The rise and fall of The SNP.

Unknown user
11 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Yet you expect to be taken seriously

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

QAnon has come. Wish I posted this tweet yesterday.

On the bright side, any lurkers who thought they were reading reasonable critiques all around, now have an easy marker for the absolute moon howlers, where reality is the exact opposite of everything they say.

It's pretty pathetic, but as you say it's best letting them get on with it so everyone can see the blatant lies and gobshitery they're prepared to spout in the name of scoring a point, any point.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

A Boy Named Crow
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's pretty pathetic, but as you say it's best letting them get on with it so everyone can see the blatant lies and gobshitery they're prepared to spout in the name of scoring a point, any point.

I've said it before, there are posters on here (two in particular) who post in a way that is so out of step with reality that I came to the conclusion long ago they are actually "cybernats" posing as unionists to discredit the other side.

Roxy Hearts
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Sturgeon is actually as dense as her cult if she thinks Johnson will roll over on her aye2 ref demands.

Who do you think would win in a Scottish court? The sovereign people of Scotland or a moronic buffoon and its archaic system in Westminster? Claim of right.

doctor jambo
11 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Who do you think would win in a Scottish court? The sovereign people of Scotland or a moronic buffoon and its archaic system in Westminster? Claim of right.

The buffoon would win. We are part of the uk and agreed to and bound by the law

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Which is exactly why the claim of right is so significant

doctor jambo
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Which is exactly why the claim of right is so significant

My musings on this are changeable .

are we sovereign ?

what is “Scottish”?

what is a border? 
who decides? ( just look at Ukraine )

do the people of the borders get to decide to be part of England ? Shetland get to break away?

Can we not work together for a better future?

I don’t like separatism -“we are different “ no, we’re not.

Northerners vs southerners, Scots vs English .

UK vs Eu

its all sad and the political classes playing their games and manipulating the people 

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yep, the fact that this shite was said by a Nationalist politician at the ALBA Women's conference makes it all the more astonishing. I hope the Flag shaggers who have been promoting the SNP/ALBA ticket are taking note. Homophobia has no place in Scottish politics.

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

A Scottish Court is not going to decide the issue I'm afraid. You can make plenty empty vessel noise ootside though, maybe take to the streets with bloated molester Eck for a gies ma freedumb riot.

Unknown user
45 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yep, the fact that this shite was said by a Nationalist politician at the ALBA Women's conference makes it all the more astonishing. I hope the Flag shaggers who have been promoting the SNP/ALBA ticket are taking note. Homophobia has no place in Scottish politics.

Homophobia?

Out of interest, what do you think we're talking about?

Roxy Hearts
3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

are we sovereign ?

what is “Scottish”?

what is a border? 

do the people of the borders get to decide to be part of England ? Shetland get to break away?

UK vs Eu

its all sad and the political classes playing their games and manipulating the people 

There shouldn't be any countries then?

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

A Scottish Court is not going to decide the issue I'm afraid. You can make plenty empty vessel noise ootside though, maybe take to the streets with bloated molester Eck for a gies ma freedumb riot.

Of course they can. They represent the Scottish people. What you on about with rest of your stupid post?

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Homophobia?

Out of interest, what do you think we're talking about?

I know what I'm talking about, I've just realised you don't have a scooby 🤣

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I know what I'm talking about, I've just realised you don't have a scooby 🤣

Nope, nor a Scrappy, but you have my attention, let's hear it

Unknown user
3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

are we sovereign ?

what is “Scottish”?

what is a border? 

UK vs Eu

Like you say, we're bound to the law, so is Westminster.

4 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

There shouldn't be any countries then?

Of course they can. They represent the Scottish people. What you on about with rest of your stupid post?

There's a wee thing called the Scotland Act that only the UK parliament can amend, see. Nicoliar can hold a wee rogue ref but it will have zero legal status unless Johnson agrees. That sorted your stupid wee neep heid out for now?

Roxy Hearts
6 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

There's a wee thing called the Scotland Act that only the UK parliament can amend, see. Nicoliar can hold a wee rogue ref but it will have zero legal status unless Johnson agrees. That sorted your stupid wee neep heid out for now?

No need to be angry all the time! If your confident then calm down. Scottish people are sovereign and Westminster know this. Scotland Act or Section 30s are about denying democracy. 

