Bands you saw but wish you hadn't.

Dawnrazor

Rainbow.

Richie Blackmore was the last member of the classic Deep Purple line up and he was in complete couldn't-be-arsed mode at the Playhouse mid-80s.

Such a disappointment.

20 minutes ago, Boof said:

Rainbow.

Richie Blackmore was the last member of the classic Deep Purple line up and he was in complete couldn't-be-arsed mode at the Playhouse mid-80s.

Such a disappointment.

He was better at Ingliston in 1980. :rock2:

Never been to a gig that left me disappointed tbh.

The Clash at Craigmillar maybe. But they didn't show, so different story. 

Shanks said no

Adam Ant at the Picturehouse, he was awful. Surprisingly friends saw him at other gigs and thought he was good, so maybe just an off night.

Mrs F took me to see Nathan Carter at the Corn Exchange last year. I didn't have a clue who he was. Transpired he was a younger version of Daniel O'Donnell. We lasted about 5 songs and agreed we would better leave.

Portishead in the mid nineties. For the rather odd reason that they were too good at reproducing the sound of the album. There was no live edge to it, I could have saved a lot of cash by sitting at home listening to the album on my hifi with a glass of wine and a spliff. 

Bay City Rollers. Let me explain, I was in a band and we were doing well on the local scene and a meeting was set up with us and Tam Paton. The meeting was to take place at The Olympia in EK and it just so happened that The Rollers were on that night ( this was just before they made it big), anyhoo needless to say we did not get anywhere with Mr Paton however we did stay to listen to them and by christ !! they were awful, none of them apart for the basspayer could play but the women loved them ( me jealous never)......😂😂

Edited by micole

Carl Fredrickson

I used to do first aid duties at the Playhouse and Ingliston in the 80s so I have a long, long, long list of gigs that were a pain to attend. 

Wham at Ingliston (84?) must have been the worst though 

Салатные палочки

Eminem, Xibit, Cypress Hill and Snoop Dogg at Hampden (think it was 2003).  Got a free ticket off my mate.  Wish I hadn't bothered.  Utterly over-hyped bullshit.  Funny though when Eminem came out and said "whatsup Edinboro" :laugh2:.  

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, felix said:

He was better at Ingliston in 1980. :rock2:

I was at that. Good enough gig but I thought the guitar smashing on top of the amps was a bit pathetic. 

1 hour ago, benny said:

Bruce Springsteen Newcastle.

Stated off good but after an hour I was thinking just go off now.

Sadly he played hours more.

Born in the USA tour? 

If so, my first experience of the Boss live. Not a disappointment for me. 

My own let-down was seeing the Rolling Stones at Twickenham. It was a gig that was rescheduled from May until August as Jagger had taken ill at the end of that tour. It was pretty clear that the band hadn't done too much rehearsal or sound-checking. A sign of how poor they were was that the best bit was when the Young brothers came on for a blues jam.

When we were leaving, folk around me were saying, "that could be the last time we see them." (this was more than ten years ago). All I could think was, "I bloody hope so." £85 and a Saturday afternoon wasted.  

William H. Bonney

Not sure if I’d ever regret seeing a band live but meatloaf was ****ing terrible when I saw him. 
REM weren’t particularly great either at murrayfield. 

David Duchovny 2016 - Went with the wife for a laugh and it was a total cringe. Like someones uncle badly singing at a party. 

Black Grape 2018 - They were just awful. And I had very low expectations before the gig.

The Strokes at All Points East 2019 - sound quality was pitiful, left well before the end. I really love The Strokes as well, so it was a right kick in the sacks. Plus their set lists nowadays are unimaginative and predictable.

My Mum took me to T in the Park for a daytrip in either 2004. She wanted to go and I pestered her to take me so she did.

Saw a few that day of what we liked at the time, however bear in mind I was 9 so this doesn't reflect my overall music taste. Black Eyed Peas were alright, Pink was ****ing shite and to top it off, while my Mum wanted to see Muse headline the NME stage, I loved The Darkness :what: so she let me go see them instead. I feel bad for putting her through that, and I remember her staring over jealously at those who were witnessing Muse. I'd have much preferred that if I went now.

