The rise and fall of The SNP.

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I think that was a peace offering, Dawn. 

It was, and also a good natured jibe at him having the brass neck to pile onto anyone being accused of lacking a common touch. :rofl:

Can't ever say I don't make a repeated effort, eh?

11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Fair enough.

:rofl:

And as you've fairly pointed out, Tark, I've a lot yet to learn about Scotland. It's quite kind of Dawn to always come along to enrich my understanding of terms of endearment I've heard bandied about:

As opposed to a "soft" unionist if you like, with an understandable fear of change and the unknown--thanks to folk like Dawn and Ron I've never understood what "yoon ****" meant any better.

Nor, after Dawn out loud hoped for decades to pass before I could enjoy real ale on Scottish soil again, could it have gone down any more smoothly with the added bonus of knowing he was gagging on shitty malbec and a shoe leather steak.

Karma doesn't exist, but it's sure fun to pretend sometimes. :thumbsup:

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

manaliveits105

The snp stance on withholding information requested by the parliamentary committee on the Salmond Enquiry is now Trumpesque 

#nowurno 

9 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Of course it makes sense. You just don’t want it to. It’s commonplace to respect cultures that have zero personal relevance. 

My recent ancestors going back 100 years didn’t speak like that because nobody talks like the guy in the video. It’s made up nonsense. It’s a mixture of different dialects brought together by some weirdo who doesn’t want to preserve a language but wants to make one up. 

Teaching children more than one language is a great idea.  If people want their kids to learn garlic that’s up to them but why someone from central Scotland, as an example, would want to learn Gaelic is just odd to me. 

No, here's what you said "I do have respect for the Gaelic culture. It’s just a tiny part of Scottish culture though and is so small that imo is utterly irrelevant." as well as "i don't value it at all". You could have said it is irrelevant to me but you didn't, you said it is "utterley irrelevant" which means it is in your opinion irrelevant to everybody. You said you don't value it at all and considered that even spending one penny on it was a waste. How can that be showing respect to a part of your own countries culture especially when you wouldn't spend a penny on the Gaelic language? The answer is it can't and all you are trying to do is belittle and deligitimise Scotland's culture(because it is an integral part of our culture whether you like it or not) 

Nobody talks like the guy in the video and he is making it up form dialects he has brought together, you say. Are you denying the existence of the Scots language then? Do you not understand that it is the common parlance across almost the whole of Scotland that makes it a language. Have you not read Burns? Does he not write in Scots? Was it his second or even third  language?

6 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If people think the only cost to taxpayers to add the Gaelic name to road signs is the cost of paint then I give up.

The policy for dual language signs is simple. They will be introduced only in areas where at least 10% of the population speak Gaelic or on major arterial routes leading to them. There will be no new signs specifically for this purpose, the dual signing will only happen when signs are to be replaced.

Do you actually think people are going round painting Gaelic names on to existing signs? 

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Picts, FTW. No-one seems to remember about us. :)

If only your race had gone to the trouble of creating a written language, we could have been in the process of exterminating it  and the rest of your culture now.

5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Do me a favour, if my contribution isn't quite up to your high level of intellectual debate then just stfu and ignore me. The shed is primarily a football fans forum for chatting shit about everything. There are very few experts on here, mainly just normal working class guys who's love of Hearts have found them chucked together.

You on the other hand are in no way a football or a Hearts fan. You seem to get a kick out of appearing on here as some sort of intellectual woke poster who sneers and looks down on all who do not lick your arse. 

Please just FO. You really irritate the shit out of me. 

At least Shaun L knew a bit about football.

An appalling post on many levels.

31 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

No, here's what you said "I do have respect for the Gaelic culture. It’s just a tiny part of Scottish culture though and is so small that imo is utterly irrelevant." as well as "i don't value it at all". You could have said it is irrelevant to me but you didn't, you said it is "utterley irrelevant" which means it is in your opinion irrelevant to everybody. You said you don't value it at all and considered that even spending one penny on it was a waste. How can that be showing respect to a part of your own countries culture especially when you wouldn't spend a penny on the Gaelic language? The answer is it can't and all you are trying to do is belittle and deligitimise Scotland's culture(because it is an integral part of our culture whether you like it or not) 

Nobody talks like the guy in the video and he is making it up form dialects he has brought together, you say. Are you denying the existence of the Scots language then? Do you not understand that it is the common parlance across almost the whole of Scotland that makes it a language. Have you not read Burns? Does he not write in Scots? Was it his second or even third  language?

