Sporting Director/DOF

Mdoug79

First time ever starting a topic so go easy on me! 😂😂

A position I had forgotten we still had to fill with all the problems we have on the park just now until my mate contacted me last night with a rumour he has been passed.........

Now I cannot back up this in any way but got my attention when I was told it last night. This friend of mine who seems to be reasonably well connected to the goings on at Inverness Caley Thistle told me that Mr Robertson is leaving ICT in the summer to return to Hearts as DOF/ Sporting Director. 

What’s everyone thoughts on this if true? I like the idea a lot! 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Jambof3tornado

• Pasquale for King

• stevie1874

3 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Can't see him leaving ICT, and not sure he has the qualifications for the job.

I agree regarding the qualifications . 

1 minute ago, Longshanks said:

I would rather we wait until we replace Budge with someone more competent and then leave it up to them to fill the position.

I don’t get the clamour to bin AB. 

Which would be ironic due to our last DoF rejecting JR from occupying a coaching position at the club.    Not sure if Robbo is best suited to a DoF job but as a man and a figure,   he's more than qualified to be at the club for the rebuild.    There are none better.

If anyone intends to naval gaze to the tune of not wanting to risk his status being tarnished at the club,   kindly file that under 'ill conceived pish'.

This role should have been filled months ago.

With another rebuild inevitably happening a DOF should be working with the manager to compile two lists of potential signings.....which list we turn to will obviously depend on which division we are in.

We really need this role filled.  Pressure needs to be removed from Stendel having to find players.  My nagging concern is Levein or McPhee get it. Feel they are here to see if dust settles.  They need to go asap 

6 minutes ago, Balernojambo said:

We really need this role filled.  Pressure needs to be removed from Stendel having to find players.  My nagging concern is Levein or McPhee get it. Feel they are here to see if dust settles.  They need to go asap 

MacPhee I think. Mrs B knows Levein is a no no for the fans

1 hour ago, Longshanks said:

I would rather we wait until we replace Budge with someone more competent and then leave it up to them to fill the position.

Agreed replacing Budge has to be the first step .

How and who is a different matter .

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It was a priority and hugely important yet it's been left unfilled for months. Just another example of weird/non-existant leadership. 

Without any sort of explanation as to why it’s not the priority it once was.

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It was a priority and hugely important yet it's been left unfilled for months. Just another example of weird/non-existant leadership. 

Correct.

Club being run like a shambles and people still saying they’d like Budge to stay on. 

Quite incredible really. 

1 hour ago, Mdoug79 said:

Have a good think about it. 

23 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m pretty sure after, initially stating it was SD first before manager she issued a statement about manager taking precedence and time would be taken over SD.

I think it’ll be MacPhee and it shouldn’t be IMO

i think we were looking for a Sporting Director rather than a DoF but imagine either will be a bit of a luxury in the Championship so will likely be on hold. 

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m pretty sure after, initially stating it was SD first before manager she issued a statement about manager taking precedence and time would be taken over SD.

I think it’ll be MacPhee and it shouldn’t be IMO

I remember something was said right enough. Just wondering why the sudden change of heart within a few weeks. Went from top priority to indefinitely on hold. I thought at the time it meant she was just biding her time to announce either CL or AM for the role. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I remember something was said right enough. Just wondering why the sudden change of heart within a few weeks. Went from top priority to indefinitely on hold. I thought at the time it meant she was just biding her time to announce either CL or AM for the role. 

There were rumours at the time that it would/could be McPhee. 

allanwilson1970

I am not convinced it will not be Levein. At the reserve game this week he was in the coaches area with Fox and Rankin and still looked to be actively involved. Budge said he was focusing on youth but for my the reserves is too close to 1st team for him to be involved. 

Austin MacGlee
37 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yep, the silence is deafening. 

Jambof3tornado
59 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

Correct.

Club being run like a shambles and people still saying they’d like Budge to stay on. 

Quite incredible really. 

This. A role that was to be filled before the managers position yet here we are.

32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There were rumours at the time that it would/could be McPhee. 

Not just saying this because you mentioned it but I’ve had a strong feeling it’ll be McPhee for ages. Would imagine he’d have had some part in helping land Boyce, which will maybe help his case. 

If Levein is here next season then myself and a few like minded people will not put another penny into HMFC coffers. The money that’s been needlessly spunked up the wall , borders on criminality. They’ll get my season ticket money and FOH subs and that’s it! 

He needs removed from all areas and all activity 

11 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

If Levein is here next season then myself and a few like minded people will not put another penny into HMFC coffers. The money that’s been needlessly spunked up the wall , borders on criminality. They’ll get my season ticket money and FOH subs and that’s it! 

He needs removed from all areas and all activity 

No being wide but if you’re buying a season ticket and contributing to FOH then what money of yours is the club not getting. 

