Bands you saw but wish you hadn't.

Dawnrazor

Oh here! UB40!

Went to a gig to see them in Glasgow a few years ago... no Ali or Astro. Hadn’t kept up with the whole split and shit. Bitterly disappointed! Not what I was expecting at all.

Deacon Blue, I was trying ti gain access to a pair of knickers belong to a girl from Roslin, she liked them so i got tickes for the second of the two nights they played at the playhouse, poor gig and not a sniff.

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Deacon Blue, I was trying ti gain access to a pair of knickers belong to a girl from Roslin, she liked them so i got tickes for the second of the two nights they played at the playhouse, poor gig and not a sniff.

Saw them at the Party at the Palace a few years ago... they were alright. Wasn’t expecting anything earth shattering though tbf. 👍

(my lunch was packed in a Sunblest bag, when I was a nipper)

I saw Texas at the indoor arena in Cardiff about 12 years or so ago. No great shakes.  Not sure it was worth leaving the house  for.

Sharleen's "see me, I'm pure Glasgow, by the way?" patter got a bit boring.

B52s at Barrowlands about 25 years ago was a bit of a non-event. That makes me feel very old.

24 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I did most of the tour in 1990 with them, it was either Epic or The Real Thing they were touring, Fields of the Nephilim were between touring a single then the album, so with hehaw to me and a few others followed Faith No More, a truly truly fantastic live act, one of the very best I've seen. 

We tried to get tickets for them in Amsterdam in July but it had sold out before we got paid, pretty gutted but there you go. I'm not in your league but I've seen three tours and pretty satisfied with my lot really.

SectionDJambo

Years ago, my mate used to ask me to go along to see various bands at the old Odeon in Clerk Street. Usually, they were ok. Saw Eddie and The Hot Rods, when only about 100 punters turned up. They were not bad to be fair, and put on a show despite the scant numbers, which they said they would do.

However, one of the bands we went to see was UFO. My mate loved it, him being a heavy metal guy. I thought they were awful. Just a noise from start to finish, surrounded by head bangers.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

U2, don't know what I was thinking tbh

Very much this. I got dragged along to a gig at Earl’s Court in London on the Achtung Baby tour. Basically I was doing a favour to a friend who had a spare ticket.

I wouldn’t say they were absolutely awful, but wild horses couldn’t drag me to see them again. 

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Portishead in the mid nineties. For the rather odd reason that they were too good at reproducing the sound of the album. There was no live edge to it, I could have saved a lot of cash by sitting at home listening to the album on my hifi with a glass of wine and a spliff. 

There’s a whole new thread in there. Better to hear your favourite songs just as they are on record or better to hear the artist do something slightly different with them?

I’m going to see Costello at the Usher Hall in a couple of weeks. He frequently does something a wee bit different with his songs. Unfortunately, as with Dylan, that something different often involves murdering his best lines.

scott herbertson

10cc - lost two hours of my life just after they brought out the album with I'm not in love' on it (at the Usher hall in 1970 whatever it was). They sat/stood motionless on stage for 2 hours while tapes whirred with exactly the same sound as the album tracks coming out of the speakers.

mindnumbingly boring and i walked out half way through

44 minutes ago, leginten said:

There’s a whole new thread in there. Better to hear your favourite songs just as they are on record or better to hear the artist do something slightly different with them?

I’m going to see Costello at the Usher Hall in a couple of weeks. He frequently does something a wee bit different with his songs. Unfortunately, as with Dylan, that something different often involves murdering his best lines.

The main issue with much of the electronic music that I like/liked. The ones who smash through that are the best. 👍

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Years ago, my mate used to ask me to go along to see various bands at the old Odeon in Clerk Street. Usually, they were ok. Saw Eddie and The Hot Rods, when only about 100 punters turned up. They were not bad to be fair, and put on a show despite the scant numbers, which they said they would do.

