• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So anyhoo, England's electorate make shite choices that we have to live with eh?

But not for long 🤞🏻😉

Not a good look for the Scottish governments ship building capabilities.

A Turkish shipyard has won a £105 million contract to build two new CalMac ferries for its Islay routes.

By Alastair Dalton

Friday, 11th March 2022, 1:42 pm

Updated 1 hour ago

Cemre Marin Endustri was today named as preferred bidder for the order against three other yards by transport minister Jenny Gilruth, which will increase vehicle capacity by nearly 40 per cent.

The first vessel is expected to be delivered by October 2024 and will enter service following sea trials and crew familiarisation, which normally take several months, with the second vessel due to follow in early 2025.

They will each carry up to 100 standard-size cars and 450 passengers, with carbon emissions expected to be 30 per cent lower than the largest of the current vessels on the routes.

A further £25m will be spent on upgrading ports.

The minister stressed the importance of such orders being completed on time and budget, in a veiled reference to the fiasco over two hugely-delayed and over-budget ferries being built for CalMacby Ferguson Marine in Port Glasgow. 

Several previous major CalMac ferries have built abroad, including the last new Islay vessel, MV Finlaggan, which was completed in Poland in 2011. 

CalMac’s newest large ferry, MV Loch Seaforth, which operates on the Ullapool-Stornoway route, was built in Germany in 2014.

Ms Gilruth said: “These links are some of the busiest services for freight on the Clyde and Hebrides network and the new vessels will help to grow the island’s economy, as well as bring added resilience to the fleet.

“This underlines the Scottish Government’s commitment to bringing in new ferries to support our island communities.

"We want to continue to see progress on bringing vessels into service on time and budget.”

The minister said the order was part of Transport Scotland’s current £580m plan to boost ferries.

Transport Scotland said the overall cost of the vessels and related port infrastructure works, including project management and delivery costs, would be around £130m, comprising around £105m for vessels and £25m for ports.

CalMac managing director Robbie Drummond said: “We very much look forward to welcoming these two new vessels into the CalMac fleet.

"This will help us deliver a service we can all be proud of.”

Lord Montpelier
16 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

A Turkish shipyard has won a £105 million contract to build two new CalMac ferries for its Islay routes.

By Alastair Dalton

Updated 1 hour ago

Cemre Marin Endustri was today named as preferred bidder for the order against three other yards by transport minister Jenny Gilruth, which will increase vehicle capacity by nearly 40 per cent.

The first vessel is expected to be delivered by October 2024 and will enter service following sea trials and crew familiarisation, which normally take several months, with the second vessel due to follow in early 2025.

They will each carry up to 100 standard-size cars and 450 passengers, with carbon emissions expected to be 30 per cent lower than the largest of the current vessels on the routes.

The minister stressed the importance of such orders being completed on time and budget, in a veiled reference to the fiasco over two hugely-delayed and over-budget ferries being built for CalMacby Ferguson Marine in Port Glasgow. 

Several previous major CalMac ferries have built abroad, including the last new Islay vessel, MV Finlaggan, which was completed in Poland in 2011. 

CalMac’s newest large ferry, MV Loch Seaforth, which operates on the Ullapool-Stornoway route, was built in Germany in 2014.

Ms Gilruth said: “These links are some of the busiest services for freight on the Clyde and Hebrides network and the new vessels will help to grow the island’s economy, as well as bring added resilience to the fleet.

“This underlines the Scottish Government’s commitment to bringing in new ferries to support our island communities.

"We want to continue to see progress on bringing vessels into service on time and budget.”

The minister said the order was part of Transport Scotland’s current £580m plan to boost ferries.

Transport Scotland said the overall cost of the vessels and related port infrastructure works, including project management and delivery costs, would be around £130m, comprising around £105m for vessels and £25m for ports.

CalMac managing director Robbie Drummond said: “We very much look forward to welcoming these two new vessels into the CalMac fleet.

