***Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers FC Scottish Cup Quarter Final Tie Official Match Thread***

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With a couple of weeks off and potentially only 4 home League matches left, an opportunity to knock out a Glasgow club from the competition. 

All rather low key thus far.

Forget the League,  another chance awaits to go the distance in our favourite competition. 

The last match against the toiling Weegies demonstrated this is a winnable tie.

We have a great Tynecastle record against them. 

Hopefully we get at least 13k for the game,  make some noise and have at least another Hampden date to salvage something positive from the season 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• sadj

• Greedy Jambo

• GinRummy

Can’t wait. A cup quarter final at home v the unwashed arsecheek, who are struggling. On a Saturday evening. 
what’s not to love ??

dont get why folk aren’t going at all when we beat them last time here ??

come on Hearts fans. If you can afford it get along there. 
2-1 again to the famous.

2 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

We're shite I'm expecting little

probably your thoughts before the league game. We need a full house going for it 

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

probably your thoughts before the league game. We need a full house going for it 

My thoughts before most games past few seasons.

Unfortunately I've generally been proven right

Bobby

Smith         Souttar        Halkett        Hickey

Sibbick        Irving

Clare          Naismith         Washington

Boyce 

1 minute ago, kila said:

Bobby

Sibbick        Irving

Boyce 

That would be a great starting 11. No idea if that’s what it will be though 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

You weren't the last twice we played them at Tynecastle 

:verysmug:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, kila said:

Bobby

Sibbick        Irving

Boyce 

Walker will probably play but pretty close to that I would imagine 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Walker will probably play but pretty close to that I would imagine 

Yeah true should have Walker in ahead of Washington

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Kamberi cant play on sat as he's cup tied.

Never done much against us but happy about it all the same. 

Morelos suspended for Wednesday will be rested unfortunately. 

Spitonastranger
36 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

Got the last one wrong then 😂 they also let their club die

Edited by Spitonastranger

As much as he sometimes looks like he has never played football before there are times when Uche can be unplayable and that game before the league cup semi he absolutely battered Katic and Goldson and they cannot deal with a physical battle so I wonder if we might play him and Boyce with Naisy in behind.

A lot of pressure on Rangers, particularly if they're turfed out of Europe on Wednesday. 

I'm usually optimistic going into games, sometimes ridiculously so, but genuinely believe we'll win this. 

Hearts 3-2, just like in 1986.

Austin MacGlee

Weirdly confident about this. Don't think it'll be easy for them and actually think it'll be tight with only one goal in it 

Edited by Austin MacGlee

49 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

With a couple of weeks off and potentially only 4 home League matches left, an opportunity to knock out a Glasgow club from the competition. 

Sorry to nitpick, but we 100% have 5 home games left for the following reasons:

1) When determing the post-split fixtures, the league explicitly gives priority to ensuring that teams play an even number of home and away games, rather than evening out the head-to-heads.

2) The only time this doesn't happen is when there is an imbalance (i.e. more than 3 teams in one half of the league are due 3 home fixtures). Assuming the top and bottom 6 say the same as they currently are, as is overwhelmingly likely, that won't be the case this year.

3) Even in the very, very unlikely event that there is an imbalance, we won't be the victims because a) we were the losers last time this happened and b) preference is given to teams who still have something to play for, which we almost certainly will.

The result of this will be that Kilmarnock will come to Tynecastle for a third time and Hamilton will have to go to Ross County and St Mirren each for a third time.

But aye... Hearts v Rangers.

Zlámal

Smith Souttar Halkett Whoever

Sibbick Irving

Walker Naismith Washington

Boyce

This should be our biggest game of the season but it feels like a bit of a nuisance in our current situation. The worst result is arguably a draw, but I'd at least like to see a competent defensive performance to give something to build on for the games ahead.

17 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

1) When determing the post-split fixtures, the league explicitly gives priority to ensuring that teams play an even number of home and away games, rather than evening out the head-to-heads.

2) The only time this doesn't happen is when there is an imbalance (i.e. more than 3 teams in one half of the league are due 3 home fixtures). Assuming the top and bottom 6 say the same as they currently are, as is overwhelmingly likely, that won't be the case this year.

3) Even in the very, very unlikely event that there is an imbalance, we won't be the victims because a) we were the losers last time this happened and b) preference is given to teams who still have something to play for, which we almost certainly will.

The result of this will be that Kilmarnock will come to Tynecastle for a third time and Hamilton will have to go to Ross County and St Mirren each for a third time.

Zlámal

Sibbick Irving

Boyce

This should be our biggest game of the season but it feels like a bit of a nuisance in our current situation. The worst result is arguably a draw, but I'd at least like to see a competent defensive performance to give something to build on for the games ahead.

How can you even think of this as a nuisance ?

Playing 3 more matches is hardly going to make any diff to our league position and would give us confidence in the matches to come

The Scottish cup final is on May 9th and there are league fixtures after that which may well be vital for us..then possibly the play off's

I noticed a quote on sky sports saying "Gerrard would love to renew Lampard rivalry".  I understand that could mean to draw Chelsea in Europe but it looked more like it meant he wants to go down south.  West Ham might want a new manager if they survive relegation.

Anyway Rangers are looking more shaky by the day.  Morelos looks more miserable and I thought his team mates weren't supplying him well versus St. Johnstone.

If they get knocked out Europe(they are very likely to) their confidence must take a bashing,  I think they might turn on each other.

Hearts 4-1 if they get knocked out and 3-2 if they don't :pirate:

Edited by HMFC01
pressed return by mistake i wanst finished writing,

It’s only Monday, I thought the law was that it had to be 2 or 3 days before the game that a match thread got started.

Anyway, I see goals, I’m going for a Desmond.