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

As others have said I just thank the Lord that you aren't a real doctor 

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Says the guy who lives in London 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yep it was disappointing regarding homphobia.  They have lost my vote now. 

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

How come that Wings Over Scotland fella is now seen as a credible blogger by No voters? Previously he was a slavering erse to them. 

He was a moon howling bam before, he's a moon howling bam now. 

Governor Tarkin
17 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

are we sovereign ?

what is “Scottish”?

what is a border? 

UK vs Eu

Some good talking points in amongst that.

3fingersreid
On 08/04/2021 at 10:38, Jeffros Furios said:

I stopped working due to covid and me becoming an unpaid carer   didn't renew brief which expired last Oct .

So after 17 yrs of working 6 days a week I got feck all .

Not sure if it’s of interest to you but here’s the latest response from unite regarding the taxi fund , also Edinburgh and glasgow got £1,500 allocated , aberdeen got that plus £1000, dundee extra £1500 biggest allocation went to the Angus area , they totalled just under £4,000 . I’m not sure how the different totals were worked out 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi guys, just a wee update. Today some our reps met with a government official for a second time with the expectation that he was going to be offering a finance package for the trade. This was the impression that we had been given previously. However, at today's meeting he told us that no support package for the taxi trade would be made available as basically, there was no money left. He said that once the new parliament sits after the election in May, this may be looked at again- and trust us, we will be pushing and pushing them for support.
We are bitterly disappointed and angry - just as every one of you will be. We have been sold down the river and the trade is basically being left to rot. We all need to take a few deep breaths and think very seriously about what action we take going forward. This is not the end of the fight as far as we are concerned. We will not give up - we need to fight even harder. Once we have more information, we will let you all know, bit right now, everyone of us is probably too angry to think straight. Keep the Faith
Your commitee

and I’ll repeat I think all govts and all party’s should be held to account ( no pun intended) by fully independent financial scrutiny and I don’t like or trust 99% of politicians from all party’s .

manaliveits105

There needs to be an investigation into what the Scottish Government have done with all these funds the public keep saying has never been passed on to them 

jack D and coke
25 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not sure if it’s of interest to you but here’s the latest response from unite regarding the taxi fund , also Edinburgh and glasgow got £1,500 allocated , aberdeen got that plus £1000, dundee extra £1500 biggest allocation went to the Angus area , they totalled just under £4,000 . I’m not sure how the different totals were worked out 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi guys, just a wee update. Today some our reps met with a government official for a second time with the expectation that he was going to be offering a finance package for the trade. This was the impression that we had been given previously. However, at today's meeting he told us that no support package for the taxi trade would be made available as basically, there was no money left. He said that once the new parliament sits after the election in May, this may be looked at again- and trust us, we will be pushing and pushing them for support.
We are bitterly disappointed and angry - just as every one of you will be. We have been sold down the river and the trade is basically being left to rot. We all need to take a few deep breaths and think very seriously about what action we take going forward. This is not the end of the fight as far as we are concerned. We will not give up - we need to fight even harder. Once we have more information, we will let you all know, bit right now, everyone of us is probably too angry to think straight. Keep the Faith
Your commitee

and I’ll repeat I think all govts and all party’s should be held to account ( no pun intended) by fully independent financial scrutiny and I don’t like or trust 99% of politicians from all party’s .

Sore one mate. I feel for everyone affected in this shitshow. Hopefully with things opening up now you’ll get a right good turn this summer👍🏼

16 hours ago, XB52 said:

Says the guy who lives in London 

Unfortunately Homophobia seems to be a global prejudice, but the old pedophile slur is one I'd hoped had died with the dinosaurs. Interesting you should mention where I live and not deal with the issue though. 

As an aside, I spend more time in Edinburgh than London at the moment, but whatever place in the world I choose to be, I'm not a bigot. What about you?

Malinga the Swinga
On 12/04/2021 at 07:42, Justin Z said:

Sorry, I missed this previously. Thing is, your focus here was on Scots billionaires only. But for decades those with obscene money in the entire UK have been allowed to squirrel it away off-shore, hurting the prospects of normal folks.

