Bands/artists you saw, not expecting much, but really enjoyed:

Beast Boy

N.E.R.D - June 2004 @ Murrayfield.

Back up to the Chillies.

Always been pretty dismissive of most hip hop. They were a whole different ball game though. 

Saw The Interrupters atrhe Barrowlands at the end of January. Had listened to a fair bit of them beforehand but still had that ‘wonder if they’ll be decent live’ vibe about them. They were absolutely brilliant tho, would highly recommend them to anyone. Kind of ska/punk vision, and Amy Interrupter (their lead singer) is an absolute darlin, which also helped 😊

F61B5641-1471-4000-AE8C-E4335472B329.png

6 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Saw The Interrupters atrhe Barrowlands at the end of January. Had listened to a fair bit of them beforehand but still had that ‘wonder if they’ll be decent live’ vibe about them. They were absolutely brilliant tho, would highly recommend them to anyone. Kind of ska/punk vision, and Amy Interrupter (their lead singer) is an absolute darlin, which also helped 😊

F61B5641-1471-4000-AE8C-E4335472B329.png

They sound a lot like Rancid, and the singer's style is very similar to Tim Armstrong's.

I got a free ticket to see Supergrass a number of years back, and almost didn't go.  I expected a pop band but got a band with a lot of great songs who could rock when they wanted.  Saw them a number of times after this.

Good to see them reformed.

I was at T in the Park and intending to see Blur but their set was delayed as Graham Coxon was unwell so we went into King Tuts Tent and saw most of Pet Shop Boys' set.

They put on a very good show with electronic video screen blocks and dancers.

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They sound a lot like Rancid, and the singer's style is very similar to Tim Armstrong's.

Aye mate, spot on. They take a lot of influence from Rancid, and they’ve worked a few times with TA. This is a particular favourite of mine 👌🏼

Henry. Henry.
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I got a free ticket to see Supergrass a number of years back, and almost didn't go.  I expected a pop band but got a band with a lot of great songs who could rock when they wanted.  Saw them a number of times after this.

Good to see them reformed.

They were spot on at Barrowlands on Friday night.  

Airbourne. Sort of liked some of their stuff got a cheap ticket to see them. Performance wise and how to work a crowd they were right up there 

I remember in summer 1990, the week before I joined the RAF, my mate phones me on saturday morning and asked of I wanted to go to a concert with him at gateshead athletics stadium ad our other mate couldn't make it due to bad sun stroke.

No worries I said, sounds good. His auntie loved near the stadium so his mother was taking us down.

Just as we crossed the border I asked who we were actually going to see, mate say Tina Turner. I'm like, why didn't you tell me before we left Gala, remember I usually listen to metal. He said he thought I might enjoy something different. 

Turned out to be an amazing concert, some might even say it was simply the best.

Just now, milky_26 said:

Airbourne. Sort of liked some of their stuff got a cheap ticket to see them. Performance wise and how to work a crowd they were right up there 

My mate roadies for them so we went along to catch up, I didn't expect to enjoy them as much as I did either. They know exactly what their crowd want and they give it 110%

Top lads too from what he says.

N Lincs Jambo

Went to see Primal Scream at Hull last December. It was more for my mrs as she’s a big fan but despite not knowing a good 50% of their songs I loved the gig. Very glad I went and would definitely go again.

I P Knightley

A guilty pleasure was seeing a Brian McFadden solo gig at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. 

I went because a mate was drumming for him but I enjoyed it a lot more than I probably should have given my age, gender and musical tastes.

Edited by I P Knightley

Went to see James Blunt on Friday, and it was surprisingly good. Catchy songs, really good backing band.

My wife's pal is Blunt's sound engineer,  and he insisted that he put us on the guest list. We only went out of obligation. 

Much better that I'd expected.  

Edited by CF11JamTart

Sugababes, I promised to take two of my niece's to thier first gig.

Fantastic gig, I had forgotten hiw many hits they had, nothing fancy in regards to a stage show just a few dancers and an excellent live band, I  really was impressed.

28 minutes ago, Boab said:

Niles Rodgers at Wickerman.

Not my cup of tea in the slightest but was incredible.

We've seen him a couple of times.  Both were fantastic gigs.