They've made a right mess of this. Am sure someone will be along shortly - probably Roxy - to claim this as another SNP success

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

They've made a right mess of this. Am sure someone will be along shortly - probably Roxy - to claim this as another SNP success

No it'll be me.

The SG has announced an investment to deliver improvement to transport links to the islands. I'm not seeing the negative here.

I assume you're wanging on about the SG take over of Ferguson Marine, which whilst done to protect Scottish jobs and industry, has been a widely accepted shitfest.

This time the tender has been won by a Turkish shipbuilder in an open process. 

If they'd awarded it to Ferguson, you'd be apoplectic.

So what's your point caller?

Lord Montpelier
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

No it'll be me.

The SG has announced an investment to deliver improvement to transport links to the islands. I'm not seeing the negative here.

I assume you're wanging on about the SG take over of Ferguson Marine, which whilst done to protect Scottish jobs and industry, has been a widely accepted shitfest.

This time the tender has been won by a Turkish shipbuilder in an open process. 

If they'd awarded it to Ferguson, you'd be apoplectic.

So what's your point caller?

You were my second bet for taking this call

Should have been built locally is my point. We have ship yards and skilled workers to do this. 

The Mighty Thor

You were my second bet for taking this call

Should have been built locally is my point. We have ship yards and skilled workers to do this. 

Happy to oblige

And if the SG had awarded the job to Ferguson Marine who were clearly uncompetitive, and have already proven themselves unable to deliver on time and on budget,  then you'd be screaming the place down about Nippoleon/Krankie/Chief Mammy wasting your tax dollars. 

Amirite???

Lord Montpelier
12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Happy to oblige

And if the SG had awarded the job to Ferguson Marine who were clearly uncompetitive, and have already proven themselves unable to deliver on time and on budget,  then you'd be screaming the place down about Nippoleon/Krankie/Chief Mammy wasting your tax dollars. 

Amirite???

Your logic suggests support for moving manufacturing overseas to the cheapest alternate. 

Hardly building a strong Scottish economy, is it. 

I'll always support local jobs. It creates wealth and prosperity, generates tax revenue and improves the provision of local services. 

Surprised you don't. Maybe your more of a capitalist than me. 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

By Alastair Dalton

Updated 1 hour ago

They can’t run a government properly never mind a ship builder another crock of shit by the snp 

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Your logic suggests support for moving manufacturing overseas to the cheapest alternate. 

Hardly building a strong Scottish economy, is it. 

I'll always support local jobs. It creates wealth and prosperity, generates tax revenue and improves the provision of local services. 

Surprised you don't. Maybe your more of a capitalist than me. 

My logic suggests that you've got nowhere to go with the standard SNP bad schtick you came barreling on with.

Ferguson marine are not competitive and did not win an open tender to build the CalMac ferries. 

If the SG had awarded them the work outwith the tender process then you'd have been all over it for one, not tendering a large public contract and two using a contractor that cannot deliver on time or on budget. 

Governments cannot simply just award multi-million pound public contracts to their mates, or pub landlords now can they?

12 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

They can’t run a government properly never mind a ship builder another crock of shit by the snp 

And as if to prove a point...........

Lord Montpelier
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

My logic suggests that you've got nowhere to go with the standard SNP bad schtick you came barreling on with.

Ferguson marine are not competitive and did not win an open tender to build the CalMac ferries. 

If the SG had awarded them the work outwith the tender process then you'd have been all over it for one, not tendering a large public contract and two using a contractor that cannot deliver on time or on budget. 

Governments cannot simply just award multi-million pound public contracts to their mates, or pub landlords now can they?

And as if to prove a point...........

You should call the Boss, she might make you Minister for Offshoring Scottish jobs.

Roles reversed here, I think I'm being more nationalist than you MT. Don't worry , I'll fly the flag for Scottish lives and livelihoods. 

The Mighty Thor
31 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

You should call the Boss, she might make you Minister for Offshoring Scottish jobs.

Roles reversed here, I think I'm being more nationalist than you MT. Don't worry , I'll fly the flag for Scottish lives and livelihoods. 