What you are doing is defining the words I used in the way that suits your view so you can then pigeonhole me. Utterly irrelevant does not necessarily mean utterly irrelevant to everyone, if I thought it was utterly irrelevant to everyone that is what I would have typed. I wouldn’t spend a penny on it because I don’t see any point in spending money on a dying language that people can’t be bothered to learn. Spending money on road signs in Gaelic when all Gaelic speakers in this country speak English is just silly, especially as some of the places didn’t ever speak Gaelic. I haven’t belittled Scotland’s culture at all, you are just super touchy and ultra defensive of anything you consider Scottish and dismissive of anyone who doesn’t fit in with your view. Gaelic is irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of people in this country. It plays no part in their life, they don’t speak it and won’t learn to speak it. As for the people in communities that still speak it, I’ve no problem with that. Why would I? If It were hundreds of years ago and Scots were beginning to speak Gaelic all over the country you’d be standing on some hilltop somewhere defending the right to speak Pictish. 

Burns didn’t write like the guy in that video and even if folk spoke like that 200 years ago (which I highly doubt) why would anyone want to go back to that and who decides? Why stop at 200 years why not revive the language from 300 years ago or 500. Or, we could just accept that language changes over time and develops into something different and accept that. People still use Scottish words, I do, my young relatives do, everyone I know does. The language doesn’t need saving. 

As for the bit about denying the existence of the language and common parlance and all that shite. Just read the words I typed, it’s plain English, again it’s doesn’t need your spin on it. 

Edited by GinRummy

19 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

If only your race had gone to the trouble of creating a written language, we could have been in the process of exterminating it  and the rest of your culture now.

You are literally barking mad. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

What you are doing is defining the words I used in the way that suits your view so you can then pigeonhole me. Utterly irrelevant does not necessarily mean utterly irrelevant to everyone, if I thought it was utterly irrelevant to everyone that is what I would have typed. I wouldn’t spend a penny on it because I don’t see any point in spending money on a dying language that people can’t be bothered to learn. Spending money on road signs in Gaelic when all Gaelic speakers in this country speak English is just silly, especially as some of the places didn’t ever speak Gaelic. I haven’t belittled Scotland’s culture at all, you are just super touchy and ultra defensive of anything you consider Scottish and dismissive of anyone who doesn’t fit in with your view. Gaelic is irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of people in this country. It plays no part in their life, they don’t speak it and won’t learn to speak it. As for the people in communities that still speak it, I’ve no problem with that. Why would I? If It were hundreds of years ago and Scots were beginning to speak Gaelic all over the country you’d be standing on some hilltop somewhere defending the right to speak Pictish. 

Burns didn’t write like the guy in that video and even if folk spoke like that 200 years ago (which I highly doubt) why would anyone want to go back to that and who decides? Why stop at 200 years why not revive the language from 300 years ago or 500. Or, we could just accept that language changes over time and develops into something different and accept that. People still use Scottish words, I do, my young relatives do, everyone I know does. The language doesn’t need saving. 

No. Words have meanings and it is you who is trying to change them. Utterly means completely and without exception so it means to everybody and not just some.

Calling something "utterly irrelevant" and having "no value" is belittling if it does have some value and clearly the Gaelic language and culture does have value.

People have the right to speak whatever language they like, Pictish Gaelic,Scots, English or whatever. Its important though for minority language speakers to see their language represented in the culture of their country. I'm not suggesting anybody should learn Gaelic or be forced to speak any language other than their own merely that they should respect it and facilitate its usage among those who wish to do so. That might result in some dual language road signs but that seems to be a problem for some. 

It doesn't matter in the slightest that Gaelic culture is deemed to be irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of people in this country. It is massively relevant to many thousands as is Scots. It is relevant beyond Scotland and an appreciation of the value of marginalised languages and cultures is a fundamental quality in all decent human beings.

I'm afraid Burns did speak Scots and the video was about Scots. I can also inform you that many people,myself included are able to understand most of what is said on the video.