That's the larger context, and it's one of many harms of being in the Union. The way to look at the question isn't just "how will we benefit in an independent Scotland" like you said and got called daft for, harshly. That's not the whole picture. It's also "how much have we already lost by being in the Union". We can be pretty precise about that—at least as precise as our data is—because it's historical.

The trillion pound oil fund Scotland could have, like Norway does, is another example. But those profits went to private enterprise in London instead of benefiting Scottish citizens.

It also answers your "how will we pay for ______" question by shifting it to the past—that's how Scotland would've paid for it, with hundreds of billions to spare for a crisis like Covid, given the opportunity for independence a half century ago. No one knew of this possibility with any certainty in 1968. By 1970, everything had changed.

Is Scotland really prepared to sacrifice the next trillion over the next half century, simply because the future isn't 100% crystal clear, and we don't know the exact opportunity that will arise? So afraid of risk that we're willing to keep sacrificing a 13-figure opportunity cost to maintain this kind of status quo?

I really hope not, you know?

Deal with the facts, not what might have been. You, I and everyone have no idea of what we would have done if independence had been achieved earlier. It's all hypothetical, as is the current plan. 

Never mind 100% clear, It's not 1% clear. I'm not voting for Unicorns and Rainbows when it comes to my kids futures. 

Give us detailed plan on, currency, costs, job losses (or gains), what settlement we will be aiming for with rest of UK, armed forces, how we pay for education and health amongst other things. Education in particular is a concern when government is refusing to publish report that was due in February but is being held back till after election, rumoured to be because it is damning on standards. 

I don’t want whataboutery as excuse, I know what Westminster is like. I simply don't believe Scottish government, having seen how Swinnie and Sturgeon act here, and how Blackford carries on in Westminster, would be any different. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Unfortunately Homophobia seems to be a global prejudice, but the old pedophile slur is one I'd hoped had died with the dinosaurs. Interesting you should mention where I live and not deal with the issue though. 

As an aside, I spend more time in Edinburgh than London at the moment, but whatever place in the world I choose to be, I'm not a bigot. What about you?

Well said. Yes as you rightly state the linking pedophilia with gays is the oldest and sickest stunt in the homophobes book. That candidate looks a right nasty cow . That party has lost any respect I initially had for it by supporting her and her views. They can do one. 

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Sore one mate. I feel for everyone affected in this shitshow. Hopefully with things opening up now you’ll get a right good turn this summer👍🏼

Fingers , toes , legs,  arms and even eyes crossed 😀

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Deal with the facts, not what might have been. You, I and everyone have no idea of what we would have done if independence had been achieved earlier. It's all hypothetical, as is the current plan. 

Never mind 100% clear, It's not 1% clear. I'm not voting for Unicorns and Rainbows when it comes to my kids futures. 

Give us detailed plan on, currency, costs, job losses (or gains), what settlement we will be aiming for with rest of UK, armed forces, how we pay for education and health amongst other things. Education in particular is a concern when government is refusing to publish report that was due in February but is being held back till after election, rumoured to be because it is damning on standards. 

I don’t want whataboutery as excuse, I know what Westminster is like. I simply don't believe Scottish government, having seen how Swinnie and Sturgeon act here, and how Blackford carries on in Westminster, would be any different. 

wasting your time mate the snp party still have no answers after over 7 years never mind their separatist followers on here - they constantly claim that non cultists have nothing to offer but when the same questions have been  asked over and over they are poorly answered or  ignored and they toddle off and look for some more tories are bad stories. Anybody who disagrees with them is a troll obviously  - deflect - whatabootery - insults - all quite sad .

22 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

are we sovereign ?

what is “Scottish”?

what is a border? 

UK vs Eu

Not whilst middle England holds all the cards and will vote Tory in perpeptua, leaving Labour having to be Tory-lite to have any chance of winning power - with their chances lessened by the Tories playing with electoral boundaries. Not that much changed when Labour were in power - I recall they started the demonization of peaceful protest during the fuel crisis and introduced the debasing and humiliating capita interrogations for those claiming disability/ill health welfare. The inch that gave Ian Duncan Smith the opportunity to take a mile and turn the DWP into the gestapo and hammer the unemployed with cruel sanctions that saw the likes of that ex-soldier die from hunger in a spartan flat as he drove home his digusting ideology. Did Labour abolish the House of Lords or ban WMDs? Did they ****. 

