The rise and fall of The SNP.

16 minutes ago, Cade said:

The same way the auld yins one does.

Bus passes.

Use any time.

Use on any provider.

Bus companies are paid a static amount per passenger from the government.

No such thing as priority boarding.

Why not just go the whole hog and make it free to everybody. That is a policy that will get people out of cars. I doubt there are many school run mums in their Range Rover Evoques who will tell wee Hamish to get the bus now because it is free...

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Brighton Jambo
4 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

The Scottish branches of the other parties don’t break from Westminster policy though. You saw how that worked with both Kezia and Ruth finding themselves at odds with their English party HQs and just having to toe the line. 

Justin provides you with an example of where the Scottish Education system is performing well. Both myself and @Roxy Hearts have provided personal anecdotal accounts of why we believe the Scottish system to be better in terms of higher education. You can’t just stubbornly disregard these things and get angry at folk because they offer a different perspective.

I happen to think Police Scotland was a totally shit idea personally. I’ve said as much a few times. I don’t agree with it. On balance however, SNP policies and use of devolved powers have been positive imo. 

I know people who work in the Scottish NHS who don’t agree with the people you know there. You nor I can speak for all of them, as if they are all in political agreement on the topic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/john-swinney-set-to-miss-target-for-improving-deprived-schools-6ww8006qx

it’s all there, no anecdotes, no opinion.  Just plain facts.  

apologies if I get annoyed but how much more evidence is needed before people hold their hands up and say it’s just not good enough.  

I can provide just as many facts about missed NHS Targets, childcare provision targets, mental health provision targets.  

jack D and coke
Just now, weehammy said:

No goons at all in the SNP or Greens. A collection of political giants unparalleled in the annals of statesmanship.

Of course there is. There’s no competing with the Tories and labour though. Where is the likes of Dewar or even McConnell and Henry McLeish? David McLetchie was a good leader and so was Annabel Goldie for the conservatives. Since then it’s been literally eejit after eejit in both parties. 

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/john-swinney-set-to-miss-target-for-improving-deprived-schools-6ww8006qx

apologies if I get annoyed but how much more evidence is needed before people hold their hands up and say it’s just not good enough.  

I can provide just as many facts about missed NHS Targets, childcare provision targets, mental health provision targets.  

The anecdotes are of people’s kids going through the system. They are relevant. Free higher education remains one of the most important policies for many Scottish people. There are failings in every system, but I’m sorry, free higher education is a massive deal to a great many people.

I have kids in the childcare system myself, and I have no complaints whatsoever to be honest.

Healthcare? My Mum is terminally ill and we’ve had a few long term illnesses in the family in recent years. Again, nothing but praise for them.

36 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Just having another look at your links here. The PISA one is years out of date, from 2016. Not sure if you did that on purpose or not, but you chose the year we were performing at our worst. Since then we have rallied a fair bit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50563833

187812B2-8A6D-4E0C-83BC-6627CCEA71D3.png

F653457E-F2E9-4F2C-BAC9-B9262D97FCBF.png

22BF69D2-3405-434E-A7BE-4FEB3FC9407F.png

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

34 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

My data is based on real life and I've never heard anyone making disparaging remarks about the NHS or education. There are flaws in all public services, so we should support our teachers and nurses instead of using them as a tool to beat the SNP Government. 

I hope everyone in the UK is best served by our public servants as most politicians are a disgrace especially the opposition in the Scottish Parliament. Have a go when necessary but to constantly berate all achievements is disengenious. 

Apologies, was a bit distracted when posting that last post @Brighton Jambo. I posted the reading graph thinking it was a graph for all three targeted subjects overall. Science and maths need a lot of work for sure.

Im a STEM Ambassador, and I do a bit of outreach. Generally it’s schools from more deprived areas that you get the call from. I’m always impressed with the enthusiasm from the kids.

