Michael O'Leary Race Row.

Dawnrazor

What I don't get is that it's been branded racism. 

From what Ive read he said Muslim men are likely to be terrorists. He didn't mention race at all. 

So are the people calling this racist the racists as they are insinuating that Muslims are of a certain race? 

Confusing mysel here... 

1 hour ago, His name is said:

From what Ive read he said Muslim men are likely to be terrorists. He didn't mention race at all. 

So are the people calling this racist the racists as they are insinuating that Muslims are of a certain race? 

Confusing mysel here... 

Of course it's racist.  As far as I know there's no declaration of religion when you buy a plane ticket or board a plane.  So on what basis would he run these extra checks? Purely on the basis they are young males and Asian looking seems to be it.  Therefore, racial profiling.

2 hours ago, His name is said:

Confusing mysel here... 

Aye, very good. If you believe that, well...

MuSlIm IsNaE a RaCe LiKeS

:vrface:

How can he tell if a solo male passenger is a follower of Islam?

By looks alone?

Not all muslims look the same.

Edited by Cade

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, Cade said:

MuSlIm IsNaE a RaCe LiKeS

:vrface:

How can he tell if a solo male passenger is a follower of Islam?

By looks alone?

Not all muslims look the same.

Apart from the big mad beards...........that'll be me then.

:jj_facepalm:

it is a mix of racism and bringing publicity. how often does he come out with pish normally when ryanair sales are down or something is about to hit the headlines like a pilots strike?

AlphonseCapone
20 hours ago, His name is said:

Confusing mysel here... 

I think most people now understand that the general term racism doesn't need to apply directly to race specifically, but is used for when someone makes massive assumptions about a group of people based on nothing but their own prejudices. 

Of course, semantics will argue O'leary has been Islamaphobic rather than racist. Possibly even sexist. However most rational and decent human beings will focus on how shite is comments are without worrying about the semantics of what we call it. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

it is a mix of racism and bringing publicity. how often does he come out with pish normally when ryanair sales are down or something is about to hit the headlines like a pilots strike?

I flew out of Manchester on Friday to Bologna. I detest Ryanair but used them because flights to Rome were astronomically exoensive due to English half term holidays. 

The security check was utter carnage. I waited 45 mins at the bag check alone - simply because i left a cig lighter in my jacket.  i had no liquids as all went in  the hold baggage. i saw one guy have all his  3 bags opened and tested for dugs. it took 4 people to deal with it.  Ive never seen so many pissed off people. Maybe He's seeing  a business impact. 

On a broader front , ive seen commentary from critics that UK airports could apply "profiling" but refuse to do so. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I flew out of Manchester on Friday to Bologna. I detest Ryanair but used them because flights to Rome were astronomically exoensive due to English half term holidays. 

The security check was utter carnage. I waited 45 mins at the bag check alone - simply because i left a cig lighter in my jacket.  i had no liquids as all went in  the hold baggage. i saw one guy have all his  3 bags opened and tested for dugs. it took 4 people to deal with it.  Ive never seen so many pissed off people. Maybe He's seeing  a business impact. 

On a broader front , ive seen commentary from critics that UK airports could apply "profiling" but refuse to do so. 

Did they find any dugs in any of the guy’s bags?

8 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

No. Point is, everyone who fails at security gets a thorough check. Ryanair passengers seem to be in the majority as they dont have hold baggage. 

Shanks said no
18 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Might have found Airedale Terrierists