Looking at the line up that year, I can't believe the great bands I could've seen instead. I guess that was my Mum's lesson to never take a 9 year old to a music festival.

I don't regret it as it got my into his music more as a kid but my initial thoughts on BoB Dylan (mid-00s) was 'drunken bum'.

Propped up by his keyboard stand sounding like an old man having a rant outside the Galleon.

The Nanobots at the The Ferry in Glasgow.Utter utter shite.

Bryan Adams at Celtic Park about 1993.Best bit was when he fell on his arse.

Neds Atomic Dustbin at the Ayr Pavilion.I swear the promoter had over sold the capacity by three times.

We spent the whole gig recovering crowd surfing band members back to the stage.

Saw Fish in the O2 in Sauchiehall Street about 2/3 years ago.****ing dreadful dirge.

48 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't regret it as it got my into his music more as a kid but my initial thoughts on BoB Dylan (mid-00s) was 'drunken bum'.

Propped up by his keyboard stand sounding like an old man having a rant outside the Galleon.

Saw Dylan a couple of times ,the first time he was brilliant  mid 80's second time he was absolute dog shite ,late 90's, I was gutted as I love the man and his music. That's the thing with Dylan he is either great or rubbish it all depends on how you get him.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

See when you hear Sam Smith, George Ezra and Lewis Capaldi on the radio about 4 million times and really wish you hadn't... does that count?

That George Ezra grates on me so he does, just one of them voices.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Brian Adams at Murrayfield, not my choice but I got a ticket off a mate and his girlfriend who had a spare, you can't turn down a freeby! Adams was awful, generic rock by numbers!

I was dragged along to see Badly Drawn Boy at the Corn exchange ( anyone remember him not), worse gig ever!

Saw Amy Winehouse at T in The park, really felt sorry for the poor lass as she struggled through the set. She was talented and now sadly missed but she was well out of it that day!

RHCP at Murrayfileld in 2004. I was working there so I didn't pay thankfully. What a letdown. Wrong venue entirely for them that day. Sound was crap. Pity as I really like them. 

Cooper Temple Clause (anybody remember these wanks?)

Luckily I hadn't gone to see them as headliners, but to see their two support bands.

One of them was a band of my friends and co-workers and opened the night.

The middle act was three young laddies that had just released their first album.

Biffy Clyro, I think their name was.

After The Biff tore the roof off the place, Cooper took 45 minutes to set u p their stage stuff, by which time everybody had fecked off.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

See when you hear Sam Smith, George Ezra and Lewis Capaldi on the radio about 4 million times and really wish you hadn't... does that count?

Add Paolo Nutini to that list, Maroon 5 too. Music for birds in offices.

This is a really tricky one. Good thread...

I saw Björk (who I love) at a Greenpeace gig in Iceland about five years ago. She was a bit shit on the day, in terms of fans of her music enjoying her performance. She was there to promote a charitable cause though, and not to play her classics... so... 🤷‍♂️

Cant really think of anyone that I loved, that I’ve gone along to see and been left seriously disappointed by, to the point of wishing I had never bothered. Closest is probably Ian Brown. I already knew that he was shit at singing live though.

33 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

RHCP at Murrayfileld in 2004. I was working there so I didn't pay thankfully. What a letdown. Wrong venue entirely for them that day. Sound was crap. Pity as I really like them. 

Was made a bit better by England getting beaten by France. I even managed to get a Vive la France chant going, and Kiedis ended up announcing it on stage.

“England have just been ****ed in the football”, if I remember correctly. 😄😎 

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

My mate had 2 tickets to see Judas Priest supported by Iron Maiden about 1978.

His pal pulled out so I went along and never felt so out of place in my life with all these metal heads.

Absolutely hated it and couldn't wait to get out the place.