Brighton Jambo
34 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Just having another look at your links here. The PISA one is years out of date, from 2016. Not sure if you did that on purpose or not, but you chose the year we were performing at our worst. Since then we have rallied a fair bit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50563833

187812B2-8A6D-4E0C-83BC-6627CCEA71D3.png

F653457E-F2E9-4F2C-BAC9-B9262D97FCBF.png

22BF69D2-3405-434E-A7BE-4FEB3FC9407F.png

No sorry I meant to post recent figures but was googling in a hurry:  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/scotland/pisa-results-2019-scotland-worst-ever-performance-science-maths-1331557%3famp

32 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Fair enough, me too. I cocked up my reply for the same reasons. Definitely need to improve in maths and science. There is a big push on in STEM subjects up here just now. I became a STEM Ambassador in 2018, and I think the push was off the back of figures like these.

It’s a bit unfair to shout down anyone who also posts the positives though. Justin’s post was relevant, and I will not be convinced by anyone that free higher education is not one of the best policies in Scottish government history.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

44 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It’s a bit unfair to shout down anyone who also posts the positives though. Justin’s post was relevant, and I will not be convinced by anyone that free higher education is not one of the best policies in Scottish government history.

Thanks. As you cottoned on to, what I posted was for a bit of balance. Yet posting positive facts was immediately met with "This is the problem with supporters of the SNP" and "here you are arguing everyone has it wrong and they are doing a great job" when all I posted was factual information and no argument. Come on to ****.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with demanding improvement. But it is far from as dire or as black-and-white as I, an outsider, see it constantly painted here and in the media. It is hardly a "shambles".

29 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Thanks. As you cottoned on to, what I posted was for a bit of balance. Yet posting positive facts was immediately met with "This is the problem with supporters of the SNP" and "here you are arguing everyone has it wrong and they are doing a great job" when all I posted was factual information and no argument. Come on to ****.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with demanding improvement. But it is far from as dire or as black-and-white as I, an outsider, see it constantly painted here and in the media. It is hardly a "shambles".

I don’t consider you “an outsider”. Anyone who chooses to make Scotland their home is Scottish imo. 👍

5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I don’t consider you “an outsider”. Anyone who chooses to make Scotland their home is Scottish imo. 👍

Seconded. 

Cheers for that, guys. But I feel like it's important here. Five years ago I was barely aware of the existence of the SNP. It's not like I'm some long time ideologue and shill for Sturgeon and Salmond, incapable of independent thought and unwilling to see the party's flaws. I hope my perspective, coming from the outside, has been of some use.

10 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Jackson brings the same levels of fuddery to the job as mooth. 

Like or loathe her, she was good at what she did. Him, He's hopeless

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Like or loathe her, she was good at what she did. Him, He's hopeless

She was a pompous arsehole who flip flopped all over the place and got a free ride from the media here who never pulled her up for it. 

An utter fraud. 

Brighton Jambo
8 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Fair enough, me too. I cocked up my reply for the same reasons. Definitely need to improve in maths and science. There is a big push on in STEM subjects up here just now. I became a STEM Ambassador in 2018, and I think the push was off the back of figures like these.

I wouldn’t shout down someone like you who seems balanced and can recognise both positives and negatives and so we can have balanced nuanced debate.  

I don’t know how closely you follow Justin but he is one of the posters who will never accept that the SNP have ever done anything wrong or that any of the policies have failed.  It makes debate impossible and is very frustrating!  It’s also clearly wrong as no government anywhere ever gets everything right all the time, especially not after more than a decade in power.  

21 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

She was a pompous arsehole who flip flopped all over the place and got a free ride from the media here who never pulled her up for it. 

An utter fraud. 

Which helped her to what she needed to do. Bolster the No surrender mob.

jack D and coke
41 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I wouldn’t shout down someone like you who seems balanced and can recognise both positives and negatives and so we can have balanced nuanced debate.  

I don’t know how closely you follow Justin but he is one of the posters who will never accept that the SNP have ever done anything wrong or that any of the policies have failed.  It makes debate impossible and is very frustrating!  It’s also clearly wrong as no government anywhere ever gets everything right all the time, especially not after more than a decade in power.  

You could also argue that’s there’s plenty posters on here who refuse to accept they ever do anything right. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

An utter fraud. 

This.

She was lauded as the next big thing. That's a statement in itself of how shit and out of touch the conservative party are.

She showed her true blue colours on many occasions. The undercurrent of selfishness and nastiness is never far from the surface in that mob.

Brighton Jambo
58 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You could also argue that’s there’s plenty posters on here who refuse to accept they ever do anything right. 

True but I don’t consider myself one of them.  

