Messi v Ronaldo

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Sorry to start this again but it's been bothering me.

Messi is possibly the best of all time:

Ronaldo is possibly the best of all time:

Messi has stayed with the same team for all time, Ronaldo has challenged himself by moving teams, even when he was 34 

Arguments as to who's better? Would be a nice distraction for once. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flaps_98

• luckyBatistuta

• Bazzas right boot

• karipidis

Maradona is the answer (a hybrid of the modern two), but if this is strictly Ronaldo v Messi then it has to be Ronaldo.  Great point made about having to prove yourself and maintain standards for different clubs. 

Messi is the greatest footballer I've ever seen but I mean it's hard to argue against Ronaldo. Both just absolute freaks.

I think it is almost too close to call. No doubt they are both deserving of GOAT. Messi is the more natural talent whereas Ronaldo has put in the work to get to his level. Personally i would go for Ronaldo. He is one of the best headers of a ball ive ever seen and i think if you needed a player to win the game in the last minute he would be the one id choose. But of course choosing him doesn't mean i dont rate Messi! Ive also heard a whisper that both are huge fans of the Famous and there is a chance that if we stay up they would like to end their careers with us. 

The stats suggest Ronaldo. 

What really pisses me off about this debate, especially when you read it on things like Facebook or Reddit, is the idea that there is one absolute, and if you like one, you must hate the other, and never listen to anyone that says that B is better than A. 

Appreciate them both, they are entirely different types of players. Ronaldo is the athlete you'd like to be, Messi is the player who's skills you'd like to have. 

18 minutes ago, tian447 said:

What really pisses me off about this debate, especially when you read it on things like Facebook or Reddit, is the idea that there is one absolute, and if you like one, you must hate the other, and never listen to anyone that says that B is better than A. 

Appreciate them both, they are entirely different types of players. Ronaldo is the athlete you'd like to be, Messi is the player who's skills you'd like to have. 

There was a time when I hated Ronaldo due to his behaviour and arrogance.

I don't get the hate on Messi though. Guess it's just a Manchester United thing.

Indeed Ronaldo is an ego maniac more interested in himself than his team but it's not a who is the nicer guy question. As far as footballing ability goes I would say there's really nothing between them. Each has his abilities which are different in some respects but even themselves out.

Take this as an example. There is no way Messi could do this. Look at the height he gets into the leap, the timing, the athleticism and sheer skill is incredible. But then Messi can do things Ronaldo couldn't. It's a tie.

Edited by JFK-1

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ronaldo, in answer to your question, CC.

Greatest of all time for me?  Zizou, by a country mile.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Zidane by a country mile for me. 

:greggy:

rudi must stay

In terms of talent Messi. 40 minutes in today and he'd got a hat-trick, incredible.

9 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Maradona. Messi. Ronaldo. All unbelievable, but that’s the hierarchy for me. 

Good post. Having seen the documentary on Maradona I agree

Messi: better finisher, better passer, better dribbler = better player.  Ronaldo is a great player mind but isn't in the top echelon of football's elite, for me anyway.  He just doesn't have the genius creativity in his game.

Now you could debate eventually, who was the most successful but that is a different argument.

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Spot on. We are lucky to be able to watch them week-in week-out. 

Unless you are Argentinian or Portuguese, or a proper Barca/Real Madrid/Juve fan or whatever, I can’t see why anyone would get upset by it. In all honesty, from the interminable social media arguments I see, most of it comes from Asia and Africa. 

I think ultimately the records will find for Ronaldo as having edged it considering his success in multiple nations and even with an international accolade to his name. No doubting the phenomenal talent of both however which I don’t believe we’ll see again in the short term after their retirements.

Although atm I reckon Mbappe v Haaland will be the next pissing contest

Messi loses because of his loyalty and being surrounded by some of the best players that's ever been including coaches.

CR7 has done it all at every level in every country. 

Messi isn't exactly medically squeaky clean for those that want to search either. 

Messi for me.

Such is his ability that you could argue any foul on Messi should be classed as denying a goal scoring opportunity - the amount of times he has created goals out of nothing is unmatchable.

Messi has been loyal (well paid to do so mind) ronaldo has tried different leagues/cultures. ( also well paid to do so).

i like them both, hard to split. 

zidane is still my favourite ever player though.