However, one of the bands we went to see was UFO. My mate loved it, him being a heavy metal guy. I thought they were awful. Just a noise from start to finish, surrounded by head bangers.

lol - think I was at the gig. My friend was an usher at the cinema and got me in on a comp (I had a spacey album of there's which was ok). They had changed to pure heavy metal and they had speakers all the way up to the roof - thought my ears were going to burst and couldn't make out any notes.

I retired to the pub across the road and you could hear the noise across South Clerk Street every time thepub door opened to let someone in, it was that loud.

10 hours ago, benny said:

Bruce Springsteen Newcastle.

Stated off good but after an hour I was thinking just go off now.

Sadly he played hours more.

1984? If so , was there , loved it. 

Otherwise its Rod Stewart for me circa 1992 at Parkheid. TBF he had laryngitis but I thought he was taking the piss going on stage. Brutal. Literally couldnt sing a note.

Everyone just stared at the sky waiting on his missus to arrive by helicopter. Or maybe praying for the misery to end. Its hard to remember now. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Liquid Gold, Mercury club, Hms Mercury 1979.

Bad Manners, Collingwood Club just before Christmas 1982.

Both shite and that is being kind.

SectionDJambo
51 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

lol - think I was at the gig. My friend was an usher at the cinema and got me in on a comp (I had a spacey album of there's which was ok). They had changed to pure heavy metal and they had speakers all the way up to the roof - thought my ears were going to burst and couldn't make out any notes.

I retired to the pub across the road and you could hear the noise across South Clerk Street every time thepub door opened to let someone in, it was that loud.

It was certainly loud and, for me, incomprehensible. Other punters seemed to be enjoying it though, including my mate.

russell haswell. he was on as support to sleaford mods at the barrowlands. awful

chumbawumba were bad at an early t in the park,as were the crash test dummies.

5 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

RHCP at Murrayfileld in 2004. I was working there so I didn't pay thankfully. What a letdown. Wrong venue entirely for them that day. Sound was crap. Pity as I really like them. 

My mrs at the time got comps from tennents or carlsberg for that. I quite liked Ash so we stayed for them then got talking to an Aberdeen boy at the beer tent who was trying to impress his burd so we sold him our pitch tickets for 50 quid and fecked off to the pub 👍

7 hours ago, micole said:

Saw Dylan a couple of times ,the first time he was brilliant  mid 80's second time he was absolute dog shite ,late 90's, I was gutted as I love the man and his music. That's the thing with Dylan he is either great or rubbish it all depends on how you get him.

I saw him a couple of years ago and nearly cried with relief that he was brilliant.

Ive loved him since I was a kid but had heard he could be cack if he wasn’t in the mood

10 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Eminem, Xibit, Cypress Hill and Snoop Dogg at Hampden (think it was 2003).  Got a free ticket off my mate.  Wish I hadn't bothered.  Utterly over-hyped bullshit.  Funny though when Eminem came out and said "whatsup Edinboro" :laugh2:.  

Saw him at T in the Park at Balado and he did wxactly the same!

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Liquid Gold, Mercury club, Hms Mercury 1979.

Bad Manners, Collingwood Club just before Christmas 1982.

Both shite and that is being kind.

I saw Bad Manners at RAF Cosford in 1980 and they were brilliant 

Human League at the Playhouse in the 80’s. I loved them and still do but they were so ******* boring.

Bunnymen in Glasgow a couple of years ago. One of my favourite ever bands but Mac was so pished/stoned he forgot words, cried and challenged folk to fight. People were booing.

A couple of weeks ago I saw Sturgill Simpson at the Fruitmarket in the Weej. Dreadful. Love his records but live he was awful. I was reading kickback during the gig, that’s how bad it was 😀

scott herbertson

Wu tang clan in London in their early days

was really looking forward to it and persuaded a mate to come along

thry did 2 minutes and blew the speakers Gig cancelled - cost me a fortune and I never did get to see them. Similar with a London rap band called the Brotherhood. Speakers blew

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

You ain't seen nothin yet, mate....