I'm not being super touchy about Scotland either. I'm just challenging your assertions the Gaelic is "not worth a penny" "utterly irrelevant" and of "no value". These are your words and if you don't like them maybe you should choose them more carefully next time.

Just now, coconut doug said:

Something else you don't understand resulting in a personal insult.

I understand the hyperbolic use of ‘exterminating’ in the post I quotes. 

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

No. Words have meanings and it is you who is trying to change them. Utterly means completely and without exception so it means to everybody and not just some.

Calling something "utterly irrelevant" and having "no value" is belittling if it does have some value and clearly the Gaelic language and culture does have value.

People have the right to speak whatever language they like, Pictish Gaelic,Scots, English or whatever. Its important though for minority language speakers to see their language represented in the culture of their country. I'm not suggesting anybody should learn Gaelic or be forced to speak any language other than their own merely that they should respect it and facilitate its usage among those who wish to do so. That might result in some dual language road signs but that seems to be a problem for some. 

It doesn't matter in the slightest that Gaelic culture is deemed to be irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of people in this country. It is massively relevant to many thousands as is Scots. It is relevant beyond Scotland and an appreciation of the value of marginalised languages and cultures is a fundamental quality in all decent human beings.

I'm afraid Burns did speak Scots and the video was about Scots. I can also inform you that many people,myself included are able to understand most of what is said on the video.

I'm not being super touchy about Scotland either. I'm just challenging your assertions the Gaelic is "not worth a penny" "utterly irrelevant" and of "no value". These are your words and if you don't like them maybe you should choose them more carefully next time.

It’s is relevant to 1% of the population of this country if the other 99% were that bothered they’d learn the language. I have not once denied the right of anyone to speak the language of their choice. It does matter that the overwhelming majority of people do not speak it I’m afraid. An appreciation of the value of marginalised languages is not a fundamental quality in all decent human beings, you made that up and are passing it of as a fact. I’ll rephrase what I said though, just to be precise -  Gaelic is utterly irrelevant, has no value and is not worth a penny to the overwhelming majority of people in this country. It plays no part in their life whatsoever. It’s a dying language, that’s not my fault, times change and languages have changed since the beginning of humanity. 

I never denied that Burns spoke Scots. I said quite clearly that I don’t believe anyone has spoken like that guy in the video. I read a coupe of  Burns poems earlier while listening to it and it can’t possibly be classed as the same. I speak Scots and if I went into a pub slavering that mumbo jumbo my fellow Scots speakers in the pub would think I had taken leave of my senses. 

Once and for all on the road signs, I don’t really care, money is wasted by governments on much worse things than road signs. I just said it was pointless and not worth a penny of our money, which I think is entirely fair comment. 

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

The policy for dual language signs is simple. They will be introduced only in areas where at least 10% of the population speak Gaelic or on major arterial routes leading to them. There will be no new signs specifically for this purpose, the dual signing will only happen when signs are to be replaced.

Do you actually think people are going round painting Gaelic names on to existing signs? 

Most Gaelic road signs are for places that are originally called that.  People are moaning about money for Gaelic road signs when the money is getting spent into translating them into English.   If you lived in the north west of Scotland and had to replace a road sign but could only afford the lettering for one of the languages, do you spend it on the original Gaelic name or the english translation?   It's not as if ther are Gaelic road signs in ayrshire, Lanarkshire etc.   

English speakers are moaning g about the money getting spent on them.  

15 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Most Gaelic road signs are for places that are originally called that.  People are moaning about money for Gaelic road signs when the money is getting spent into translating them into English.   If you lived in the north west of Scotland and had to replace a road sign but could only afford the lettering for one of the languages, do you spend it on the original Gaelic name or the english translation?   It's not as if ther are Gaelic road signs in ayrshire, Lanarkshire etc.   

Absolutely true and currently there is no discernible cost to dual language signs.

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is there really that big an expense difference between making signs with Gaelic and making them without?

No.

SpruceBringsteen

I've not been in this thread for a while. Good stuff. :laugh:

I would say that going to the boozer is a section of Scottish culture that's utterly irrelevant, has no value and is not worth a penny to the majority of Scots but I didn't hear much wailing when the government lobbed them a few quid this year. No really worth getting up tight about tbh.