Edited by GinRummy

41 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

I am not convinced it will not be Levein. At the reserve game this week he was in the coaches area with Fox and Rankin and still looked to be actively involved. Budge said he was focusing on youth but for my the reserves is too close to 1st team for him to be involved. 

I agree.  I just dont see any real reason for keeping him.  He can't be that instrumental to the youth or medical departments.  Otherwise why have Roger Arnott?

I think she will keep him on.  Unbelievable if so!!

Edited by Balernojambo

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No being wide but if you’re buying a season ticket and contributing to FOH then what money of yours is the club not getting. 

Stadium advertising 

player sponsorship 

match sponsorship 

numerous works days out at Tynecastle and all food and drinks bills paid for. 

Somewhere in the region of £15-£20k per season

I won’t put my hard earned money into the club to see it needlessly and frivolously wasted.  This will be my last year if he’s still here. 

My spend is already down £5k this season compared to last season and will continue to fall until proper changes are made. There’s no jobs for the boys anymore and creating jobs and rewarding for failure is our downfall. Enough is enough! 

Edited by Saughton Jambo

Just now, Saughton Jambo said:

Stadium advertising 

player sponsorship 

match sponsorship 

numerous works days out at Tynecastle and all food and drinks bills paid for. 

Somewhere in the region of £15-£20k 

I won’t put my hard earned money into the club to see it needlessly and frivolously wasted.   

My spend is already down £5k this season compared to last season and will continue to fall until proper changes are made. There’s no jobs for the boys anymore and creating jobs and rewarding for failure is our downfall. Enough is enough! 

Don’t disagree with the points you make about the club mate. Was just genuinely wondering what money you meant. Cheers for explaining. 

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not just saying this because you mentioned it but I’ve had a strong feeling it’ll be McPhee for ages. Would imagine he’d have had some part in helping land Boyce, which will maybe help his case. 

I wouldn’t mind McPhee to be honest. One of those young football technocrats and that sort of job could well suit him imo. 

Didn’t think we were ever going to point a new SPD until others were off the wage bill, to be honest.   A wee red herring there as we changed manager and attempted to lift the feelgood factor.  

I’ve advertised pitch side for a number of years. I buy space on the LED boards at televised games as well as match sponsorship.

I love the club and hold it dear to my heart. This last while I feel I’ve had the heart ripped out of me with the previous charlatan in charge. A bit like finding out your wife has been cheating on you after all these years. So I’m putting my money where my mouth is, along with a few other I know and stopping everything until he’s away. I won’t stop my FOH and my season tickets though. 

No worries though I should’ve explained. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

i think we were looking for a Sporting Director rather than a DoF but imagine either will be a bit of a luxury in the Championship so will likely be on hold. 

We had one the last time we were in the Championship. 

😉

3 hours ago, Mdoug79 said:

It's her fault were bottom,,employing that imbecile too long !    Too many on here think the sun shines oot her bottom '    she once built a stand 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣and stepped in to save us "  but now shes lost that good feeling and loyalty among many fans,,,she can go !

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Different days though. 😊

If Stendel stays I would prefer he was head coach and we had someone looking after getting in players.  

Just now, Balernojambo said:

If Stendel stays I would prefer he was head coach and we had someone looking after getting in players.  

Currently he’s first team manager. Depends what he wants imo. 

Holyrood_Hearts
3 hours ago, Mdoug79 said:

Really? AB is a huge reason while we’re sitting bottom of the league. The club is clearly in need in new leadership 

1 minute ago, Deans Jambo said:

Would make sense. Robbo had a non footballing job in administration for a while. Combing the two would suit him I'd imagine. 

What job was that?

It’s a difficult role to fill. 
There’s a bit of a financial competence needed. Main person responsible for incoming/outgoing contracts. Financial and legal challenges. (Not sure where Robbo would sit with that). 
Strong understanding of football. 
Ability to work positively with a manager whoever that may be as they tend to change frequently). 

Possibly some kind of wider football network. 
No idea really who to fill the role to help Hearts the most. Ex-Hearts links not a strong part of decision tho. So don’t think Robbo for me. 

Pasquale for King

Not sure if he has the experience doing the job, I think the manager should have a say in who it is as they will have to work closely together for the good of the club. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I’ve advertised pitch side for a number of years. I buy space on the LED boards at televised games as well as match sponsorship.

I love the club and hold it dear to my heart. This last while I feel I’ve had the heart ripped out of me with the previous charlatan in charge. A bit like finding out your wife has been cheating on you after all these years. So I’m putting my money where my mouth is, along with a few other I know and stopping everything until he’s away. I won’t stop my FOH and my season tickets though. 

No worries though I should’ve explained. 

I would imagine there are quite a few in your position who are waiting until he goes, and to see where we end up. Good on you by the way 👍🏽.