“An Easy Ride...”

busby1985

....not that kind of ride 👀

My hibs supporting friend (Sadly I have one) said to me yesterday after their game that he felt Hibs get a bit of an easy ride due to the fact that Hearts are a bit of shambles just now. Says he thinks there is no pressure due to our situation. Finished 4th under Lennon (should’ve been second but bottled it), then 5th (only 3 points ahead of us) and now sitting 6th with as much points between finishing 8th as there is finishing 3rd. The example he used was that after yesterday’s game, if Hearts had been above Hibs in the league rather than below them, fans wouldn’t be happy with the performance. Last minute winner vs Hamilton at home, draws with St Mirren and Livingston etc at home. He said that when they are good, they are really good but when they aren’t, they are awful. Also not happy with the loan culture at the club and developing other teams “stars”. Docherty looking like another Scott Allen situation, great for 4 months then away back to his club, same with McNulty. 

So here’s a question. Do both sets of fans allow a culture of allowing their team to decline as long as they don’t decline worse than the other? Is bragging rights really more important than tangible success? Watched videos of Hibs fans on the train home singing about “mind the gap” between 12th and 6th, like it’s anything to be proud of really. We are guilty of the same. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• busby1985

• August Landmesser

• Jamhammer

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

My hibs supporting friend (Sadly I have one) said to me yesterday after their game that he felt Hibs get a bit of an easy ride due to the fact that Hearts are a bit of shambles just now. Says he thinks there is no pressure due to our situation. Finished 4th under Lennon (should’ve been second but bottled it), then 5th (only 3 points ahead of us) and now sitting 6th with as much points between finishing 8th as there is finishing 3rd. The example he used was that after yesterday’s game, if Hearts had been above Hibs in the league rather than below them, fans wouldn’t be happy with the performance. Last minute winner vs Hamilton at home, draws with St Mirren and Livingston etc at home. He said that when they are good, they are really good but when they aren’t, they are awful. Also not happy with the loan culture at the club and developing other teams “stars”. Docherty looking like another Scott Allen situation, great for 4 months then away back to his club, same with McNulty. 

So here’s a question. Do both sets of fans allow a culture of allowing their team to decline as long as they don’t decline worse than the other? Is bragging rights really more important than tangible success? Watched videos of Hibs fans on the train home singing about “mind the gap” between 12th and 6th, like it’s anything to be proud of really. We are guilty of the same. 

Read it now.

They do, definitely, we do to a lesser extent but still do.

Hibby at my work was saying similar to me the other day. Look at it this way, they're on course for a 50 point season, which is decidedly average at best. We're letting them off the hook.

But then that makes our situ all the more galling. The rest of the non OF league are shite. We should be sloshing 3rd. Look at the points totals this year, our league is drearier than ever this season imo, only compounded by the depressing return of dual arsecheek dominance

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Read it now.

They do, definitely, we do to a lesser extent but still do.

Hibby at my work was saying similar to me the other day. Look at it this way, they're on course for a 50 point season, which is decidedly average at best. We're letting them off the hook.

But then that makes our situ all the more galling. The rest of the non OF league are shite. We should be sloshing 3rd. Look at the points totals this year, our league is drearier than ever this season imo, only compounded by the depressing return of dual arsecheek dominance

My mum agrees....

Yeah no doubting or any point arguing we aren’t having anything other than a shambolic few years. Their obsession with being above us is stopping them from kicking on. Doesn’t help that they also get such an easy ride from the media. You’d honestly believe hibs where the 3rd best side in Scotland the way the media bangs on about them and Ross. Like I said, they are as close to 8th as they are to 3rd. 

I like to laugh at Hibs and their delusional support. I have friends who are Hibs ST holders and they’ve pretty much said the same thing as the OPs mate. On their day they’re alright, particularly going forward but their defence is poor and they lack bite. (Sounds familiar dunnit)?

We’re just worse. It doesn’t happen often and won’t last. 
BTW my pals are also concerned about their owner and their financial situation to the extent they’re harping back to Hands off Hibs days. 
I don’t go on mysisterismymumandthemotherofmychild.net but they do make me chuckle the inbred rats

Ex member of the SaS

You guys have it easy. My brother supports them. ( fortunately he hasn't been to a game in many years so it's easy pickings. )  

Given that both of us very rarely win cups I'd say getting one over each is high on the priority list. We have failed spectacularly over the last few years.

3 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Given that both of us very rarely win cups I'd say getting one over each is high on the priority list. We have failed spectacularly over the last few years.

If the last few years means , say the last decade , we have the better head to head record yet again . 

I think it’s natural for local rivals to take comfort from any failings each other have.  For example, finishing second in the league would normally be seen as a big positive, .but finishing second behind Hibs...not so much. 