Messi is the best player I have ever seen.  His passing and awareness are second to none. His goal scoring speaks for itself.  But he is an all round footballer 

Ronaldo's stats are absolutely incredible and the fact he's done it in different countries and at International level just shades it . 

Messi is absolutely phenomenal , the only time I've  seem anyone come close to those two was Zidane in his pomp when France won the Eutos and World Cup . For those couole of years he was on a different planet  for club and county . 

54 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

In terms of talent Messi. 40 minutes in today and he'd got a hat-trick, incredible.

Good post. Having seen the documentary on Maradona I agree

Want to mark your 1,000th senior game in style? How about a record-equalling 11th consecutive Serie A goal?

That's what Cristiano Ronaldo did - the Juventus forward responding in style to news of Lionel Messi's four-goal haul for Barcelona earlier in the day.

Ronaldo, 35, met Juan Cuadrado's cross to equal the Italian top-flight record, shared with Gabriel Batistuta and Fabio Quagliarella.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51598794

kingantti1874

Both are phenomenons. However, Original Ronaldo - if he had avoided the injuries - Was just unbelievable.. not saying he’s was better, 3 different players 3 different styles.. but he was out of this world

Both have different qualities that make them special, hard to separate them. Comparing them with maradona and pele is difficult as been said ,different generations. I’m a bit biased as I’ve been lucky enough to see pele play, and just to see him walk out on the pitch made me feel honoured ( I know I’m getting on a bit)but even at the end of his career he still had it all.

Messi of course, he is the greatest player to play the game. Ronaldo is 2nd. There statistics are unrivalled and longevity is unbelievable.

Zidane was a quality player but can’t put him in the same bracket as these 2. 

Edited by karipidis

Rodger Mellie
9 minutes ago, Jimw44 said:

Messi is the best player I have ever seen.  His passing and awareness are second to none. His goal scoring speaks for itself.  But he is an all round footballer 

I agree with all this. Perhaps Messi will eventually play in midfield as gets older.

44 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Messi loses because of his loyalty and being surrounded by some of the best players that's ever been including coaches.

CR7 has done it all at every level in every country. 

Messi isn't exactly medically squeaky clean for those that want to search either. 

Don’t really get the argument about doing it in other countries. Going to Juventus and winning the league is hardly a huge achievement. He wasn’t top scorer last season and is 5 goals behind the top scorer this season.

21 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Messi has been loyal (well paid to do so mind) ronaldo has tried different leagues/cultures. ( also well paid to do so).

i like them both, hard to split. 

zidane is still my favourite ever player though.

Same for me, especially the Zidane bit, effortlessly majestic in his play. Loved to watch him, shame I was too young to maybe fully appreciate him.

:lol: Ronaldo the more rounded player! 

Look at it this way ...Ronaldo is a phenomenal goalscorer but Messi is actually a better finisher in terms of ratios, although CR has scored 26 more goals.  Now think about assists; guess who has more. seventy more despite having played 140 games less. Simply put one is a top three goalscorer and one is a top three footballer.

Hell, just use your eyes.  Although, again I'll preface it with the old chestnut, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1 minute ago, karipidis said:

Don’t really get the argument about doing it in other countries. Going to Juventus and winning the league is hardly a huge achievement. He wasn’t top scorer last season and is 5 goals behind the top scorer this season.

So he didn't score 40 plus goals in the EPL then and win an international title. 

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

:lol: Ronaldo the more rounded player! 

Look at it this way ...Ronaldo is a phenomenal goalscorer but Messi is actually a better finisher in terms of ratios, although CR has scored 26 more goals.  Now think about assists; guess who has more. seventy more despite having played 140 games less. Simply put one is a top three goalscorer and one is a top three footballer.

Hell, just use your eyes.  Although, again I'll preface it with the old chestnut, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Exactly, and some people say Ronaldo’s statistics are better. They’ve scored the exact same amount of club goals and Messi has played 119 games less. Good website here that compares the stats. 

https://messivsronaldo.net/all-time-stats/

They are both wonderful players and 2 of the best the world has seen...you can never be definitive about the best in history but they are both in the discussion

Personally it's Messi for me but that is just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ

It is nice to see 2 greats in the same era and both seem dedicated to their craft as well