:phface:

😂😂😂😂

I had a wee bit of Whisky in a Jar to sooth the pain...🤟

Edited by micole

The headboys  supporting cafe jaques at Potterrow.The "lead singer" put four pints down between the legs of his mike stand and proceeded to pretend he was rod stewart spilling all four over the stage  utter rubbish :- two weeks later they were on TOTP.
Japan supporting Hackett at the Odeon were also chronic beyond belief
I should also mention Argent at the Caley it was a Qaudrophonic concert but I was stuck in front of the bass speaker stack to this day no idea what quad sounds like

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I saw Bad Manners at RAF Cosford in 1980 and they were brilliant 

Saw the navy whip the RAF 9-1 at boxing at RAF gosford in 1980. Far better than bad manners.

The Darkness - Edinburgh Corn Exchange. No idea what I was doing there tbh. Think it was a winter time gig as I seem to recall they played their xmas song and have some fake snow stuff showering the place. 

I was waaay off to the side of the stage pretty far back from the stage, next to one of the wee Beer serving windows drinking my pint and at one point the singer chap had Crowd Surfed (well a pre-planned Surf it seems with some roadies carrying him) mid guitar playing and passed me giving it big licks and looking for some kind of fan appreciation.....

I just stone walled Justin Hakwins at that moment... :pleasing:

Not for me -thought plenty other folk there seemed to love the whole Spinal Tap show. 

12 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

The Darkness - Edinburgh Corn Exchange. No idea what I was doing there tbh. Think it was a winter time gig as I seem to recall they played their xmas song and have some fake snow stuff showering the place. 

I was waaay off to the side of the stage pretty far back from the stage, next to one of the wee Beer serving windows drinking my pint and at one point the singer chap had Crowd Surfed (well a pre-planned Surf it seems with some roadies carrying him) mid guitar playing and passed me giving it big licks and looking for some kind of fan appreciation.....

I just stone walled Justin Hakwins at that moment... :pleasing:

Not for me -thought plenty other folk there seemed to love the whole Spinal Tap show. 

To be fair I saw them at T in the Park - a few years after they headlined and they played their christmas song on the second week of July when the weather was pretty decent and we were just staring at each other thinking WTF!

I also saw them headline in 2004 and thought they were crap and went to see Muse who put on a really decent show on the second stage.

I'm a big fan of Mark Lanegan's music but something was off at last year's gig at the Liquid Rooms.  The stage was barely lit and he wasn't singing lyrics at times and the guitarist took over and the gig was abandoned after an hour.

Saw Goldfrapp at the Corn Exchange on the Seventh Tree tour.  Several songs were started and abandoned and gig lasted an hour with no explanation.  Hope its better this year at the Usher Hall...

Dagger Is Back
23 hours ago, neilnunb said:

The Nolans. I was 8 at the time though.

🤭

Oops me too at the Playhouse. Absolutely no defence 

21 hours ago, micole said:

Bay City Rollers. Let me explain, I was in a band and we were doing well on the local scene and a meeting was set up with us and Tam Paton. The meeting was to take place at The Olympia in EK and it just so happened that The Rollers were on that night ( this was just before they made it big), anyhoo needless to say we did not get anywhere with Mr Paton however we did stay to listen to them and by christ !! they were awful, none of them apart for the basspayer could play but the women loved them ( me jealous never)......😂😂

Oh Christ. Another oops. Odeon this time. Guilty as charged m’lud

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

REM at Murrayfield was shit.

Heart (dragged along by mate,  the *****).

Oi! I quite like Heart especially their earlier stuff

14 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

10cc - lost two hours of my life just after they brought out the album with I'm not in love' on it (at the Usher hall in 1970 whatever it was). They sat/stood motionless on stage for 2 hours while tapes whirred with exactly the same sound as the album tracks coming out of the speakers.

mindnumbingly boring and i walked out half way through

Supertramp were the support act. I enjoyed it. 1975. 