Neither Hearts nor Hibs have any real chance of winning the league with the current set up. Winning cups is an absolute rarity so finishing above your rivals gives the better club that season something to gloat about. I think both clubs are guilty of massively underperforming in terms of silverware and placings. 

I would say though, that it seems like we have high standards. We expect 3rd every season and get annoyed at the club/manager/players when that isn't delivered. Hibs have been our whipping boys pretty much nonstop till Neilson changed the mentality (IMO) to this fixture by trying to downplay it. 

I think things have been a bit more even the last 5 years or so but our standards (as a fan base) seem to be more around finishing 3rd which by extension would mean above hibs. 

Hibs are desperate for a level playing field what ever that is?

Apparently you can only measure results between the 2 clubs when this mysterious field is “level”

When the field is not “level” all results during this period are not only null and void, they are financially skewed and “doped”.

In order for results between the 2 clubs to be fair, our financial position must be “level” with theirs. We must not pay our players more, our turnover must not be more than theirs and we can not include any benefactor donations because these “uneven” the playing field and again results are “doped”

This logic is absolutely correct and gives comfort to every supporter in England outside the big 4. 

After all it’s only fair that clubs like Norwich can say results against power houses like City and Liverpool when the playing field down there is so “un level”

Perhaps our results up here V Celtic can be written off as doped?

Can we hope for a level playing field against the OF?

I mean it’s only fair we completely ignore there financial clout right?

21 minutes ago, ramrod said:

If the last few years means , say the last decade , we have the better head to head record yet again . 

I mean last few years, since RN left. Obviously it's good to still have one over them when it comes to head to head but overall league positions in that time has been poor from us.

Captain Canada

They're a strange bunch. They've got a chance of finishing 3rd this season after a poor start but still aren't happy. 

Really hope we can do the double at Fester Road! 

Historically they are our bitches. Think they’d need to beat us in every fixture for 30 years or something to change that. 

ToadKiller Dog

Looks like roughly a standard season for hibs ,round about mid table historically are they not since smaller leagues came into being ?.

Its us that have totalty and completely been underachieving for a few seasons now .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

They are 18 points better off than our losers.

:vrface:

Considering how bad we are and how good they supposedly are you’d think it would be more. As above they’re bang average but we have been shite for a couple of seasons. Still managed to beat them a couple of times as bad as we’ve been

They are performing roughly as expected. No top 3 finish for 15 years and only 4 top 4 in the last 20 I believe.  We expect much better because historically we are.

13 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

They are performing roughly as expected. No top 3 finish for 15 years and only 4 top 4 in the last 20 I believe.  We expect much better because historically we are.

That’s a preferable context. 😄

Strange strange thread.  I can’t remember the last time we had a better season than them.  Shows how much that ***** Levein ran us into the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Strange strange thread.  I can’t remember the last time we had a better season than them.  Shows how much that ***** Levein ran us into the ground. 

Really? You honestly can’t? Sounds like you drink more than me. 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Really? You honestly can’t? Sounds like you drink more than me. 

Season we shagged the championship with them in it I think.  I’ve no got the appetite to rip they peg selling wanks on the field at the 

moment. 

And tbh I probably do. I’ve had about two hours sleep and making Sunday breakfast for wee shites nursing a ****er of a hangover having been up watching the boxing. 

Edited by Last Laff

Just now, Last Laff said:

Season we shagged the championship with them in it I think.  I’ve no got the appetite to rip they peg selling wanks on the field at the 

moment. 

It’s temporary mate. We’ll be on top again soon. Everything just seems a long way off just now.

6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Think you’ve missed my point. No argument they are miles ahead of us and that is purely down to Levein and his disastrous reign, something that’s been done to death on here.

My point was more about the fact that Hibs don’t seem to care about their own side as long as we are doing crap. The media have Hibs as the 3rd best side in the country with Ross the 3rd best manager behind Lennon and Gerrard. They are as close to 8th as they are to 3rd but after draws at home to Livi etc their fans don’t seem to care due to us being crap. Just seems strange to me that they aren’t harder on their side. 

48 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Hibs are desperate for a level playing field what ever that is?

Apparently you can only measure results between the 2 clubs when this mysterious field is “level”

When the field is not “level” all results during this period are not only null and void, they are financially skewed and “doped”.

In order for results between the 2 clubs to be fair, our financial position must be “level” with theirs. We must not pay our players more, our turnover must not be more than theirs and we can not include any benefactor donations because these “uneven” the playing field and again results are “doped”

This logic is absolutely correct and gives comfort to every supporter in England outside the big 4. 

After all it’s only fair that clubs like Norwich can say results against power houses like City and Liverpool when the playing field down there is so “un level”

Perhaps our results up here V Celtic can be written off as doped?

Can we hope for a level playing field against the OF?

I mean it’s only fair we completely ignore there financial clout right?