12 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

This is a really tricky one. Good thread...

I saw Björk (who I love) at a Greenpeace gig in Iceland about five years ago. She was a bit shit on the day, in terms of fans of her music enjoying her performance. She was there to promote a charitable cause though, and not to play her classics... so... 🤷‍♂️

Cant really think of anyone that I loved, that I’ve gone along to see and been left seriously disappointed by, to the point of wishing I had never bothered. Closest is probably Ian Brown. I already knew that he was shit at singing live though.

We were talking about Bjork the other day. I'm not into what she does, I dont care for that style at all, but I'm really really glad there are mental human beings like her doing mental human stuff like she does. So I kind of absolutely love what she does too.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We were talking about Bjork the other day. I'm not into what she does, I dont care for that style at all, but I'm really really glad there are mental human beings like her doing mental human stuff like she does. So I kind of absolutely love what she does too.

She is definitely an acquired taste, my friend!

Thing is, she is someone who does not want to be pigeon-holed in to a genre, and because of that, her performances are diverse. What happens with that, is folk who like her style at one point, can not like it later on... she is more concerned with using her art to promote causes that she is passionate about, as far as I can make out.

I love her Sugar Cubes stuff, and things like Big Time Sensuality are a part of my youth. Happy memories of getting up to no good to a soundtrack that included these songs. 😄

In many ways she was better being diverse, and not being U2 and just trotting out the same thing over three different decades, I suppose! 

Love Björk. 😎

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Bjork has made some crackers.

Huge fan, mate. You don’t need to convince me. Varying degrees of appreciation over her varied output. ❤️

The Greenpeace thing was very themed though, and she wasn’t just there playing her top hits. She spent most of her time dressed in weird shit narrating about wildlife.

Of Monsters and Men were as good as they always are at the gig. 👍

14 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

She is definitely an acquired taste, my friend!

Thing is, she is someone who does not want to be pigeon-holed in to a genre, and because of that, her performances are diverse. What happens with that, is folk who like her style at one point, can not like it later on... she is more concerned with using her art to promote causes that she is passionate about, as far as I can make out.

I love her Sugar Cubes stuff, and things like Big Time Sensuality are a part of my youth. Happy memories of getting up to no good to a soundtrack that included these songs. 😄

In many ways she was better being diverse, and not being U2 and just trotting out the same thing over three different decades, I suppose! 

Love Björk. 😎

My favourite singer in this world is Mike Patton, he's just incredible. I feel so lucky that Faith no more were my second gig as a young shaver and I got in early.

Yet I reckon I personally like about 20% of what he does. His diversity is mental, and I wouldn't change a single thing.

Mon the mentalists!

Edited by Smithee

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

My favourite singer in this world is Mike Patton, he's just incredible. I feel so lucky that Faith no more were my second gig as a young shaver and I got in early.

Yet I reckon I personally like about 20% of what he does. His diversity is mental, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Mon the mentalists!

:wub:

Good man. One of my absolute favourite bands of all time are Primal Scream. They are not the most musically perfect band out there, and many folk would wonder what the fuss is about. I have loved most of everything they have ever done though, despite the diversity in styles. Fair enough imo. 😎

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Cooper Temple Clause (anybody remember these wanks?)

Luckily I hadn't gone to see them as headliners, but to see their two support bands.

One of them was a band of my friends and co-workers and opened the night.

The middle act was three young laddies that had just released their first album.

Biffy Clyro, I think their name was.

After The Biff tore the roof off the place, Cooper took 45 minutes to set u p their stage stuff, by which time everybody had fecked off.

Was this at La Belle Angelle around about 2001?? 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yet I reckon I personally like about 20% of what he does. His diversity is mental, and I wouldn't change a single thing.

Mon the mentalists!

I did most of the tour in 1990 with them, it was either Epic or The Real Thing they were touring, Fields of the Nephilim were between touring a single then the album, so with hehaw to me and a few others followed Faith No More, a truly truly fantastic live act, one of the very best I've seen.