Could relegation be liberating?

combo74

12 hours ago, CJGJ said:

No

When things get bad you get all sorts of nonsense spoken about how it could be good for you when clearly it is not

There is no good side to relegation and if you think so think again

Threads like this and people who support the premise are just full of people who have given up or who carry silly grudges on other topics

Pretty much this.  It was hard enough getting the players we wanted because we were at the bottom of the top league; being in the league below isn't exactly gong to help recruitment.

There are no 2 ways about it - Hearts being relegated will be a huge step back and an absolute embarrassment for all concerned at the club.  It's a stunning achievement to relegate a club with our resources.

The fact that we are still managing to have the biggest home crowds outside Glasgow (according to EEN article)  this season is just astonishing given where we are.  Sometimes I feel that support is taken for granted.  Add to that the FoH subscriptions.  It's easy to get to the mindset that this current incarnation of the club doesn't deserve it.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Forever Hearts

• Boab

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Haken said:

Pretty much this.  It was hard enough getting the players we wanted because we were at the bottom of the top league; being in the league below isn't exactly gong to help recruitment.

There are no 2 ways about it - Hearts being relegated will be a huge step back and an absolute embarrassment for all concerned at the club.  It's a stunning achievement to relegate a club with our resources.

The fact that we are still managing to have the biggest home crowds outside Glasgow (according to EEN article)  this season is just astonishing given where we are.  Sometimes I feel that support is taken for granted.  Add to that the FoH subscriptions.  It's easy to get to the mindset that this current incarnation of the club doesn't deserve it.

I really wish the EEN would apply some proper pressure to Hearts/Budge. In my opinion that’s been part of the problem - Budge/Levein being given easier rides than they deserves

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I really wish the EEN would apply some proper pressure to Hearts/Budge. In my opinion that’s been part of the problem - Budge/Levein being given easier rides than they deserves

Does anyone read the EEN?

Leveins Battalion

Relegation will liberate some of our fans who think we are bigger than we are,expectations will drop and hopefully lead to an improved matchday atmosphere where we actually support the team🤷‍♂️

On 25/02/2020 at 22:55, Satchmo said:

No chance. Stendal doesn’t have the right game plan to bring us back up. High press pish, or whatever won’t work in that league.

So you are saying if we played like Liverpool we wouldn't win the League, cup and everything else we competed for in Scotland

?

Edited by alanbauld
error on my part

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Relegation will liberate some of our fans who think we are bigger than we are,expectations will drop and hopefully lead to an improved matchday atmosphere where we actually support the team🤷‍♂️

We are the third biggest in the league and should be nowhere near the bottom six, never mind rock bottom. That's not entitlement, it's a fact. But if you're happy to be heading to the Championship then good for you. The rest of us aren't. 

Shooter McGavin
20 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Will relegation lead to a better match-day atmosphere, aye?

Leveins Battalion
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

We are the third biggest in the league and should be nowhere near the bottom six, never mind rock bottom. That's not entitlement, it's a fact. But if you're happy to be heading to the Championship then good for you. The rest of us aren't. 

I am far from happy,if you are aware of my posting history I want Budge,Levein and everyone else culpable for this shitshow gone from the club.

Not sure why beyond thinks we’ll “get rid” of shite players by getting relegated?

We’ll likely lose our ‘best’ to clubs in a better league and be left with the shite that’s still under contract that no one wants or can afford. There’s no positive in going down this time around.

18 hours ago, rick witter said:

If we go down I would get Gary Holt in straight away. 

Decent shout , maybe both naismiths in coaching roles too ,but Steven continue to play ?

Captain Canada

Relegation would be a disaster in my view and lead to another two summer transfer windows at least where the squad would need overhauled.

If we go down this season, the majority of players will leave or be sold meaning starting again with almost a whole new squad and a wage bill/level of quality to match our new circumstances. If we then got promoted at the first opportunity, that squad would then need improved significantly to get us competing in the top flight again.

And that's just on the playing side. Would Stendel want/be allowed to carry on? Attendances and other revenue streams have the potential to decline too. 

I just can't see any glimmer of a positive about going down. It could set us back years after working so hard to rebuild last time. 

Just now, Captain Canada said:

Relegation would be a disaster in my view and lead to another two summer transfer windows at least where the squad would need overhauled.

If we go down this season, the majority of players will leave or be sold meaning starting again with almost a whole new squad and a wage bill/level of quality to match our new circumstances. If we then got promoted at the first opportunity, that squad would then need improved significantly to get us competing in the top flight again.