Edited by smiler

WheatfieldWarrior
5 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I noticed a quote on sky sports saying "Gerrard would love to renew Lampard rivalry".  I understand that could mean to draw Chelsea in Europe but it looked more like it meant he wants to go down south.  West Ham might want a new manager if they survive relegation.

Anyway Rangers are looking more shaky by the day.  Morelos looks more miserable and I thought his team mates weren't supplying him well versus St. Johnstone,

I'm happy to punt Stendel and give Lampard a go.

Weakened Offender

Braga should dispose of them on Wednesday and the league is over. They've blown that big-time. Ending their season would certainly make up for that semi final debacle and the humiliating rout which followed it. 

3 hours ago, Barack said:

Rangers will probably be out the EL by then. Last chance for Gerrard to salvage another trophy-less season.

Expect they'll be up for it. Won't be too despondent if we lose this one. 

Think it'll be a draw however.

Yes can see this as a scoring draw..  Say 2-2

Not prepared to make a prediction until I know if Sibbick and Boyce are clear to play.

Glad rangers got those goals to give them the appearance of a chance against Braga.  Had they lost 2-0 I suspect they would have effectively forfeited the 2nd leg to prepare for us.  Should be a big advantage for us.

If S and B are fit to play i think we'll Stendelpress the life out of them and win 3-0.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Zlámal

Sibbick Irving

Boyce

Aye  it's the Scottish football authorities. 

Rangers currently have 5 away games of course it won't happen but who knows with these incompetents

Zlamal, Smith, Souttar, Halkett, Garuccio, Sibbick, Irving, Walker, Naisy, Washington, Boyce.

Hearts need to win this to get a bit of a boost going into the Derby. I think we can. 

Play the under 21’s. We aren’t winning the Scottish cup with these bottle merchants. Save the legs for the big 3 point game against Hibs a few days later. 

9 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

Zlamal

Clare

Souttar

Smith

Halkett

Hickey

Sibbick

Irving

Naismith

Bocye

Washington

This would suit me.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Referee should be announced in the next hour or so. Be interesting to see if Rangers fan theories are correct, will it be Collum?

My guess is Beaton, haven't seen Madden for a while, I know he has suffered from serious illness in the past, though I don't like him as a ref, goes without saying hope his health is in order.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, lewis2006 said:

Play the under 21’s. We aren’t winning the Scottish cup with these bottle merchants. Save the legs for the big 3 point game against Hibs a few days later. 

Only lost in the cups over the last 2 seasons to either Rangers or Celtic. The cup form we really can't complain about, unlucky to lose to Motherwell the season previous too

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, CJGJ said:

How can you even think of this as a nuisance ?

Playing 3 more matches is hardly going to make any diff to our league position and would give us confidence in the matches to come

The Scottish cup final is on May 9th and there are league fixtures after that which may well be vital for us..then possibly the play off's

I'm sure Everton won the cup one year, momentum from each competition fueled them, Joe Royles dogs of war

Raymond Reddington

Live and work in west 😪 all the sevco fans keep saying is this is there biggest game of the season. They are not great away from home, however they should know what to expect from us. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Referee should be announced in the next hour or so. Be interesting to see if Rangers fan theories are correct, will it be Collum?

My guess is Beaton, haven't seen Madden for a while, I know he has suffered from serious illness in the past, though I don't like him as a ref, goes without saying hope his health is in order.

Madden is fine, he was causing havoc last week as usual in the Champions League where he even managed to **** a VAR decision up in the Shaktar match.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Zlamal, Smith, Souttar, Halkett, Garuccio, Sibbick, Irving, Walker, Naisy, Washington, Boyce.

Hearts need to win this to get a bit of a boost going into the Derby. I think we can. 

There's no reason why we can't. Our postponed game on Friday could be a blessing in disguise.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Madden is fine, he was causing havoc last week as usual in the Champions League where he even managed to **** a VAR decision up in the Shaktar match.

Glad he is healthy, not so glad he will be in contention for this game. 

VAR in Scotland is only going to send us all over the edge. Going to confirm what we all know without any likely repercussions

31 minutes ago, Marvin said:

There's no reason why we can't. Our postponed game on Friday could be a blessing in disguise.

Agree mate, we've done it once. It would be great to get ourselves safe in the league and then have the chance of a cup final to get over our depressing season. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Steven McLean it is then, Willie Collum 4th official.

Other ties, Madden does St Js v Celtic, Nick Walsh has Hibs, and Don Robertson St Midden v Horseshaggers

Boyce & Sibbick doubtful, personally would rather they were fit for Tuesday. 

Gk - Zlamal

RB - Smith

CB - Souttar

CB - Halkett 

LB - Hickey

RM - Clare

CM - Irving

CM - Bozanic 
LM - Walker

ST - Naismith 

ST - Washington 

4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

It's Maclean.

Bazzas right boot

Chance to end their season and march on to a 4th consecutive semi final. 

Either a close win for us 2-1/3-2 or they'll score first, probably early and hammer us and it will be 0-3 at ht. 

They haven’t been doing that lately tho, they'll be knackered and deflated about the league and ooafa Cup exit. 

They'll also be wary they haven't beaten us at Tynecastle this season. 

Match their plan a and they aren't very good, they struggle to adapt.

Knock these cheating, hun, smelly *******s out and march on to another semi final. 

Job done. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Glad he is healthy, not so glad he will be in contention for this game. 

VAR in Scotland is only going to send us all over the edge. Going to confirm what we all know without any likely repercussions

I know it’s scary stuff, the team scored a goal, he chalked it off and gave a penalty, as the ball was passed to the scorer there was a foul, the foul occurred after the pass, the recipient was offside, cue madness 🙈