You see I'm not a myopic SNP fan boi.

They need criticism when it's due and Ferguson Marine was a shit show

doctor jambo
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You see I'm not a myopic SNP fan boi.

They need criticism when it's due and Ferguson Marine was a shit show

It’s not the point . We have a shipyard , with skilled workers, run by the govt, and they don’t trust themselves to deliver

Lord Montpelier
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It’s not the point . We have a shipyard , with skilled workers, run by the govt, and they don’t trust themselves to deliver

Correct Good Doctor

We have the capability, use it. 

As it is the SNP administration have screwed up with the Ferguson Marine debacle, then as a result have offshored Scottish work to Turkey. Genius. 

doctor jambo
12 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Correct Good Doctor

We have the capability, use it. 

As it is the SNP administration have screwed up with the Ferguson Marine debacle, then as a result have offshored Scottish work to Turkey. Genius. 

Had thatcher done it the screams of betrayal would be ringing from on high. Yet we have a FM who is happy to run down the North Sea when it is at its most profitable in decades and kill shipbuilding.

What exactly is the vision for Scotland with no industry?

Foreign built windmills raised by foreign workers .

not much of a plan is it ?

where are the jobs?

nuclear? No

Faslane no

oil and gas no

Fracking no

shipbuilding no

so the vision is windmills and benefits?

Lord Montpelier
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Had thatcher done it the screams of betrayal would be ringing from on high. Yet we have a FM who is happy to run down the North Sea when it is at its most profitable in decades and kill shipbuilding.

What exactly is the vision for Scotland with no industry?

Foreign built windmills raised by foreign workers .

not much of a plan is it ?

where are the jobs?

nuclear? No

Faslane no

oil and gas no

Fracking no

shipbuilding no

so the vision is windmills and benefits?

The vision is to run down the economy to become predominantly public sector then blame the lack of inward investment on Westminster. They haven't got a clue. I'd put Blackford in charge of the economy, at least the humble crofter has some real life experience and could bring his investment banking skills to helping the Scottish economy. 

Or if that's not the vision, its certainly the reality . Sooner the likes of MT can see the shit show Scotland has become under Sturgeons SNP, the better for all of us. 

Roxy Hearts
2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Always with the negative waves!

Lord Montpelier
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Always with the negative waves!

Ah, there you are, thought you would pop up.  I'm being positive Roxy, Scottish jobs for Scottish people.  You should try it. Could even put it on the SNP website. 

Roxy Hearts
16 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Ah, there you are, thought you would pop up.  I'm being positive Roxy, Scottish jobs for Scottish people.  You should try it. Could even put it on the SNP website. 

👍you tease😁

Lord Montpelier
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

👍you tease😁

Lol. I'm starting a new political party. Scottish Workers Party. Me and you Roxy in charge 

manaliveits105
35 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The vision is to run down the economy to become predominantly public sector then blame the lack of inward investment on Westminster. They haven't got a clue. I'd put Blackford in charge of the economy, at least the humble crofter has some real life experience and could bring his investment banking skills to helping the Scottish economy. 

Or if that's not the vision, its certainly the reality . Sooner the likes of MT can see the shit show Scotland has become under Sturgeons SNP, the better for all of us. 

The poor crofter was just on news saying Britain got rid of Chamberlain during WW2 so no reason not to get rid of current prime minister during this crisis  - another who needs their background checked again 

he wants to sack Boris and his boss thinks it might be ok. to break the no fly zone 

a parcel of rogues right enough 

Lord Montpelier
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The poor crofter was just on news saying Britain got rid of Chamberlain during WW2 so no reason not to get rid of current prime minister during this crisis  - another who needs their background checked again 

he wants to sack Boris and his boss thinks it might be ok. to break the no fly zone 

a parcel of rogues right enough 

The crofter will say anything to appease his flock of sheep.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Tender process my good man. 

SG use it for all capital projects. 