And that's just on the playing side. Would Stendel want/be allowed to carry on? Attendances and other revenue streams have the potential to decline too. 

I just can't see any glimmer of a positive about going down. It could set us back years after working so hard to rebuild last time. 

The problem there is your last paragraph, bud.

The rebuild has set us back because it was a disaster in the making. It’s the rebuild that has us where we are.

Let’s hope we don’t need to suffer going down again, but if we do, it will require a drastic change from the last three or four years.

Austin MacGlee
19 hours ago, rick witter said:

Good shout. He's done an incredible job at Livi.

If we go down I think it will be night and day from the last time. We went down but had a bright future ahead of us and were united and full of optimism after the dark days of admin etc.

This time we'd be going down on a wave of negativity from mismanagement since promotion. There is something rotten at Tynecastle just now and if we don't get rid of it we will really struggle. We should be pushing on to the next level after our comfortable return to the premiership and the opposite has transpired. We are like Hibs when they went down. Damaged and toxic.

However, in the absence of a game last week I've let optimism build again (don't know why I do this to myself) and now think the extra week for Stendel to work with the players (and the rest from constant games) will give us the freshness and mentality we need to haul ourselves off the bottom.

I’m not really getting this wave of negativity being used as a counterweight to the feeling around the club the last time. 
We are entering a new era in the club with fan ownership.

If we do go down, I’m pretty sure the support won’t abandon the club. There’s every reason not to !

Edited by Boab

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

We could also install a cheap plastic pitch and fill the team with hammer throwers.

19 points above us and 25 goals better off. Oh how I'd love a team of hammer throwers right now. 

Relegation would be an embarrassment. It is a joke that Meadowbank Thistle, Hamilton RFC and the Paisley Pussies are above a team of our stature and funding. Blasting 10 past a bunch of part timers doesn't cut it for me as a form of restitution. 

2 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

If we go down I think it will be night and day from the last time. We went down but had a bright future ahead of us and were united and full of optimism after the dark days of admin etc.

This time we'd be going down on a wave of negativity from mismanagement since promotion. There is something rotten at Tynecastle just now and if we don't get rid of it we will really struggle. We should be pushing on to the next level after our comfortable return to the premiership and the opposite has transpired. We are like Hibs when they went down. Damaged and toxic.

However, in the absence of a game last week I've let optimism build again (don't know why I do this to myself) and now think the extra week for Stendel to work with the players (and the rest from constant games) will give us the freshness and mentality we need to haul ourselves off the bottom.

Hopefully you are right mate and we can get to the end of the season still in the league. If not I agree Holt would be a decent shout to get us out of the mess we would be in. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

We could also install a cheap plastic pitch and fill the team with hammer throwers.

Aye and we would probably be in the top 6. 👍🏻
You have a cheek slagging off Livingston when 1, we can’t beat them and 2, they are a country mile ahead of us in the league. 
One thing I do agree with is they should not be allowed a plastic pitch. 👍🏻

Edited by rick witter

5 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Honestly can't believe the amount of people who want rid of Stendel already. 

Embarrassing. 

Don't think its a case of wanting rid of him. I think its a case of willing him desperately to be the man, but he's not showing enough signs and he's running out of road. Its something we need to look at in the early summer. If we stay up he gets next season IMO, no question or doubt about it. If we go down we'd have a chat to have if there are release/relegation clauses either way and we'd need a think about what's needed in the championship to get right back up.Having new ownership and possibly a new CEO and a new sporting director will be a factor too. I'm just not sure he's ready to put enough grit and good old fashioned Scottish values into the team (as much as we might hate them, you've got to have a certain steel to get anywhere in the Scottish game) and the system is leaving us easy to beat defensively so even if he is staying, he's got to make the system work or alter it until it does.

8 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

This in spades......then again Mrs B might be so embarrassed that she has made such a total arse hole of things on the football front that she will toss in £10m free gratis of her £100m fortune and we’ll pish the championship!

King Of The Cat Cafe
10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

This in spades......then again Mrs B might be so embarrassed that she has made such a total arse hole of things on the football front that she will toss in £10m free gratis of her £100m fortune and we’ll pish the championship!

Just to quibble over a few trifling pounds, but Ann Budge is not worth £100m.

She probably gets by on £30 - a figure that's been reported before.

Still, whatever she's worth, I would settle for being £1 behind....

