Which era do you wish you saw/grew up in

Locky

Born in 1993, but often wish I was born 15-20 years earlier. Would've loved to have experienced Tynecastle in the 80's and football in general, but still be young enough to be a big part of the rave scene come the 90's. I was definitely born in the right era, just far too late for me to enjoy it.

AlphonseCapone

Was born in 88 and feel I got the perfect balance between the world before real technology kicked off and being at a young enough age when technology really kicked off that I could learn it easy. For example, my summers were spent out playing football every day and night with my mates. We'd call each other on house phones (can still remember some of their numbers) and we built our own goals, including stealing nets from building sites. Now I think it's more likely kids would play games online. But I also remember getting my first computer for Christmas in 99 and just messed around in all the folders learning how it worked. Also sat up during hogmanay on it as I was so worried the millennium bug would break it haha. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

37 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Was born in 88 and feel I got the perfect balance between the world before real technology kicked off and being at a young enough age when technology really kicked off that I could learn it easy. For example, my summers were spent out playing football every day and night with my mates. We'd call each other on house phones (can still remember some of their numbers) and we built our own goals, including stealing nets from building sites. Now I think it's more likely kids would play games online. But I also remember getting my first computer for Christmas in 99 and just messed around in all the folders learning how it worked. Also sat up during hogmanay on it as I was so worried the millennium bug would break it haha. 

I as born 89 and agree with this. Managed to have a childhood before the technology outbreak and still have all the benefits of being able to learn it all. 

Feel sorry for kids nowadays. Never will they have the experience of collecting old mattresses, stacking them high and flipping from high lockups..pretty much risking life and limbs lol

I was a child of the 50's 1952 to be exact. Remember Hearts winning the big league 1959/60. And as for music well it was the best of times The sixties early mid seventies, it just couldn't be beat IMO. 

N Lincs Jambo

Born 63 so for the football it would have been great being around to see the fantastic Hearts sides of the 50s and early 60s. For music it would have been great to appreciate what was going on in the 60s. 

Either the Cretaceous or Cambrian. It would have to be growing up there in a completely safe enclosure with full modern technological assistance and support though. 😄

John mcCartney

The Great War for me,for all the hardship and suffering  that befell that generation I still would love to have taken part in
some shape or form especially as a Hearts fan at that time n all.

I fell in love with the Hearts when my Dad took me to my first game right after the war.  So I was lucky enough to see the great Hearts teams of the 1950s, when we won League Cups, the Scottish Cup, and League titles.  From a football perspective, that was the best era to live.

In more general terms.the current era is the best place to be.  No major wars, many diseases have been brought under control, and hunger is a thing of the past for most people.  I recognise that most that applies to the western world, and that in there are still serious issues elsewhere.  

Governor Tarkin

Born in '74.

Absolutely no gripes about the time period I've lived through so far.

Compared to the vast majority of human existence it's been an absolute blast, and I've seen sure to fill my boots.

Салатные палочки

I'm happy having grown up in the 90's.  On reflection, it was a pretty great decade to grow up in.  

Anything before that just seems grim to me.  The 70's just looked like such a dark, horrible decade.  Crap fashion, crap telly, crap music.  Something bad seemed to happen on a regular basis.  

The early to mid-80's seemed pretty grey and dull.  The 90's is definitely the one for me.  

36 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

The Great War for me,for all the hardship and suffering  that befell that generation I still would love to have taken part in
some shape or form especially as a Hearts fan at that time n all.

A war that needlessly sent so many young men to their deaths though. It’s a fine sentiment to have, and I respect it. Can I ask you though, would you have wanted to have been one of the young men sent to their deaths?

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Born in 1993, but often wish I was born 15-20 years earlier. Would've loved to have experienced Tynecastle in the 80's and football in general, but still be young enough to be a big part of the rave scene come the 90's. I was definitely born in the right era, just far too late for me to enjoy it.

Was born in 74 so I hit the Rave era at the perfect time.16-23 my youth was great from Rave scene to festivals.

Sawdust Caesar

I would like to have been born just after WW2 so I was a young man when the 60s came round. Or being born circa 1900 so I could enjoy the Roaring Twenties, dancing The Charleston, drinking cocktails in the Ritz. Also travelling the world on steam trains and boats prior to the rise in terrorism and without McDonalds and Starbucks everywhere. I reckon I would rock a white linen suit and Panama hat.

John mcCartney
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

A war that needlessly sent so many young men to their deaths though. It’s a fine sentiment to have, and I respect it. Can I ask you though, would you have wanted to have been one of the young men sent to their deaths?

In hindsight needless indeed S.O but in the context of the times ,blind patriotism,loyalty and fervour swept 99% of young men into service.....in the first year of the war,yes I would be enthusiastic in going to the Western Front altho after the battle of Loos going into 1916 then my feelings would probably be different aka rather worried.
Thats when my grandad ,just turned 16,went over......christ knows how he was feeling at that time.He was a horse driver tho
seriously wounded twice and turned into a rifleman in 1917.

42 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

In hindsight needless indeed S.O but in the context of the times ,blind patriotism,loyalty and fervour swept 99% of young men into service.....in the first year of the war,yes I would be enthusiastic in going to the Western Front altho after the battle of Loos going into 1916 then my feelings would probably be different aka rather worried.
Thats when my grandad ,just turned 16,went over......christ knows how he was feeling at that time.He was a horse driver tho
seriously wounded twice and turned into a rifleman in 1917.