A Boy Named Crow
4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Och, it pains me to chip in to the shitshow that is this debate,  but this ^^^ isn't true if we're including signage on the rail network. The Glasgow Central to East Kilbride branch line has the station names spelt out phonetically in Gaelic as well as the English spellings. Always struck me as nothing more than a pretentious affectation. 

7 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Och, it pains me to chip in to the shitshow that is this debate,  but this ^^^ isn't true if we're including signage on the rail network. The Glasgow Central to East Kilbride branch line has the station names spelt out phonetically in Gaelic as well as the English spellings. Always struck me as nothing more than a pretentious affectation. 

Should be in Scots down here, rather than in either Gaelic or English. Don't really care, I'm surprised they are not in Polish anaw. 

Edited by ri Alban

12 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I thought they started on Glasgow and then just the north west etc.  Don't see the point of east kilbride.  

It does matter to people who live in places that have Gaelic origins.  

Governor Tarkin
22 hours ago, Justin Z said:

As opposed to a "soft" unionist if you like, with an understandable fear of change and the unknown.

Sound's like another pigeon hole to me. I'd be wary of those irl, but agree they can act as a useful as a blue touchpaper on here. 👍

Edited by Governor Tarkin

A Boy Named Crow
42 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I thought they started on Glasgow and then just the north west etc.  Don't see the point of east kilbride.  

It does matter to people who live in places that have Gaelic origins.  

I could be wrong,  it's years since I caught a train in Scotland,  but I remember seething at the tokenism.

I just looked it up, East Kilbride is apparently Cille  Bhrighde An Ear. I'd be flabbergasted if this was it's name amongst Gaelic speakers when the town was founded in the mid 20th century. I've nothing against people speaking Gaelic, learning it, teaching it to their kids, but those station signs are just daft - especially in an area where speaking Gaelic is a niche pursuit at most.

17 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I could be wrong,  it's years since I caught a train in Scotland,  but I remember seething at the tokenism.

I just looked it up, East Kilbride is apparently Cille  Bhrighde An Ear. I'd be flabbergasted if this was it's name amongst Gaelic speakers when the town was founded in the mid 20th century. I've nothing against people speaking Gaelic, learning it, teaching it to their kids, but those station signs are just daft - especially in an area where speaking Gaelic is a niche pursuit at most.

It is a Gaelic name.  It's from kil meaning place of worship and st bridget.   There's a kilbride in argyll that was an original diocese.   I think that's it.   I get the gripes when money is spent in places like the central belt, but the vast majority of road signs are north of Glasgow.   

Just for the sake of it, what about the East Coast?  Towns Like Penicuik derive from Gaelic, though in this instance p - Gaelic (Brythonic).  And as , population wise, the Lothians and Borders population come down from a Brythonic speaking tribe called the Votadini, and as our population is numerically far greater than the Highlands. shouldn't we have our road signs in Welsh going by the arguments for road signs in c - Gaelic for Highland towns of Gaelic origin?

Probably applies to South West Scotland too.

And to muddy the waters still further, most people I know speak some form of Scots (not the rubbish on that video), but write in English - so why have bi-lingual signs at all if 99% of us read and write in English, and nothing else.   (Please note Alasdair Grey and Irvine Welsh write in gobbledygook and only pretend its Scots). 

The SNP debating a 4 day working week at their virtual conference. Not a day goes by without some new nonsensical, leftie proposition coming from them. Had any of them ever run a business, rather than coming straight from uni or some public sector quango, they would know how unworkable and unaffordable it would be. No doubt expecting rUK taxpayers to fund their ideological garbage again.

manaliveits105

Yep with half the country not working furloughed or working from home - a four day week would be a real vote winner

finger on the pulse as usual 

17 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yep with half the country not working furloughed or working from home - a four day week would be a real vote winner

finger on the pulse as usual 

Yes, they would be better concentrating on their local income tax manifesto promise from all those years ago - whatever happened to that? - or the extra welfare powers they demanded and handed back, instead of coming up with more nonsensical ideas. Playing to the core Govanhill and Lochee vote.

44 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The SNP debating a 4 day working week at their virtual conference. Not a day goes by without some new nonsensical, leftie proposition coming from them. Had any of them ever run a business, rather than coming straight from uni or some public sector quango, they would know how unworkable and unaffordable it would be. No doubt expecting rUK taxpayers to fund their ideological garbage again.