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Didn’t say you were man👍🏼

I know, sorry wasn’t aiming that at you! Came out more adversarial than I intended! 

29 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Scary thing is it's not even a joke. History always teaches us lessons. 

It was a pretty appalling comment.

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It was a pretty appalling comment.

It's not the parallels are definitely there. They even hold rallies ffs

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

It's not the parallels are definitely there. They even hold rallies ffs

So do peppy American high school students.

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Translation: "I don't like when Justin posts factual information that shows the SNP in a positive light. It makes feeling like my biased opinions are correct, impossible, and is very frustrating! It's also clearly wrong as no government anywhere ever gets everything right all the time, which is why Justin came out on this forum very vocally against the named person scheme, minimum alcohol pricing, and about 17 other things . . . oops, what was I saying?"

17 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You may well be right but equally the key topics here are NHS, Education, Policing which are devolved so the Scottish parties could do as they saw fit for Scotland without direct interference from the Southern overloads as you put it.   

if the view is that we in Scotland should never vote for anyone other than SNP due to fact the other parties are seen as controlled on devolved matters by Westminster then it calls into question why have a Scottish Parliament at all.  

I was more meaning that those devolved powers would be brought into alignment with rUK policies, especially, IMO, if it were the Tories in charge.

I'm sure the Scottish branches of the Unionist parties would not be controlled by the UK party, but I can't help but feel, especially in the case of the Tory Party, that they would have minimal if any divergence in policies.

jambos are go!

I have been around for a good while and don't recollect  John  Major or the odious Thatcher being accused of being a sex offenders. In fact any criminal activity. 

Brighton Jambo
11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Translation: "I don't like when Justin posts factual information that shows the SNP in a positive light. It makes feeling like my biased opinions are correct, impossible, and is very frustrating! It's also clearly wrong as no government anywhere ever gets everything right all the time, which is why Justin came out on this forum very vocally against the named person scheme, minimum alcohol pricing, and about 17 other things . . . oops, what was I saying?"

If what you say is true then I apologise for mischaracterising you.  There are posters on here who swear blind that the SNP can and have never done wrong and everything bad is someone else’s fault.  I though you were one such poster and if not then as I say apologies.  

13 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

I have been around for a good while and don't recollect  John  Major or the odious Thatcher being accused of being a sex offenders. In fact any criminal activity. 

The thought of either having sex is fairly offensive to be honest. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Depends what you call criminal activity. Cosying up to a mass murderer in Pinochet? Knowingly doing nothing about beasts and paedophiles in her cabinet? That do for starters? 
John Major (who i actually like) His cabinet was called out numerous times, nothing but sleaze allegations and pumped Edwina Currie while married to poor Norma. 
I’ll reiterate I like John Major. A Tory but one I can listen to and I don’t want to tell him to **** off. 

Space Mackerel
43 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Time to post this link to this Twitter thread for the umpteenth time. 

You should remember a fair few of these? 

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

If what you say is true then I apologise for mischaracterising you.  There are posters on here who swear blind that the SNP can and have never done wrong and everything bad is someone else’s fault.  I though you were one such poster and if not then as I say apologies.  

I appreciate that. What I am annoyed by is the lack of balance. I see the SNP do good things, I may say something about it. Likewise if I see them do bad things. And indeed, the same goes for Westminster, and I can come up with very, very few good things to say about their last ten years.

You asked Doofy whether he'd closely followed my posts, but I was left wondering if you had--if you'd missed me having a go at posts by ri alban, coconut doug, Pans, and other ardent supporters of independence when I felt they had stepped wrong. That said, it's just a message forum and hopefully none of us is even reading 10% of the content here. :lol:

Thanks for the "peace offering"--I do appreciate it very much.

jambos are go!
3 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Time to post this link to this Twitter thread for the umpteenth time. 

You should remember a fair few of these? 

You are comparing chalk with cheese. I was talking about criminal activity at the top of government.  The examples you refer to go down to council level and most are far from criminal. From the top of my head there may be many, many thousand of UK politicians being assessed against hundreds in Scotland. That's distorting the facts to suit a political agenda would you not agree?

Space Mackerel
42 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Oh well, if MattThomas says so it must be true.

(Who is he again?)