I do agree that there are other disenfranchised groups in the UK, not just Scotland but no-one seems to be able to ever get a party in that will take care of the downtrodden, poor and forgotten masses in this country and make meaningful improvements. They are all, frankly, owned by the corporations and the Murdochs and present nothing but the illusion of choice. Independence appears to me the only way to possibly ever change the political landscape so that, like the Scandinavian countries - quality of life, the people of a country and the environment are put before scraping more and more of the pot away for the few elites and corporations. 

So where do we go to get meaningful change and the chance to move away from neo-liberal economics? Nowhere. At least devolution gave a modicum of feeling that we are in charge of our own destiny and can make some changes that round off the worst effects of the usual tory punishments against the poor like the room tax. 

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

For the avoidance of doubt I think that quote from her is scandalous and it doesn't matter one bit what party she used to be part of. It is a terrible attempt to equate lgbt groups and the SG with encouraging paedophilea. No surprise that it originated from the homophobic bigot at WoS. 

jack D and coke
23 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

are we sovereign ?

what is “Scottish”?

what is a border? 

UK vs Eu

Whilst I don’t disagree with some of the points it’s a change of tack from in quite happy cos “I’m considerably more successful than yow!” 

03F96D74-F622-4515-9A69-3D2A36E98E51.gif

doctor jambo
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with some of the points it’s a change of tack from in quite happy cos “I’m considerably more successful than yow!” 

03F96D74-F622-4515-9A69-3D2A36E98E51.gif

Not really , it’s all relative.

no matter where I moved/ lived etc I would continue to be well off.

in the same manner that people with little skills would remain poor.

nations and borders don’t change that and never have.

therein lies the problem.

Politics is about convincing people to think they can have what others have, or to have more than they do, despite the fact their skills are not worth the same as someone else’s .

the REAL goal would be persuading kids to work at school and try their hardest.

but they don’t .

the greatest difference to educational achievement is parental attitude to education .

do poorly at school and chances are your earnings will be lower.

Scotgov have had full power over education, and have done f-all.

Its easier to blame others than yourself

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Not really , it’s all relative.

no matter where I moved/ lived etc I would continue to be well off.

in the same manner that people with little skills would remain poor.

nations and borders don’t change that and never have.

therein lies the problem.

Politics is about convincing people to think they can have what others have, or to have more than they do, despite the fact their skills are not worth the same as someone else’s .

the REAL goal would be persuading kids to work at school and try their hardest.

but they don’t .

the greatest difference to educational achievement is parental attitude to education .

do poorly at school and chances are your earnings will be lower.

Scotgov have had full power over education, and have done f-all.

Its easier to blame others than yourself

As a wee build on your last point, I noticed that the Scottish Greens are proposing to end homework for primary school children as they believe it disadvantages children who live in an environment where motivation to work hard is not present. They believe it contributes to the growing attainment gap.

I actually despair about some of the nonsense politicians come out with around education and wonder how many of them are even parents themselves. 

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, pablo said:

As a wee build on your last point, I noticed that the Scottish Greens are proposing to end homework for primary school children as they believe it disadvantages children who live in an environment where motivation to work hard is not present. They believe it contributes to the growing attainment gap.

I actually despair about some of the nonsense politicians come out with around education and wonder how many of them are even parents themselves. 

The auld Scot's mantra for us bairns brought up in the schemes was work hard and stick in at school so you can move out of here. With roughly 90% of people that live in schemes that auld mantra is long gone.

3 minutes ago, pablo said:

I actually agree with the Greens point there. In the last year some people I know have been super vigilant about their kids education and homeschooling and some, including relatives, have been lax and done nothing but moan about it. This will be the case even under normal circumstances, some people just have very different ideas about the welfare of their kids. I was dreadful at getting motivated to do homework and always resented it and don’t think it’s a good way to educate as it’s done as quickly as possible or just not done. 

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I actually agree with the Greens point there. In the last year some people I know have been super vigilant about their kids education and homeschooling and some, including relatives, have been lax and done nothing but moan about it. This will be the case even under normal circumstances, some people just have very different ideas about the welfare of their kids. I was dreadful at getting motivated to do homework and always resented it and don’t think it’s a good way to educate as it’s done as quickly as possible or just not done. 