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Supertramp were the support act. I enjoyed it. 1975. 

I think I missed the support (would have remembered it) - looking back would have much preferred to see supertramp than 10cc

Just now, scott herbertson said:

I think I missed the support (would have remembered it) - looking back would have much preferred to see supertramp than 10cc

10cc were geniuses in the studio but not really live performers. 

scott herbertson
14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yes - and Graham Gouldman wrote some great songs for others - For Your Love and Heart full of Soul for the yardbirds and some great songs for the Holies including one of the best pop singles of all time  IMO "Bus Stop", Tallyman for Jeff Beck too.

11 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Has anyone been to an Ian Mccullough solo acoustic gig? Blody hell that's an experience!!!

Seen Echo and the Bunnymen a few times. It feels like it's diminishing returns these days.

McCulloch seems like a car crash waiting to happen. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
31 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Seen Echo and the Bunnymen a few times. It feels like it's diminishing returns these days.

I wen't to see the Bunnymen at the Usher Hall a couple of years ago, the gig was OK, nothing special, but McCulloch got really stroppy with someone in the crowd a couple of times and kind of lost a lot more of those there that night by being a bit of a **** 

57 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes - and Graham Gouldman wrote some great songs for others - For Your Love and Heart full of Soul for the yardbirds and some great songs for the Holies including one of the best pop singles of all time  IMO "Bus Stop", Tallyman for Jeff Beck too.

Yip. Not a great singer but amazing songwriter. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Did you ever see them live? I went to the One Night in Paris tour at the Apollo with the original line up, mid 70's, they were to my complete surprise fantastic a truly memorable gig, well for me anyway.

scott herbertson
49 minutes ago, micole said:

Did you ever see them live? I went to the One Night in Paris tour at the Apollo with the original line up, mid 70's, they were to my complete surprise fantastic a truly memorable gig, well for me anyway.

Dave and I were both at a gig they did in 1975 - see above. Just their studio album perfect but no life, no movement and no 'live' feeling for me. The audience stayed in their seats throughout. Lots of prerecorded stuff coming through the speakers  is how I remember it

54 minutes ago, micole said:

Yes, Usher Hall 1975

2 hours ago, CF11JamTart said:

He has cleaned up his act

Probably due to there being more money in playing live than in recordings

14 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Has anyone been to an Ian Mccullough solo acoustic gig? Blody hell that's an experience!!!

I read about his gig in Japan 2017, when he freaked out and decided to fly back to the UK, fearing a nuclear war was about to start.😂

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

REM at Murrafield (I like REM, just a shite gig).

Oasis at Inglestone (Ocean Colour Scene supported) was the worst gig I've ever been at. Both bands were shit, no idea why I went really.

I was also at the previously mentioned Mark Lanegan gig at the Liquid Rooms. Fortunately I was a bit too pissed to realise he'd walked off (in my defence, I was upstairs and couldn't really see the stage).

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Pixies at Meadowbank were dire, although i was quite far back and ther sound just was not carrying at all.

And Dylan at The Playhouse in the eaerly-90s i think. Should have been memorable as i was in the fourth row but it was unintellible drivel from the start. I am cool with musicians tinkering with their songs to keep it interesting but he was just butchering them beyond all recognition.

2 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

REM at Murrafield (I like REM, just a shite gig).

Oasis at Inglestone (Ocean Colour Scene supported) was the worst gig I've ever been at. Both bands were shit, no idea why I went really.

I was also at the previously mentioned Mark Lanegan gig at the Liquid Rooms. Fortunately I was a bit too pissed to realise he'd walked off (in my defence, I was upstairs and couldn't really see the stage).

Didn't help that REM were promoting a weaker album that day (Monster)?