Halkett Up Front

Five to One

Has this been considered or discussed elsewhere? Likes a goal and I believe has experience as a striker. Move Smith to CB if fit.  His strength in the air may also help Boyce and Naismith. 

Might be worth a try and if it works implement till the end of the season. 

fabienleclerq

He's nowhere near a striker, he's good for a last five minutes if we are launching it into the box but full time? No thanks. 

Jambof3tornado
Just now, fabienleclerq said:

He's nowhere near a striker, he's good for a last five minutes if we are launching it into the box but full time? No thanks. 

This.

Its come up on a few match day threads.

He's a cb for a reason.

Honestly you have to despair at the ops thought

Of course in certain situations he can be sent up front but not from the start of a match..just madness

10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Of course in certain situations he can be sent up front but not from the start of a match..just madness

What, you mean trying something different in our current predicament? We should be looking at all options with might help win us the number of games we need to stay up. 

He’s our top goalscorer btw. 

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He’s more effective up there than Uche......

Much better in the air and knows where the goals are. Uche’s confidence looks shot to pieces. The miss against Hamilton the prime example. 

1 minute ago, Five to One said:

Much better in the air and knows where the goals are. Uche’s confidence looks shot to pieces. The miss against Hamilton the prime example. 

Uche has had 4 good games in a year.....all against the ‘bigger’ teams. I genuinely think he thinks he’s something special.

He will be in League Two next season if he’s lucky.

Do people really have such a poor understanding of football? Halkett gets goals from set pieces and when he’s moved up front in desperation, he gets spaces and chances because he’s not meant to be there, other teams  defences aren’t setup or organised to pick up a centre half who’s ran up front. If he starts there then he’s going to be picked up and marked more closely meaning he won’t get the same chances. 

26 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

Just play player's in their tried and tested positions, keep it simple 

I wonder if it will ever catch on. See if we did that we would start winning. I’m sure of it. 

Toxteth O'Grady
52 minutes ago, stotty said:

Agree. That said, I'd like to see Washington play upfront before Halkett. 

Washington - the guy who’s never scored from open play?  

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Washington - the guy who’s never scored from open play?  

He's not played very many games to be fair, and definitely not in his preferred position (CF). 

Halkett upfront from the start? :rofl:

He can't run. 

Last five - ten minutes if we need a goal perhaps but never from the start. 

He should start on the bench anyway. 

Edited by Cruyff

59 minutes ago, Castle rock said:

What about defensive mid? 

With Smith and soapy at centre half 

Swap Halkett and Souttar around in that scenario and it would work imo. Souttar looks to me like he'd fit well in a CDM role

1 hour ago, Still Tynie said:

Just play player's in their tried and tested positions, keep it simple 

1 hour ago, Five to One said:

1 hour ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

We have enough square pegs in round holes as it is.....

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

I wonder if it will ever catch on. See if we did that we would start winning. I’m sure of it. 

All of the above, and I take no exception to any of it, tends to lead me to believe that our biggest problem over the Levein years has been the ramshackle recruitment policy at every level from coaches down.

We are short of strikers, attacking midfieders, left backs - you name it, yet we seem to have too many right backs, dogs-body midfielders centre backs of varying quality, as for wingers, gawd help us. How many players have we recruited over the last three years, and does anyone have a clue what our best 11 is?

Edited by upgotheheads

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Do people really have such a poor understanding of football? Halkett gets goals from set pieces and when he’s moved up front in desperation, he gets spaces and chances because he’s not meant to be there, other teams  defences aren’t setup or organised to pick up a centre half who’s ran up front. If he starts there then he’s going to be picked up and marked more closely meaning he won’t get the same chances. 

You would think someone with your vast knowledge and understanding of football would know that Halkett was actually a striker before he became a centre half. 

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Was just suggesting it could be something worth trying. I accept it may not work. 

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

+ 1

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

A lot said that with Moose.

Remember Blackburn Rovers (1990's when they were a top side) done the same with Paul Warhurst and sold him on a Gazillion.

55 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

All of the above, and I take no exception to any of it, tends to lead me to believe that our biggest problem over the Levein years has been the ramshackle recruitment policy at every level from coaches down.

We are short of strikers, attacking midfieders, left backs - you name it, yet we seem to have too many right backs, dogs-body midfielders centre backs of varying quality, as for wingers, gawd help us. How many players have we recruited over the last three years, and does anyone have a clue what our best 11 is?

Absolutely spot on. 
Nobody could pick a Hearts team 2 games running and we expect consistency. Quite embarrassing really. 

Pasquale for King

I think if he was capable of playing up front for a whole game Levein would’ve tried it, remember him putting Haring up front against Hibs after telling him on the morning of the game 🙈? He looks more dangerous from open play than from corners though, but I think it’s a last ten minutes thing.

15 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Absolutely spot on. 
Nobody could pick a Hearts team 2 games running and we expect consistency. Quite embarrassing really. 

How many match day threads do you see that has the " I quite like the look of that side " then to have further quotes after 30 mins of " get him off he is absolute pish " or words to that effect 😂

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Absolutely, it’s been a shambles.

The fact that we are even considering this is a reflection of where we are. Very few teams would reposisition a central defender as a striker and expect a positive outcome unless it was an individual game  and a 'last ten minutes' desperate tactic.

Remember it worked for us (up to a point) with Kevin McKenna but not sure that Halkett  is the equivalent of Moose! 

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

This man is correct. 

Just because he offers more goal threat than Uche doesn't mean he should be moved position. Says more about Uche more than anything. 

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

It's the sort of idea that people who have no clue about football put forward regularly!

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Yes, they do!

Yes, swap him with Boyce or Washington. 

Get Brad Mckay back in as a keeper as well. 

This fitbaw lark is a piece of piss. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

You would think someone with your vast knowledge and understanding of football would know that Halkett was actually a striker before he became a centre half. 

You would think someone with your vast knowledge and understanding of football would know that Halkett being a striker before he was a centre half has no bearing on Ribble's point.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

I think some folk are confusing the "might aswell stick him... " comments for what they actually are; criticism of his defensive abilities.

StevenNaismith

Craig has played more games in his life as a striker than he has as a defender. That being said I wouldn’t play him up front from the start.

3 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Craig has played more games in his life as a striker than he has as a defender. That being said I wouldn’t play him up front from the start.

Professional football games? 
Or games when he was younger? 

11 hours ago, Ribble said:

This. 

Some of the more “mature” posters may remember Mike Galloway scoring for fun by making late runs from midfield. We tried him up front and he was shite. Defenders pick up forwards so a late runner or an extra body causes problems. Stick the guy up front and the defence will be onto him. 

I hope Halkett is moved on in the summer and that replacing the centre halves is a priority.  Can't play either Stendel's football or even a more pragmatic style with such a poor defender.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

I hope Halkett is moved on in the summer and that replacing the centre halves is a priority.  Can't play either Stendel's football or even a more pragmatic style with such a poor defender.

Yeah. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about that. We've seen the levels Soapy can play to. His initial partnership with Berra up to the injury was superb. Like, best double act since Pressley and Webster. Phenomenal pairing. 

Halkett isn't looking strong enough defensively. I wonder though, if he could play in centre-midfield when we need a more defensive minded player? Smith reads the game so much better and I wonder if we're lacking a clear leader at the back with neither being captain? Smith has heaps of experience and alongside Soapy will probably help us leak less goals. Halkett filling in till Sibbick returns in CDM makes a lot of sense for me and adds a bit of physicality we're currently missing (IMO).