Aeroegramme at T in the Park in 2000.  had never heard of them but a mate wanted to see them,  Loved them and ''Sleep and Release' is still one of my all time favourite albums.  They only made three full length records.  One of their members is now part of Cvrches, which seems a bit of an odd journey.

Saw Catatonia supporting the Manics in the Livingston Forum - they were surprisingly decent before they went all Road Rage and Mulder and Scully.

Also supporting the Manics (this time at the Caird Hall in Dundee), I saw Mogwai (CODY era), a band that I was only vaguely aware of.

19 minutes ago, Haken said:

Aeroegramme at T in the Park in 2000.  had never heard of them but a mate wanted to see them,  Loved them and ''Sleep and Release' is still one of my all time favourite albums.  They only made three full length records.  One of their members is now part of Cvrches, which seems a bit of an odd journey.

Saw Catatonia supporting the Manics in the Livingston Forum - they were surprisingly decent before they went all Road Rage and Mulder and Scully.

Also supporting the Manics (this time at the Caird Hall in Dundee), I saw Mogwai (CODY era), a band that I was only vaguely aware of.

We were in a nearby boozer watching Scotland in a big qualifying match.  Got in half cut in time for the manics.

Snow Patrol (before they were famous) in this tiny wee club shortly after I moved down south. 

In the same club I saw a little unknown band called Radiohead.

Roxy Music supported by the B52s. 

Alice Cooper supported by Big Country. 

Excellent gigs that I was a bit meh about at the time. 

Carl Fredrickson

About 10 years ago I went to the Beverley Folk Festival and Chubawumba (sp?) were one of the headlners. I didnt appreciate that apart from a spell in the 90s that they were a folk band. Cracking set with some stunning female vocals. 

In the 80s I saw Aha at the Playhouse and they were very impressive. 

I seen The View supporting the Charlatans, Delamere Forest 2013. I never liked the band or the sound of their songs, mainly due to the individuals but they were a great live band and I was very impressed. I was still annoyed with them, yet happily bounced away to a great set!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Had to see the Drifters (classic line up) in the early 80s (Playhouse) as my parents couldn't get a babysitter. It was immense. Turned out to be Ben E King's farewell tour, so a landmark gig, too.

Quite embarrassing as a lot of people have mentioned them in the bands I wished I'd seen thread. 

The Kinks. I got dragged along by my brother as his mate had dropped out leaving him with a ticket, I moaned that I only knew a couple of their songs and wasn't that interested. Then spent the next couple of hours recognising pretty much every song and loving it. Huge fan ever since. 

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Quite embarrassing as a lot of people have mentioned them in the bands I wished I'd seen thread. 

The Kinks. I got dragged along by my brother as his mate had dropped out leaving him with a ticket, I moaned that I only knew a couple of their songs and wasn't that interested. Then spent the next couple of hours recognising pretty much every song and loving it. Huge fan ever since. 

The kinks are that band everyone knoes, they just don't know they know them. Ray Davies is an untouchable songwriter. 

Paul Young.  :vrface:

Wife wanted to go, dragged me along.  He was really good.

She asked me if I enjoyed the concert.  I was like 'nah'.  :lol: 

6 hours ago, Haken said:

I was at that gig too and absolutely fell in love with Cerys Mathews that night. An incredible voice. 

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

He had a fantastic voice. 

22 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Great in Los Pacaminos. 

Went to see Martin Stephenson & The Daintees a few weeks ago and the support band Logan’s Close were brilliant. Right up my street, gonna see them again Friday

Black Crowes last time they reformed . Thought they’d be rusty but they were superb 

Wilko Johnson loved the album he did with Roger Daltrey but didn’t know much of the Feelgood stuff. Incredible gig. Norman Watt Roy on bass was unbelievable 

First time I saw Prince at Wembley I only went cos my Mrs was pregnant and a huge fan. Lovesexy tour 1990. Blew me away

8 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Roxy Music supported by the B52s. 

Alice Cooper supported by Big Country. 

Excellent gigs that I was a bit meh about at the time. 

Glad you enjoyed RM. One of the most influential bands in history. 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Glad you enjoyed RM. One of the most influential bands in history. 

You obviously like them with the user name 😊

Saw them because of a free ticket that couldn't be used. 

They really were excellent live. 

