The rise and fall of The SNP.

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

You won't.

Many leave every year , have done for decades (I'm one of them) due to lack of opportunity.

But words are cheap. 

Ah, one of these anglo nats demanding independence from the safety of the shires. I bet you won't be selling up and moving back if and when. You'll stay put won't you. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

10 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

In an Indie Scotland, can we look forward to our pension becoming world beating?

What do you think ? 

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

How are they getting on with their Covid vaccines?

The Dutch haven't offered jags to their over 70s yet. 

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

Will a high vaccine rate help the 130k dead?

Obviously not, but the millions left will benefit.  Have yiur Dutch friends had their jab yet?   I have had mine.

Roxy Hearts
15 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Scotland will have its own NHS.

It's separate now. It's actually the SNHS, thankfully. Don't want Westminster anywhere near it!

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The Dutch haven't offered jags to their over 70s yet. 

You are a funny guy . . .   I kill you last!!  Lol

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

Ah, one of these anglo nats demanding independence from the safety of the shires. I bet you won't be selling up and moving back if and when. You'll stay put won't you. 

It's not about me and I'm not demanding anything - as you are well aware.

And for the record , we're looking to come home and have already  spent time in the s west looking for a house.

Good luck with the diaspora. 

I've got to hand it to you, you got your arse on a plate the last time we "debated" but spare me the invective. But then if you didn't have insults you wouldn't have anything. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Jamstomorrow said:

You are a funny guy . . .   I kill you last!!  Lol

I'm actually exchanging WhatsApp messages with a Dutch friend just now. That's what we have been discussing.

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's separate now. It's actually the SNHS, thankfully. Don't want Westminster anywhere near it!

Yep.  It's another top class institution.   

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm actually exchanging WhatsApp messages with a Dutch friend just now. That's what we have been discussing.

I am a KLM gold card holder.

Jamstomorrow
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

None of us are old enough (going by UK timelines). 

Anyway, this is about long term financial viability rather than who’s had a jab during an awful but brief pandemic. 

I hope it is brief, Barney.  Somehow I suspect it and its variants may not be, however.

Jeffros Furios
45 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

And 68℅ of the UK's natural erseholes. 

There's no way you're Scottish .

Jamstomorrow
Just now, Jeffros Furios said:

There's no way you're Scottish .

He used the word 'erseholes.'  I reckon he is.

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He's one of the 68%.

Maybe that is how he knows what he is talking about.  Lol

Roxy Hearts
7 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Yep.  It's another top class institution.   

It is indeed and the staff are remarkable. 

1 minute ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Maybe that is how he knows what he is talking about.  Lol

Looks like he's run off again, after making another erse of himself. 😄

Probably looking up his "Big Book of Hyperbole". 

Jamstomorrow

Looks like he's run off again, after making another erse of himself. 😄

Probably looking up his "Big Book of Hyperbole". 

He has probably just got better things to do. . . .  unlike me!!  Lol

36 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Standard & Poor's have confirmed that an independent Scotland would start with a AAA credit rating, while the UK were downgraded to AA a few years ago and are in danger of dropping further.

Scotland would actually have access to lower interest rates, but thanks for bringing it up.

The very low interests rate WM are getting at the moment allowed them to borrow heavily to carry us through this pandemic. I’ve no idea what Scotland’s position would be now and what percentage they would get.

Jamstomorrow
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Good to have consensus once in a while!

I disagree with you there!!!  Lol

41 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Standard & Poor's have confirmed that an independent Scotland would start with a AAA credit rating, while the UK were downgraded to AA a few years ago and are in danger of dropping further.

Scotland would actually have access to lower interest rates, but thanks for bringing it up.

Thanks for that by the way I wasn’t aware of S&Ps rating for an independent Scotland.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The very low interests rate WM are getting at the moment allowed them to borrow heavily to carry us through this pandemic. I’ve no idea what Scotland’s position would be now and what percentage they would get.

The UK are getting low rates just now, Scotland's would be even lower. That's how it works, that's what the credit ratings decide, and S&P are the biggest of the big 3 in that game.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Thanks for that by the way I wasn’t aware of S&Ps rating for an independent Scotland.