Yaas. The return of the Sunday sesh!!!

sleep till 12 on a Monday!

I’m voting for it!!!

15 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I’m voting for it!!!

🤣. Never thought of it like that. You've convinced me👍

5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The nerve, debating things to check the angles, grrr

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The nerve, debating things to check the angles, grrr

I know, what next work an extra hour per day during BST and an hour less per day GMT. Ideas are for idiots. 

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I’m voting for it!!!

:pleasing:

Neil Dongcaster
12 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I do run a business. We have actually seen a pro-rata productivity rise since switching to a three day week in May due to difficulties trading under Covid.

We are seriously considering dropping to a four day week as standard and giving everyone the choice between working a Friday or Monday.

5 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I do run a business. We have actually seen a pro-rata productivity rise since switching to a three day week in May due to difficulties trading under Covid.

We are seriously considering dropping to a four day week as standard and giving everyone the choice between working a Friday or Monday.

:jj:

8 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I run a business as well and everyone’s situation is different but people just automatically run places at 9-5 Monday to Friday without really thinking about what actually works best. Myself and a colleague do all the admin and used to both work 9-5pm mon-fri. Changed it up a couple of years ago and now I work 6-1pm mon-thu and he works 6-1pm tue-fri. Get more done during those times, without sales staff and the phone ringing for the first few hours, than we ever did before. 

Brighton Jambo
11 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

While I totally agree productivity improves with a reduced working week it shouldn’t be for a government to start imposing that on business.  Each business is different and individuals within those businesses have different work life balance priorities.  Four day week might not suit working parents for example.  

By all means the SG should advocate the benefits but then step back and let business decide what’s best.  

On 26/11/2020 at 17:19, Smithee said:

Is there really that big an expense difference between making signs with Gaelic and making them without?

Depends if you are replacing a lot of signs with new signs. Personally I always thought one of the purposes of a sign was clarity. Adding a Gaelic translation for the benefit of the 1% or whatever who can also read and speak English anyway seems a bit frivolous. If it boosts tourism then I guess it cannot be a bad thing, but if we go down the route of the Welsh and start making kids learn Gaelic in schools just on a reversionist whim then we are doomed to continue to be a backward-looking little country on the fringes of Europe.

jack D and coke
17 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I do actually love it when someone comes in with a post like this. Imagine any government anywhere looking at ways for you you to have a better life eh. Shocking stuff. Less hours=more people in employment too I think? Win win?
Has it not actually been proven to increase productivity too? 

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

While I totally agree productivity improves with a reduced working week it shouldn’t be for a government to start imposing that on business.  Each business is different and individuals within those businesses have different work life balance priorities.  Four day week might not suit working parents for example.  

By all means the SG should advocate the benefits but then step back and let business decide what’s best.  

Wouldn’t argue with that. 

11 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, they would be better concentrating on their local income tax manifesto promise from all those years ago - whatever happened to that? - or the extra welfare powers they demanded and handed back, instead of coming up with more nonsensical ideas. Playing to the core Govanhill and Lochee vote.

The local income tax idea was a loony leftie idea that thankfully got binned

Wouldn't  surprise me if they tried to bring it back though.

2 minutes ago, Candy said:

The local income tax idea was a loony leftie idea that thankfully got binned

Wouldn't  surprise me if they tried to bring it back though.

Can’t really remember that tbh. Why was it such a bad idea. Sounds like it could get a bit complicated I suppose. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Can’t really remember that tbh. Why was it such a bad idea. Sounds like it could get a bit complicated I suppose. 

It wasn’t such a bad idea tbh, the tax system needs a massive overhaul imo. But it’s a bad idea to people who just see or hear SNP and then can’t function properly.  

Just now, GinRummy said:

It was to replace council tax with an income based tax.

I remember working out at the time that me, staying on my own,  in a tiny 1 bedroom flat could be paying more than a large family because I had the temerity to have worked hard to get where I was in life.

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

It wasn’t such a bad idea tbh, the tax system needs a massive overhaul imo. But it’s a bad idea to people who just see or hear SNP and then can’t function properly.  

😀