But life is about differences, that's what how we are judged throughout life. Employers will always looks a candidates and if they have to separate two, will look at who plays sports, who does voluntary work, who has done the Duke of Edinburgh award etc. Dangerous path to go down to say to young children, that you don't have to go the extra mile to stand out.

I agree with @John Findlay on this. 

5 minutes ago, pablo said:

But life is about differences, that's what how we are judged throughout life. Employers will always looks a candidates and if they have to separate two, will look at who plays sports, who does voluntary work, who has done the Duke of Edinburgh award etc. Dangerous path to go down to say to young children, that you don't have to go the extra mile to stand out.

I agree with @John Findlay on this. 

But the onus isn’t on the kids it’s on the parents. A primary school age kid shouldn’t have to understand that their future life will be better if they stick in at their homework as few will understand the implications. I’m bloody good at my job but should I be judged on what I did at school age in terms of out of school activities? 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

But the onus isn’t on the kids it’s on the parents. A primary school age kid shouldn’t have to understand that their future life will be better if they stick in at their homework as few will understand the implications. I’m bloody good at my job but should I be judged on what I did at school age in terms of out of school activities? 

No, but you've given enough away over the years that makes it obvious that your employment is more a vocation and you ended up in an industry that you love. Which is great, but not the norm.

It's tough out there and won't be getting any easier any time soon.

I don't think levelling off expectations of kids is the way to close the attainment gap. I believe the opposite.

Unknown user
48 minutes ago, pablo said:

It's an interesting concept, we all did homework, it's a societal expectation.

But what does it achieve? Is there evidence to suggest kids end up with better education because of it?

I'm not saying yay or nay, but I'd say it's worth investigating

John Findlay
21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nonsense. I understood it from the day I started school. 15th of April 1968. When I was off with measles, my dad went round the school and got my school work for me to do in bed. My sums, my spellings(words kept in an old empty tobacco tin), then my dad when I was coming up for 8yrs old used to get me to read the Daily Express( broadsheet in those days) to him. A good education was drummed into me from the start.

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, pablo said:

Imagine hard work giving you an advantage. The sooner the kids realise they are in competition with kids in China and India etc and if you doss through school don’t be shocked if your life ends up poor and shit, the better.

jambostuart
22 minutes ago, pablo said:

No, but you've given enough away over the years that makes it obvious that your employment is more a vocation and you ended up in an industry that you love. Which is great, but not the norm.

It's tough out there and won't be getting any easier any time soon.

I don't think levelling off expectations of kids is the way to close the attainment gap. I believe the opposite.

So a job in the arts requires less education? I would say that's a poor attitude and hope you don't cast that against someone who works as an electrician or joiner, which require a lot of learning. There are different types of education and the concept of 3rs is ridiculously outdated. Time to change the whole attitude of education from the youngest age I think

58 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The auld Scot's mantra for us bairns brought up in the schemes was work hard and stick in at school so you can move out of here. With roughly 90% of people that live in schemes that auld mantra is long gone.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Nonsense. I understood it from the day I started school. 15th of April 1968. When I was off with measles, my dad went round the school and got my school work for me to do in bed. My sums, my spellings(words kept in an old empty tobacco tin), then my dad when I was coming up for 8yrs old used to get me to read the Daily Express( broadsheet in those days) to him. A good education was drummed into me from the start.

Well if it’s nonsense explain the part in your first post about 90% of people that live in schemes not having that type of ethos anymore? Your dad might have had that kind of mindset but your now saying most don’t nowadays. 

1 minute ago, jambostuart said:

So a job in the arts requires less education? I would say that's a poor attitude and hope you don't cast that against someone who works as an electrician or joiner, which require a lot of learning. There are different types of education and the concept of 3rs is ridiculously outdated. Time to change the whole attitude of education from the youngest age I think

Of the 20 or so people that are still in my workplace after redundancies due to COVID nearly every person has a degree of some sort. 

30 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Of course I'm not suggesting that tradesmen are less valuable, knowledgeable or skilled than those in other careers. I'm not even sure how you would get that from my point about stopping homework for primary school children, might  send out the wrong message to the young?

Edited by pablo