Quite right too. When you bypass the process you end up with rampant corruption like Westminster. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The vision is to run down the economy to become predominantly public sector then blame the lack of inward investment on Westminster. They haven't got a clue. I' Blackford in charge of the economy, at least the humble crofter has some real life experience and could bring his investment banking skills to helping the Scottish economy. 

There you are. 

After some moderate posting you've slipped back into full frothing on the basis of.....absolutely nothing. Again. 

I can see the shit show we would be if the legacy parties were running the show given they achieved **** all in the 80 years or so they had the power up here. 

Lord Montpelier
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

There you are. 

After some moderate posting you've slipped back into full frothing on the basis of.....absolutely nothing. Again. 

I can see the shit show we would be if the legacy parties were running the show given they achieved **** all in the 80 years or so they had the power up here. 

Me and Roxy are starting a new political movement.  Scottish Workers Party - Scottish jobs for hard working Scottish people, keep the money local. Needing some members. 

You in ?

manaliveits105

The SG haven’t just scored an own goal they have ran behind the goals and given a GIRUY to their own fans ie the Ferguson Marine workers their families and local communities who I hope remember come elections 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Me and Roxy are starting a new political movement.  Scottish Workers Party - Scottish jobs for hard working Scottish people, keep the money local. Needing some members. 

You in ?

Scottish jobs for Scottish people? Your mask is slipping. Sounds like a BNP pamphlet.

Too inward looking and parochial for me. 

Scotland is a nation of innovators. Nae point looking backwards and continually doing things just cos it's aye been. 

I'm all about an outward looking Scotland. 

Lord Montpelier
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Scottish jobs for Scottish people? Your mask is slipping. Sounds like a BNP pamphlet.

Scotland is a nation of innovators. Nae point looking backwards and continually doing things just cos it's aye been. 

That will be a no then, your no fun MT could have been an historical moment as well. 

I should point out my wife is English and my sister in law is from the Caribbean. They can have jobs as well. I'm all for everyone in Scotland having jobs, so will take your feedback on board and rename it the Scottish Residents Workers Party to reflect my desire to keep the money local. And not in Turkey. 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

That will be a no then, your no fun MT could have been an historical moment as well. 

I should point out my wife is English and my sister in law is from the Caribbean. They can have jobs as well. I'm all for everyone in Scotland having jobs, so will take your feedback on board and rename it the Scottish Residents Workers Party to reflect my desire to keep the money local. And not in Turkey. 

Im old enough to remember when we used to have industry that made stuff. 

The reds and the blues annihilated them over the years, throwing Scottish workers aside without a backwards glance. 

Maybe distance your new party from the legacy parties. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

Lord Montpelier
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Im old enough to remember when we used to have industry that made stuff. 

The reds and the blues annihilated them over the years, throwing Scottish workers aside without a backwards glance. 

Maybe distance your new party from the legacy parties. 

Quite agree. And now it's the SNPs turn to destroy industries. We need to protest MT. 

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Lol. I'm starting a new political party. Scottish Workers Party. Me and you Roxy in charge 

That would do me 😊

The Mighty Thor

Quite agree. And now it's the SNPs turn to destroy industries. We need to protest MT. 

Sorry to break the news to you mate, there's no industry left to destroy. Soz.

Lord Montpelier
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Sorry to break the news to you mate, there's no industry left to destroy. Soz.

Plenty to build on. Renewables are the future MT for Scotland.  Coupled with its mostly excellent financial and services sector , lots to be positive about.  

Roxy Hearts
57 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Join in MT. Things are too serious as it is. 

The Mighty Thor
30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

When moronism is righteous, moronism is acceptable, but only to morons. 

I bet that sounded really good in your head. 

CF11JamTart

There's a specific and a general point here.

The general point... What is SG's long term industrial strategy? What does the SG envisage people doing for a living in years to come? Does manufacturing feature? If so, how can it make it happen? What's the steady pipeline of contracts that can sustain the manufacturering base? How can it award contracts directly to preferred suppliers:without having to go through formal competition and end up awarding the contract to lowest price bidder? 