Respect to your grandad. My ancestors fought too. Both world wars. I only exist because of the second one. 👍❤️

John mcCartney

Kind words,cheers.
On the other hand,m fecking glad that Ive lived in theses times(born Nov 66)
As others have mentioned ,the explosion of dance music has defined a lot of us caught up in it back in the nineties.

Born in 73, perfect I think. Remember the heart ache of 86 which meant I could really appreciate 98. The best era for music, the 90s, as a teenager, early 20s. The rave scene.

but if I was born say in the late 40s, I would have been old enough to properly celebrate winning the league twice and I would apparently then be able to remember proper summers.

Dagger Is Back

Born in 61 and quite happy with that

Grew up listening to my folks music which was brilliant. Enjoyed the glam 70s and went to first Hearts game in 74

Was a tough upbringing for a while but taught you a lot in terms of the value of things and treating folks properly

Always out with your mates, jumpers for goals, taking on the older lads and getting kicked black and blue if you were too much of a smart arse.

Still remember getting our first fridge in about 1974. Didn’t know what a fridge was but my brother told me it made ice lollies

That was good enough for me 😂

In saying all of that, to be around when Hearts won the league would have bern something else. 

I kind of knew 86 would be as close as it got for us. That and the week after broke me heart 

SpruceBringsteen

**** being born before I was, the pubs were never open and you could catch TB as easy as a bus. 77 was grand, grew up in the 80s with the explosion of shite cartoons with tied in merchandise, hit the 90s with the Nintendo/Sega wars and got to go to Ibiza before the sunbed fried melts ruined it. Ended that decade with Hearts first trophy in eons, and most importantly was capable of enjoying it in the correct style. :cool:

I'm good where I am.

9 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Respect to your grandad. My ancestors fought too. Both world wars. I only exist because of the second one. 👍❤️

Likewise, my grandparents only met because he was a German PoW, he'd have been nowhere near Scotland otherwise. 

Mac_fae_Gillie

Born 1968, well happy with this

70s just a routine primary school years

80s my teen years best music, Hearts of Robbie and JC etc 1986 run

90s Happy Mondays/Oasis things looking good. (Joined Army 89,so lived Germany half of 90s and NI/Canada too)

2000..darn hit 32 survived Y2K though, civvie scum 2001 (2 days before 911) few years of great life but I think 2008 bank crash and terrorism has just put a gloom on the world and me hitting 40 then 50 I'm turning into Mr Grumpy. with added Mr Bump.

A Boy Named Crow

I'd like to have been born around the turn of the 20th century, but I'd also need to be a absolutely minted. You know Ralph Feines' character in The English Patient? Something like that. Just cutting about Africa or wherever, mapping it all out, what a life!

1981 was my lot though...

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Horatio Caine
20 hours ago, micole said:

I was a child of the 50's 1952 to be exact. Remember Hearts winning the big league 1959/60. And as for music well it was the best of times The sixties early mid seventies, it just couldn't be beat IMO. 

Me too.  The music was great.  Watched Hearts lose the league to Killie in 1965 though...

3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Can we all agree socially and culturally the world has already peaked and is on a downward spiral aye? 

No arguments from me. I look back on the 90's what I remember, and 2000's fondly, but everything since 2010, has just been shite.

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Can we all agree socially and culturally the world has already peaked and is on a downward spiral aye? 

Nope.

On 24/02/2020 at 11:35, AlphonseCapone said:

I could have written this word for word.

I do wish I was alive during the war though. That might sound bizarre to most but I would have loved to have fought in the war.

4 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

I do wish I was alive during the war though. That might sound bizarre to most but I would have loved to have fought in the war.

😳

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Stop watching American war movies.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Stop watching American war movies.

Nothing to do with movies mate 👍.

Love how someone can post a question on here, someone gives an answer based on their opinion and their life - but of course its shot down. I even said in my post that it probably sounds bizarre to most. 

Keep on patronising though.

23 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Listen to Imagine by JL and then tell me we've peaked. 

Born in 74 so really can't complain but would have loved to have been about 10 years older living through the post punk music scene and seeing the Smiths,  Joy Division, New Order, PIL, early Simple Minds, OMD, REM etc.

...as opposed to seeing Shed Seven and buying Menswear albums.

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Nothing to do with movies mate 👍.

Love how someone can post a question on here, someone gives an answer based on their opinion and their life - but of course its shot down. I even said in my post that it probably sounds bizarre to most. 

Keep on patronising though.

I agree bizarre.

John Gentleman
On 25/02/2020 at 18:04, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye. Welcome to the start of the end of the Anthropocene.

Like all good things.......

Born in 1960.More than happy with that apart from Hearts being crap for most of my early years.

First game at Tynecastle 1/1/73.

Got into the  Stones off my mothers collection and Roy Orbison off my dads.

Love of westerns off my dad and then caught all the super groups,glam rock,punk and new wave,2tone and 80's indie.

Great if normal life.Love art galleries now.Wished I done it earlier.

Beautiful daughter with a beautiful grandson.

Cannot complain

I was born in 63. I had a great childhood, and it was a childhood. I don’t think kids today really get one. Too much available information puts pressure on em from early age. I’ve seen West Ham win trophies, I’ve seen Hearts win trophies. I’ve seen great musicians and bands. I don’t think I’d swap it for another era but Always thought being a teenager when rock n roll first happened must have been great