Mr Ferry the personifaction of cool was in a class of his own that night. 

11 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

He had a fantastic voice. 

Brilliant singer, just tell him not sing about toast. 🙄

The Subways.

The gig was at the Liquid Room, cost about eight quid and ended up being the best gig I ever went to. Probably in 2005. Singer did a dive right off the balcony into the crowd.

Place was dripping with sweat man, proper punk rock gig of old :lol:

Anyone else there?

Edited by Jee

36 minutes ago, Jee said:

The Subways.

The gig was at the Liquid Room, cost about eight quid and ended up being the best gig I ever went to. Probably in 2005. Singer did a dive right off the balcony into the crowd.

Place was dripping with sweat man, proper punk rock gig of old :lol:

Anyone else there?

Used to enjoy The Subways! Haven't seen them live though.

I used to be quite dismissive of the Foo Fighters but when they were at T in the Park a few years ago they put on a hell of a set - one of the best live gigs i've seen. I've always liked Dave Grohl mind you.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Neil Finn. I wasn't a Crowded House fan but I went along to one of his solo gigs and enjoyed it. He had his son playing in the band as far as I remember. 

Chas and Dave Big in Falkirk years ago.

Beer tent with mates and Chas and Dave came on.To my huge surprise it was brilliant.

Foreigner and Tears For Fears at the Playhouse.

Went with mate because he went with me for a couple of gigs with groups he had not heard of.

The above 2 were his picks much to my dismay.

Both groups were very good live,preferred the live sound compared to their albums.

On 25/02/2020 at 11:52, Haken said:

Aereogramme were brilliant but so underrated. Saw them support Cave In at Citrus Club in the early 2000's. 

11 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

My and my brother and mates, when to see Big Audio Dynamite at the Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh, in about 1988?

A support act was Goodby Mr MacKenzie. 

B.A.D were good, G.M.M were sort of less good yet more real and in your face. 

edit- barely listened to B.A.D since, but listened to Goodby Mr MacKenzie music a lot . 

'Death is a pony that's waiting for me, his name is Luigi, he's tied to the black tree. I will decide when the day's gonna be, no beuracrat s are making these decisions for me...'

11 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Now We Are Married

10 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Currently listening to 'Hammer and Tongs'

They put on a great show at the Liquid Rooms in December "supported" by The Filthy Tongues.

I am gutted I missed an Angelfish reunion a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Aereogramme were brilliant but so underrated. Saw them support Cave In at Citrus Club in the early 2000's. 

Totally.  The finishing untitled track on Sleep and Release is just awesome in the way that it gradually layers instruments.  Always thought I could hear touches of Radiohead, Floyd and Metallica while still having their own unique sound.

I've got a couple of the Unwinding Hours discs, which was basically 2/3rds of the band when Gramme broke up.  They're ok but lacking the same invention and contrasts.  

27 minutes ago, Haken said:

Totally.  The finishing untitled track on Sleep and Release is just awesome in the way that it gradually layers instruments.  Always thought I could hear touches of Radiohead, Floyd and Metallica while still having their own unique sound.

I've got a couple of the Unwinding Hours discs, which was basically 2/3rds of the band when Gramme broke up.  They're ok but lacking the same invention and contrasts.  

Had a listen to the unwinding hours but they didn't have the same pull as aereogramme. Absolutely love Meaningful Existance from A Story in White.  

20 hours ago, Smithee said:

The kinks are that band everyone knoes, they just don't know they know them. Ray Davies is an untouchable songwriter. 

My old man always said that they would have been a lot bigger had they not been banned from touring in the USA.

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

My old man always said that they would have been a lot bigger had they not been banned from touring in the USA.

Didn't know the Kinks were banned from touring the US Ted. How did that come about? Also saw them early 80s at the Playhouse. Loads of young Mod-Revivalists plus quite a few original 60s Mods who would have been a hell of a lot younger then than I am now 😂

52 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Didn't know the Kinks were banned from touring the US Ted. How did that come about? Also saw them early 80s at the Playhouse. Loads of young Mod-Revivalists plus quite a few original 60s Mods who would have been a hell of a lot younger then than I am now 😂

https://www.newstalk.com/the-tom-dunne-show/kinks-frontman-ray-davies-on-his-bands-infamous-us-ban-700369