The rise and fall of The SNP.

56 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Im not.

I actually bought a council flat back in the day but I realise now what a disaster that was for society in general. My daughter wont get on the property ladder until shes about 30 if shes lucky.

We should NEVER have sold the council housing stock and Labour should have built a new one for every one they sold at the time.

I didnt see it at the time but it was the biggest con Thatcher foisted upon us. Kidding us on it was great to own your own house then taking a massive wedge when you pass it onto your kids or taking it all together when you have to go into a private care home.

Hardly a con.  The discounts were massive.  

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

2 hours ago, Candy said:

That's why it was a con. Public assets stolen to bribe voters. 

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

More pish sprouted by folk who just CANNOT SEE whats happening here.

PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!!!

OK, Lets throw the doors open and have a big party!!!!

BTW, Pubs are open in East Lothian because we all wear our masks and wash our hands....just like we were asked to.

Did the SNP also create the Covid pandemic?

I dont think the SNP have stated that we are all "raging alcoholics" but Scotland's relationship with alcohol has been well documented since Labour was in power!

Nice meltdown. :rofl:

3 hours ago, Candy said:

That’s the point though. It was great value for those who took up the offer to buy but not for everybody else and certainly not for future generations. It was a short sighted policy that, even at the time, was a disaster waiting to happen unless (as Governor Tarkin) touched on, massive investment and widespread house building were part of the policy. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So the wee Calvanist in Bute House is now cancelling Hogmanay. I wonder how much she's hoping that this pandemic crushes the pub industry in Scotland? After all we are a nation of raging alcoholics according to the SNP. 

Blackford busy patrolling the border in his Nazi tank too

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Closing the border must be a wet dream come true for both of them😅

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He's an obnoxious, vile, repulsive, odious, loathsome twat 

Seymour M Hersh
48 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He's so fat he'll need to glue two together. Hibs twat! 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He's an obnoxious, vile, repulsive, odious, loathsome twat 

He seems to put a lot of energy into it too. He's always flapping his gums about something or other 

32 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scotsman wins Great British Bake Off 

just like those sneaky yoons to promote better together 

Was the uj bunting oot?

Mind GBBO series 3 when an actual Scottish unionist got to the final and made a "Union Cake" that was described as "just 5 different cakes arranged on one board and not harmonizing around a single theme"?

He lost.

:greggy:

And back in the real world, today saw Scotland become the first nation in the world to offer female sanitary products to anyone who needs them for free.

Projected to cost only about £9mil a year.

SNP were initially against it but listened and came around to the idea and the bill passed through Parliament unanimously.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

And back in the real world, today saw Scotland become the first nation in the world to offer female sanitary products to anyone who needs them for free.

SNP were initially against it but listened and came around to the idea and the bill passed through Parliament unanimously.

Good. I'm no commune hippy (yet) but I do believe that a government's role is to provide the things that it's citizens need, to serve us not to rule over us.

It's the real world of course so a share-everything utopia can't exist but there's got to be a better balance than what we have now. Personally I'd have free local transport and heavily subsidised trains, that kind of thing.

In ancient Rome citizens got free food, wine and circuses - I'd vote for that.

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, Cade said:

SNP were initially against it but eventually caved in 

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Like a real government should. Grown up politics that sticks in the craw of the britnats on here.

Governor Tarkin
21 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Im not.

I actually bought a council flat back in the day but I realise now what a disaster that was for society in general. My daughter wont get on the property ladder until shes about 30 if shes lucky.

We should NEVER have sold the council housing stock and Labour should have built a new one for every one they sold at the time.

I didnt see it at the time but it was the biggest con Thatcher foisted upon us. Kidding us on it was great to own your own house then taking a massive wedge when you pass it onto your kids or taking it all together when you have to go into a private care home.

I broadly agree with where you're coming from, but feel that the many ordinary working class folk who benefitted from right to buy, and whose lives have been transformed in the process, are often overlooked - or worse, denigrated for having the audacity to do well out of it.

You can stroll around area's of Edinburgh and appreciate the large parts of it that have been totally transformed for the better due to ownership, and the pride and stake in the neighbourhood that comes with it.

The scandal wasn't letting folk buy their homes, it was not following this up with a comprehensive housebuilding program to replace public stock, and not legislating against the accumulation of former social housing stock by corporate landlords - or banning the letting of them altogether.

I feel for the youngsters today. I was lucky enough to arrive back in the country from another year pissing about on the continent in the late 90's and get a 100% mortgage a week later. I had to have an insane indemnity guarantee fee added on to the mortgage and was tied in to a punitive interest rate for three years so was totally shafted out of a small fortune and it was a struggle, but at least there was a way to get on the ladder.