Really good post, Vlad. 

Sums up the reason why I fall out with these loons every time one crosses my path and why I'd switch paths to avoid the feckers if I see them coming. 

Total bampots who have their own rules and logic and exist in a utopia of flair, swashbuckling, Brazil discovering, European trailblazing and hertz cheating. 

Don't even bother trying to reason with them, would be my advice. 

33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s temporary mate. We’ll be on top again soon. Everything just seems a long way off just now.

Good man 👍

32 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Think you’ve missed my point. No argument they are miles ahead of us and that is purely down to Levein and his disastrous reign, something that’s been done to death on here.

My point was more about the fact that Hibs don’t seem to care about their own side as long as we are doing crap. The media have Hibs as the 3rd best side in the country with Ross the 3rd best manager behind Lennon and Gerrard. They are as close to 8th as they are to 3rd but after draws at home to Livi etc their fans don’t seem to care due to us being crap. Just seems strange to me that they aren’t harder on their side. 

Fair enough man.

While we are in a desperate situation, Hibs still can’t get into the top 3.  They’ve never been a top 3,4 club. 

That’s why there isn’t much noise from them really.  Nothing guy to brag about trying to sneak into the top 6 

They will enjoy their 4th season in a row finishing above us (their best since the 70s I’d imagine) but the bragging is somewhat muted. 

The days we often dominated league placings we were getting into the top 3 regularly. Only Hibs do hibsings.  

Edited by Debut 4

2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Hibs are 5 points behind Motherwell in 3rd and 4 points behind Aberdeen In 4th. They’ve also got an easy ride to Hampden. What more are they expecting? 

Absolute paraffin guzzling, sister infiltrating tramps.  

Edited by Mr Elwood P

3 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Noticed their crowds are down, maybe just telling the truth about them now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I really don't give a **** right now. Actually ever. Just another embarrassment to be behind them,  squandering of cash when you look at Motherwell or Livingston is purely down to poor football management. 

Plenty ammunition has been provided and blown

8 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Hibs may be on top now but it won't last forever, it goes in cycles and historically our periods on top last longer than theirs.

Correct, late 60s and 70s being a case in point

4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Championship season. Season after. Not that long ago. Course they were down there a lot longer than us 😀

10 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Championship season. Season after. Not that long ago. Course they were down there a lot longer than us 😀

Season after they won the cup.  We’ve not had a better season then they ***** since 2015 man.  We used to be better than them every single season apart from a fluke.  They sacked their manager for being shite, lost a derby at home and are still about 15 points ahead of us I hope we conspire to ram them next week and stop them making top six, make some decent derby cash and win three out of four, best that’s going to come of our season. 

38 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Hibs may be on top now but it won't last forever, it goes in cycles and historically our periods on top last longer than theirs.

I agree mostly with your point but I need to pick a hole (please😁).

Hibs fans love to feel aligned and when they have the upper hand they come away with ...”sometimes it’s us, sometimes it’s you lot, that’s the way it goes”...  it simply doesn’t. 

If you go back to the mid 80s after the yo-yo years and both sides were firmly back in the top flight, for a good couple of decades we dominated. There was no swapping of places year on year.

Hibs would pop in a one season wonder after we’d went 3 or 4 seasons finishing above them.  It think their best was 2 in a row.  For example, for 11 seasons from 83-84 we finished above them 9 times.  

Edited by Debut 4

Guest ToqueJambo

If Hibs are taking solace in our position and it's distracting them from their own, then that's exactly what they did during the Romanov years and it led to them getting relegated in the end, while we focused on ourselves and managed to get out of the hole we got in faster than they did. 

Bazzas right boot

Many posters compare everything Hearts to hibs.

Some times there can be 4 or 5 threads about hibs on the go. 

So yes, if the other team is shitter it somehow deflects from the persons own teams shortcomings. 

Likewise if the other team is flying, the fans of the team not doing so well will get irrate much quicker. 

For example 

If we were 4th and Hibs 6th most Hearts fans would be happy. 

If we were 3rd and Hibs second, we'd be generally disappointed. 

Right now I'd be happy with being above Hamilton. 

Tragic. 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

I agree mostly with your point but I need to pick a hole (please😁).

Hibs fans love to feel aligned and when they have the upper hand they come away with ...”sometimes it’s us, sometimes it’s you lot, that’s the way it goes”...  it simply doesn’t. 

If you go back to the mid 80s after the yo-yo years and both sides were firmly back in the top flight, for a good couple of decades we dominated. There was no swapping of places year on year.

Hibs would pop in a one season wonder after we’d went 3 or 4 seasons finishing above them.  It think their best was 2 in a row.  For example, for 11 seasons from 83-84 we finished above them 9 times.  

To finish behind them four years in a row would be inescapably shocking.