It's simply based on us having a modern first world economy with no negative track record re. debt and repayments. I was reading about it a couple of months ago, pretty interesting, you'd think you'd start at the bottom and work your way up but I'm no expert in these things

9 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Toning it down a bit, there will be twists and turns in this story over the next few weeks and both sides will feel on top at times. 

Best case scenario for the SNP  is that there’s no major damage but they get their knuckles rapped. 

Worst case for them is Sturgeon resigns. 

It’ll probably land somewhere in between and someone relatively high ranking falls on their sword and we all move on. Mr Sturgeon for example. 

The issue for those who are anti SNP/Independence is that the SNP will still win the election comfortably regardless of whether Sturgeon or a traffic cone is in charge and that will still be seen as a mandate for another referendum. 

The issue for the tories and Lib Dem’s is that there’s a serious will for another referendum so all they can do is continue the negative tactics regarding independence rather than trying to convince the electorate that they have any policies worth voting for. 

In my opinion anyway. 

I think you're right.

The idea that NS/the SNP will somehow implode because of current events is wishful thinking. 

And if it pans out that way , it becomes another red face for the "naws". 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

coconut doug
16 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Really! Who is giving us these very low interest rates? Is it another one of Boris's pals using the pandemic to do his patriotic duty and provide a philantropic service for the hard pressed UK taxpayer?

I'd love to know who lent the UK money and at what interest rate as well as how that compares to other countries. You sound as if you know. Here's me thinking all they actually did was issue mor money from the Bank of England. 

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I'd love to know who lent the UK money

The Chinese most likely 

coconut doug
Just now, Boy Daniel said:

The Chinese most likely 

So you don't know or understand how it works. You just made it all up.

4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Really! Who is giving us these very low interest rates? Is it another one of Boris's pals using the pandemic to do his patriotic duty and provide a philantropic service for the hard pressed UK taxpayer?

I'd love to know who lent the UK money and at what interest rate as well as how that compares to other countries. You sound as if you know. Here's me thinking all they actually did was issue mor money from the Bank of England. 

He doesn't know what he's talking about : a combination of assumptions & invention.

The UKs credit rating was lowered last year on the back of brexit forecasts. 

Moody's has lowered the UK's sovereign debt rating by one notch to “Aa3” from “Aa2”, citing weakening economic and fiscal strength stemming from Brexit woes and coronavirus-induced shocks. ... In practice, rating downgrades have not affected Britain's ability to borrow or the price.

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Jamstomorrow
3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

James Anderson?  ;)

Just now, coconut doug said:

So you don't know or understand how it works. You just made it all up.

The sale of gilts and bills finances the Government's borrowing. A buyer of a gilt lends the Government money for a specified length of time. This is known as the gilt's maturity. In return the holder of the gilt receives an interest payment, known as the coupon payment every six months for the duration of the loan.

Who sells the gilts I’d need to do more research. 

Oh and by the way I never said I NEW who lends us the money so come of your high horse and wind your neck in.

8 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The buyers of these bonds, or "gilts", are mainly financial institutions, like pension funds, investment funds, banks and insurance companies. 
The answers are easily found on Google. 

4 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The buyers of these bonds, or "gilts", are mainly financial institutions, like pension funds, investment funds, banks and insurance companies. 

You mean  you don't know. 

You mean  you don't know. 

Very few know who exactly buys the gilts. 
You are right I didn’t know and I never claimed I did. 

coconut doug
37 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

If we have borrowed heavily in the situation you describe there should be information to show who has purchased our equity.  It seems not only do you not know what rate Scotland might get but you are unable to tell us what rate the UK actually got assuming some entity did in fact purchase UK bonds.

8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The sale of gilts and bills finances the Government's borrowing. A buyer of a gilt lends the Government money for a specified length of time. This is known as the gilt's maturity. In return the holder of the gilt receives an interest payment, known as the coupon payment every six months for the duration of the loan.

Who sells the gilts I’d need to do more research. 

Oh and by the way I never said I NEW who lends us the money so come of your high horse and wind your neck in.

Yes you did.

12 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The Chinese most likely 

6 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Who bought ours then and what are the interest rates we give them. I can't find the info but if you think its easily googled maybe you could supply a link. Are the rates we pay these people damaging to our economy in a time when negative interest rates exist? Would a Scotland starting from scratch not be in an advantageous position to the UK?