5 hours ago, XB52 said:

Like a real government should. Grown up politics that sticks in the craw of the britnats on here.

Jolly good.  Maybe they'll also change their mind about blocking the Salmond enquiry too.

14 hours ago, Cade said:

Free to those who need them but don't pay taxes.

Tax payers get nothing for free from Government regardless of them being Tory, SNP or Labour.

17 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Free to those who need them but don't pay taxes.

Tax payers get nothing for free from Government regardless of them being Tory, SNP or Labour.

The NHS, Prescriptions, Education, Higher Education, Bridge Tolls etc. (I know you meant we pay for them within our taxes but that's what our taxes should be for. I remember paying taxes AND paying for all those things too).

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The NHS, Prescriptions, Education, Higher Education, Bridge Tolls etc. (I know you meant we pay for them within our taxes but that's what our taxes should be for. I remember paying taxes AND paying for all those things too).

We pay more tax in Scotland than elsewhere than the UK, nothing is free to the tax payer.

I should add I don't mind paying extra for the things you mention but to suggest they are free is insulting to people who get shafted by the tax man.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We pay more tax in Scotland than elsewhere than the UK, nothing is free to the tax payer.

I should add I don't mind paying extra for the things you mention but to suggest they are free is insulting to people who get shafted by the tax man.

Do we REALLY pay more tax than elsewhere in the UK though. I don't think you do until you earn well over the average salary or something and even then its hardly a rip-off.

I would happily pay a bit more for a bit more socially minded spending but I think we are on the same page, its not "free" as someone has to pay for it but I prefer my taxes to be used progressively and not just on nuclear bombs, big London projects, the royal family or expanding the navy!

23 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Do we REALLY pay more tax than elsewhere in the UK though. I don't think you do until you earn well over the average salary or something and even then its hardly a rip-off.

I would happily pay a bit more for a bit more socially minded spending but I think we are on the same page, its not "free" as someone has to pay for it but I prefer my taxes to be used progressively and not just on nuclear bombs, big London projects, the royal family or expanding the navy!

Or Gaelic road signs.

But I agree with paying more, but hate it when the governments say it's free.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I broadly agree with where you're coming from, but feel that the many ordinary working class folk who benefitted from right to buy, and whose lives have been transformed in the process, are often overlooked - or worse, denigrated for having the audacity to do well out of it.

You can stroll around area's of Edinburgh and appreciate the large parts of it that have been totally transformed for the better due to ownership, and the pride and stake in the neighbourhood that comes with it.

The scandal wasn't letting folk buy their homes, it was not following this up with a comprehensive housebuilding program to replace public stock, and not legislating against the accumulation of former social housing stock by corporate landlords - or banning the letting of them altogether.

I feel for the youngsters today. I was lucky enough to arrive back in the country from another year pissing about on the continent in the late 90's and get a 100% mortgage a week later. I had to have an insane indemnity guarantee fee added on to the mortgage and was tied in to a punitive interest rate for three years so was totally shafted out of a small fortune and it was a struggle, but at least there was a way to get on the ladder.

Good post. I made an ill thought out comment on this the other day. It’s impossible to please everyone and with cynicism aside it did benefit those it was intended for. 

4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Or Gaelic road signs.

But I agree with paying more, but hate it when the governments say it's free.

The only cost for Gaelic road signs is the paint.

18 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Why?

Everyone that speaks Gaelic speaks English. Hardly anyone speaks Gaelic. Hardly anyone wants to speak Gaelic. If it costs a fiver in total to have all those road signs in Gaelic it was a waste of money. 

Edited by GinRummy

manaliveits105

John Swinney tells Scottish Parliament he is not persuaded to release information to the parliamentary committee in the Salmond enquiry 

The snp in action right there folks 

disgraceful 

Malinga the Swinga
On 21/11/2020 at 23:27, GinRummy said:

It’s a con. The aspiration is made easy for one generation and in turn makes it more and more difficult for future generations to have any realistic aspirations.  

Don’t get me wrong, I benefited directly through inheritance, from my mum, from RTB but my personal experience of it doesn’t change the big picture. 

If you or I were the PM I’m fairly certain one of our first priorities was to make sure everyone had somewhere to live. The government can’t invest money in social housing to the extent of building enough houses for everyone to live in because house prices would suffer to such an extent that the market would collapse leading to the economy, as a whole, to collapse as well. That is the corner the government has painted itself in to. 

