversely if people knew they could get a pint during the game it might stop some of the quick binging before matches

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

So you're saying that with drink they wouldnt act like idiots?

Controversial viewpoint.

As for the matter in hand I've always found it simple to take in a hipflask to games regardless.

No I am saying they already act like idiots without drink at the game - would be worse if drink was allowed

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Rons just trying to buy over the Hubz fans by offering them beer and big tellys and theyre all ponying up for it on .nugget.

Its a bit like magpies getting excited about shiny things.

Fair point.

The basics still aren't established there yet. 

Fit out the entire 2nd floor of the main stand as a bar and encourage supporters to get there early, some comfortable seating, somewhere to put your pint down and some decent tv's that work and it'll make money. 

English speaking staff might help as well. 

No need for the mad rush at half time to guzzle down a beer. 

Lower league games in England allow Beer pitch side, been to a few, stood by the pitch and never saw the game... 😃😃😃

It is a no brainer for me.  Our owner would never go for it however as she treats us all like her 4 year old grandkids but in the real adult world drink is a big part of our society.  Most are responsible and should be able to have the choice whether to drink at the game or not. They want to charge the punter top dollar to watch a game of football but it is on their terms. 

The argument that it would encourage loutish behaviour and trouble does not wash with me.  People will be drinking before and after regardless of this rule and in my experience at a faster pace pre game to get them through the next 90 minutes dry spell.  As if this 90 minutes would have any impact to some little jakeballs agenda.

I would be up for a compromise and make it over 21s only or at least have a discussion about it.  The revenue would make an impact, of that I am sure.

Folk back and forward to the bar and needing a pish you'd be up and down letting people past constantly.

Plenty boozers before and after the game to have a drink in, I really don't see the point

been here before
4 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

No I am saying they already act like idiots without drink at the game - would be worse if drink was allowed

What drinks do you think they would drink and how much would it cost?

Sensible answers only please.

August Landmesser

I fantasise that one day football in Scotland would be like football in Germany - hanging out at the ground for an hour or so before & after the game, drinking beers and eating nice food. Free public transport with a match ticket, terracing, huge away supports...

Then I remember that Police Scotland exist.

I'm sick to ****ing death of the majority being punished for the actions of a minority.  How the **** is it fair? Minority rules in our society, that is the way it is.

It works everywhere else so why not here. Because it's Scottish football that's why, and Scottish football can be evil enough without throwing alcohol into the mix.  If it did happen please don't let fans take the stuff to their seats. I've been to Murrayfield for Scotland games and it can be a constant procession of folks disturbing everybody to get more drink which equals more toilet visits, some hardly see the game at all and I've also had beer spilled down the back of my neck as somebody tried to get to their seat with far too many pints.

I was at a game in Newcastle last season and you could only drink in the concourses or bars which worked ok, lots of people doing it so big business for the club. I always drive to games so I won't be buying any anyway.

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I fantasise that one day football in Scotland would be like football in Germany - hanging out at the ground for an hour or so before & after the game, drinking beers and eating nice food. Free public transport with a match ticket, terracing, huge away supports...

2.30077504.jpg

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

and sadly many fans act like neds/idiots

46 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You can only drink in the concourse english games. 15 mins before HT and 15 after. It’s long overdue ffs. 

HT too.  I got a pint at Man City and went back to my seat....didn't realise you couldn't do that. It didn't go down well with the stewards.

The pint was garbage too :-(

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm sick to ****ing death of the majority being punished for the actions of a minority.  How the **** is it fair? Minority rules in our society, that is the way it is.

It's really easy to get drink into the ground. If you aren't on a watch list. 

6 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Folk back and forward to the bar and needing a pish you'd be up and down letting people past constantly.

Plenty boozers before and after the game to have a drink in, I really don't see the point

I agree with this.  I sit at the end of an isle and it’s bad enough standing up all the time during a game for folk. I enjoy a pint or 2 before and after the game and can manage a couple of hours without a drink so personally speaking Im not bothered at all.

some really don’t need any more tbh

11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Or conversely if people knew they could get a pint during the game it might stop some of the quick binging before matches

I was at Scotland v Brazil down south and you could drink at the match. Everyone just stayed on the concourse watching on TV while drinking, as you can't take booze to your seat. It will just result in a poorer atmosphere and less people actually watching the game.

When I was at Union Berlin, you could take drinks to the terrace / stand. It just meant getting soaked when a goal went in as pints went everywhere. 

I don't see any reason to sell alcohol during the game. I appreciate others will have conflicting opinions but it's not for me and I would prefer no drinking during the match.

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

What drinks do you think they would drink and how much would it cost?

Sensible answers only please.

It would be cheapest beer and lager sold at the highest price possible, no chance of a fine selection of malt whisky and real ales. 

55 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Makes a change from Bucky bottles down there I suppose.  

The response of a jambo 👌🏻 Had to read a few posts to reach it but 👏🏻

I’m old and if drinking would never be away from the bogs. I’m used to not being able to bevvy so don’t care really. Even if they reintroduced it I don’t think I’d bother unless they sold Guinness 

10 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Based on no evidence whatsoever I’m not convinced this would be the case. I doubt people would get up to go for a pint whilst the game was ongoing and return from that pint, having missed 5 minutes of the game, to continue watching. I think it’s far more likely someone would go for a pint moments before half time - in a similar fashion to those who want to beat the queue at the kiosks or for the pisher. I’d wager that those looking for a pint on the 65 minute mark aren’t likely to return. 

I have my doubts about the popularity of pre match pints in the comfort of the concourse too. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to my seat from the diggers, less from the Tynie Arms and even less from (gulp) Stratties. All these boozers score much higher than the concourse for warmth, comfort, facilities and (presumably) variety of lager given that the options would likely be restricted by a sponsor. 

All these presumptions, if correct, render the ban pretty pointless.

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

**** me, I am getting old.

I agree with this. After all if anyone can't go without a drink for a short period of time then they need help. Clubs nowadays have hospitality suites for before and after the match so there is a place to go.

...a bit disco
39 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Beer, hotdogs and 9 innings.