6 hours ago, rick witter said:

Aye and we would probably be in the top 6. 👍🏻
You have a cheek slagging off Livingston when 1, we can’t beat them and 2, they are a country mile ahead of us in the league. 
One thing I do agree with is they should not be allowed a plastic pitch. 👍🏻

That thing we call a pitch ?   Million quid,,, what a f....g waste !   Hopefully no more orchestras on it before we kick off next season!   Wherever that may be 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

8 hours ago, rick witter said:

Hopefully you are right mate and we can get to the end of the season still in the league. If not I agree Holt would be a decent shout to get us out of the mess we would be in. 

Martindale pulls the strings there, Holt is the front man, ... does what Martindale tells him, a point brought up by many posters on here, Martindales criminal past is common knowledge

On 26/02/2020 at 19:01, rick witter said:

He's just the front, I thought everyone knew that, and there's no way we're employing the guy he's fronting for. 

13 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

It's not, it's a very poor shout. The former cocaine smuggler's done an incredible job at livi, Holt's done a good job of being the front man.

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Part of me wonders why we wouldn’t/shouldn’t  employ Martindale. His coaching abilities seem to pretty impressive and he has done remarkably well at Livingston. Judging him on his football credentials he would probably be someone we should be interested in, 

I appreciate he has a hefty drug conviction behind him. However, he has served his time and paid amends to society,  Should he suffer forever because of his past crimes? 

I know a lot of people would be outraged at his crime and we undoubtably receive a lot of negative press; albeit the guy has been in football for some time now. As a club we have employed at least one convicted sex offender and  numerous people with questionable past actions. Would this really be such a heinous appointment? 

I’m not saying we should go and get him and I doubt we would employ him, however, I don’t believe the guy should be punished forever and with that belief I don’t think he should, in theory, be ruled out. 

If the guy came in and did a good job, I can’t say I would give a hoot about his past🤷🏻‍♂️

I've known some pretty interesting people in my life, I know what you're saying.

But there's zero chance that the current regime would employ him, and fear of outrage from a significant percentage of our fans ensures that we'd be unlikely to risk it once fan owned.

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've known some pretty interesting people in my life, I know what you're saying.

But there's zero chance that the current regime would employ him, and fear of outrage from a significant percentage of our fans ensures that we'd be unlikely to risk it once fan owned.

True. The last thing we need at Hearts are good coaches  

Weakened Offender

Does anyone think that next season would be a significant improvement on the last 3 if we scrape together enough points to stay up? 

Austin MacGlee
48 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I totally agree there is zero chance of employing him under the current regime.

I’m not convinced there would be that much outrage amongst the fan base Rix was pretty widely accepted and the furore died down after about a week. In addition to being a sex offender, he was also a terrible manager with a proven record of failure. At least Martindale has success in his favour. 

I guess I just find it slightly strange that we want to be seen as a progressive club etc etc. Yet we wouldn’t employ someone because of their past crimes, despite having repaid debt to society, doesn’t feel all that progressive to me. If I’m honest it strikes me as incredibly selective with, though that is a trait AB does suffer from in fairness.

Anyway it’s a mute point as it ain’t happening, as you say 👍

As a matter of interest would you personally have a issue if we employed him?

Well said on both your comments on the matter mate. 

Defo wouldn't have an issue with employing him. Everyone deserves the opportunity to atone for their past mistakes.

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I totally agree there is zero chance of employing him under the current regime.

I’m not convinced there would be that much outrage amongst the fan base Rix was pretty widely accepted and the furore died down after about a week. In addition to being a sex offender, he was also a terrible manager with a proven record of failure. At least Martindale has success in his favour. 

I guess I just find it slightly strange that we want to be seen as a progressive club etc etc. Yet we wouldn’t employ someone because of their past crimes, despite having repaid debt to society, doesn’t feel all that progressive to me. If I’m honest it strikes me as incredibly selective with, though that is a trait AB does suffer from in fairness.

Anyway it’s a mute point as it ain’t happening, as you say 👍

As a matter of interest would you personally have a issue if we employed him?

I'd have an issue due to it being unnecessarily divisive and therefore a pretty stupid appointment.

But apart from that I don't know. I try to stay away from moral outrage myself  but they reckon he made quarter of a million from it, and not even in charge of the operation, so while he's no Escobar he's not small time either. 

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's not, it's a very poor shout. The former cocaine smuggler's done an incredible job at livi, Holt's done a good job of being the front man.

What a lot of shite!! 

Forever Hearts
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'd have an issue due to it being unnecessarily divisive and therefore a pretty stupid appointment.

But apart from that I don't know. I try to stay away from moral outrage myself  but they reckon he made quarter of a million from it, and not even in charge of the operation, so while he's no Escobar he's not small time either. 

It would only concern the odd snowflake like you. Nobody would give a toss if the guy was good at his job.