Each Tweet, and there are plenty there, are backed up with various MSM and newspaper reports and links validating every conviction etc. 

Try and read the Tweet thread 👍

Space Mackerel
44 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

You are comparing chalk with cheese. I was talking about criminal activity at the top of government.  The examples you refer to go down to council level and most are far from criminal. From the top of my head there may be many, many thousand of UK politicians being assessed against hundreds in Scotland. That's distorting the facts to suit a political agenda would you not agree?

Should this thread not be called “The Rise and Fall of the Unionist Parties” because that’s what happened 3 months ago? 😁😁😁

5B84B074-5696-456B-8EC0-15A07B60A3D2.jpeg

48 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Another extract from the Trump playbook. Look forward to the ‘validated’ tweets once fat Alex’s case starts.

Pathetic from the baith of you.

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

Should this thread not be called “The Rise and Fall of the Unionist Parties” because that’s what happened 3 months ago? 😁😁😁

5B84B074-5696-456B-8EC0-15A07B60A3D2.jpeg

Would be grateful if you would address the points I made and the question I asked rather than changing the subject!!!

57 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Would be grateful if you would address the points I made and the question I asked rather than changing the subject!!!

8 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Probably covered them up like the Libdems. Saville, Harris, Clifford, Hall and countless other Tory members and fund raisers, no doubt. But hey. The Tories are wonderful.

How many Tories were done for expenses fraud?

Edited by ri Alban

Space Mackerel
57 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

That Labour dude has made every point in his MASSIVE thread.

You can start of your own SNP one on here...1, 2, 3...jambo is go! 

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Depends what you call criminal activity. Cosying up to a mass murderer in Pinochet? Knowingly doing nothing about beasts and paedophiles in her cabinet? That do for starters? 
John Major (who i actually like) His cabinet was called out numerous times, nothing but sleaze allegations and pumped Edwina Currie while married to poor Norma. 
I’ll reiterate I like John Major. A Tory but one I can listen to and I don’t want to tell him to **** off. 

Why did David Macletchie resign again?

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You’d have to tell me I don’t know. 

Expenses bud. 

Mind Jeffrey Archer and David Mellor. And the iraqi arms scandal. Mark Thatcher remember him I'm sure there's hunners mair. In fact, if you look up political scandals, you'll be there all day. Labour are fecking incredible. Shocking! Libdems, they should be jailed.

Edited by ri Alban

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Expenses bud. 

Mind Jeffrey Archer and David Mellor. And the iraqi arms scandal. Mark Thatcher remember him I'm sure there's hunners mair. In fact, if you look up political scandals, you'll be there all day. Labour are fecking incredible. Shocking! Libdems, they should be jailed.

Wasn’t aware of that. There’s a list as long as your arm about WM politicians. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Wasn’t aware of that. There’s a list as long as your arm about WM politicians. 

Mr Tickle's arms. FFS, Mr Tickle is quite apt. :D

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

That Labour dude has made every point in his MASSIVE thread.

You can start of your own SNP one on here...1, 2, 3...jambo is go! 

Can you just answer instead of dodging the question and points yet again!!

7 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

You're not really paying attention are you ? just popping up now and again to share your unchecked opinions.

What about this guy? Sir Peter Morrison her pps or Sir Jimmy Saville her yutetide companion for many years. She aso knew about Cyril Smith but didnt do anything about him either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/abuse-inquiry-mp-peter-morrison-backed-by-thatcher-despite-claims-against-him-3jbnw9095

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/11/mi5-did-not-tell-police-of-former-mps-penchant-for-small-boys-inquiry-hears

As for criminal activities her son and Pinochet have already been mentioned, she also supported the genocidal regime of Pohl Pot.

http://johnpilger.com/articles/dance-on-thatcher-s-grave-but-remember-there-has-been-a-coup-in-britain   This is one of the most horrendous crimes ever committed, right up there with the holocaust and Thatcher supported him and spoke for his interests at the UN.

I'm with Jack D on Major though, no wonder the Tories wanted rid of him.

Space Mackerel
38 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

And Michael Gove and Boris Johnson are coke heids.

4 hours ago, weehammy said:

Another extract from the Trump playbook. Look forward to the ‘validated’ tweets once fat Alex’s case starts.

Therapist? 🤔