Well, there is an empty house just off George Street in Edinburgh due to the refusal of First Minister to stay there because she only wants to live in Glasgow. 

That could be used for people to stay in. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

John Swinney tells Scottish Parliament he is not persuaded to release information to the parliamentary committee in the Salmond enquiry 

disgraceful 

Yep, another shocking decision by Swinney. Desperately trying to cover scandal up and Bury story. He must have something over NS as he lies and stumbles through crisis after crisis, but never gets called to account. 

Not a surprise when NS herself lies to parliament over Salmond affair though. 

Corrupt lying *******s, the whole lot of them. 

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

disgraceful 

Boris Johnson, your hero, is not persuaded to sack Priti Patel despite a report containing overwhelming evidence that she is a bullying nasty fat arsed boot, UK government in action right there meathead.

Disgraceful!

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Everyone that speaks Gaelic speaks English. Hardly anyone speaks Gaelic. Hardly anyone wants to speak Gaelic. If it costs a fiver in total to have all those road signs in Gaelic it was a waste of money. 

You value this part of Scotland's culture at less than a fiver.

I don't like cultural genocide especially when it's mine.

4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You value this part of Scotland's culture at less than a fiver.

I don't like cultural genocide especially when it's mine.

I don’t value it at all. It’s become a part of our culture that only applies to a very small part of the country. Things change and that doesn’t equal cultural genocide. Using the phrase in this context is ridiculous. 

Having road signs in Gaelic and a tv channel that shows a Gaelic speaking Postman Pat achieves nothing. 

Edited by GinRummy

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t value it at all. It’s become a part of our culture that only applies to a very small part of the country. Things change and that doesn’t equal cultural genocide. Using the phrase in this context is ridiculous. 

Having road signs in Gaelic and a tv channel that shows a Gaelic speaking Postman Pat achieves nothing. 

Some people like their own culture and like to hear and see their own language. At primary school many of us had our own language beaten out of us as it was deemed to be inferior, even though it was much more expressive especially for us. I think every language has it's own intrinsic value but if you don't then IMO it's your loss.

Destroying a language is damaging a culture and what you suggest should happen to Gaelic would be an act of cultural genocide without a doubt. 

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Some people like their own culture and like to hear and see their own language. At primary school many of us had our own language beaten out of us as it was deemed to be inferior, even though it was much more expressive especially for us. I think every language has it's own intrinsic value but if you don't then IMO it's your loss.

Destroying a language is damaging a culture and what you suggest should happen to Gaelic would be an act of cultural genocide without a doubt. 

You were beaten at primary school for speaking Gaelic? For some of us it’s not our own language, English is our own language. I’m from Edinburgh. Gaelic isn’t part of my culture. 

Edited by GinRummy

24 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Boris Johnson, your hero, is not persuaded to sack Priti Patel despite a report containing overwhelming evidence that she is a bullying nasty fat arsed boot, UK government in action right there meathead.

Disgraceful!

aye, but whit aboot the Toaries eh. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Candy said:

aye, but whit aboot the Toaries eh. 

Poster I replied to:

1) ALWAYS criticises SNP, no matter the merits or other wise of whatever they have done

2) Is more than capable of responding to my responding in kind to his post

3) Isn't going to shag you, so get back under your rock :) 

53 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yes. 

OK then. Thanks for the indepth analysis.

Edited by Pans Jambo

I've lived in Scotland all my days and I don’t  think I've ever once met someone who speaks Gaelic.

You'd be lucky if more than 1% of people in Scotland  speak it.  Most likely a bunch of church elders in the western isles.

Certainly not my culture.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You were beaten at primary school for speaking Gaelic? For some of us it’s not our own language, English is our own language. I’m from Edinburgh. Gaelic isn’t part of my culture. 

I didn't say that i spoke Gaelic.

Clearly you don't respect other cultures even those from within your own country. That's your problem, not mine.

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Candy said:

I've lived in Scotland all my days and I don’t  think I've ever once met someone who speaks Gaelic.

You'd be lucky if more than 1% of people in Scotland  speak it.  Most likely a bunch of church elders in the western isles.

Certainly not my culture.

It may surprise you after my response to your last post, however, I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

12 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I got the belt from some empire loving arsehole of a teacher for saying “aye” instead of  yes in primary 4. Nazi.

Just now, coconut doug said:

I didn't say that i spoke Gaelic.

Clearly you don't respect other cultures even those from within your own country. That's your problem, not mine.

That’s not clear at all. You’ve just made an insulting accusation based on very little. Why were you beaten at school? Why can’t you be bothered learning Gaelic if it’s so important?