For this one specifically, a conveniental tendering approach seems to have been used. Pre-qualification stage (might get 20 or so applications at this stage), downselect to Invitation To Tender stage (typically to 4 or 5 bidders) and then select one and award the contract. 

Ferguson Marine was unsuccessful at the Pre Qual stage. Not in the top 4 or 5 by score. Out. The scoring for these this really really clear and transparent. No room to fudge it. Unsurprisingly Ferguson Marine didn't get downselected... It's all about demonstrating, often with recent case studies, the general ability to do the work, and overall company stability.

Even if SG had WANTED to give Ferguson Marine the work, they had to be seen to follow the rules of the competition that they had set. If Fergusons scored badly at Pre Qual, they are out. Don't advance to ITT stage. 

In future, presumably being out of EU should mean that competitive tendering in accordance with OJEU processes etc can be avoided in future. Dunno. But even so,you would have to be very very confident that FM were going to turn it around before giving them even more work. 

Edited by CF11JamTart

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Looks even better when posted 😎

Anyway, there’s no space for thinking out posts in my head. Sturgeon takes up all the room and she ain’t even tossing me a few quid. (Sorry for pre-empting your next post there)

If i was being unkind I'd likely accuse you of not being the full shilling as opposed to being at the shilling. 😎

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Just as well you're not being unkind then 😁

I'm never one to take a cheap shot :whistling:

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As a self-confessed moron, I'm not even sure you'd be capable.

😚

I'm at peace with my inner moron. 

Took me years but I got there. 

• 2 weeks later...
manaliveits105

Audit Scotland can’t find out who in the Scottish Government in 2015 decided to go ahead with Ferguson Marine despite being advised not to because of no guarantees being available from Ferguson . Looks like it’s going to end up costing quarter of a billion pounds as well as being years behind schedule

Wee Kate couldn’t or wouldn’t answer Glen Campbell’s straight question who authorised it as she “wasn’t around then”  :interehjrling:

Despite bumping her gums about the new schedule being met this time she declined to stake her position on it 

A finance secretary with a finger on the pulse but no surprise from this hopeless Scottish government 

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Audit Scotland can’t find out who in the Scottish Government in 2015 decided to go ahead with Ferguson Marine despite being advised not to because of no guarantees being available from Ferguson . Looks like it’s going to end up costing quarter of a billion pounds as well as being years behind schedule

Wee Kate couldn’t or wouldn’t answer Glen Campbell’s straight question who authorised it as she “wasn’t around then”  :interehjrling:

Despite bumping her gums about the new schedule being met this time she declined to stake her position on it 

A finance secretary with a finger on the pulse but no surprise from this hopeless Scottish government 

Wee Kate can **** off !! 

CF11JamTart
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

It's a shambles from start to finish. 

No-one comes out of this at all well. Apart from the workers themselves, who have presumably not done much wrong. 

FMEL mgmt. The procuring agency. The end customer (SG). 

There is a case study on how to foul-up here.

manaliveits105

Chief Mammy said in Holyrood today (despite it being Derek Mackays fault) the buck stops with her - good 

hopefully she will do the right thing and resign then 

manaliveits105

Turns out Mackay was only a junior minister at the time not in the cabinet - his boss was Keith Brown who had made Fergusons the preferred bidder a month earlier but no documentary evidence can be found of Browns involvement of signing the deal off despite advice against doing so 

deary deary me what a shower 

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Chief Mammy said in Holyrood today (despite it being Derek Mackays fault) the buck stops with her - good 

hopefully she will do the right thing and resign then 

NS sitting in the jacuzzi sipping some fizz while sitting in the penthouse suite in your head

:greggy:

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

NS sitting in the jacuzzi sipping some fizz while sitting in the penthouse suite in your head

:clyay:

Japan Jambo
13 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

given where a previous SNP FM's London digs are that is surprisingly close to the bone - many a true word spoken in jest!!

Not that I'd begrudge a successful man accommodation near his place of work - especially as that gig will have recently come to an abrupt end through no fault of his own.