3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Yes you did.

No I didn’t feel free to post where I said I new. 
My throw a way guess was the Chinese most likely that not saying I new is it. 

Edited by Boy Daniel
MOST LIKELY

coconut doug
16 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Very few know who exactly buys the gilts. 
You are right I didn’t know and I never claimed I did. 

I say nobody has bought them and that's why you can't find out who did. 

The notion that we can borrow money cheaply is nothing but an accounting trick. Cheap money is an strong indicator that your economy is struggling.

coconut doug
1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

No I didn’t feel free to post where I said I new. 
My throw a way guess was the Chinese most likely that not saying I new is it. 

A guess then that is wide of the mark, just like the rest of your post. 

5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

If we have borrowed heavily in the situation you describe there should be information to show who has purchased our equity.  It seems not only do you not know what rate Scotland might get but you are unable to tell us what rate the UK actually got assuming some entity did in fact purchase UK bonds.

Yes you did.

Who bought ours then and what are the interest rates we give them. I can't find the info but if you think its easily googled maybe you could supply a link. Are the rates we pay these people damaging to our economy in a time when negative interest rates exist? Would a Scotland starting from scratch not be in an advantageous position to the UK?

Ive no idea who bought ours and I’m not really interested. 
As I said before pull your neck in. You burst in on here starting a fight well I’m ending it so sod off.

Edited by Boy Daniel
I’ve no idea (and don’t really care either)

7 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

A guess then that is wide of the mark, just like the rest of your post. 

Go away and pick a fight with some else. You certainly know how to spoil a discussion with your arrogant aggressiveness. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

coconut doug
Just now, Boy Daniel said:

Ive idea who bought ours and I’m not really interested. 
As I said before pull your neck in. You burst in on here starting a fight well I’m ending it so sod off.

It would be better if you had a semblance of understanding about the issue you wish to pontificate about. I'm not picking a fight i'm challenging the nonsense you have written. 

Why is it that you can't substantiate your points and then think you have the right to be rude when challenged? 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Really? I wonder what's changed from 2014 when they (could only obviously) predicted an independent Scotland would start with a credit rating of 'A'.  

Just now, coconut doug said:

It would be better if you had a semblance of understanding about the issue you wish to pontificate about. I'm not picking a fight i'm challenging the nonsense you have written. 

Why is it that you can't substantiate your points and then think you have the right to be rude when challenged? 

You might think I’m posting nonsense that’s you opinion which you are entitled to but it’s not nonsense. I don’t need to be an expert to make a comment or voice an opinion. I have every right to do so. 
you are picking a fight and that’s well seen in the tone of what you type and the way you entered the discussion. Go away and think about how you discuss something with someone with coming over as an arrogant Pratt. 

Anyway I’ve never blocked anyone yet you just might be the first. 

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's not about me and I'm not demanding anything - as you are well aware.

And for the record , we're looking to come home and have already  spent time in the s west looking for a house.

Good luck with the diaspora. 

I've got to hand it to you, you got your arse on a plate the last time we "debated" but spare me the invective. But then if you didn't have insults you wouldn't have anything. 

I just put your anglo nat arse on a plate you mean, looking for a house in the s west..😆

Cardiff Hearts

Some very uninformed people on here.

An independent Scotland, post CV19, would not attract a AAA sovereign risk rating from any agency. As a new independent nation , no track record of issuance of performance, why would it attract prime risk rating. More likely, junk status and resultant higher borrowing costs.

Furthermore, what currency would said bonds be denominated in ? A new currency with its inherent instabilities would add to the risk and hence both likely coupon and yield. 

The naivety that we can just issue paper and raise billions is terrifying. 

12 minutes ago, Cardiff Hearts said:

An independent Scotland, post CV19, would not attract a AAA sovereign risk rating from any agency. As a new independent nation , no track record of issuance of performance, why would it attract prime risk rating. More likely, junk status and resultant higher borrowing costs.

Furthermore, what currency would said bonds be denominated in ? A new currency with its inherent instabilities would add to the risk and hence both likely coupon and yield. 

Are you from Cardiff? 

Konrad von Carstein
10 minutes ago, Cardiff Hearts said:

Ah, well, it was a nice idea, but this guys says, we'd be fecked as an independent nation, so lets not bother

:berra: