Messi v Ronaldo

chester copperpot

3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Don’t really get the argument about doing it in other countries. Going to Juventus and winning the league is hardly a huge achievement. He wasn’t top scorer last season and is 5 goals behind the top scorer this season.

He's delivered in 3 of the best leagues in the world and in European competitions for the 3 clubs . Picking out 1 stat and running with it  , lol 

how about the 100  other  stats that confirm the guys a master craftsman. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flaps_98

• luckyBatistuta

• Bazzas right boot

• karipidis

7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

So he didn't score 40 plus goals in the EPL then and win an international title. 

I think Messi would do okay in England. 24 goals in 32 games against EPLs top 6 sides, and Ronaldo scores 28 in 70 games against the EPLs top 6 sides. Messi has scored more against them than Wayne Rooney has. 

7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

So he didn't score 40 plus goals in the EPL then and win an international title. 

I think Messi would do okay in England. 24 goals in 32 games against EPLs top 6 sides, and Ronaldo scores 28 in 70 games against the EPLs top 6 sides. Messi has scored more against them than Wayne Rooney has. 

I feel a downside for Messi is that he has spent his entire career at Barcelona playing for a dominant money side in a league that's overall less competitive than others such as England or Italy.

I think Ronaldo left Real because his massive ego is always looking at the record books. Clarence Seedorf is the only player to have won 3 Champions League trophies at 3 different clubs. Ronaldo and his ego want to match that.

And?  Two of the biggest/richest clubs in the world, and then went to a club that had won their domestic title for the seventh consecutive year.  Quite the challenge that! The only reason Madrid didn't dominate Spain during his spell there was entirely down to Messi & friends.

I don't get the argument either. Stay at a club your entire career, playing with different players, under different coaches adopting different styles, all while adapting your own style but still putting up ridic scoring stats, and it's held against you.  lol.

2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Playing with Spain's finest coach and players. 

I fancy my own chances.

They won about 10 Ballon D’ors in a row between them and took football to another level.  Every year the question was which one of the two would win.

For me, it’s Ronaldo who is the best but Messi is unbelievable also and I could make a case for him too.

It used to be a good striker was someone who scored 1 every 2 games and a great striker scored 2 in 3.  These guys have been pretty much getting a goal a game for years and are miles ahead of everyone else. Let’s just enjoy them both for the last few years of their careers.

2 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Sorry to start this again but it's been bothering me.

Messi is possibly the best of all time:

Ronaldo is possibly the best of all time:

Messi has stayed with the same team for all time, Ronaldo has challenged himself by moving teams, even when he was 34 

Arguments as to who's better? Would be a nice distraction for once. 

Messi is the best full stop. 

Anybody that thinks Ronaldo is a better player needs help 

1 minute ago, NB GIN said:

I think anybody who thinks they can say that and be taken seriously needs as much help with their out of control ego as Ronaldo does. And i'm not talking about a comparison of their abilities 

chester copperpot
8 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

I think theres discussion here mate. It ain't plain sailing 

31 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Playing with Spain's finest coach and players. 

I fancy my own chances.

Maybe you could point out when Ronaldo has played in a team full of journey men and diddies?

I must be in the minority but whenever I hear maradona mentioned in a “greatest of all time” conversation I can’t help but think :cornette:

Can name 5 better than him immediately..

Pele

Zidane

Cruyff

Messi

Ronaldo 

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

I must be in the minority but whenever I hear maradona mentioned in a “greatest of all time” conversation I can’t help but think :cornette:

Can name 5 better than him immediately..

Pele

Zidane

Cruyff

Messi

Ronaldo 

No doubting he was class but Ronaldo and Messi have done it over a length that's probably not been seen before. Like what they guys have done is ridiculous. IMO what they have done probably won't be matched. But Zidane is still the greatest for me.

IveSeenTheLight

For a long long time, I was in the Messi camp.

Now though, I think Ronaldo just edges it, for some of the good points raised earlier.

Messi won 4 Ballon D’Ors in a row, unprecedented and with 6 wins to Ronaldo’s 5, there are still arguments for him.

The fact that Ronaldo has done it in multiple leagues is a massive consideration.

I think Messi probably has more natural talent, but you cannot deny the work ethic or will power of Ronaldo to suceed.

one thing for sure, I think they in effect pushed each other to the greatness they have achieved.

For other players mentioned, Zinfandel was a favourite of mine and he undoubtedly had a couple of seasons where he was the best in the world, but not a patch on consistency or longevity of Messi or Ronaldo.

only Pelé really comes close.

For those that say Maradona, yes he was an unbelievable player, but he messed that all up by turning to drugs. You cannot condone or promote a player who has failed himself in this way. It’s why he’s now ostracised whilst Pelé for example is not. 

Messi’s first ever goal for Barcelona (against Getafe I think) was a thing of beauty and better than Maradonna’s goal against England.

Messi v Ronaldo, very close and.both fantastic players.

Ronaldo now (just) for me.

3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Maradona is the answer (a hybrid of the modern two), but if this is strictly Ronaldo v Messi then it has to be Ronaldo.  Great point made about having to prove yourself and maintain standards for different clubs. 

This all day long 👍

6 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

No doubting he was class but Ronaldo and Messi have done it over a length that's probably not been seen before. Like what they guys have done is ridiculous. IMO what they have done probably won't be matched. But Zidane is still the greatest for me.

It has been seen before. Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele, Eusebio, Müller, Seeler, Van Basten, Romario all have ridiculous goals to games scoring records. 

Bazzas right boot
Spoiler

Messi is the correct answer. 

Statistics will prove this. 

Staying at one club is almost used as a bad trait. 

In modern times loyalty and staying with one club over a long period of time is unique and a quality clubs would die for. 

Ronaldo is brilliant tho. 

Only guy in the equation that is brilliant in the air. 

Pele, deigo, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc, only C Ronaldo stands out as good in the air. 

Fair doos. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Messi is the correct answer. 

Statistics will prove this. 

Staying at one club is almost used as a bad trait. 

In modern times loyalty and staying with one club over a long period of time is unique and a quality clubs would die for. 

Ronaldo is brilliant tho. 

Only guy in the equation that is brilliant in the air. 

Pele, deigo, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc, only C Ronaldo stands out as good in the air. 

Fair doos. 

Pelé was a great header of the ball and scored loads with his head. Even more remarkable as he wasn’tparticularly tall. 

Edited by Tazio

30 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

For a long long time, I was in the Messi camp.

Now though, I think Ronaldo just edges it, for some of the good points raised earlier.

Messi won 4 Ballon D’Ors in a row, unprecedented and with 6 wins to Ronaldo’s 5, there are still arguments for him.

The fact that Ronaldo has done it in multiple leagues is a massive consideration.

I think Messi probably has more natural talent, but you cannot deny the work ethic or will power of Ronaldo to suceed.

one thing for sure, I think they in effect pushed each other to the greatness they have achieved.

For other players mentioned, Zinfandel was a favourite of mine and he undoubtedly had a couple of seasons where he was the best in the world, but not a patch on consistency or longevity of Messi or Ronaldo.

only Pelé really comes close.

For those that say Maradona, yes he was an unbelievable player, but he messed that all up by turning to drugs. You cannot condone or promote a player who has failed himself in this way. It’s why he’s now ostracised whilst Pelé for example is not. 

Messi’s first ever goal for Barcelona (against Getafe I think) was a thing of beauty and better than Maradonna’s goal against England.

Messi v Ronaldo, very close and.both fantastic players.

Ronaldo now (just) for me.

Maradona turn to drugs thro painkillers because of the treatment he endured. Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted two minutes back then.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Maradona turn to drugs thro painkillers because of the treatment he endured. Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted two minutes back then.

Aye, the treatment players got from defenders pre 1990's was brutal plus they were playing on tattie fields in comparison to today's carpets. They guys just dusted themselves and got on with it, Messi and Ronaldo have it easy. 

Simply put.

If Ronaldo had the burden of Messi’s small build and natural physicality, he would’ve been a half decent player at best. 

Now imagine if Messi was born with Ronaldo’s God given pace, build and physicality? Unthinkable really. 

For pure talent, Messi every time. 

I do enjoy the argument that Ronaldo isn't as naturally gifted as messi yet has had to work harder, I can only imagine this is based on the fact messi is better or is it because he looks in physically better shape? Either way it has no bearings on the fact messi has done better in the head to heads here 

both have been surrounded by great players their whole career as anyone at that level has but messi has a clear win for me 

6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Why is the general feeling that playing for more clubs is better than staying at one club? 

He has never left his comfort zone.

6 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Why is the general feeling that playing for more clubs is better than staying at one club? 

It’s a bizarre argument. Giggs treated like a hero for staying loyal to Man Utd his whole career.

Sometimes wonder what it would have been like to see them both in the same team. I’m sure there would be focus on how Messi is the team player and Ronaldo isn’t - which this scenario might highlight, but just think what it would look like if they clicked..!! They might have set records that could NEVER be matched.!

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Almost no daylight between their goals per game ratio but I would like to see their assists per game stats. 

Yes there is.

Ronaldo has 725 goals in 998 games. Goal every 1.38 games.
Messi has 696 goals in 853 games. Goal every 1.22 games.

On assists Messi has 289 and Ronaldo has 220. Messi has played 145 games less. 

10 hours ago, Arry said:

Messi ,,,,Ronaldo is a spoiled brat.

Who gave a 30 grand tip to the staff at a Greek restaurant during a family get together.  

It's interesting that Ronaldo gets major credit for Portugal's Euro success.

If I remember correctly he had a pretty average tournament (allbeit he scored a few against the lesser teams) and missed the majority of the final.

I'd have said Nani or Pepe were the best players for them during that campaign.

When you see Messi's international team mates it shouldn't shock you that they've won nothing. Willy Caballero, Marcus Rojo and Nicolas Otamendi... Jesus.

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Who gave a 30 grand tip to the staff at a Greek restaurant during a family get together.  

Nice guy off the pitch so I've read, however on the pitch he can be a right dick.

Byyy The Light

Messi clear win for me. He doesn’t even play as a striker and hasn’t for some time.

Pretty much every top player/legend of the game says the same.

That’s good enough for me.

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Yes there is.

Ronaldo has 725 goals in 998 games. Goal every 1.38 games.
Messi has 696 goals in 853 games. Goal every 1.22 games.

On assists Messi has 289 and Ronaldo has 220. Messi has played 145 games less. 

Ronaldo has playes in 4 top leagues.

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I feel a downside for Messi is that he has spent his entire career at Barcelona playing for a dominant money side in a league that's overall less competitive than others such as England or Italy.

I think Ronaldo left Real because his massive ego is always looking at the record books. Clarence Seedorf is the only player to have won 3 Champions League trophies at 3 different clubs. Ronaldo and his ego want to match that.

As good as Ronaldo was at Madrid and probably the best player they ever had I dont think he would ever be a bigger name than Raul there. 

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

As good as Ronaldo was at Madrid and probably the best player they ever had I dont think he would ever be a bigger name than Raul there. 

I doubt he cares about that. Being the most popular player at Real doesn't get you into the record books. Winning the Champions league at 3 different clubs does.

When I watch messi and Ronaldo I think they are both unbelievable players but I have no liking for them they are like robots. Ronaldhino, Raul, Brazil Ronaldo were players who make you love the game.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I doubt he cares about that. Being the most popular player at Real doesn't get you into the record books. Winning the Champions league at 3 different clubs does.

I agree with you he probably doesn't care about that at all.  I dont agree with people saying he is better than messi because he plays in different leagues though. I think messi stays with Barca is his genuine love for that club and he doesn't need to prove himself anywhere else.

Riddley Walker

Messi is the best playmaker of all time as well as the best goalscorer. Ronaldo's overall game isn't even close. 

When someone says Ronaldo is better it makes me think they haven't watched Messi play or they know nothing about football.